Author Topic: 2023 MAY MSC  (Read 4957 times)

Masse24

• View Profile
2023 MAY MSC
« on: March 02, 2023, 11:01:13 PM »
MAY 2023 MSC
Deadline: MARCH 31 at 11:59 p.m. (ET)

Submit your MAY MSC responses here: The Bridge World - MASTER SOLVERS CLUB

BWS 2017 System: BWS 2017
BWS 2017 POLLS, CHANGES AND ADDITIONS: BWS 2017 - Polls, Changes, and Additions
  • Bridge World Standard 2017 (BWS or BWS2017) is effective beginning with the January 2017 Master Solvers' Club problems. This page shows (1) the results of the panelist polls that were used to adjust the system; and (2) the changes in and the additions to Bridge World Standard 2001 (BWS2001) that were made.
    In the listings of the questions and answers, an asterisk indicates the BWS2001 agreement; the proportion of the expert votes for each item, rounded to the nearest percent, is shown in brackets.

IAC Forum MSC Scores

If you post to The Bridge World you will receive a confirmation immediately and by email. It is preferred that you copy/paste that confirmation as it is easy to read due to the formatting. (Thanks!)

Also, if you post to The Bridge World those will be your official bids. If you make a mistake (try not to as it has happened), you will have to live with it.

“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

blubayou

• IACAdmins
  • lifelong director [1977-2010] and haunter of ACBL
    • View Profile
Re: 2023 MAY MSC
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2023, 11:43:47 PM »
A bunch of this month's problems do not pass  Jim / Todd's criterion for being "good MSC problems" -- ie: having THREE PLAUSABLE ANSWERS [or 4 or 5].  Starting with ......
PROBLEM A:>>  Binary choice!  -- Follow the LAW, and reraise or don't do so and let 2 !S ride and likely buy it.  Right now, count me IN:                                          ---Three Hearts---

PROBLEM B:>> A favorite quote i heard long ago goes "If your weak jump raises don't terrify you a bit,  you're not doing them right."  If you combine the votes for "pass', 2 !H  and 4 !H  together, the panel should still be at 21-6  or something in favor of the jump-raise:                                                       ---Three Hearts---

PROBLEM C:>>  If we were not a passed hand, any number of spades from 3 to 6 --  plus 3 or 4  Diamonds would be in the running, but it would be presumptuous to imagine that the opps have a club or heart slam when partner jumps in 3rd seat.  Let's give what I hope is taken as a fit-jump and be glad we don't have a follow-up about what to bid on round 3.
                                                        ---Four Diamonds---

PROBLEM D:>>  I think it's partner's job to bail out here if necessary--not mine. Anyway, I hope 3H isn't the total garden spot.                                                       --- Three Notrump---

PROBLEM E:>>  TEN  LTC "LOOSERS"? Surely it is time to trot out the "cheating raise"---via semiforcing 1NT + plus heart preference.  Obviously BWS doesn't use constructive raises or this would be a quizz with exactly ONE answer
                                                  ---One NOTRUMP---

PROBLEM F:>> Maybe MAYBE I could raise one SPADE to two, but  not one heart.
                                                     ---One Notrump---

PROBLEM G:>> The die has been cast! If we aren't reversing after partner's normal response, we shouldn't have opened one club.                      ---Two Diamonds--- err  "C4"---

PROBLEM H:>>
« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 10:18:50 AM by blubayou »
often it is better to beg forgiveness, than ask permission

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2023, 03:30:33 PM »
Here are my initial thoughts:

Problem A:  3 !H  I don't know where Jock gets off thinking there are only two options, I can see two cue-bids available for the aggressive, in addition to the two he identified.  Would I choose one of the cue-bids?  Probably not.  Are they unreasonable?  No.  You only need nine HCPs from partner to have a reasonable shot at the heart game (less with the unlikely singleton or void in diamonds).  Nonetheless, I find solice in the LAW.  Pass is too weak and the cue-bid too strong, while 3 !H is just right.

Problem B:  3 !H  The LAW guides me again.  Let's get to our proper level as quickly as possible.  This may result in the opponents continuing to imprudently bidding spades, but it will also make it more difficult for the opponents to find an alternative strain.

Problem C:  4 !S  I typically like to blast to the level I want to be at immediately.  I may come to regret not bidding to the implied level of the LAW, but the 5-level is frequently daunting.  I will gamble that game will suffice.

