Author Topic: 2023 September MSC  (Read 2790 times)

Masse24

• View Profile
2023 September MSC
« on: July 02, 2023, 07:15:27 PM »
SEPTEMBER 2023 MSC
Deadline: JULY 31 at 11:59 p.m. (ET)

Submit your SEPTEMBER MSC responses here: The Bridge World - MASTER SOLVERS CLUB

BWS 2017 System: BWS 2017
BWS 2017 POLLS, CHANGES AND ADDITIONS: BWS 2017 - Polls, Changes, and Additions
  • Bridge World Standard 2017 (BWS or BWS2017) is effective beginning with the January 2017 Master Solvers' Club problems. This page shows (1) the results of the panelist polls that were used to adjust the system; and (2) the changes in and the additions to Bridge World Standard 2001 (BWS2001) that were made.
    In the listings of the questions and answers, an asterisk indicates the BWS2001 agreement; the proportion of the expert votes for each item, rounded to the nearest percent, is shown in brackets.

IAC Forum MSC Scores

If you post to The Bridge World you will receive a confirmation immediately and by email. It is preferred that you copy/paste that confirmation as it is easy to read due to the formatting. (Thanks!)

Also, if you post to The Bridge World those will be your official bids. If you make a mistake (try not to as it has happened), you must live with it.

“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

blubayou

• IACAdmins
  • lifelong director [1977-2010] and haunter of ACBL
    • View Profile
Re: 2023 September MSC
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2023, 11:16:58 PM »
HOOOORAY AND GOOD RIDDANCE TO THE DISGUSTING AUGUST" SET!  (So many with a smorgasbord of  no answer) I hope never to see again-and I have looked at or participated here since Viet Nam  ended).

first look on prob. A  we notice we have almost never  seen a better dummy for the "misery preference"   to 2 !H .   That  means I have a splinter for north's diamonds.   I hope he will forgive me  for blocking his  "blackwood"   but he should not hang me for not having mega trumps,  his  !H K-x,  and the stiff , but only king-high spades (i bet HE has the missing spade ace?)
                                                          ---Five Clubs---

Problem B:>>  Ahh the ANTI-SPLINTER finally shows up (see my profile)    ___---Four Diamonds---

Problem C:>>  Do we see 3 choices?   nope.     ---Five Clubs---

Problem D:>>
OK, west has got me convinced:  Partner doesn't have more than 4 clubs, so he must have 4 spades, and/or 3+ hearts so reaching out for a major game is not a wild stab in the dark...
                                                                         ---Three Spades---

Problem E:>>  My first think is to push with 3 !S   AFTER the opps correct to 3 !H . The LAW says one of us can make 9 tricks.  If the enemy gets to FOUR Hearts before I ever mention my spades, then I have wimped out, and will stay fixed.  The temptation to mention those clubs NOW, and hope to later say 3 Spades is tugging at me, but will that suck partner into a definite overbid?

---Pass/Three Clubs??---

Problem F:>>  A looser of a quizz problem---WTP        ---Three Diamonds---

Problem G:>>  ...?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2023, 04:58:20 PM by blubayou »
often it is better to beg forgiveness, than ask permission

blubayou

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2023, 10:51:40 PM »
Problem G:>>  Are they going to 4!S or mor no matter what I do?  Then i better let partner know they are serious about it with a triple jump.  Are they willing to stand down, rightly or wrongly?  Then I like the spade splinter that gets us to 3NT.  Might we have eight  hearts?  We really shouldn't care.
                                                          ---  ?  ---
Problem H:>>  Partner may have up to 5 points on this auction   (12 I see and typically  23-24 held by the opponents. )        I need to get unbusy in one of these side suits, and I choose diamonds.  The lead problems lately have been friendly lately to south flinging unsupported diamond honours out there,  so....
                                                         --- Diamond Jack---
« Last Edit: July 16, 2023, 10:53:29 PM by blubayou »

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2023, 04:58:00 PM »
Problem A: 3NT

I've got a totally different take on this one, Blu. No jump-shift, so limited to about 17 or so. But partner is probing with 3 !D, presumably for 3NT? He should have about 16-17 HCP and a potential problem in diamonds.

I am max and have diamonds controlled. So it's 3NT.

I'm having a hard time coming up with another reasonable call. On second thought, I suppose a 0=5=4=4 hand is possible.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2023, 09:31:30 PM by Masse24 »
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

hoki

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2023, 03:39:58 PM »
A First I read Jock's answer and was convinced even though Todd admits partner
might be showing a 5=4=4=0 (or 5=4=3=1?) hand. Then I read Todd's answer
and again I was convinced. Oh dear, I hope not all the problems are going to be
like this. In the end I plumped for 4, in the hope that this is the safest game
in case we can't run nine tricks in 3NT after a spade lead.

hoki

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2023, 03:51:39 PM »
D The problem with 3 is that it's forcing, which is why I prefer 3.

E The problem with passing and then bidding 3 is that you might find
yourself facing a 4 in front of you. What then? I prefer to get my spade bid
in now and then leave it up to partner what to do over 4.

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2023, 04:28:01 PM »
I am becoming more convinced by Jock's construction. If partner were 2=5=2=4 with 16 or so, wouldn't he be very likely to open 1NT? Not always, but often?

So if 0=5=4=4 with 16-17, does partner pull 3NT knowing I have diamonds? Probably not. So it's now or never on whether to support diamonds or risk the spade onslaught.

Tough one!  ???

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2023, 01:15:15 AM »
Best Guesses -- September:

SOLUTIONS FOR:
Todd Holes

PROBLEM A: 3 Notrump
Hamman.

PROBLEM B: 2 Diamonds
Unanimous?

PROBLEM C: 4 Clubs
3 Clubs is pusillanimous. Is 4 Clubs enough?

PROBLEM D: Double
Not quite the right shape, but must keep spades in the picture.

PROBLEM E: 3 Clubs
Lead director. If given the chance, 3 !S later.

PROBLEM F: 4 Diamonds
Forward going. 3 Diamonds would not be enough.

PROBLEM G: Double
This is automatic for me, but there must be some issue since it's an MSC problem.

PROBLEM H: Heart 3
This or the spade 4. I hate lead problems!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2023, 01:44:09 PM by Masse24 »

veredk

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2023, 07:49:23 PM »

PROBLEM A: Pass
PROBLEM E: Double
PROBLEM F: 3 Diamonds
PROBLEM G: 3 Diamonds
PROBLEM H: Diamond 7

ccr3

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2023, 10:37:02 PM »

PROBLEM H: Diamond 7

wackojack

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2023, 11:04:07 AM »
A: 3NT
Partner's 3 !D 4th suit bid says "tell me more".  I have extras but not enough for a slam try so 3NT it is.

B: 3 !S
BWS says that a double jump shift is a splinter. So if I splinter with 3 !S partner is obliged to cue a minor then I will bid 4 !S (exclusion)

C: 4 !C
Slam cannot be ruled out. Partner could have  !S xxxxx,  !H Kx,  !D Kx,  !C AKxx where 7  !C is almost a laydown.  So I will force with 4 !C

D: 3 !H
Partner has a likely balanced 3-4-3-3.  I will be cautious and bid a non-forcing 3 !H.

E:  Pass
We have a likely 8 card spade fit and the opps a likely 9 card heart fit.  If the opps can make 4 !H, then we will only make 7 tricks in spades.  A disaster sac.  If the opps can only make 3 !H, then we will be 1 off in 3 !S.  (A good sac) To cater for this we must pass and then pass ff opps bid 4 !H or bid 3 !S if the opps pass over 3 !H.   

F: 3 !S
If we have 2 spade losers and play in 5 !D, we need partner to have A !C and at least a doubleton diamond.  If partner has a stop in spades we have a better chance in 3NT.

G: Double
I am not sure about this.  Perhaps a 3 !S splinter is better. If opps raise to 4 !S partner will not know that I have a spade void.  OTOH a 3 !S splinter could reveal too much to the opps or it could be what partner needs to know to find the right spot.

H: 4 !S
What lead is (a) least likley to give a trick and (b) is the most attacking?  I just don't know.  I will be different and go for the 4 !S.

wackojack

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2023, 11:10:09 AM »
SOLUTIONS FOR:
Jack Goody
U.K.

PROBLEM B: 3 Spades
PROBLEM D: 3 Hearts
PROBLEM E: Pass
PROBLEM F: 3 Spades
PROBLEM H: Spade 4

blubayou

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2023, 08:12:44 PM »
SOLUTIONS FOR:Jock McQuade3 Bag EndHobbiton OR 97030U.S.A.
PROBLEM B: 4 Hearts
PROBLEM C: 5 Clubs
PROBLEM D: 3 Spades
PROBLEM F: 4 Diamonds
PROBLEM G: 4 Diamonds
PROBLEM H: Diamond Jack

A copy of these solutions will be e-mailed to you for your records.

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2023, 09:37:25 PM »
Problem A:  3NT  I have had some of Hoki's concerns about 3NT and had just about pulled the trigger on 4 !H, when I took a moment to construct a minimum where partner might have bid as they have in the problem:  ♠ x   ♥ QJxxx   ♦ KTx   ♣ AKQx.  I think partner could have a bit more, but I think KT8x should be sufficient to tie up the spades long enough to scramble nine tricks.

Problem B  2 !D It is tempting to splinter on this, but the purpose of a splinter is to show fit (check) and highlight the side suits (no check).  There is one side-suit that is also of splinter length.  So I will show partner where I live before I show the fit.

Problem C 4 !C  Really torn on this one, more because of the options not available.  If partner had started with one heart, I would have had the impossible spade to show the big club fit.  Now I only seem to have various levels of club raises, and how high is largely a guess.  I have wonderful controls, but limited values, and a lot of clubs.  I have no presumption that 4 !C is forcing, but it should be invitational

Problem D  Double I have roughly invitational values and not so distributional that I could not bear to hear partner pass.  But the real point is that partner could have four spades, two hearts or a willingness to play in 3NT if balanced.  At matchpoints I feel we need to compete here.

Problem E  3 !C  I with Hoki, in that I am not certain that I want push the opponent's into game.  The advantage of 3 !C is that it helps partner with the lead if they play in the presumed heart contract and it hasn't necessarily given up on spades.  I guess what I am saying is that it is a more flexible bid, with distinct immediate advantages.

Problem F 3 !D  Torn between going low with 3 !D amd high with a Western cue.  At IMPs not-vulnerable, I will aim low and hope the Panel is not hungry for a game.

Problem G  Double  I can always leap about in diamonds later, but we may have a heart fit.  And knowledge of the double fit may be critical before the end.

Problem H !S A  This is such a terrible lot to lead from, I can only think about the invitation via clubs (btw my best suit), so the key may be to find out and knockout the side entry.  So I am leading the spade ace to look at dummy and figure out what to attack next.

SOLUTIONS FOR:
James Creech
Fredericksburg VA 22407
U.S.A.

PROBLEM H: Spade Ace
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

yleexotee

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2023, 12:55:45 AM »
PROBLEM A: 3 Notrump - first thing that came to mind and I'm sticking with it. usual thing where a minor contract might be a possibility.
PROBLEM B: 2 Diamonds - so many bids can fit here. spade splinter is not bad, but I hate the space it takes up. strongly considered jacoby 2nt, but similarly concerned that its a bit of a slam killer. finally settled on 2D, which has the benefit of showing at least 5 diamonds before I show pard the heart fit, and stays so low i can hope for some good info from pard on whether we are in grand slam territory.
PROBLEM C: 4 Clubs -almost chickened out and went 3clubs but it felt too wimpy.
PROBLEM D: Double - I can't bring myself to pass when opps are pass and weak bid. pard has to do something!
PROBLEM E: 3 Spades- I wrote down 3clubs, but I think in real life, I am more likely to bid 3S. It's semi preemptive of their easy landing spot of 3h and so puts more pressure on them to figure out their level.
PROBLEM F: 3 Diamonds - this time I"m sticking with the lower level bid
PROBLEM G: Double - majors first. the x is a must for me.
PROBLEM H: Spade 4 - going with one of the majors and trying the one with the ace at the top in case we can trap an honor. Lot's of lead choices on this one!