Author Topic: 2023 JUNE MSC  (Read 3991 times)

Masse24

• View Profile
2023 JUNE MSC
« on: April 04, 2023, 02:11:10 AM »
JUNE 2023 MSC
Deadline: APRIL 30 at 11:59 p.m. (ET)

Submit your JUNE MSC responses here: The Bridge World - MASTER SOLVERS CLUB

BWS 2017 System: BWS 2017
BWS 2017 POLLS, CHANGES AND ADDITIONS: BWS 2017 - Polls, Changes, and Additions
  • Bridge World Standard 2017 (BWS or BWS2017) is effective beginning with the January 2017 Master Solvers' Club problems. This page shows (1) the results of the panelist polls that were used to adjust the system; and (2) the changes in and the additions to Bridge World Standard 2001 (BWS2001) that were made.
    In the listings of the questions and answers, an asterisk indicates the BWS2001 agreement; the proportion of the expert votes for each item, rounded to the nearest percent, is shown in brackets.

IAC Forum MSC Scores

If you post to The Bridge World you will receive a confirmation immediately and by email. It is preferred that you copy/paste that confirmation as it is easy to read due to the formatting. (Thanks!)

Also, if you post to The Bridge World those will be your official bids. If you make a mistake (try not to as it has happened), you will have to live with it.

“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

blubayou

• IACAdmins
  • lifelong director [1977-2010] and haunter of ACBL
    • View Profile
2023 JUNE MSC
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2023, 12:31:45 PM »
A:   4 !D  --  WHATEVER it means,  it's working

B:  2 !H  cue-invite might beat single raise?

C: Double  one-answer bogus problum deal! OOps;  doubling partner's  2C overcall would be excellent,  if legal...

D: ---(no "speedball" answer  for this nasty problem)---

E:  4 !S  Patterning out beats shortness cuebids  in the MSC

F:  4 !H  we loose  a club and 2 majors---"points schmoints!"

G:  1NT  ??? give me  AKX and XX   in the minors, and we  can debate  some different opening.

H:  !S 8  Sometimes you CAN get a ruff  with your singleton trump ::)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2023, 11:46:05 AM by blubayou »
often it is better to beg forgiveness, than ask permission

jcreech

• View Profile
2023 JUNE MSC
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2023, 03:02:39 PM »

D: ---(no "speedball" answer  for this nasty problem)---

Problem D

Matchpoints
Neither side vulnerable
You, South, hold:

♠ J 9 3    A K J    A K Q 10 4   ♣ J 7
SOUTH   WEST   NORTH   EAST
  ——       1 ♠       Pass       Pass
Double*   Pass      2        Pass
   ?         
*BWS: 2 NT would have shown 18-19 HCP

What call do you make?

Got intrigued with Jock's comment, and now I see what he means.  You gave up the simple description on the first round of bidding due to only a partial stopper.  Now you have to decide between a cue-bid, that I think is a bit strong given five black losers, a raise with only three pieces, when partner could only have four, and bidding the diamonds and hoping that if hearts are right, partner will rebid them (or that you will get a chance to show the support later).

Right now, I am definitely headed toward a red-suit bid, but which one?  My inclination is toward the hearts.  I may not be happy ruffing a club with the jack, but it is better than ruffing with the queen (and maybe partner has the queen).
« Last Edit: April 06, 2023, 01:18:53 PM by Masse24 »
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

wackojack

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
Re: 2023 JUNE MSC
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2023, 08:59:46 AM »
Yes, a nasty problem.

Optimistically:   
West opened with 12 East has 3.  So partner has 6. Maybe:   !S Axx.  !H Qxxxx,  !D xx,  !C xxx. That just about makes 4 !H a good contract.  BUt only just.

Pessimistically:
West opened with 15, East has 3.  So partner has 3.  Maybe:  !S xxx  !H Qxxxx,  !D Jx,  !C xxx.   You lose 5 tricks off the top.

