Author Topic: 2023 OCTOBER MSC  (Read 1776 times)

Masse24

• View Profile
2023 OCTOBER MSC
« on: August 03, 2023, 12:42:50 AM »
OCTOBER 2023 MSC
Deadline: AUGUST 30 at 11:59 p.m. (ET)

Submit your OCTOBER MSC responses here: The Bridge World - MASTER SOLVERS CLUB

BWS 2017 System: BWS 2017
BWS 2017 POLLS, CHANGES AND ADDITIONS: BWS 2017 - Polls, Changes, and Additions
  • Bridge World Standard 2017 (BWS or BWS2017) is effective beginning with the January 2017 Master Solvers' Club problems. This page shows (1) the results of the panelist polls that were used to adjust the system; and (2) the changes in and the additions to Bridge World Standard 2001 (BWS2001) that were made.
    In the listings of the questions and answers, an asterisk indicates the BWS2001 agreement; the proportion of the expert votes for each item, rounded to the nearest percent, is shown in brackets.

IAC Forum MSC Scores

If you post to The Bridge World you will receive a confirmation immediately and by email. It is preferred that you copy/paste that confirmation as it is easy to read due to the formatting. (Thanks!)

Also, if you post to The Bridge World those will be your official bids. If you make a mistake (try not to as it has happened), you must live with it.

“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

blubayou

• IACAdmins
  • lifelong director [1977-2010] and haunter of ACBL
    • View Profile
Re: 2023 OCTOBER MSC
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2023, 04:55:54 PM »
problemA-->  Last time this HINT appeared, it was the winning choice, but it didn't look so much like this.  I am sticking to my knee-jerk feeling  of splintering with a lovely 8-count.
                                                              ---Four Clubs---

problemB-->  In real life we are arriving in the club slam  right NOW.  But since north is a bidder without flaws,  we can safely trott out GERBER,  in case he has a perfectly legitimat "quackery"  ie:  QJx, KQx, KQJxx, xx !
                                                               ---Four Clubs---

problemC-->  BLACKWOOD!  hell--pard might have all 3 aces!  If he has the expected two, nobody asked us if we will shoot the moon  or not, but for partnership discipline I will do so
                                                              ---Four Notrump---

prpblemD-->  WHAAT??  4 !H   in a heartbeat.  a 2 !S  "trial bid" is just daisy-picking (unless you want to raise pard's 2NT to 3..or pass it).  This hand would never show up except in some fancy quiz situation.  For now,  I ignore the possible trial-bid of two notrump  from our side...... ???
                                                              ---Four Hearts---
« Last Edit: August 12, 2023, 10:46:09 PM by blubayou »
often it is better to beg forgiveness, than ask permission

yleexotee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2023, 08:06:17 PM »
So far, I am 0 for 4 on matching with your bids, Blu. Stay tuned a bit later for my choices.

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2023, 11:07:53 PM »
SOLUTIONS FOR:
Todd Holes

PROBLEM A: 3 Notrump
I was all over the place on this one. Still am. I started with what will be the popular solver choice of 4 !C, but that seemed the tiniest bit rich with no heart honor. (Do I really want to express slam interest if partner has the right "fit?" So I switched to the invitational 3 !S. The "hint" 3NT felt wrong, primarily because I do not use this bid. But after thinking about it I settled on 3NT because it is in between the invite and the splinter.

PROBLEM B: 3 Clubs
Bidding either major implies four, and since partner has not denied having a major, I don't want to steer him toward what he thinks is a major fit. The only option that makes sense to me is 4NT now. But that can wait. For now I'll keep the bidding low and continue to describe my hand.

PROBLEM C: 5 Diamonds
Showing my first round control. Pass also strongly considered.

PROBLEM D: 2 Notrump
The value bid.

PROBLEM E: 3 Spades
Okay, partner has less than an opening hand and wishes to stop. But I don't! Although flat, these values are worth another try at game.

PROBLEM F: Double
Maybe Pass is right? I don't know. The panel often uses the flexible Pass in strange situations. Hopefully this is one of them.

PROBLEM G: Pass
Tough problem! (I hate this.)

