Author Topic: 2023 December MSC  (Read 2003 times)

Masse24

• View Profile
2023 December MSC
« on: October 05, 2023, 10:20:10 PM »
DECEMBER 2023 MSC
Deadline: OCTOBER 31 at 11:59 p.m. (ET)

Submit your DECEMBER MSC responses here: The Bridge World - MASTER SOLVERS CLUB

BWS 2017 System: BWS 2017
BWS 2017 POLLS, CHANGES AND ADDITIONS: BWS 2017 - Polls, Changes, and Additions
  • Bridge World Standard 2017 (BWS or BWS2017) is effective beginning with the January 2017 Master Solvers' Club problems. This page shows (1) the results of the panelist polls that were used to adjust the system; and (2) the changes in and the additions to Bridge World Standard 2001 (BWS2001) that were made.
    In the listings of the questions and answers, an asterisk indicates the BWS2001 agreement; the proportion of the expert votes for each item, rounded to the nearest percent, is shown in brackets.

IAC Forum MSC Scores

If you post to The Bridge World you will receive a confirmation immediately and by email. It is preferred that you copy/paste that confirmation as it is easy to read due to the formatting. (Thanks!)

Also, if you post to The Bridge World those will be your official bids. If you make a mistake (try not to as it has happened), you must live with it.

“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

DickHy

• View Profile
Re: 2023 December MSC
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2023, 10:34:47 AM »
Thought I’d give Jock, the usual opening bidder, a breather.  My comments will be much less sensible than his, but they’ll provide easy targets.

A.  2 !S.  We’re close to slam territory.  I’m not keen on 3 !D as it takes up space and that’s partner’s bid, not mine.  I’d bid 2 !S as control to leave 3 !D available to partner to show/deny diamond control.  If partner bids 3 !C over 2 !S I can bid 3 !H to deny diamond control.  Either way we know at a low level if slam is possible. 

B.  3 !H.  3 !D is GF and I have a K extra for my reverse.  Should I just bid 6 !D?  I’d like to know about partner’s kings.  With 8 HCP+, partner could have heart and club Kings and diamond Queen.  I can ruff one of my two spade losers if partner is 2443/2434.  If partner has the spade king too, would she/he have bid any differently?   A control bid of 3 !H allows partner to show spade or club control.  Cueing a suit holding of Kx(x..x) as dummy-in-waiting can be risky, but opposite a powerful hand (reverse, 2!C opener, 2N etc.) ought to be safe.

C.   2 !S.  I’m near the top of the range for my pass and East’s 2 !C may be good news for my K.  We have 3 !D as a fall-back, should partner do something other than raising spades.

D.  c5.  1N risks missing a 5-3 heart fit.  1 !S followed by 2 !H gives the wrong picture, but with this hand 2 !S in a Moysian doesn’t look too bad (said he with almost no experience of declaring successfully in Moysians).  I might be able to get the hearts going while partner’s clubs prevent me from getting tapped? Or a spot of cross-ruffing may be in order.  According to BWS, 1 !H – 1N is semi-forcing and at most game-invitational and 1 !H – 1N – 2N is invitational.  That looks ok to me: partner will raise to 3N with invite hand and pass otherwise.  Partner has a minimum of 7 minor suit cards, and we could well get a spade lead.

E.  3 !H.  Very tempting to bid 3N: all of partner’s high cards are outside spades, so I can rely on him/her for some club cover.  However, partner must be short in spades, making a heart fit probable.  In hearts I can ruff a couple of spades safely across West.  Of course, when partner continues with 4 !D or 4 !C, I’ll be cursing not bidding 3N.

F.  1 !S/xx.  The hint seems odd.  The perfectly natural bid of 1 !S to me naturally would be forcing.  After that if partner bids 2 !H, 2 !D or raises spades we’re ok, but what do I bid over partner’s 2 !C?  A preference bid of 2 !H would be made on two small spots and 5/6 HCP, but partner would take 3 !H as 3c heart support and 10/11?  Perhaps redouble is a better start than 1 !S? I have a couple of tens to make up the deficit and a heart bid later will show only two card support, and complete a pretty accurate picture of the hand.