So at match points it is tempting to pass. 

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2023, 01:49:10 AM »
Just looked at June now.
As to the lead problem, I think partner's double is screaming for a heart lead to his void. But I want to maintain control of the suit, so I'll underlead my !H Ace. The !H J looks right, asking for a spade return (the ace?).

On second thought --- probably not. I lead stiffs more than I should. Why stop now?

Nothing set in stone. I hate am not fond of lead problems.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2023, 11:39:52 AM by Masse24 »
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

blubayou

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2023, 01:06:48 PM »

Problem A:>>    BWS2017:  1C, (2NT), ___? Over another bid showing two fixed suits:(b) the cheapest cue-bid (actual or virtual) shows at least game-invitational strength and the remaining suit;  the second-cheapest cue-bid (actual or virtual) shows a game-invitational or stronger raise of opener's minor.
  I guess that rules out partner having Axx,  xx, Qxxx, AKxx for our  Kxx, AKQx, --, QJxxxx (or even similar with five trumps)? 
  So shall we bid the simple cuebid of 3 !H  hoping to hear 3 !S  OR 3NT (Will be ugly if we don't have running clubs)?  No--  I will remove the temptation to land in 3NT and stay with the knee-jerk SPLINTER.
                                                   ---Four Diamonds---
Problem B:>> This looks enough like an honest heart raise to bump it up a notch and cuebid.  Don't know what will happen next,  except we will be raising 2 spades.
                                                    ---Two Clubs---
Problem C:>>   We have everything we need for a cue-advance of pard's 2 clubs, except a third trump.  I am doing this anyway:
                                                   ---Two Hearts---

Problem D:>> If we raise to 3 !H , they may grab 5 off the top as discussed above, on top of that, partner may not realize  that his 5-6 count  is what we need for game  (Qxxxx + club king, or diamond jack?)
                                                  ---Pass----
Problem E:>>  Most MSC panelists have no objection to a phony jump-shift on this auction.  They and I have to pay the piper this time:  slam in clubs is so likely that we cannot support spades right now; we must confirm our fit and cue in diamonds.  There is a fair chance that spades and clubs both make the same tricks, and that we won't be able to get back to the major :( . .....
  I regret that I have to give up on patterning out  with delayed spade support and  that not doing so  may hyrt a lot  (IT WON'T BE THE FIRST GUESS THAT HURTS A LOT THIS MONTH, I FEAR.
                                                 ---fOUR dIAMONDS---

Problem F:>>  Expecting a dummy equivalent to AKxx, Kxx, AKxxx, x to go with our 'measly'   Jxxx, QJTxx, Q, Txx!  The panel may say "THAT  is a jump-shift to 2 !S , so pray hard, Blu!", but  I'm standing firm.
                                                  ---Four Hearts---

Problem G:>>  A creative 1 diamond,  atruly antique 1 Spade??  WHAT else, seriously  than....
                                                ---One Notrump--- ??

Problem H:>>  Lead stiff,  get ruff,  set up 3 pitches for declarer.  Oh well, sigh.
                                                ---Spade 8---

Say goodby , for a month to those scores above 730, friends.  LOTS of questions for us to be very out of step with the panel.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2023, 05:54:50 PM by blubayou »

veredk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2023, 08:11:12 PM »

PROBLEM A: 4 Diamonds
PROBLEM B: 1 Spade
PROBLEM C: 2 Diamonds
PROBLEM D: 3 Diamonds
PROBLEM E: 4 Spades
PROBLEM F: 3 Spades
PROBLEM G: 1 Notrump
PROBLEM H: Spade 8

hoki

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2023, 08:34:46 AM »
A: 5C, although I did toy with that fancy idea of trying a 4D splinter bid
(but rejected that idea as being too much pie-in-the-sky stuff when it is not even
certain that we can make game)

B: 1 NT, second-guessing the panellists who normally don't give a stuff about
piffling things like stoppers (at the table I'd probably agree with 1S)

