Author Topic: 2024 APRIL MSC  (Read 1847 times)

Masse24

• View Profile
2024 APRIL MSC
« on: February 02, 2024, 11:56:24 PM »
APRIL 2024 MSC
Deadline: FEBRUARY 28 at 11:59 p.m. (ET)

Submit your APRIL MSC responses here: The Bridge World - MASTER SOLVERS CLUB

BWS 2017 System: BWS 2017
BWS 2017 POLLS, CHANGES AND ADDITIONS: BWS 2017 - Polls, Changes, and Additions
  • Bridge World Standard 2017 (BWS or BWS2017) is effective beginning with the January 2017 Master Solvers' Club problems. This page shows (1) the results of the panelist polls that were used to adjust the system; and (2) the changes in and the additions to Bridge World Standard 2001 (BWS2001) that were made.
    In the listings of the questions and answers, an asterisk indicates the BWS2001 agreement; the proportion of the expert votes for each item, rounded to the nearest percent, is shown in brackets.

IAC Forum MSC Scores

If you post to The Bridge World you will receive a confirmation immediately and by email. It is preferred that you copy/paste that confirmation as it is easy to read due to the formatting. (Thanks!)

Also, if you post to The Bridge World those will be your official bids. If you make a mistake (try not to as it has happened), you must live with it.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2024, 10:41:43 PM by Masse24 »
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

blubayou

• IACAdmins
  • lifelong director [1977-2010] and haunter of ACBL
    • View Profile
Re: 2024 APRIL MSC
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2024, 12:08:04 AM »
Eight quick and wild views:

A:  get in with my spade or his diamond ..then run 6 clubs + a,k of hearts.  --3NT--
Problem A:>> There are tonnes of legitimate double-and bid-in-clubs hands that don't run that suit facing a singleton--or show up with a 2nd spade stopper.  So, discretion may be the better part of valor.  On a really bad day, pard's 3C may not even com in---on a REALLY bad day it might go down while 3NT DOES come in (xx, AQ, AKx, AJxxxx)?
   Anyway  I am  switching to the cowardly pass           ---Pass---

B:  part 1--bid 5H; part 2-- complain to the system-builders about that 4NT NOT being "red suits"(Unusual NT)!
Problem B:>>   what I wrote above still stands --every word in it.     ---Five Hearts---

C:  Lightner at the 5-level?? -- of COURSE!       --Double--
Problem C:>> " Jxxx, Axx, --, Qxxxxx" is a pretty bizarre four-raise, and certainly going to 5 !Snow is ridiculous whatever our reasoning may be. So that leaves no options except "Pass" and "Double".  I don't get this problem frankly; maybe partner thinks his pass is forcing and is about to unleash a "pass-and-pull" after this double?  Now THERE's a juicy problem IF it happened, and IF forcing pass is agreed which I doubt.
                                      ---Double---
D: 3NT; sometimes it goes down no worse than 3 !D  does.      --3NT--h
Problem D:>>  Qxx, AT8x, 9xx, AQx...Expecting good play for 3NT opposite a measly 1D overcall is almost fantastical.  The only reason I talked myself into bidding 3NT earlier is that giving a comp 3-level raise with 12 GUNS instead is so undignified.  Better than 3NT would be to make a responsive double in case pard can bid hearts (and HOPE he is showing four of them?).  Despite my good hand, I keep seeing layouts where neither side can even make 3 of a minor :o .
                                    ---Three Diamonds---

E:  two spades shows 2 or 3 good spades and at least jump-rebid values. next rebid of 3 !H then shows "this hand".   God has spoken / we have had more   than enough of "Bridge World Horror Hand Number Two" to quit insisting this "jump-shift" is entirely natural!!                                                   --Two Spades--
PROBLEM E:>>  The MSC always gives me about a "20" for the jump-shift equals just a reverse" treatment mentioned above, so to try for a better score, we're settling for the immediate jump-raise :'( .
                                      ---Three Hearts---
   P.S.  votes will be all over the place, like "1 !S ", "2 !H ", ""3 !D ""[gaag], and "FOUR  !H "

F:  I will probably STAY with this choice even after UPS delivers my meds--seriously.  --6NT--
PROBLEM F:>>  Yes  i am staying with the NT slam idea.  IF the clubs do not run, then possibly partner will come through with
                                    AQJxx, AQxx, xx, xx, which is 8 top tricks to go with my four.  [Kx, Kx, Kxx, AKQxxx
p.s.  "Real men don't need blackwood on responding hands like this!"

