Author Topic: 2024 MARCH MSC  (Read 1603 times)

Masse24

• View Profile
2024 MARCH MSC
« on: January 02, 2024, 08:43:46 PM »
MARCH 2024 MSC
Deadline: JANUARY 31 at 11:59 p.m. (ET)

Submit your MARCH MSC responses here: The Bridge World - MASTER SOLVERS CLUB

BWS 2017 System: BWS 2017
BWS 2017 POLLS, CHANGES AND ADDITIONS: BWS 2017 - Polls, Changes, and Additions
  • Bridge World Standard 2017 (BWS or BWS2017) is effective beginning with the January 2017 Master Solvers' Club problems. This page shows (1) the results of the panelist polls that were used to adjust the system; and (2) the changes in and the additions to Bridge World Standard 2001 (BWS2001) that were made.
    In the listings of the questions and answers, an asterisk indicates the BWS2001 agreement; the proportion of the expert votes for each item, rounded to the nearest percent, is shown in brackets.

IAC Forum MSC Scores

If you post to The Bridge World you will receive a confirmation immediately and by email. It is preferred that you copy/paste that confirmation as it is easy to read due to the formatting. (Thanks!)

Also, if you post to The Bridge World those will be your official bids. If you make a mistake (try not to as it has happened), you must live with it.

“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

blubayou

• IACAdmins
  • lifelong director [1977-2010] and haunter of ACBL
    • View Profile
Re: 2024 MARCH MSC
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2024, 09:27:33 AM »
Problem A:>>  A98, QTx, K9x, T9xx;    (2H) p (3C) p; p, Dbl, p, ___?
  This may make, but I am not betting the ranch on hitting pard's 5 card suit [ if he even has one]. Poll question:  Might partner have as little as 11 pts?  If so,  color me frightened
                                   ---Pass---

Problem B:>>  x, x, AKJxxx, JT9xx;  (3H), 3S, (4H), ___?  After mulling over "5D" and [briefly] 4NT I choose defending, I double more to get partner to assume a misfit for his spades than because I have real confidence in setting them.
                                   ---Double---

Problem C:>>  KQ9x, ATxx, 9x, 9xx;  (1C), 1D, (p), ___? Not so many years ago, this is a one-answer problem--PASS!  Now I am sadly convinced that "4-card majors up the line" works better.  sigh
                                  --- One Heart---                              ---One Heart---

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Problem D:>>  Axx, --, Qxxxx, Qxxxx;  1C, (1H), ___?  All I lack to make a jump-cue THE perfect bid is another queen (king??).  Here on Jan 11, I am voting for it anyway.  Just bidding what I have can lead to a major disaster here; Bidding what I WISH I had should just throw another 50 on the campfire when partner doesn't bring the extra we need.
                                      ---Three Hearts---

Problem D:>>  Axx, ---, Qxxxx, Qxxxx;  1C, [p], ___?  Cue-advance is all right but short sighted.  I am going ta award myself an extra queen  and make what would then be the perfect bid...  ta-da:
                                     ---Three Hearts---

Problem E:>> A 4 2, 8 410 7 6 5, A Q 9 7; 1H, (2D), ___?  I have always lurked with this sort of holding, and I have a bucket of +100s on file to prove it (for some sadly below average MP scores--sigh).   I'm continuing stubbornly to make the book call of pass despite the above (and leave in the reopening double, too)
                                       ---Pass--- 
   P.S.  None of my partners fail to reopen with appropriate [or nearly appropriate SHAPE despite no extras, or they are banished to te "funzies" tables!

Problem F:>>  I wanted to interact with Jim's thoughts on this one but... one of us has misread the auction, and it is now Jan. 21, so:  If the bridge world asked what the response, is to 1 !S with 3=4=3=3 and game values the panel would be unanimous:  "2 !C ".
   With this 16 count though, I am feeling the urge to drive up to the five-level so will start and continue to bid where my cards are.  Yes--I see tis is an (adjusted) 7-looser and, see may be bucking some stiff headwinds for that reason alone :P
                                          ---Two Hearts---

Problem G:>> Like JCreech says--sure.  won't somebody research whether 1m, "3 spades"  is a splinter or not? (Not saying that would be a good bid,  but in the running if so).
                                         ---Two Diamonds---

--

--
« Last Edit: January 31, 2024, 12:42:53 PM by blubayou »
often it is better to beg forgiveness, than ask permission

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2024, 12:54:29 PM »
What is happening here?