C: 2D, forward-going but non-forcing constructive in standard is fine

D: 2S, in the hope of coping with any continuation (3D over 3C should
show heart support)

E: 4D, a cue bid with maybe 4S to come (over 4H)

F: Pass - haven't I already bid my hand (if not overbid it, lol)

G: 1D, at matchpoints I'd like to explore for a major-suit first
before committing to notrump with the hidden agenda of maybe
deterring a diamond lead against a NT contract

H: S8, my thinking (as misguided as I sometimes may be) is
that a partner who wanted a heart ruff would not double
because surely I would be expected to lead a heart normally
without the double

blubayou

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2023, 06:06:15 PM »
SOLUTIONS FOR:]Jock McQuade 3 bag end Hobbiton OR .
A.PROBLEM A: 4 Diamonds
PROBLEM B: 2 Club
sPROBLEM C: 2 Hearts
PROBLEM D: Pas
sPROBLEM E: 4 Diamonds
PROBLEM F: 4 Hearts

I have raised partner TWICE with a doubleton, bid ONCE ONLY with 19-count, and accepted a game invite with a blase'  6-count.  What can possibly go wrong?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2023, 01:58:32 AM by blubayou »

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2023, 12:39:41 AM »
JUNE GUESSES:

PROBLEM A: 5 Clubs
PROBLEM B: 1 Notrump
PROBLEM H: Heart Ace

Should have play. An exploratory splinter, or even 3 !H (my second choice) accomplishes what? What sort of perfecto does partner need for slam to be decent?

PROBLEM B: 1NT
Ten third is stopperish. Keeps things alive if partner has more to say.

Unanimous?

Really tough problem. 2 Spades is tempting, to elicit more information, but that’s a game-force and I’m just a bit short on values. 3 Hearts (my second choice) with only three is also tempting. But 3 Diamonds gets my values across and leaves the door open for partner to continue with a few values.

This one confuses me a bit. I think 4 Diamonds will be the popular solver choice, but it doesn’t feel right. Can 4 Spades be interpreted as shaping out? Can it be passed? It is Matchpoints.

We belong in Hearts since Club ruffs need to be taken in the short hand. Even if we only get one ruff I can envision game, so I will accept. Partner should have a 4=3=5=1 hand with 16 (or possibly 17) HCP. Maybe a hand like: !S KQ93 - !H K94 - !D AKJT7 - !C 2 ???  Can that hand make game? I hope so.

PROBLEM G: 1NT
KnR on this hand is 17.9. Knowing that, if we choose NOT to open 1NT, do we open 1C or 1D?  I think I’ll stick with the slightly overstrength 1NT.

PROBLEM H: Heart Ace
I’ve recently developed a distaste for lead problems.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2023, 12:43:43 AM by Masse24 »

ccr3

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2023, 12:42:25 AM »

Your Solutions for the June 2023 Contest
-------------------
PROBLEM A: 3 Hearts
PROBLEM F: 3 Spades

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2023, 02:11:48 AM »
SOLUTIONS FOR:
James Creech

Fredericksburg VA 22407
U.S.A.

PROBLEM A: 5 Clubs  I don't see much chance for a slam, so I will holster the cue-bids and just bid the club game.

PROBLEM B: 1 Notrump  I am a maximum for my bidding, but then a minimum for my stopper.  I don't want to introduce a four-card suit, even at the one-level.  I will settle for my least of evils/ best of descriptions.

PROBLEM C: 2 Diamonds  I may be a bit heavy for my bid, but it is the best description.  I can tolerate partner's suit and I want to make a constructive move.  This satisfies those desires without going crazy.

PROBLEM D: 2 Spades  A nebulous cue-bid.  I want to show support, but leave room for more description.  This cue takes up the least space, and maybe I will hear something I like.