G:  A negative double commits me to a 2 !H rebid, doesn't it?  a free 1NT doesn't commit me to any.  --1NT--
Problem G:>>  I don't mind "lurking" when sitting over an opp's overcall--and that would be my second choice, but this time, we stay witn the
                                                      ---1 Notrump---

H:  After being unable to decide what is my "longest and strongest" red suit I have decided to just hit partner instead! -- !S J--

Hopefully, no more that 3 of these will make the final cut...but hwho knows :D
« Last Edit: February 26, 2024, 06:04:56 AM by blubayou »
often it is better to beg forgiveness, than ask permission

DickHy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2024, 07:31:48 PM »
More embarrassing grist for your mills from over the pond:

A.  3N.  Presumably N has 6(+) clubs and according to BWS VI. A. (“The normal simple overcall maximum is 18 HCP with 5-3-3-2 distribution or the equivalent after trading off high cards for shape”) should have 19+ HCP.  If that’s true, 3N looks good unless W opened with 12 HCP and E has Kx(x) in spades and out.  Would E have raised spades with that over a x? We’re vulnerable at IMPs with the power hand over the opener, so my granny would expect me to bid 3N.

B.  x.  A little like A with the seats reversed.  Over N’s spade bid I can bid hearts (5 !H over 4 !S, if necessary).  N might surprise me with 3 !D.  One problem is if N passes the x, which is possible at this vulnerability (I guess). What will N do with xxx xxx xxx KQxx if W (with 7 or 8 spades) is silent over the x?  Actually, if W bids 3 !S over the x that will help me.

C.  Pass.  BWS II (forcing v non-forcing) seems to suggest that my pre-emptive 4 !S makes N’s pass of 5 !H non-forcing.   Same section (lead-directing doubles) “b) no special lead is suggested by a double: … (2) when some combination of dummy's suit, leader's suit, and doubler's suit is available.”  If I double, I will make partner squirm: that's far too impolite.

D.  Pass.  Pass and defend 3 !C or bid 3 !D?  East looks likely to have 6 clubs and 6 HCP.  Roughly a 20/20 HCP hand, suggesting N has AKxxx in diamonds and a J or AQxxx and a Q with a singleton club in both cases.  We’re getting 2 diamond tricks, a heart, my club A, and prospects for a fifth (the club K could be right, partner’s Q is in hearts, or J in spades).  With that kind of layout in 3 !D, we get 4 diamonds, 2 hearts, only one club (am I really going to try a finesse with a singleton club in N?) and a spade if opponents lead them for us … ?  Pass and defending looks better.

E.  2 !H.  How valuable are my diamonds and the singleton club K?  The latter might deter a club lead at Trick 1, but only then.  Can I get diamonds going and still have an entry or be able to pull trumps?  All looks very doubtful at the moment, but partner has lots of options over 2 !H – game tries, 2N, pass – which will clarify matters.  Let’s give N the chance.

F.  4 !D/6N.  This feels like a NT slam.  With our power E must surely have the diamond A for a vulnerable overcall, so a direct 6N looks feasible. A bit ‘blunt instrument’ for the pros?  What if N is very shapely (65/66 with a diamond void) or E overcalled with seven diamonds with QJ?  Maybe 4 !D is best just now to give N a chance for another descriptive bid.  It’s not quite clear from BWS II what 4N would mean, but even if it is ace-asking, how helpful is N's response when holding 65 or 66 in the majors with a diamond void?