PROBLEM H: Heart 5
I am not fond of lead problems . . . they're tough.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2023, 11:29:44 PM by Masse24 »
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

blubayou

• IACAdmins
  • lifelong director [1977-2010] and haunter of ACBL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2023, 03:24:47 PM »
SOLUTIONS FOR:Jock McQuade3 Bag EndHobbiton OR 97030U.S.A.
PROBLEM A: 4 Clubs
PROBLEM B: 4 Clubs
PROBLEM C: 4 Notrump
PROBLEM D: 2 Notrump
  Every couple  of  days,  I have looked at these four problems and just given up,  but time has run out :(
PROBLEM E: 3 Notrump
PROBLEM F: Pass
PROBLEM G: Pass
PROBLEM H: Spade Ace

A copy of these solutions will be e-ma
« Last Edit: August 31, 2023, 03:29:44 PM by blubayou »
often it is better to beg forgiveness, than ask permission

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2023, 05:21:46 PM »
Sorry, between computer problems and burn out, I am struggling to participate in MSC  Below are my initial thoughts and final answers:

SOLUTIONS FOR:
James Creech
Fredericksburg VA 22407
U.S.A.

PROBLEM A: 3 Notrump  Taking the hint.  If my values were spread out more, I might want to choose between an invitation or a splinter.  With the concentration in spades, but with a side ace, I think preemptive feels right, plus the bonus of some defense.
PROBLEM B: 3 Clubs  We are already in a game force, so I think we keep it low and point to my extra length and concentration of values.
PROBLEM C: Pass  Torn between RKC, a control bid and a forcing pass.  The forcing pass seems more flexible, and I am worried about no 1st or 2nd round control in the unbid clubs.
PROBLEM D: 2 Notrump  I was torn between two game tries; 2NT showing the outside stops and an alternative place to play, or 3C, looking for some help.  2NT seemed more flexible because partner could pass or bid 3 !H depending on the character of his hand.
PROBLEM E: 3 Clubs  Using the hint.  I'm taking a move forward, and while 3 !C does not show a spade fit, it also does not deny one.  Therefore, I can show the spade fit next, while showing partner where I have my values.
PROBLEM F: Double  This time I am counting on equal-level conversion, so if partner bids diamonds, I can bid hearts to show two places to play without showing extra strength.
PROBLEM G: 3 Diamonds  Partner jumped, so I feel I am too good to pass, but don't like my other alternatives.  Why didn't I just overcall 1NT and get my hand off my chest in round one?
PROBLEM H: Heart 5  It sounds like a 5-3 fit with dummy coming down with a singleton.  I don't have great trump, but I really don't expect to pickle partner's holding.  Let us get some children off the street.
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

ccr3

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2023, 12:45:00 AM »
Your Solutions for the October 2023 Contest 
-------------------
PROBLEM A: 4 Clubs
PROBLEM B: 4 Notrump
PROBLEM C: 5 Diamonds
PROBLEM D: 4 Hearts
PROBLEM E: Pass
PROBLEM F: Pass
PROBLEM G: 3 Diamonds
PROBLEM H: Spade Ace

yleexotee

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2023, 01:07:16 AM »
PROBLEM A: 3 Notrump- lots of possibilities here. I finally settled on taking the hint, need to have strong reason not to take the hint and the splinter is just a smidge too much
PROBLEM B: 3 Clubs - showing the real clubs and leaving open the possibility for slam
PROBLEM C: 5 Diamonds - not letting this one go quietly
PROBLEM D: Pass - gonna let this go quietly
PROBLEM E: 3 Clubs - ready to search for game
PROBLEM F: Pass - a little passive, but letting partner show his stuff at this level
PROBLEM G: 3 Diamonds - yet another spot to pass, but going for a touch more.
PROBLEM H: Diamond Queen

I considered so many choices for several of the hands, this could be a total disaster scoring month for me.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2023, 01:09:28 AM by yleexotee »

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2023, 02:20:23 PM »
October Results

Blu and JCreeech led the IAC solvers with 660. Masse24 came in third with 650.

The Bridge World honor roll this month required a minimum of 660. It was a low scoring month!

NAMEBW-SCORE
Blubayou     660   
JCreech     660 
Masse24     650   

Only five participants this month.