PROBLEM E: 4 Diamonds  To show shape or to cue-bid?  I think I will cue-bid rather than imply the shortness.  Since I hope to be slamming, I won't like bidding 4 !S and then hear pass.

PROBLEM F: 3 Spades  I am tempted to pass, but then is partner bidding out their shape or cue-bidding.  I'll retreat to our 4-4, and hopefully showing a hand that is weak.

PROBLEM G: 1 Diamond  I was tempted to bid 1 NT, but it feels bigger than its HCPs.  Also bidding 1 !D gives us a better shot to find a major, and deceptively discourages a diamond lead if I bid the NT.

PROBLEM H: Spade 8  I think the double is steering me away from the heart lead, but what should I lead?  I doubt that partner is ruffing clubs, but he might have the spade ace.  As the saying goes, I cannot have a singleton if I did not make it my opening lead.

yleexotee

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2023, 02:45:15 AM »
Running late and had to submit. So these are all my first thoughts, with almost no thinking involved. Which most of you will surely note is the usual.

PROBLEM D: 2 Spades
PROBLEM F: Pass

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2023, 05:54:12 PM »
June Results

Masse24 and Hoki led the IAC solvers with 700 and 690 respectively. JCreech and YleeXotee were close behind with 670.

The Bridge World honor roll this month required a minimum of 690 (Hoki and Masse24 both making the honor roll). A low scoring--and very difficult--month.

NAMEBW-SCORE
Masse24     700   
Hoki     690 
JCreech     670   
YleeXotee     670   

Also participating this month were:  BabsG, BluBayou, CCR3, VeredK.

Congratulations to all!

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2023, 12:43:38 PM »
June MSC SUMMARY (Part 1) – Danny Kleinman, Director

Problem A  4 !D (VeredK, BluBayou)

Imps  Both sides vulnerable
You, South, hold:

♠ K 4 2    A K Q 6    —   ♣ Q J 7 6 3 2

1 ♣       2 NT*     3 ♣     Pass
   ?         
*red suits; any strength

What call do you make?

You opened 1 !C with six, when you could have easily only had three, the opponents show both red suits, and partner raises.  Partner had the ability to show a stronger club raise through unusual vs. unusual, so he is clearly limited by the decision to not use a cue-bid. According to BWS2017, North is limited to less than a game-invitational raise of clubs.

5 ♣   50   Bridge World Panel (BWP) 11%   Bridge World solvers (BWS) 20 Intermediate/Advanced Club (IAC) 57%
The low road was not a popular approach by the panel, but it was the majority choice of IAC.  Hoki says "although I did toy with that fancy idea of trying a 4D splinter bid (but rejected that idea as being too much pie-in-the-sky stuff when it is not even certain that we can make game)"  Similarly, JCreech doesn't "... see much chance for a slam, so I will holster the cue-bids and just bid the club game."  Masse24 thinks it "Should have play. An exploratory splinter, or even 3 !H (my second choice) accomplishes what? What sort of perfecto does partner need for slam to be decent?"  David Berkowitz argues "No call seems appropriate, so I will try to buy the contract.  Feels like partner is 3=1=4=5, but who knows how to reach slam opposite ace-king-fifth in clubs?  At least I've shut out four diamonds."  And Robert Wolff will "... probably bid six if pushed but I can hope that an opponent doubles five clubs."

3    70   BWP 30%   BWS 36% IAC 1 solver
It is not clear how best to start the cue-bidding process.  The heart bidders thinks it show a concentration of values.  Doub and Wildavsky says "Bidding where we live.  We can't yet picture partenr's hand well, so we'll show ours."  similarly, Drew Casen: "I like to bid where I live.  If partner bids three notrump, I will probably settle for five clubs.  If partner does not bid three notrump, I will look for six clubs."  Frank Stewart is "Heading for six clubs if I can receive just a little cooperation from partner.  Over four clubs, I will try four diamonds."  Jeff Alexander thinks that "If partner doesn't bid three notrump, slam is in the picture.  Partner figures to have fewer than five cards in the majors."  Kevin Bathurst feels "Slam may be excellent if partner if partner has the spade ace and a high club honor, but more likely he's loaded in diamonds.  I won't pass three notrump, which could fail if we have only one stopper in diamonds or spades so I'll keep looking for a club slam."  Irinia Levitina "If partner bids three notrump or four clubs, I'll bid five clubs.  If he bids three spades or jumps to five clubs (showing strong clubs), I'll bid six clubs."  Typically, with the opponents showing two suits, a cue-bid shows a stopper in the bid suit and is seeking a stop in the other suit; it seems like 3 !H is placing the emphasis on the wrong suit, seeking wastage rather than useful controls.

4    100   BWP 52%   BWS 23%  IAC 29%
By the barest of majorities, the Panel has slam in their eyes via a splinter.  BluBayou discussed the limits imposed with a simple raise under BWS2017 before saying: "I guess that rules out partner having Axx,  xx, Qxxx, AKxx for our  Kxx, AKQx, --, QJxxxx (or even similar with five trumps)?  So shall we bid the simple cuebid of 3 !H  hoping to hear 3 !S  OR 3NT (Will be ugly if we don't have running clubs)?  No--  I will remove the temptation to land in 3NT and stay with the knee-jerk SPLINTER."  Kit Woolsey is "Showing diamond shortness and slam interest.  If Partner control-bids four spades, I'll bid slam.  If partner has both top clubs, he can work out that he has the right cards."  Eric Kokish thinks "With two key cards, North won't stop short of slam, which might still take some luck if those cards are the ace and king of clubs."  Carl Hudecek believes "Partner will interpret this as a cue-bid slam-try.  He can control-bid the sueful ace of spades, or sign off in five clubs with a hand like: ♠ Jxx   xx    xxx   ♣ AKxxx."  Marty Bergen: "A splinter, not an-ask.  Slam is on the horizon."  Billy Eisenberg is "Hoping for a spade control-bid."  Nick L'Ecuyer: "I don't need much to make six clubs, so I'll try for it. Partner won't control-bid hearts but may well control-bid spades.  I'll bid six clubs over any sign of life."  Zia says "A four-spade bid from partner will turn me on."  Jeff Rubens: "I'll bid six clubs over four spades."  I like Robb Gordon's thoughts best: "I don't need much for slam and want to elicit information below five clubs."  Coupled with Bart Bramley's: "Should get partner to focus on the right things.  ... I will bid slam over any positive move."  Which leads to Ron Smith's "We could have a slam on a good day."

My problem with most slam tries with this hand is whether North would be showing a first-round or second-round control.  When dealing with a minor, it is easy to get too high.  In those situations, I find it better to bid the game that is almost certain to make, than to stretch for a slam that might risk turning a plus into a minus position at imps. 

Problem B  1 NT  (CCR3, Hoki, YleeXotee, JCreech, Masse24)

Imps  Neither side vulnerable
You, South, hold:

♠ Q 8 6 4    A 10    K J 6 2   ♣ 10 5 4

——       1 ♣        1       Pass
   ?         
What call do you make?

LHO opened 1 !C, partner overcalled 1 !H, RHO passed and you have 10 HCPs in a semi-balanced hand with no stopper in the opponent's suit, and only doubleton support for partner.  Not a lot of outstanding choices. Robb Gordon summarizes nicely: "A typical Master Solvers' Club dilemma:  bid notrump without a stopper, raise on a doubleton, or bid one spade with only four."

Pass   30   BWP 1 Panelist   BWS 5% IAC No solvers
The alternative that did not occur to most, but upon reflection, has a lot to offer is the simple pass.  Carl Hudecek thinks "The auction isn't over yet.  East's pass has made the auction more difficult for me."  In these days of negative doubles, the virtually automatic reopening double makes pass a standout.  Wouldn't you be willing to take your chances with 1 !H doubled if passed back to you?  And if it isn't, then you may have a better option available to you.

1 NT   100   BWP 74%   BWS 4% IAC 71%
A strong majority of the Panel and IAC show their shape and good values.  Although the points may be toward the top, the important thing is to show the shape and not worry about stoppers.  Bart Bramley considers the bid to be "Closest to what I have. One notrump should be safe, and three notrump is our most-likely game on the evidence so far.  Still time to find other strains.  Pass, one spade, and heart raises all pale in comparison."  JCreech argues "I am a maximum for my bidding, but then a minimum for my stopper.  I don't want to introduce a four-card suit, even at the one-level.  I will settle for my least of evils/ best of descriptions."  Phillip Alder: "I would prefer a better suit to bid one spade on four.  I also would prefer better clubs for one notrump, but the hand is too strong to pass."    Masse24: "Ten third is stopperish. Keeps things alive if partner has more to say."  Zia: "some prefer one spade, but I'd like four better spades when I have this club stopper."  Eric Kokish argues "It's just the one-level - lots of time to look for a better strain."  Hoki is "second-guessing the panellists who normally don't give a stuff about piffling things like stoppers (at the table I'd probably agree with 1S)"

1 ♠   50   BWP 15%   BWS 32% IAC 1 solver
Hating to bid 1 NT without a stopper, something to try bidding 1 !SMarty Bergen says "I believe strongly that after partner overcalls, advancer's new-suit bid at the one-level should be forcing with four or more cards in the suit."  Kevin Bathurst: "If this may be based on as few as four.  I prefer it to one notrump, my close secnd choice, which may fail when West has genuine clubs."  Nick L'Ecuyer is "Keeping everything in the picture.  A fifth spade would be nice but I don't have one."  Marty clearly feels that an advancer should bid similar to a responder, but the moderator, Danny Kleinman, thinks the advancer's bid is "... non-forcing, (so) a one-spade advance should deliver a decent five-card suit or better.  One spade keeps one spade in the picture, and that may be the final contract if North has a garden variety one-heart overcall with a balanced hand, e.g.:  ♠ Kx    KJ98x    xxx   ♣ AQx."

2    40   BWP 7%   BWS 12% IAC No solvers
And then speaking for those who would raise.  Joel Wooldridge writes "One notrump and two hearts look good.  I prefer two hearts with no club stopper."  I have seen worse doubleton raises than A10-tight.

2 ♣   0   BWP No Panelists   NWS 3% IAC 1 solver
I will present one more option; the nebulous cue-bid.  To tell the truth, similar to the "Pass," this has more merit than the polling indicates.  BluBayou "We have everything we need for a cue-advance of pard's 2 clubs, except a third trump.  I am doing this anyway:"  If you had a third heart, this would probably be a standout first or second choice.  It gives partner a chance to show a second suit or a stopper, if inclined toward notrump.  The problem is that it is also an aggressive bid with no sure fit or stopper.  I am certain that the Panel also looked at vulnerability and were not being pushy with our side white.

Problem C  2 !D  (Masse24, JCreech, YleeXotee, Hoki, CCR3, VeredK)

Imps  East-West vulnerable
You, South, hold:

♠ A Q J 10    Q 8    Q J 10 8 5   ♣ 4 2

——       1         2 ♣      Pass
   ?*         
*BWS: new-suit bids nonforcing

What call do you make?

Partner has overcalled opener's 1 !H with 2 !C, so you, if you bid, would be the advancer.  You have 12 HCPs, doubleton support for partner, and both remaining suits, including five decent diamonds.  The hint indicates that all new suit bids are nonforcing, so a cue-bid is the only forcing bid.  Is this hand worth forcing with?  And surely a new suit would show at least constructive values; opposite what constitutes an overcall these days, what do you need to show a new suit?