G.  3 !C.  This looks good to me.  Where are the spades?  Partner has at most four, so EW have a spade fit.  Do we want them to find it?  No, if partner has only three spades and they are 5(W)4(E) or 63.  A 3 !C bid may well deter West bidding 3 !S with a 5c suit.  There’s also the possibility that EW have a double spade/diamond fit.  But our heart fit is at best 43.  So let’s just get in the way for now.

H.  Q !H.  I’m supposed to help partner’s major here.  He/she’s going to have 6 HCP at most, and more likely to have longer spades than hearts.  A low spade will kill one of partner’s honours (possibly the only one in the suit) to not much use.  I’m also keen to create an entry into partner’s hand so diamonds can be led across declarer.  A spade lead burning one of her/his honours ain’t gonna help.  So why not bang down the heart Q? 
« Last Edit: October 09, 2023, 05:37:31 PM by DickHy »

blubayou

• IACAdmins
  • lifelong director [1977-2010] and haunter of ACBL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2023, 04:14:10 PM »
I, Dick; Thanks for the good paragraphs!  Naturally I will prolly be off on another tangent on some of these. To wit:

PROBLEM A:>>  It's a little strange that a solid 16 parses out to a full 7 loosers -- even "adjusted" loosers.   Even a dummy such as ...
         Axx, KJxx, Axxx, Jxx or a tad more leaves us soo far from slam facing our Kxx, AQ9x, QJx, Axx--right?
   We really need PARTNER to start the slam sniffing by moving on after our 3NT rebid by reverting to hearts via a 4 Diamond rebid -- or even maybe 4 Clubs.  Being left to play in said 3NT rebid should partner be so inclined seems just dandy.
                                                        ---Three Notrump---
        P.S>  "1 !D , 1 !H ; 2 !H , 2 !S ; 3 !C , 3 !H "  doesn't sound "waiting" to me,  but rather an abortive game-TRY auction..?

PROBLEM B:>>  This setup is radioactive for my partnerships :(   We definitely have heart SUPPORT. when we rebid 3 Hearts now, hence tend to not jump-shift with this shape.  So, the simple way out is to be a glass-half-empty guy and rebid 3NT. After all, that promises20 points and stoppers in the blacks with long diamonds!!   But really am only considering tis because I dont know which black ace to cuebid first or if doing such will help partner get us over the hump when appropriate.
                                                  ---no answers yet :-[ ---

PROBLEM C:>>  My fantasy auction for after "1 !D , (2 !C ), " is to neg-double and say 2 !S  over pard's 2 !H  rebid (the opponents having politely stepped aside for now)...   This actually shows as good a hand as Dicks direct two spades-by-a-passed-hand, true?
   BUT I am somewhat out in the cold   if either opponent can block this plan by raising their clubs to three before whole fairy tale is completed.  I guess the three diamond fall-back is still there, but it's likely we are in a worse position than if I had shown long spades already.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2023, 05:11:26 AM by blubayou »
often it is better to beg forgiveness, than ask permission

blubayou

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2023, 10:54:48 AM »
PROBLEM D:>>  1 !H  , 1NT; 2 !S  .  No reason to GO TO  2NT when this is basically equivalent.  And there's the added chance that we can play 2 spades!  I have been dropped in 2 !S  a dozen times in the past century, or done the dropping-- mostly with good results.  Have pondered a couple weeks over opening 1S.
                                                              --- C-4---

PROBLEM E:>>   Super-obvious penalty double.      ---pass---

PROBLEM F:>> At last a problem with 3 or 4 good answers, including Dick's promoting the hand to redoubling strength.  I'm going with a 5th possibility--lurking. A delayed 2 !D  or 3 !D  ought to show this count, these diamonds, and even this heart tolerance!
                                                                      ---pass---

PROBLEM G:>>  ...................      --- fOUR cLUBS ---

PROBLEM H:>>  ANOTHER KAMIKAZE QUEENxx SACRIFICE!  Does that make three in the last five months?  Thanks for the nudge, DickHY!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2023, 12:55:27 AM by blubayou »

