Author Topic: 2024 FEBRUARY MSC  (Read 1944 times)

Masse24

• View Profile
2024 FEBRUARY MSC
« on: December 02, 2023, 10:47:54 PM »
FEBRUARY 2024 MSC
Deadline: DECEMBER 31 at 11:59 p.m. (ET)

Submit your FEBRUARY MSC responses here: The Bridge World - MASTER SOLVERS CLUB

BWS 2017 System: BWS 2017
BWS 2017 POLLS, CHANGES AND ADDITIONS: BWS 2017 - Polls, Changes, and Additions
  • Bridge World Standard 2017 (BWS or BWS2017) is effective beginning with the January 2017 Master Solvers' Club problems. This page shows (1) the results of the panelist polls that were used to adjust the system; and (2) the changes in and the additions to Bridge World Standard 2001 (BWS2001) that were made.
    In the listings of the questions and answers, an asterisk indicates the BWS2001 agreement; the proportion of the expert votes for each item, rounded to the nearest percent, is shown in brackets.

IAC Forum MSC Scores

If you post to The Bridge World you will receive a confirmation immediately and by email. It is preferred that you copy/paste that confirmation as it is easy to read due to the formatting. (Thanks!)

Also, if you post to The Bridge World those will be your official bids. If you make a mistake (try not to as it has happened), you must live with it.

“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

jcreech

• View Profile
Re: 2024 FEBRUARY MSC
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2023, 04:33:11 PM »
So many things were happening last month, I missed the deadline. My guess of what I might have done was very good, but I have second guessed myself out of good decisions before.

Here are my initial thoughts for this month.

A.  Pass.  Partner has pre-empted a sensible auction to a grand, so I will sell out to his choice. I get the post-mortem point here.

B.  1NT. I will take the charge if the downgrade costs us. I also hate doubling with AQ-tight in spades. I haven't checked but I suspect KnR will not rate this as a full 15.  (KnR  = 14.65)

C.  2 !H. I wanted to make a responsive double but RHO did not cooperate.  The cue will tell partner I have strength and I hope Jx will suffice for fit.

D.  2NT.  I hate this bid, but I have to treat this hand as balanced and it's red at IMPs, so I  need to try for game.

E. Double.  What else?  I have length in the unbids, opening values, and four in the other major. I could overcall my five-bagger, but emphasis on the major is important.

F.  4 !H.  Torn between game and  slam.  Partner's negative double should put us in or close to slam,  but do I really have my full values? I think not, so I will take the low road and bid the heart game rather than cue and possibly lose the ability to show the suit at a makeable level.

G.  4 !D.  Splinter. Hopefully, partner will know what to do with a heart  void and club ace.

H.  !H Q.  The safest lead. A diamond might strike gold, but I just want the contract to go down, and anything else gives the contract a chance, albeit small.  I truly believe that declarer is looking at long spades and, at worst, one outside loser (with the hope of a pseudo squeeze).  I want to avoid a miracle result.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2023, 06:01:37 PM by jcreech »
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

hoki

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2023, 04:46:42 AM »
A Pass (double is still takeout, lol!).

B Double. The problem comes next round: Do I bid 1NT over 1S (yes) and do I pass over 2S (yes)?

C 1NT, someone bid that on B, so stoppers have never ever worried any of the panellists afaics.

D 3C, checking back to see if responder raised with just three-card support - and inviting game at the same time.

E 2D, just as "obvious" as the 1NT bid someone else suggested - or double with a singleton spade?

F 3NT, which doesn't necessarily mean that I'm giving up on slam - just that it's IMPs and I'm hoping nine tricks are easier than ten.

G 3C, game looks a long way away.

H SJ - so the impossible opening bid is based on a running spade suit. Huh? Duh.