Last month we saw Blu's first post disappear late in the month.   Now Dick's post, this month. I  value their thinking on these problems, even when they are preliminary and will  change with more complete thought.

If it is a system glitch,  I hope it gets fixed.  If Dick deleted, I wish he had just edited to remove the embarrassment and refresh with better thoughts.
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2024, 05:21:53 PM »
Initial thoughts.   I hate this set because, while I have an Initial thought, very few are firm.

A.  Pass.  Every choice is dangerous.  Pass, the opponents may make the contract.   3 !D and 3 !S might be right if partner has five or the right four.  And I even thought of a cue bid to get partner to bid the longer suit, but that might get us too high.  The auction has no guarantee of a fit, so that is why I am changing a pass.

B.  Double.  No fit, though there might be one in diamonds.  Is the 5-level the right place to explore?  I have some potential fast tricks, but my big fear is my third opponent - does he really have a 3-level overcall or a preempt  that was turned into an overcall.

C.  1 NT.  No matter what, I am wrong with these hands.  At least this shows my shape and values, while my club stop is more than suspect.  I  feel I have too much to pass, and I have little faith that partner will help find the right strain if I bid 1 !H.

D.  2 !H I  checked. 3 !H is a full splinter, and a bit rich for my taste.  A simple cue is also a bit rich, but not by much and therefore, becomes my best description/least lie bid.  3 !H.  Is this a mixed raise for MSC?  I would like it better if it was also a mini-splinter.  It is almost good enough with the void for simple cue.

E.  Double.  I think the negative double show where my points are better than the reasonable 2 NT.  If I was playing with a partner who does not shy away from Moysian fits, I would be fearful of a spade bid on three - I would not wish a 3-3 fit on partner.

F. 2 !C.  As Jock pointed out, I misread the problem. I hate responding 2 !C with xxx, but with no 5-card suit I  either bid that or the hearts.  Clubs are frequently abused to create a game force at a low level, so will follow tradition.  1 NT.  I hate overcalling with stoppers and no tricks, but I have too much to pass unless playing with a partner who balances with shape, not points.   And I am too square to double with the wrong 4-card suit.

G.  2 !D.  Do I emphasize the hearts or diamonds?  Slam is a real possibility.  In hearts, I need partner to have 4(+) really good hearts in addition to the presumed good diamond fit.  In diamonds, what works for hearts also works for diamonds, plus if partner is short in hearts with 1st or 2nd round control, the diamond slam is still possible.  We might find our was to hearts, but the best way to get to a slam is to start with a forcing raise.

H.  !H 5.  Probably wrong, but I don't think I  am risking a trump trick that would not already be lost.  My other choices seem to be black aces, neither of which is enticing.  One thought I am playing with is two rounds of clubs, then when in with the  trump king, underlead the spade ace for a club ruff.

Don't count on more than one or two choices being retained on submission, but these are my early selections for what it is worth.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2024, 09:14:54 PM by jcreech »

blubayou

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2024, 11:59:20 AM »
Problem H:>>      AJTxx, Kxx, Jxx. Ax;  1 !S , (dbl), 2 !S , (3 !H ); p, 4 !H , p,(p),  ___?

Clearing our club doubleton, to get a ruff now or soon looks good to me!  On top of that, after taking the club ace, a rethink to plan B may be seen to be needful?
                             ---Club Ace---

blubayou

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2024, 12:25:36 PM »
SOLUTIONS RECEIVEDYour MSC Solutions have been received for theMarch 2024 Contest
]SOLUTIONS FOR:thomas McQuade3180 NW Division, #106Hobbiton OR 97030U.S.A.
[/size]PROBLEM A: Pass
[/size]PROBLEM B: Double
[/size]PROBLEM C: 1 Heart
[/size]PROBLEM D: 2 Hearts
[/size]PROBLEM E: Pass
[/size]PROBLEM F: 2 Hearts
[/size]PROBLEM G: 2 Diamonds
[/size]PROBLEM H: Club Ace
[/size]
[/size]Your confirmation number for this contest entry is: 24037156MCQU
« Last Edit: January 31, 2024, 12:28:16 PM by blubayou »