DickHy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2023, 12:48:13 PM »
A.  You’re right Jock: 1 !D – 1 !H – 2 !H – 2 !S is a game try bid.  According to BWS a simple new-suit bid is a game-try showing length (or a suit where honor [sic] strength would be helpful).  If N denies a spade honour by bidding 3 !H, I could continue with 4 !C (control) which gives N the option of showing or denying diamond control – the information I am really after.  I have an agreement with one of my partners that if the game try asker carries on after a rejection, we’re bidding controls.  I don’t expect that to be a common agreement (my partners are tremendously tolerant of my foibles, as you might imagine).   If after 2 !S N accepts with 4 !H that’s not really helping as it could show queen or ace.  Nevertheless, if I’m wearing my junior shorts I could carry on with 5 !C, also giving partner a chance to show diamond control.

That all seems rather fraught, so let’s bin 2 !S.  3 !D might be the bid, but what exactly does it force?  If control-bidding, we’ll be ok.  If partner bids 3 !S (good news) I can bid 4 !C and he has 4 !D available.  Alternatively, partner might not be able to cue spades, which will bring him to the 4 !D/4 !H decision.

hoki

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2023, 09:00:03 AM »
Afraid none of my answers match Dick's, but two agree with Jock: A and G.
That likely means Dick will score higher than I do because the panel is
essentially an optimistic bunch whereas I generally prefer to take the low
road.

For instance, on A I agree with Jock that for slam to be in the picture pard
will need enough extras to bid again. In the meantime I am showing a
balanced hand with stoppers in the black suits as well as just four hearts.

On B (3NT) partner will also need something more for slam to be in the
picture. Also, I'm not convinced that showing preference for my first suit
puts us in a game-forcing situation.

On C I'm currently favouring 2, believing I need more points for 2;
yes, a negative double might work.

D: c2, the only "systemic" option.

E: Dble, sandbagging doesn't appeal to me and there is the risk that it goes
all-pass and we miss a game.

F: 1S

H: fourth down from the longest and strongest, imvho still the best way to avoid
team mates' wrath.

Cheers, Oliver

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2023, 02:57:16 PM »
Initial thoughts:

A.  3 !D  I go with the hint.  3NT gives up on the slam too easily. 2 !S would be my bid with regular partners,  similar to Dick.

B.  3 !H  I don't like 3 NT with Ax in clubs - let partner bid the NT if possible.  Also starts control bidding if partner is inclined to cooperate.

C.  2 !S  I thought about 2 !D, but the match points made me do it.

D.  1 NT  I wanted to bid 1 !C to maximize chance of finding major fit, but not an option.  AKQ9  looks like five, but not enough small cards for ruffing if a Moysian.  J109xx has reversing as the problem with only 15.  4-5-2-2 can be an ugly NT, but I think the least lie.

E.  2 NT  With a stiff in partner's suit and 10 HCPs, I feel like I can only show my stop or suggest only four hearts.  I think the NT game is more likely.  I certainly do not have the values for 3 !H.

F.  2 !D  With 9 HCPs and RHO showing spades, I'm not inclined to show J10xx.  2 !D shows my suit and my values, so I am taking the hint.

G.  4 !C   Goldilocks time!  Despite the hint,3 !C seems too low; too easy for the opponents to enter safely.  On the other hand, 5! C felt too risky and high.  I don't think they can find the right game at the four-level easily, and they have few enough trump to feel confident about doubling, so I think this should be just right.

H.  !D 8  This is the blind lead from hell.  LHO could have the minors or could a shapeless 4 by 3s.  No telling from this auction.  I chose to go with slightly deceptive, yet completely honest 4th best lead.  Slightly deceptive because the 8 doesn't look low.  To me, this is the least of the evils and could hit paydirt.  It may not be the safest lead, but tell me, what is?