Problem D:  Pass.  Partner's bidding typically shows a weak hand with long hearts and no fit for my diamonds.  Time to quit trying for better.

Problem E:  2 !H  The semi-forcing 1 NT is my bugaboo with this hand.  Although I am not distraught to play in NT with this hand, I'd much rather be in the 8-card heart fit and leave partner's hand hidden.  I raise; support with support.

Problem F:  1 NT  I am torn between 1 NT, raise partner and pass.  I am minimum opposite a passed hand, but I also have a maximum, full-values for my minimum.  I do not want to encourage the opponents to enter the fray with the pass, and I don't want to encourage partner too much with a raise (particularly if he only has four), so I split the difference with the very descriptive 1 NT.

Problem G:  c4 (open 1 !C, then reverse into 2 !D)  I see no reason to distort my shape.  I wish I had some better spot-cards, but this hand has primes, so I am willing to reverse on this 16.

Problem H:  ?  Pulling a Jock here - Still trying to work this one out.  A spade may pickle partner's holding and thereby the entire suit.  A heart doesn't feel like it will help, being the suit of a hand that doubled and bid, though declarer doesn't seem to have a fit.  Diamonds are my best holding, but they may not be well placed for a lead with the NT bidder on my right; I probably should wait on the suit.  And declarer should definitely have some clubs, and despite my opening bid, I do not.  I'm beginning to think that Hideous Hog's lead advice to Rueful Rabbit may be best - 7th from either the right or left.  I hate to say this, but my strongest inclination right now is to lead the !D Q, like last month, hoping to hit Jxxxx with partner.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 11:40:52 AM by jcreech »
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

blubayou

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2023, 08:18:00 AM »
I hate to say it too, Jim!  (and that 98xx spade suit sort-a echos the 98xxx from February that won the 100 ?!)  but April was IMPS and this one is MP, which is why my early guess list still has holes in it.

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2023, 01:42:27 PM »
I usually hate lead problems.

My choices are often just a gut feeling, or even a guess, or best of bad choices. Rarely, a suit and card is indicated. Like here.

That !D Q, though scary, is screaming, "lead me!" We need something from partner and length to the Jack in diamonds seems our best bet.

Something must be wrong because I liked this problem. Uh oh!
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2023, 03:27:09 AM »
MAY GUESSES

SOLUTIONS FOR:
Todd Holes

PROBLEM A: 3 Hearts
PROBLEM B: 3 Hearts
PROBLEM C: 4 Diamonds
PROBLEM D: Pass
PROBLEM E: 1 Notrump
PROBLEM F: 1 Notrump
PROBLEM G: (c4)
PROBLEM H: Diamond Queen

Problem A: 3 Hearts.
Jam their auction. Unanimous?

Problem B: 3 Hearts.
I was all over the place on this one. Considered 2 !H and 4 !H too. But 4 !H was too hot. And 2 !H was too cold. 3 !H was juuuuust right.

Problem C: 4 Diamonds.
Over a bid by responder, a jump, below-game, new-suit advance is a fit-jump.” Should aid partner if a 5-level decision must be made.

Problem D: Pass.
The law of Holes applies here. “If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging."

Problem E: 1NT.
Follows system (Constructive raises). The four-card spade suit is a red herring. The thing that concerns me is that two or three 1 !S responses will dilute the 1NT responses. I’m also concerned that a handful of panelists will eschew the system in favor of the preemptive value of 2 !H.

Problem F: 1NT.
Why didn’t I open 1NT?

Problem G: C4.
The ugly reverse. Also strongly considered the “if I can only get past this round” 1 !S. But the point shy reverse is the lesser lie. It also has the advantage of being more likely to get us to the right strain.