3 ♣   30   BWP 1 Panelist   BWS 0% IAC No solvers
Let's start with the truly awful.  Jeff Rubens says he "Can't bring myself to pass with all these honors, however queeny."  Doubleton support and 12 HCPs?  It seems a bit much for a courtesy raise Jeff, but perhaps you have seen more terrible overcalls than I have.

2    40   BWP 7%   BWS 19% IAC 1 solver
How about making a forcing bid?  You do have 12 HCPs, and cue-bids in response to an overcall are more often of a nebulous nature - make a one-round force now and clarify whether it is a raise or something else later.  Brian Platnick thinks "North may expect better clubs or a slightly stronger hand, but this is superior to two diamonds."  BluBayou is only thinking in terms of a raise:  "We have everything we need for a cue-advance of pard's 2 clubs, except a third trump.  I am doing this anyway:"  The only thing keeping me from the cue-bid is what is my next bid?

2    100   BWP 74%   BWS 62% IAC 86%
Two diamonds feels as though it is a bit wimpy.  Phillip Alder makes a pitch for the non-systemic approach: "I prefer to use a new-suit advance as forcing, so that a cue-bid guarantees support for partner's suit.  But if partner passes two diamonds, I doubt that we will have missed game."  Kit Woolsey remarks:  "I was surprised that the BWS voters made new-suit advances of two-level overcalls nonforcing, but if partner passes two diamonds we probably won't be missing anything."  Robert Wolff says "And await developments.  I hope I'm not left here; but if I am, two diamonds may turn out well enough, especially at imps, where playing in the lower-scoring strain matters little.  I'll bid spades next in the unlikely event that I can do so conveniently."  Bart Bramley feels that "With no known fit and no sure heart stopper, game is a long way off.  Take it slowly and hope that something good happens, which could include all pass."  JCreech argues "I may be a bit heavy for my bid, but it is the best description.  I can tolerate partner's suit and I want to make a constructive move.  This satisfies those desires without going crazy."  Irina Levitina thinks that "Even if it is not forcing, it still must be constructive."  Similarly, Hoki says "forward-going but non-forcing constructive in standard is fine"  Carl Hudecek: "The downside to two diamonds is that part may lead diamonds if West buys the contract, but I'm willing to take that risk.  This hand is too strong to pass partner's two-level overcall."  Doub and Wildavsky: "Not forcing, but nothing compels partner to pass."  Kevin Bathurst is "Resisting the temptations to treat my four strong spades as though I had five and to bid two notrump to protect the doubleton queen, but I may be able to do that later."  Masse24 makes a prediction:  "Unanimous?"  Todd, you were close, but there was even a dissenter among the IAC.

2 NT   50   BWP 15%   BWS 9% IAC No solvers
Except for one missing element, this would have been my choice.  With more than the constructive values of a new suit and stoppers in both unbid suits, this bid seems ideal until you get to a stopper in the opponent's suit.  Even there, you have a partial stop with Qx, and even the best location for that partial stopper if you bid the notrump first, but I would not like to be in a notrump contract with Qx opposite air.  Eric Kokish writes: "This hand suggests suit play, but two diamonds and two spades are length-short and high-card heavy.  If the heart queen is worth something it's in notrump.  We can get out of notrump if that looks better to North."  I'm afraid that once you have promised a heart stop, partner will take you at your word.  I agree with Jeff Alexander: "If we belong in notrump, I should declare.  I don't see how cue-bidding two hearts would help."  But I am not raising my hand without encouragement from partner, unlike Zia, who wants to "Grab it while it's hot."

This ends Part 1 of this month's summary.  Despite two very concentrated votes, I found some of the minority selections particularly intriguing.  I hope you found something of interest as well.  Once you finish, think about going to the current month's problem set.  Who knows, maybe we will see Ken Berg triumphant return, or Curls  (who we haven't seen since she has turned into a Yellow) participate.  Anyway, any and all who do participate are welcome; the more the merrier.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2023, 12:21:10 PM by jcreech »