No changes for final submission.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2023, 02:05:03 AM by jcreech »
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2023, 02:08:48 AM »
SOLUTIONS FOR:
todd holes

PROBLEM A: 3 Notrump
2 !S should be construed as a game try. it would be nice if partner bid 2nt in response to 2 !S as 3nt is likely better from his side. but i worry that partner accepts by bidding 4  !H and i would lose the opportunity to describe the nature of my hand. but maybe that is unwise. blasting to 4 !H may be the best route, keeping the opps in the dark.

PROBLEM B: 4 Clubs
although i would like to bid 3 !H to show my control, hoping to hear partner show his spade control, i worry that partner may rebid 3nt or something else to make my slam aspirations unclear. this 4 !C makes it clear we are slamming in diamonds.

PROBLEM C: Double
at first glance i thought it an auto-double. then i upgraded due to the club bid on my right--and i upgraded the club king. but the suit quality of the spades brought me back to reality. partner expects better than this for a 2  !S bid.

PROBLEM D: (a)
the book bid is 1 !H then 2 !C if partner responds 1nt. but if i do so i will be bidding TWO suits with a combined total of ONE HCP. i've never opened 1nt with a 4=5=2=2. today is the day.

PROBLEM E: Pass
not enough for 2nt--though it's close. not enough or good enough hearts for 3 !H. so pass and await developments. if partner doubles then it becomes more difficult.

PROBLEM F: 2 Diamonds
the best description of my hand. it's a one bid hand.

PROBLEM G: 4 Clubs
one bid hand. this is pretty descriptive. and disruptive.

PROBLEM H: Spade 8
the most passive. also considered both red 8's.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2023, 10:42:30 AM by Masse24 »
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

veredk

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2023, 10:32:42 PM »

PROBLEM A: 3 Diamonds
PROBLEM D: (c4)
PROBLEM E: 2 Notrump

blubayou

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2023, 11:59:31 AM »
Jock McQuade
PROBLEM A: 3 Notrump
PROBLEM B: 3 Notrump
PROBLEM D: (c4)    BULLETIN:  DICKH'S  COMMENT SEEM TO SHOW HE MEANT TO CHOOSE C4 ALSO (reversing to 2 !S )   
PROBLEM F: Pass
PROBLEM H: Heart Queen
A copy of
« Last Edit: October 31, 2023, 12:18:55 PM by blubayou »

ccr3

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2023, 04:10:24 PM »
Your Solutions for the December 2023 Contest 
-------------------
PROBLEM A: 3 Diamonds
PROBLEM B: 3 Hearts
PROBLEM C: 2 Spades

yleexotee

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2023, 03:16:04 AM »
PROBLEM A: 4 Hearts
PROBLEM C: 2 Spades
PROBLEM F: 1 Spade
PROBLEM G: 2 Clubs

Hopefully not too bad on some very hasty decisions.

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2023, 05:22:47 PM »
December Results

masse24 led the IAC solvers with 750. ccr3 came in second with 640. And in third was (yleexotee with 630.  masse24 made The Bridge World Honor Roll, which required a minimum of 660.

NAMEBW-SCORE
masse24     750   
ccr3     640 
YleeXotee     630   

There were 9 participants this month.

THE YEAR END TOTALS SHOULD BE PUBLISHED SOON.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2023, 04:00:14 PM by Masse24 »

yleexotee

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2023, 03:56:42 AM »
ooh, nice one Todd.

I chose 2c on that one hand because 3c was too weak, a cue bid was too strong, and I thought 2c was abou the middle. I should have considered that 4c total tricks thing
1S deserves more points for being standard.  :)

blubayou

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2023, 05:37:28 PM »
   On the Flannery  deal, I will resist to my dying day answering  pard's forcing NT with 2 !C  holding xx.  Still   I object to my reverse to spades scoring 30points less  than  the "equivalent" (in the sense of invitational values)  than the notrump raise----grrr.
   There are two or more to play Flannery 2 !D ,  this pattern being the most obvious.   The more subtle one is that opener is free to raise pard's 1 !S GUILT FREE with most opening hands shaped 3=5(6)=blah=blah.
  Kudos to the paneliists who honored pre-60's bridge and started with 1 !S   and shame shamon the plurality  that open a NOTRUMP with 9 majorcards.