G.  1N/x.  We’ve not heard from W, so N could have a common-or-garden opening hand in which case we don’t really want to be playing in 2N.  That’s where we’re likely to be after a negative x is followed by 2 !D or 2 !C, unless I then bid 2 !H (and then I’ll find only two small hearts in support - yuck).  Over 1N partner has opportunities if he has a bigger opening hand.  1N could lead us to missing a vulnerable game in hearts at IMPs.  Perhaps I’m too pessimistic?  The pros with their better luck will double, find N with a 4-card heart suit and laugh all the way to the bank in some number of hearts.

H.  Diamond 4.  Am I crazy suggesting a low diamond and hoping E started with AJx?  N has the missing club honour, so he’ll get in at some point to lead a diamonds across E.  Either J seems too slow – we’re supposed to be aiming for fast tricks here, are we not?           

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2024, 01:47:03 AM »
SOLUTIONS FOR:
Todd Holes
U.S.A.

PROBLEM A: 3 Diamonds
Although 3NT looks attractive, it can wait. I want to show my diamonds and, if partner trots out 3S next, I’ll bid 3NT. Presumably showing my somewhat dubious “stopper.”

PROBLEM B: 5 Clubs
They took away my two-suited 4NT. And 4 !C is majors. So 5 !C must be some sort of freak two-suited strong hand. Although this may not garner a lot of panel votes, it will not be dismissed completely. It also has the advantage of keeping alive 5 !D, something 5 !H does not.

PROBLEM C: Double
This seems like a no-brainer?

PROBLEM D: 3 Notrump
OOPS! Need to be more careful. I meant to choose 3 !D. These accidents never work out for me. I've done it three times. Hopefully, this one does.
[Added] This one won't hurt me too much (I hope) since 3NT is a viable bid and will score okay.

PROBLEM E: 3 Hearts
This is the latest iteration of The Bridge World Death Hand. Strong hand. Six of my minor. Good three-card support for partner's major.
KnR gives this a 16.45 (the HCP were downgraded), so this is right on values. It simply lacks a fourth heart. My other choice eventually dismissed was an admittedly off-shape 2NT. If anyone is bidding notrump, it should be me with the stiff honor.

PROBLEM F: 3 Notrump
Very much a chicken bid. The other choice for me would be 4NT, which could be safe. It at least invites slam. This--3NT--will put an end to the auction.

PROBLEM G: Double
Unanimous?

PROBLEM H: Diamond 4
Due to the long club suit, time is of the essence. Though a heart lead is safest, the diamonds rate to set up faster than hearts.

« Last Edit: February 29, 2024, 03:54:35 AM by Masse24 »
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2024, 12:54:11 PM »
These answers are for Joe. For some reason, he cannot access the IAC.

Answers for YLEEXOTEE:

PROBLEM A: 3 Notrump
PROBLEM B: Double
PROBLEM F: 3 Notrump
PROBLEM H: Heart Jack

wackojack

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2024, 06:13:02 PM »
A:  3 !D
Partner could have something like ♠Jx, ♥ Ax, ♦AKxx, ♣AKxxxx where we want to be in 5♦.  Or partner could have 18+ with just long clubs.  Partner must have a doubleton ♠ simply because if opps had a 9 card fit they surely would have raised spades.  Could it be ♠Jx or a low doubleton?  I think 3♦ would cover all bases. Maybe partner would next bid 3♠ with ♠Jx looking for 3NT, or raise diamonds with ♦AKxx, or just repeat clubs with just long clubs. 

B: 5NT
2 places to play. The only bid that gets anywhere near describing my hand.

C:
Double
We have a good chance of making 3+ tricks here.

D: 1 !D
A 1♦ overcall should be on 5 good diamonds and an opening bid.  So I go for 3N.