yleexotee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2024, 06:50:02 PM »
PROBLEM A: Pass - the 3c being non forcing is the hint to me
PROBLEM B: Double - Just feels too much to try the 5 level unilaterally. wish there was a 4nt that didn't mean spade slam
PROBLEM C: 1 Heart - can't bring myself to bid 1nt, so this is least distorting
PROBLEM D: 2 Hearts - 2 5 card suits and a void, yes its invite +
PROBLEM E: 2 Notrump - unsure of this one
PROBLEM F: 2 Clubs - automatic playing the nebulous 2c, I guess I should hae looked this up. seems too strong to try any kind of 3nt answer. 2h = 100% 5 hearts to me.
PROBLEM G: 1 Heart - starting low, assuming we will settle in the diamond fit, but I like this to discourage a heart lead later
PROBLEM H: Spade Ace- trying for a doubleton lead that actually works given some trump control

wackojack

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2024, 08:08:21 PM »
A: 3 !D
B: Dbl
C 1NT
D: 2 !H
E: Dbl
F: 2 !C
G: 1 !H
H: 2 !H

wackojack

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2024, 08:27:41 PM »
SOLUTIONS FOR:
Jack Goody
England

All my comments were lost and I have no time left  :-[

PROBLEM A: 3 Diamonds
PROBLEM B: Double
PROBLEM C: 1 Notrump
PROBLEM D: 2 Hearts
PROBLEM E: Double
PROBLEM F: 2 Clubs
PROBLEM G: 1 Heart
PROBLEM H: Heart 5

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2024, 11:36:02 PM »
SOLUTIONS FOR:
todd holes

PROBLEM A: 3 Diamonds
Smells like a 4=3=5=1 ? But Pass is also tempting.

Unanimous? WTP?

PROBLEM C: 1 Heart
Constructive. Non-forcing. Surely partner has one of the majors.

The void makes this the value bid.

PROBLEM E: Pass
I hate this. The real headache will come on the next round when partner’s double comes around to us.

PROBLEM F: 2 Clubs
This would be my response at the table. I did not find anything on this in the system notes, but the trend toward a nebulous 2 !C is hopefully how the panel thinks.

PROBLEM G: 2 Diamonds
Although 1H is the system bid and “standard,” the Diamond suit is “where I live.” There is a little guy on my shoulder whispering to me to bid 3 !S to take away their spade fit unless introduced at the 4 level.

PROBLEM H: Club Ace
Not terribly fond of lead problems. Since partner has very little, the !C A might find partner with the !C K but it also gives me a peek at dummy with little risk making my play at trick two easier.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2024, 11:49:52 PM by Masse24 »
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

ccr3

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2024, 03:41:19 AM »
Your Solutions for the March 2024 Contest 
-------------------
PROBLEM A: Pass
PROBLEM C: 1 Notrump
PROBLEM E: Pass
PROBLEM F: 2 Diamonds
PROBLEM G: 2 Diamonds
PROBLEM H: Heart 5

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2024, 04:32:05 AM »
Final submission.

A. Pass.
B. Double.
C. 1 No trump.
D. 2 Hearts.
E. Pass.  A negative double  wasn't bad, but I  think a pass is better.  If partner doubles,  then I can choose to pass again for penalty.
F. 2 Clubs.
G. 2 Diamonds.
H. Heart 5.

One change, surprising me. Good luck to all.

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2024, 06:29:55 PM »
Three on the Bridge World honor roll: Masse24, WackoJack, and BluBayou.

A 790 and two 730s.

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2024, 06:32:32 PM »
Well  done Todd!!  790 is just about as good as you can get. 

Also making the honor roll with a pair of 730's were Blu and WackoJack.

Congrats to all.

blubayou

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2024, 04:26:00 PM »
A curiosity this month:
    NO IAC guess but one  [undeserved 40?]   was given less than 70!  No wonder those 70s we all got seemed like death-strokes. 
     The way it was going I didn't even expect  730 to squeek onto this month's honor roll!