Problem H: Diamond Q.
Hoping for length and a Jack from partner.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 03:29:34 AM by Masse24 »

bAbsG

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2023, 04:44:50 PM »
SOLUTIONS FOR:
Babs Giesbrecht

PROBLEM E: 2 Hearts
PROBLEM F: 2 Hearts
PROBLEM H: Spade 2

yleexotee

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2023, 04:56:14 PM »
Haven't pulled the trigger yet, but surely later today:
3h
3h
4S - wondering a bit about system, and Todd makes an argument for the fit jump. but over a weak overcall? I like 4S as the simple answer, but what will I do over 5c??
Problem D - I am likely wrong here, but I don't think 2h is passable. X and then a new suit. if p and I are misfit, they should have passed 2d. They must have X to show hearts, but have a bigger hand with at least 5+ hearts after all. I feel like I have system questions all over this month. I am considering 2nt and 3nt straight out.  (but then again, 2h straight out should be forcing for at least one round, so why choose the X route)
1nt - hopefully folks stick with system and use constructive raises. I'm sure jack is shivering over this answer
1nt - again hopefully this  is system right. assuming no spiral raises are here, but sure would like them for this hand.
C4
Problem H. I think declarer has an inferior suit in spades, but had to respond 1s. doubler has 1 or something. so, I"m starting our suit with 9 of spades.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 04:58:52 PM by yleexotee »

blubayou

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2023, 12:52:02 AM »
Problem D -->   Joe finally opened the can of worms that is problem D!  Partner is just short of a free 2H response or within that realm of point-count but noth 'heartsy" enough to like  the 2 over one.   If he will be content with this trump support  I will be very shocked. ......
« Last Edit: March 31, 2023, 03:56:04 AM by blubayou »

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2023, 11:38:40 AM »

Problem D - I am likely wrong here, but I don't think 2h is passable. X and then a new suit. if p and I are misfit, they should have passed 2d. They must have X to show hearts, but have a bigger hand with at least 5+ hearts after all. I feel like I have system questions all over this month. I am considering 2nt and 3nt straight out.  (but then again, 2h straight out should be forcing for at least one round, so why choose the X route)

I may have knee-jerked a bit here.  Unless I am playing negative free-bids, a negative double followed by a new suit typically shows a long suit with less than a game-forcing hand.  I did not put it into the context of imps and that with a misfit, partner should have bailed first.  Nonetheless, what is partner doing?  Despite Joe's declaration that "...I don't think 2h is passable," I still think it is, or partner would have chosen a different route to describe his hand.  2 !H may be invitational, it may be descriptive, but it is definitely unclear within partnership understandings.  I am now asking myself if I should take another bid, and if so, which one.

ccr3

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2023, 12:37:10 PM »
​Your Solutions for the May 2023 Contest
-------------------
PROBLEM E: 1 Notrump

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2023, 01:18:45 PM »

I may have knee-jerked a bit here.  Unless I am playing negative free-bids, a negative double followed by a new suit typically shows a long suit with less than a game-forcing hand.  I did not put it into the context of imps and that with a misfit, partner should have bailed first.  Nonetheless, what is partner doing?  Despite Joe's declaration that "...I don't think 2h is passable," I still think it is, or partner would have chosen a different route to describe his hand.  2 !H may be invitational, it may be descriptive, but it is definitely unclear within partnership understandings.  I am now asking myself if I should take another bid, and if so, which one.

I picture something like: !S xxx -- !H AKT985 -- !D - -- !C xxxx

Passable? Yes.
"I did not put it into the context of imps and that with a misfit, partner should have bailed first." Partner knows this, yet he still bid. So his 2 !H now is an attempt to improve the contract under the assumption that 2 !D would be worse. Hence my guess at responder's hand above. A diamond void or a stiff at best.

At least that's how I look at it.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2023, 01:31:13 PM by Masse24 »

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2023, 02:33:10 PM »
SOLUTIONS FOR:
James Creech

FREDERICKSBURG VA 22407
U.S.A.

PROBLEM C: 4 Spades
PROBLEM E: 1 Notrump  only change:  Without a ruffing value, I don't see a good reason to raise the hearts directly.  With crappy spades, I will not bid 1 !S; I don't want to encourage partner to re-evaluate any spade holding.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2023, 04:47:19 PM by jcreech »

blubayou

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2023, 03:09:32 PM »
SOLUTIONS FOR :Jock McQuade3 bag endHobbiton OR 97030U.S.A
.PROBLEM A: 3 Hearts
PROBLEM D: 3NT?? THIRD MONTH IN A ROW I HAVE MISREAD THE PROBLEM IN SOME WAY (thinking somehow er were already at the 3-level :( :( )
pPROBLEM G: (c4)
PROBLEM H: Diamond Quee
nA copy of these so
« Last Edit: April 22, 2023, 09:29:59 PM by blubayou »

veredk

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2023, 08:40:32 PM »