Seasons greetings, Oliver

blubayou

• IACAdmins
  • lifelong director [1977-2010] and haunter of ACBL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2023, 04:46:13 PM »

Problem D:>After pulling out the 4 Spade card, I am asking for a do-over and bidding just..]                                            ---Two Notrump---

Problem E:>>  I expect to be envious soon of the north-souths scoring minus 80, but...                                               ---One Notrump---

problem F                             ---Four Hearts---

problem G:  might chicken out on this tomorrow, but for now
                                    ---Three Notrump---

Problem H:>>  Hang on to your seat, folks!  Opener MUST HAVE 8 running spades (even all nine of them)  and the other 4 or 5  are all aces and king(s).  Hence,  he has the SINGLETON diamond ace.   Leading either QJ10  is liable to let him excape for down one, but underleading the diamond king will at least build us a 2nd setting trick, and may put him down five, if partner has !D Q9xxx.
                                     ---Diamond Jack---
« Last Edit: December 27, 2023, 06:50:19 PM by blubayou »
often it is better to beg forgiveness, than ask permission

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2023, 10:17:17 PM »
PROBLEM A: Pass. Unanimous? I cannot construct a hand for partner that would have a chance at a grand that would not first go through some sort of raise. But aren't these MSC problems supposed to have three or more viable solutions? Maybe they're changing the rules on us?  ;D
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2023, 03:21:32 AM »

Problem H:>>  Hang on to your seat, folks!  Opener MUST HAVE 8 running spades (even all nine of them)  and the other 4 or 5  are all aces and king(s).  Hence,  he has the SINGLETON diamond ace.   Leading either QJ10  is liable to let him excape for down one, but underleading the diamond king will at least build us a 2nd setting trick, and may put him down five, if partner has !D Q9xxx.
                                     ---Diamond Jack---[/font]

I agree, Blu. Diamond Jack.
But I see a different construction. Ten hearts to the !H AKxxxxxxxx And a bevy of stiff aces!  ;)
No lead can give this away. We have them set. But the !D J keeps partner's Q in his hand, and when I get in with the !H Q we are off to the races.
I hope.

blubayou

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2023, 03:38:29 AM »
what happened to my early  problem  A, B, C  guesses??  Well there wasnt much juicy insights in those  ...or any other until the "ahahh!" that finally gelled  for the lead problem :)

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2023, 05:04:39 AM »
Don't know,  but it wasn't me.  I may have partially disagreed, but would have respected your right to be wrong-headed.

blubayou

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2023, 09:34:38 PM »
SOLUTIONS FOR: Jock McQuade3 Bag End, Hobbiton OR
.A.PROBLEM A: Pass   ALL my meagre extras are in the WRONG PLACES. wouldn't even redouble if six gets smacked
PROBLEM B: Double  improper doubles are part of the unavoidable misery of balancing auctions
PROBLEM C: 2 Spades THE CUE-INVITE ALTERNATIVE either leads to the same 2 !S  spot, or starts us spiraling down some rabbit-hole.
PROBLEM D: 2 Notrump
PROBLEM E: 1 Notrump
PROBLEM F: 4 Hearts
PROBLEM G: 4 Clubs --  If the single raise on problem C doesnt get me a zero,  maybe this four club bid will, but I         definitely have chickened out of my earlier 3NT choice
PROBLEM H: Diamond Jack
« Last Edit: December 31, 2023, 09:56:51 PM by blubayou »

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2024, 02:41:38 AM »
SOLUTIONS FOR:
Todd Holes

PROBLEM A: Pass
PROBLEM B: 1 Notrump
PROBLEM C: 2 Hearts
PROBLEM D: Pass
PROBLEM G: 2 Notrump
PROBLEM H: Diamond Jack

ccr3

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2024, 03:36:27 AM »
-------------------
PROBLEM C: 1 Notrump
PROBLEM G: 2 Hearts
PROBLEM H: Heart Queen

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2024, 01:49:25 PM »
Final submission
-------------------
PROBLEM C: 2 Hearts
PROBLEM E: 2 Diamonds.  My style is generally to overcall with five or more, then double later.  No good reason to change from that style.
PROBLEM G: Redouble.  I still like splintering, but is 3 !D or 4 !D the splinter.  I'm not selling out short of 5 !C, so I will show extra strength with redouble, which also is the cheapest game, and await developments.
PROBLEM H: Heart Queen

Changes to initial guesses are indicated with reasoning.  HNY all.

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2024, 05:25:59 PM »
Scores are in.

Three 700s and one 690. Four IAC members making the Bridge World honor roll: Blu, CCR3, masse24, JCreech.

yleexotee

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2024, 06:51:17 PM »
Forgot to post - think its about a 630 score

Your Solutions for the February 2024 Contest
-------------------
PROBLEM B: Double
PROBLEM C: 2 Clubs
PROBLEM D: 3 Clubs
PROBLEM E: 2 Diamonds