E: 3 !H
This is a gamble on partner having 5 hearts or at least J10xx

F: 6NT
Give partner a min opener ♠AQxxx, ♥Axxx, ♦xx, ♣ Jx  and we have 12 tricks in clubs or no trumps. I trust that 3♠ is forcing but I want to either play in no trumps or clubs to protect my K♦.  So 3♠ gets me nowhere.  I am not selling out with 3NT.  We could just about be missing 2 aces partner having ♠AQJxx, ♥QJxx, ♦Qx, ♣xx so I cannot blast 6NT. 
Is there a way out?  If I bid 4NT, that would (I assume ) be keycard in ♥s so that is out. 
What about 4♣?  I don’t think that will get me anywhere.  In principle I will bid what I would bid at the table and not what I think the panel will bid.  So 6NT it is.

G: Double
Awkward if partner has say ♠xx, ♥KQx, ♦AKxx, xxxx.  Say you double.  Partner would likely bid 2♣ and then you would have to correct to 2♥ non forcing.  Lots could go wrong but double is the least of evils.

H:  J !H
WTP?   

wackojack

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2024, 10:52:58 PM »
SOLUTIONS FOR:
jack Goody
England

PROBLEM C: 5 Notrump
PROBLEM F: 6 Notrump
PROBLEM H: Heart Jack

blubayou

• IACAdmins
  • lifelong director [1977-2010] and haunter of ACBL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2024, 11:13:57 PM »
.CONFIRMATION#24047156MCQU[]
[SOLUTIONS FOR:Jock McQuade 3 Bag End Hobbiton OR 97030 U.S.A

PROBLEM B: 5 Hearts
]PROBLEM D: 3 Diamonds
PROBLEM F: 6 Notrump
PROBLEM G: 1 Notrump

Thank you for participating in the 11th hour!
« Last Edit: February 29, 2024, 11:18:42 PM by blubayou »
often it is better to beg forgiveness, than ask permission

ccr3

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2024, 02:20:42 AM »
Your Solutions for the April 2024 Contest 
-------------------
PROBLEM A: 3 Notrump
PROBLEM E: 2 Hearts
PROBLEM F: 4 Diamonds
PROBLEM G: 1 Notrump
PROBLEM H: Spade Jack

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2024, 04:35:35 AM »

F: 6NT
Give partner a min opener ♠AQxxx, ♥Axxx, ♦xx, ♣ Jx  and we have 12 tricks in clubs or no trumps. I trust that 3♠ is forcing but I want to either play in no trumps or clubs to protect my K♦.  So 3♠ gets me nowhere.  I am not selling out with 3NT.  We could just about be missing 2 aces partner having ♠AQJxx, ♥QJxx, ♦Qx, ♣xx so I cannot blast 6NT. 
Is there a way out?  If I bid 4NT, that would (I assume ) be keycard in ♥s so that is out. 
What about 4♣?  I don’t think that will get me anywhere.  In principle I will bid what I would bid at the table and not what I think the panel will bid.  So 6NT it is.

Not so sure about 4NT being RKC for hearts. Though I do agree the game-force has been established. 3 !C should do that. To play it as only a one-round force would be strange.
If we wanted to agree spades we had a cuebid available in the previous round.
To agree hearts now we have 4 !D.
So 4NT is, I think, quantitative with no fit.

Which is probably what I should have chosen. But I chickened out and went low with 3NT due to the lack of a fit.

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2024, 11:25:36 AM »
I will try to add something for my answers soon.

SOLUTIONS FOR:
James Creech

Fredericksburg VA 22407
U.S.A.

PROBLEM F: 4 Notrump
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2024, 05:21:48 PM »
Tough month!
700 was need to make the honor roll.

Jim scored 750, which is great any month but especially so this month! He also made the Bridge World Honor Roll.

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2024, 05:21:59 PM »
This was a hard set for IAC.  The honor roll cutoff was 700, and only JCreech made the honor roll with 750.  Tied for second , and just missing the honor roll, was YleeXotee and Masse24 with 690.

BluBayou, CCR3, and DickHy also participated.
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran