Author Topic: 2023 JULY MSC  (Read 3434 times)

Masse24

• View Profile
2023 JULY MSC
« on: May 02, 2023, 12:01:20 PM »
JULY 2023 MSC
Deadline: MAY 30 at 11:59 p.m. (ET)

Submit your JULY MSC responses here: The Bridge World - MASTER SOLVERS CLUB

BWS 2017 System: BWS 2017
BWS 2017 POLLS, CHANGES AND ADDITIONS: BWS 2017 - Polls, Changes, and Additions
  • Bridge World Standard 2017 (BWS or BWS2017) is effective beginning with the January 2017 Master Solvers' Club problems. This page shows (1) the results of the panelist polls that were used to adjust the system; and (2) the changes in and the additions to Bridge World Standard 2001 (BWS2001) that were made.
    In the listings of the questions and answers, an asterisk indicates the BWS2001 agreement; the proportion of the expert votes for each item, rounded to the nearest percent, is shown in brackets.

IAC Forum MSC Scores

If you post to The Bridge World you will receive a confirmation immediately and by email. It is preferred that you copy/paste that confirmation as it is easy to read due to the formatting. (Thanks!)

Also, if you post to The Bridge World those will be your official bids. If you make a mistake (try not to as it has happened), you will have to live with it.

“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

blubayou

• IACAdmins
  • lifelong director [1977-2010] and haunter of ACBL
    • View Profile
Re: 2023 JULY MSC
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2023, 04:35:09 PM »
problem D  is surely the "lead" problem...  stiff diamond?  or our club suit (less juicy than usual,  since tapping them out  is already accomplished?

Problem A:>>  A simple jump to  5 !S  looked fine to me at first, but why shouldn't that show an even bigger hand  with two diamond losers??
                                                                 ---5 Diamonds---

Problem B:>>                                            ---Three Clubs---

Probleam C:>>  12 points,  pretty-good 6-card suit  looks like "1H...2H...3H"  to me.  no need to commit to some half-baked third bid when pard can steer us to port with HIS 3rd bid.
                                                                    ---Three Hearts---

Problem D:>>  My May First shot of leaving in the double of 2 spades is hereby cancelled!.  Take out a deck of cards and give partner 9-10 pts , void in spades and four (five??) hearts and 9 minor cards--preferably  4 diamonds and 5 clubs. ( My first effort gave our side a slam in clubs, when Lefty happened to be dealt  Kx in clubs! ). Meanwhile, the opps  had an easy ride to 7 tricks in their 2 spades.
   Really, pard is bound to have very decent clubs since his hearts are Kxxx or worse and he has zero spades.
                                                                    ---Five Clubs---

Problem E:>>   A stretchy jump-rebid to 3 !H  becomes a very comfortable  non-jump, when opp intervene, If you're needing to bid a third time then  "hearts, hearts, clubs"  is better than some alternative.
                                                                  ---Three Hearts---

Problem F:>> 

« Last Edit: May 24, 2023, 01:04:28 PM by blubayou »
often it is better to beg forgiveness, than ask permission

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2023, 03:45:34 AM »
Initial thoughts.

Problem A:  ?  I don't like my options at this point.  Partner punted in such a way that I have trouble showing both my fine suit, my extras, as well as a solid fit for the other major and great controls.  Too much to show, and no room to show it.

Problem B:  3 !C  Despite my balanced shape, I think it is right to show support.  Except for the !S Q, the values are generally better for suit contracts.  If we belong in NT, it should be from partner's side of the table.

Problem C:  3 !S  A punt.  I am still not certain about the strain, and I don't want to bypass 3NT when that is a possibility.  Second choice is 3NT based on Hamman's Law.

Problem D:  3 !C  I am torn between 3 !C and Pass.  I think the values are close to Pass, but I fear the long clubs and stiff !D K.  I will feel better doubling 3 !S, if given a chance.

Problem E:  3 !C  I think just freely bidding at the three-level implies extra values.  Perhaps not quite as good as this, but close.

Problem F:  3 NT  Showing stoppers and some decent general values, but not much of a spade fit.  I wishh I had a second spade, but perhaps I can borrow one from one of the round suits.

Problem G:  3 !H  Is it asking for a stopper or a minor two-suiter?  The hints all include spades, so a simple cue might hit my two suits.  Otherwise, all I can think of is double and pull spades to clubs to show the other two suits.  Time enough to mull this a while longer.

Problem H:  !C 6  When partner bids, I like to respect the effort by leading the suit.  It also helps that the no-trumper is between my lead and partner's suit.  The safe lead feels like the !D K - the outstanding diamonds might be split 1-1 or 2-0, but it might be good to get rid of the ace early.
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

DickHy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2023, 06:12:49 PM »
A view from the intermediate bench.

A.  4N.  4 !D shows both majors, so we’re playing in spades.  4 !S seems wimpish, as I would have bid the same with KQxxx in spades, but how is slam best investigated?  5 !D or 5N seem blind shots. What would 4N be?  If it’s Blackwood, I can bid 5 !S, 6 !S, 5N after 5 !C, 5 !D, and 5 !H respectively.  That seems ok.  If 4N is summat else, I'll get a kicking -- two actually, one from myself too 

B.  2N.  Presumably 2 !C may not be a real suit.  Qxx isn’t a stop but I’m not promising one with 2N, a bid which describes the hand well.   

C.  3 !H.  Qxx isn’t a stop and I would be promising one with a bid of 3N.  There is the “I’ve shown a stop in the bidding so don’t need one in my hand” approach, I guess.  My 2 !H may not show 6-card suit, 3 !H would.  Partner has choices then: 4 !H (with two hearts), 3N with a spade stop, 4m with more shapely minors and 3 !S asking for a spade stop.  With the last two, I’ll sign-off with 5 !C.

D.  pass/3 !C.  This looks to be a 20/20 hand.  What’s better, declaring 3 !C or defending 2 !S x?

E.  x/3 !C (4 !H?).  They look to have a 64 spade fit, so we ought to have a fit somewhere.  BWS G(a) says 1N is semi-forcing limited at most to GI.  Partner could have 31(9m)/32(8m) or 33(xx) 10/11 intending to re-bid 3 !H.  A double will reveal which one. 3 !C would too, but might deter partner from bidding a 5c !D suit?  However, a 3 !S bid seems likely and if partner passes that I’m dithering over 4 !C, 4 !H and double.  Would banging down an immediate 4 !H be better?

F.  3N.  For the 2 !C, partner could be balanced 22-24 (with Kx or xx) in diamonds.  That’s unlikely as E would then be ATxxx and W xxx, which seem rather meagre holdings for their bidding even if they are white v red.  Partner’s probably unbalanced and a tad stronger.  However, this is an opportunity to show my stops in the other suits.  Partner can still carry on.

G.  x.   I’ll bid 3 !D over 2 !C or try not to go nuts over 3 !C.  I’ll break a 2N Lebensohl transfer with 3 !D.  If partner was intending to continue 3 !H (showing 4c spades and a heart stop), he can bid 3N.   

H.    !D K/  !C 6.  W looks to be 2344/2353 and E 55xx.  Partner has made a two-level overcall vulnerable.  In the best of worlds, E is 5512 and W is 2353 – I lead the diamond K, partner ruffs W’s A and plays A, K and another club.   If I do that with E 5503, E gets rid of a club loser, but are we getting only two anyway? 
« Last Edit: May 07, 2023, 09:28:24 AM by DickHy »

wackojack

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2023, 08:13:54 PM »
Problem A

4NT. 
I would like to ask partner how many Aces.  If 2 then I ask for kings.  How do I do that? I think 4NT must be asking for aces.  So 4NT.

Problem B

2NT.
I have a balanced 13 so I must show that by bidding 2NT.  OK what could go wrong?
Suppose partner had ♠x,  ♥AQx, ♦Qxx, ♣KQJxxx.  Then I would expect him to bid 3♣ and we get to the reasonable 5♣ contract.
Suppose partner had ♠Jx, ♥Axx, ♦Qxx, ♣KQJxx and you raise to 3♣. Then only poor bidding will get you to the making 3NT.  So 2NT it is. 

Problem C
3♠
First of all, after 1♥-2♣, I believe that if you rebid 2♥ in this position, then you are showing a 6 card ♥ suit. You have good alternatives with only a 5 card ♥ suit.   With say ♠xx, ♥KQJ10x, ♦Axx, ♣Kxx,; then you  would raise to 3♣.  With say ♠Qxx, ♥KQJ10x, ♦Ax, ♣Jxx you would rebid 2NT (similar to problem B) So when partner bids 3♦, he has longer clubs than diamonds and not 4♠ and likely singleton ♥.  So 3145, 2146  or perhaps even wilder.  So I bid the 4th suit 3♠ and partner will bid 3N with 3145 and a partial ♠ guard. Or 4♣ with 2146.   If I bid 3♠ now partner should be able to supply the answers.
Partner with a strong hand say: ♠Ax, ♥ x, ♦ KQJ10, ♣ AKQxxx will bid 4NT

Problem D
Pass 
Partner has likely 1444 distribution, say ♠ x, ♥ KJxx, ♦ Axxx, ♣ AQxx.  If as good as this we will take 2♠ + likely 3♥, +2♦ + 1♣ = +500 more than game our way.  If less then we will still get more than the possible  part score.

Problem E
Double:
We could only have an 8 card fit.  Partner could have a 3244 distribution; say ♠Qxx, ♥xx, ♦Qxx, ♣Kxxx.  If I double could we still get to 4♥?  I think so.  Partner will bid 3♣ and I will rebid 3♥.   And partner will raise to 4♥ with a doubleton.  I note that opps having a 10 card ♠ fit and we having an 8 card ♣ or ♥ fit then total tricks = 10.  So if we can make 4♥ then opps should go 2 off in 4♠ and so we have a 500 penalty which is more than our nv +420 in 4♥ . 

Problem F
3NT
First thoughts were that I am too strong to bid 3NT. Say partner has ♠ AKQ10xx, ♥ Kxx, ♦x, ♣ AKQ.  Then would we miss the ♣ or ♠ slam?  OTOH this is match point pairs and perhaps we should go for the certain 3NT +1 or +2. 

Problem G
3♥
I think shows the minors.  Problem:  What if partner then bids 3♠? I think I will bid 3NT and hold my breath.

Problem H

Why did East double and then bid 2 suits when a response of 2♠ would have been forcing? I will leave this until I can answer that question.   

hoki

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2023, 10:10:42 PM »
A 5
The plan is to settle for slam in the suit of partner's choice.

B 2NT
Normally I would raise to 3 and move on, but these panellists
seem to prefer to show shape and not care about such piffling
matters as stoppers.

C 3
I'm reluctant to bid hearts again since that would show seven
of them.

D Pass - and lead a trump.
They do say that trump leads are mandatory against doubled
suit partscores. With partner passing in the direct seat I don't
expect that our side can make game - and the hand does meet
the rule of nine.

E Double
The problem is whether to raise a 3 response to the four level
or whether to rebid my hearts, probably the latter.

F 3NT
If my earlier pass shows at least something, then this does not
have to end the auction.

G 3
Hmmm, no comment.

H C6
not K, which would have been my
choice against 3NT (misread the problem first time around)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2023, 08:55:44 PM by hoki »

wackojack

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2023, 10:19:23 PM »

SOLUTIONS FOR:
Jack Goody
U.K.

These bids are what I would do at the table against expert opponents.  No way will I try and 2nd guess what I think the panel will do and go against my judgement on what I think is right.   
PROBLEM A: 4 Notrump
PROBLEM B: 2 Notrump
PROBLEM C: 3 Spades
PROBLEM D: Pass
PROBLEM E: Double
PROBLEM F: 3 Notrump
PROBLEM G: 3 Hearts
PROBLEM H: Club 6

yleexotee

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2023, 10:32:34 PM »
PROBLEM G: 4 Notrump

veredk

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2023, 05:21:18 PM »
PROBLEM C: 3 Hearts
PROBLEM G: Double

ccr3

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2023, 11:03:52 PM »
Your Solutions for the July 2023 Contest
-------------------
PROBLEM A: 5 Diamonds
PROBLEM B: 3 Clubs
PROBLEM D: 3 Clubs
PROBLEM E: 3 Clubs
PROBLEM H: Heart 5

blubayou

• IACAdmins
  • lifelong director [1977-2010] and haunter of ACBL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2023, 09:04:51 PM »
SOLUTIONS FOR:Jock McQuade 3 Bag End Hobbiton OR 97030U.S.A.
PROBLEM A: 5 Diamonds
PROBLEM C: 3 Hearts
PROBLEM D: 4 Clubs
PROBLEM E: 3 Hearts
PROBLEM G: 2 Notrump
PROBLEM H: Heart 3A
copy of these ...
« Last Edit: May 31, 2023, 09:07:08 PM by blubayou »
often it is better to beg forgiveness, than ask permission

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2023, 12:24:45 AM »
SOLUTIONS FOR:
Todd Holes

PROBLEM A: 4 Spades
Partner may simply have a choice of games for his 4 !D call. I've already shown extras by doubling at the three level. While I do have a bit more, I'm going to allow partner to make the slam move.

Somewhat of a system agreement question. I believe that over 1 !D a 2 !C response shows 5+. A 2 !D rebid in this auction absolutely shows 5+, so that is out. And although my shape is right for 2NT, my "stoppers" are lacking. So . . . support with support.

Showing something, but not enough to bid 3NT.

Partner has some sort of 0=4=5=4 opening hand or close. Not going to punish him for the prebalance.

Clearly showing extras. The quality of the club suit is such that I prefer to show it rather than double.

I've shown values with my initial pass. This is sort of an interesting call since it conveys the nature of my hand. Partner is clearly short in diamonds, so will likely make another call. But if he passes, that's okay.

Too strong to pass. Not right to double. That leaves this ambiguous cuebid. Hopefully, we can agree on a suit.

I'm not imaginative enough to come up with something better.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2023, 01:10:49 AM by Masse24 »
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2023, 02:29:38 AM »
SOLUTIONS FOR:
James Creech

FREDERICKSBURG VA 22407
U.S.A.

PROBLEM A: 4 Spades  Too many things to show, so I will show that I have a fine suit and that I have extras.  Anything beyond that partner will have to ask.

I only added the one answer I balked at before.  As much as I hate being identical to Todd, I was there before him on all but the first problem.

bAbsG

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2023, 02:13:31 PM »
SOLVER: Babs Giesbrecht
       Canada

Your Solutions for the July 2023 Contest 
-------------------
PROBLEM A: 4 Spades
PROBLEM E: 3 Hearts
PROBLEM G: Double
PROBLEM H: Diamond King

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2023, 04:48:05 PM »
July Results

Hoki led the IAC solvers with 710. VeredK came in second with 640, while JCreech and Masse24 were close behind with 620.

The Bridge World honor roll this month required a minimum of 680 (Hoki was the only one making the honor roll). A low scoring--and very difficult--month.

NAMEBW-SCORE
Hoki     710   
VeredK     640 
JCreech     620   
Masse24     620   

Also participating this month were:  BabsG, BluBayou, CCR3, WackoJack, YleeXotee.

Congratulations to all!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2023, 09:43:23 PM by jcreech »