Author Topic: 2023 APRIL MSC  (Read 4247 times)

ccr3

• View Profile
Re: 2023 APRIL MSC
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2023, 12:08:43 AM »
A: 3 D: to ward off NT noting the singleton spade and three small hearts.
B: 3 C: Showing support. Choice of two suits.
C: 1NT: perfectly describes values and can tolerate the heart lead.
D: 2S: Reluctantly. Toiled over this one. Could be right just as well as in deep trouble.
E: 2C: Showing length in view of the heart void.
F: 1S: Avoiding 2 C with 2 suits. Looks like a great hand but only 16 points.
          Lots of points around the table. I'll get another chance to bid.
G: 3H: How convenient. Cue bid next suit up the line with this 2 suiter. Slam possible.
H: S2: Again. Just takes one trick to set. Could it be in my hand? I'll stay passive.

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2023, 12:52:51 AM »
Strain before game; game before slam.

I fear I may have been hasty on Problem "G." Is it too late to switch to 3 !S? That 3 !S cannot be natural. Presumably it "shows a problem" in spades but keeps 3NT open as a resting place. 3 !H however, could be construed as a doubleton Hx. Would partner be willing to bail in a 5-2 heart fit? Maybe. 

It was my second choice when I made the pick, thinking it slightly Zia-esque, but now I think it's quite normal. Who knows, maybe the panel will save me.  :-[
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

blubayou

• IACAdmins
  • lifelong director [1977-2010] and haunter of ACBL
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2023, 01:50:35 AM »
SOLVER: Jock McQuade        3 Bag End         Hobbiton OR 97030        U.S.A.
Your Solutions for the April 2023 Contest -------------------

-------------------PROBLEM A: 3 Notrump
PROBLEM B: 3 Clubs
PROBLEM C: Double
PROBLEM D: 2 Spades
PROBLEM E: 2 Clubs
PROBLEM F: 1 Spade
PROBLEM G: 3 Hearts
PROBLEM H: Heart 6
Thank you for participating in the Master Solvers Club
« Last Edit: March 01, 2023, 01:57:12 AM by blubayou »
often it is better to beg forgiveness, than ask permission

yleexotee

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2023, 03:42:26 AM »
PROBLEM A: 3 Diamonds - considered pass in hopes that diamonds will run, but why not just make them trump in a partial
PROBLEM B: 3 Clubs -
PROBLEM C: 1 Notrump- seems normal
PROBLEM D: 2 Spades - not passing up a hint, plus its what I would really do at the table
PROBLEM E: 2 Clubs- showing the crummy clubs again but at least there are 6 of them
PROBLEM F: 1 Club - flipped a coin on this. the OLD school is a 1c bid, but the new school is 1s bid, but maybe this is the kind of hand that made old school right.
PROBLEM G: 3 Hearts - flipping coins on this one too. I really thought about 4h. but 3h has to be ok too as control showing, I already did not show three hearts I think, but not supporting after the 2s bid. 3s is tempting too, but I couldn't talk myself into that one being a panel bid.
PROBLEM H: Spade 10- comforted that several others chose this lead.

wackojack

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2023, 04:58:51 PM »
SOLUTIONS FOR:
Jack Goody

Guildford
England

PROBLEM A: 3 Diamonds  Reckon just good enough to bid 3N at imps.  However, at MP just 3D
PROBLEM B: 3 Spades      That tells partner game interest
PROBLEM C: 1 Notrump    That is what I have
PROBLEM D: 2 Spades      No other bid       
PROBLEM E: 2 Clubs         Considered 2N and rejected it. 
PROBLEM F: 1 Spade        It will not be passed out
PROBLEM G: 3 Hearts       Control agreeing diamonds.  It cannot be natural support
PROBLEM H: Spade 10      Looks like it gives away least

ccr3

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2023, 08:01:06 PM »
SOLVER: Patricia McDermott
        8015 Buford Commons
        N Chesterfield VA 23235
        U.S.A.

Your Solutions for the April 2023 Contest
-------------------
PROBLEM A: 3 Diamonds
PROBLEM B: 3 Clubs
PROBLEM C: 1 Notrump
PROBLEM D: 2 Spades
PROBLEM E: 2 Clubs
PROBLEM F: 1 Spade
PROBLEM G: 3 Hearts
PROBLEM H: Spade 10

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2023, 08:11:37 PM »
April Results

CCR3 led the IAC solvers with 760!  Yleexotee and BluBayou were tied at 750. The Bridge World honor roll this month required a minimum of 750. A high scoring month.

NAMEBW-SCORE
CCR3     760   
BluBayou     750 
YleeXotee     750   

Also participating this month were:  JCreech, Masse24, DickHy, BabsG, Hoki, VeeRee, VeredK, WackoJack.

Congratulations to all!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2023, 01:26:31 AM by jcreech »
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2023, 01:28:31 AM »
Generally, Todd feels good if he receives 700 or more on a monthly problem set.  This month, 8 or the 11 participants exceeded 700.  Congrats!
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

blubayou

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2023, 11:19:26 PM »
I blush to admit I lucked into 2nd/third  by misreading  Problem A!   portions of HOURS I spent simulating an auction of "1 !D , [pass], 2NT,   etcetera - never once noticing the spade overcall.  Given that an opponent did find a competing bid, I am really suprized that 17 solvers joined me in choosing to raise Notrump!

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2023, 12:38:30 AM »
April MSC SUMMARY (Part 1)– Kit Woolsey, Director

Problem A  3 NT (BluBayou)

Matchpoints  Neither side vulnerable
You, South, hold:

♠ Q    6 5 3    A K 9 8 7 3   ♣ K 10 9

SOUTH   WEST   NORTH   EAST
  1        1 ♠       2 NT*     Pass
  ?†         
*BWS: natural; invitational; nonforcing
†BWS: 3 ♣ nonforcing. 3 nonforcing by partnership agreement.

