Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
IAC & Master Solvers Club / Re: 2024 FEBRUARY MSC
« Last post by Masse24 on January 01, 2024, 05:25:59 PM »
Scores are in.

Three 700s and one 690. Four IAC members making the Bridge World honor roll: Blu, CCR3, masse24, JCreech.
« Last post by jcreech on January 01, 2024, 01:49:25 PM »
Final submission
-------------------
PROBLEM A: Pass
PROBLEM B: 1 Notrump
PROBLEM C: 2 Hearts
PROBLEM D: 2 Notrump
PROBLEM E: 2 Diamonds.  My style is generally to overcall with five or more, then double later.  No good reason to change from that style.
PROBLEM F: 4 Hearts
PROBLEM G: Redouble.  I still like splintering, but is 3 !D or 4 !D the splinter.  I'm not selling out short of 5 !C, so I will show extra strength with redouble, which also is the cheapest game, and await developments.
PROBLEM H: Heart Queen

Changes to initial guesses are indicated with reasoning.  HNY all.
« Last post by ccr3 on January 01, 2024, 03:36:27 AM »
-------------------
PROBLEM C: 1 Notrump
PROBLEM E: 1 Notrump
PROBLEM G: 2 Hearts
PROBLEM H: Heart Queen
« Last post by Masse24 on January 01, 2024, 02:41:38 AM »
SOLUTIONS FOR:
Todd Holes

PROBLEM C: 2 Hearts
PROBLEM D: Pass
PROBLEM G: 2 Notrump
PROBLEM H: Diamond Jack
« Last post by blubayou on December 31, 2023, 09:34:38 PM »
SOLUTIONS FOR: Jock McQuade3 Bag End, Hobbiton OR
.A.PROBLEM A: Pass   ALL my meagre extras are in the WRONG PLACES. wouldn't even redouble if six gets smacked
PROBLEM B: Double  improper doubles are part of the unavoidable misery of balancing auctions
PROBLEM C: 2 Spades THE CUE-INVITE ALTERNATIVE either leads to the same 2 !S  spot, or starts us spiraling down some rabbit-hole.
PROBLEM G: 4 Clubs --  If the single raise on problem C doesnt get me a zero,  maybe this four club bid will, but I         definitely have chickened out of my earlier 3NT choice
PROBLEM H: Diamond Jack
« Last post by jcreech on December 29, 2023, 05:04:39 AM »
Don't know,  but it wasn't me.  I may have partially disagreed, but would have respected your right to be wrong-headed.
« Last post by blubayou on December 29, 2023, 03:38:29 AM »
what happened to my early  problem  A, B, C  guesses??  Well there wasnt much juicy insights in those  ...or any other until the "ahahh!" that finally gelled  for the lead problem :)
« Last post by Masse24 on December 29, 2023, 03:21:32 AM »

Problem H:>>  Hang on to your seat, folks!  Opener MUST HAVE 8 running spades (even all nine of them)  and the other 4 or 5  are all aces and king(s).  Hence,  he has the SINGLETON diamond ace.   Leading either QJ10  is liable to let him excape for down one, but underleading the diamond king will at least build us a 2nd setting trick, and may put him down five, if partner has !D Q9xxx.
                                     ---Diamond Jack---[/font]

I agree, Blu. Diamond Jack.
But I see a different construction. Ten hearts to the !H AKxxxxxxxx And a bevy of stiff aces!  ;)
No lead can give this away. We have them set. But the !D J keeps partner's Q in his hand, and when I get in with the !H Q we are off to the races.
I hope.

« Last post by Masse24 on December 28, 2023, 10:17:17 PM »
PROBLEM A: Pass. Unanimous? I cannot construct a hand for partner that would have a chance at a grand that would not first go through some sort of raise. But aren't these MSC problems supposed to have three or more viable solutions? Maybe they're changing the rules on us?  ;D
« Last post by blubayou on December 27, 2023, 04:46:13 PM »

Problem D:>After pulling out the 4 Spade card, I am asking for a do-over and bidding just..]                                            ---Two Notrump---

Problem E:>>  I expect to be envious soon of the north-souths scoring minus 80, but...                                               ---One Notrump---

problem F                             ---Four Hearts---

problem G:  might chicken out on this tomorrow, but for now
                                    ---Three Notrump---

Problem H:>>  Hang on to your seat, folks!  Opener MUST HAVE 8 running spades (even all nine of them)  and the other 4 or 5  are all aces and king(s).  Hence,  he has the SINGLETON diamond ace.   Leading either QJ10  is liable to let him excape for down one, but underleading the diamond king will at least build us a 2nd setting trick, and may put him down five, if partner has !D Q9xxx.
                                     ---Diamond Jack---
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10