What call do you make?

You have opened, LHO overcalled and partner made an invitational NT call.  Your values are on the low end of an opening bid, but you do have a singleton queen in the opponent's suit to help bolster partner's stopper, and you have a nice six-bagger, but unless partner has help for your suit, it is unlikely to run without giving up the lead.  Do you accept the invitation, and if not, you have some non-forcing options. The last consideration is that this is matchpoints, where a plus can be worth more than being in a risky game.

Pass   70   Bridge World Panel (BWP) 14%   Bridge World solvers (BWS) 17%  Intermediate-Advanced Club 1 solver
Certainly the quickest way to turn down an invitation is to pass.  If the NT partial makes, it will score better than diamonds, but it clearly gives up on the game bonus.  Eric Stoltz votes strain over level: "Playing in exactly two notrump is rarely right at imps, but at matchpoints being in the most-productive strain often pays big dividends.  There is no need to press for a close game if you are in the winning strain."  Jeff Rubens agrees: "If we can make three notrump, it might not be necessary to bid it to obtain a good score; and we might be able to make only eight tricks at notrump."  Finn Kolesnik indicates that "Passing is a sensible option ... given matchpoint scoring and the possibility of being set many tricks in three notrump.  At matchpoints, I wouldn't consider playing in diamonds with a source of tricks such as the one I have." 

3    80   BWP 25%   BwS 50%  IAC 82%
Bidding one of the two hints drew a majority of the solvers.  Although it does not give up on the game bonus, there is a question on whether partner will take the bid as constructive, looking for some diamond help to try being in game.  Larry Robbins argues: "Even with a double spade-stopper, we may fare best in three diamonds.  Partner will usually pass, but with a perfect minimum, say:  ♠ AJxx    xxx    Qx   ♣ Axxx, North  may trot out three notrump.  Yes, it is matchpoints, but three diamonds is more likely to produce a plus score."  SImilarly, JCreech thinks "The !S Q makes it tempting to bid 3 NT, but I am worried about where the tricks may come from.  With fitting diamonds, partner can retry for 3 NT by bidding hearts, spades or NT."  DickHy: "Partner has 11/12 (1N would have been 6-10) and something like Axxx KJx xx QJxx.  Where do we want to be?  If partner has the spade T or 9, 3N might be decent, as he can win the opening spade trick x-Q-K-A knowing that West can’t run the suit.  Without a good spade spot, West, after winning the opening spade lead with the K can carry on with the suit (if he has an outside entry) or can switch … to a heart across partner’s holding.  That looks gloomy.  At least if it comes down to a heart guess, partner is more likely to get it right than I am.  At matchpoints is choosing a fairly certain part-score better than opting for a fraught game?  I hope you wizards will tell me.  Meanwhile, I can chew over whether it’s better to pass 2N or play 3 !D in a 6-2 fit. "  Some have serious concerns about playing in NT.  Karen McCallum feels that "Usually three notrump will have no hope, and matchpoints is about frequency.  Passing is out of the question.  Reaching two notrump with a six-card minor is dancing on the head of a pin."  CCR3 wants "to ward off NT noting the singleton spade and three small hearts."  Daniel Korbel writes: "At imps, a blind raise to three notrump; but notrump could be in danger in hearts or spades, so it is not a good matchpoint risk."  Danny Kleinman is "Taking our (likely) plus score.  The values are meager, and we're not sure how good our spade queen will prove to be.  There's also the considerable possibility of a heart attack once lefty gets in."  Carl Hudecek: "I don't consider that an opening bid, since the suit is a minor.  Partner has spade values.  We are short of HCP for three notrump, possibly with as few as 23.  Partner can move on with an in-context perfecto such as:  ♠ KJx    K10x xxxx   ♣ Axx."  YleeXotee "considered pass in hopes that diamonds will run, but why not just make them trump in a partial"  WackoJack "Reckon just good enough to bid 3N at imps.  However, at MP just 3D"  Masse24 "My Hamman-o-meter dinged once, then stopped. Although the panel is aggressive, I don't feel it's quite worth the 3NT gamble."  Hoki choice is based on being "... consistent with my philosophy that bridge is bridge and poker is poker"  Blubayou guesses the Panel will choose differently than his choice:  "So, the two horse race was a battle between correcting to diamonds and RAISING notrump!  So far this is a tight battle.  The panel  will go for the game bonus, counting on 3NT being cold  or sneaking home by a less than double-dummy  opening lead" 

3 NT   100   BWP 57%   BWS 1%  IAC 1 solver
Jock correcly predicted that the majority of Panelists would turn to Hamman's rule, and bid the NT game; they were reluctant to name names.  Brian Glubok said "No need to invoke Hamman's Law; just bid three notrump and collect the game bonus."  Sami Kehela: "BWS: Trying for game by partnership agreement."  Fred Stewart: "I anticipate two spade tricks, and we don't need a heck of a lot for nine."  John Carruthers: "I have two more tricks than I might have had and a bolstering spade queen - plus my natural optimism."  Mark Cohen disagrees with Hudecek's valuation: "This holding is a lot better than 12 HCP with no special source of tricks."  As does David Berkowitz: "The spade queen is a full value in notrump."  Eric Kokish: "Even at matchpoints, and even though there are lots of ways for three notrump to fail when the spade queen is working.  Prime values and a trick source are too attractive to sign off."  Bart Bramley thinks "We could have nine runners after a spade lead."  Phillip Alder points out that there is "No way to invite game."  Zach Grossack is "Happy to bid game with a clear source of tricks and a potentially-quite-helpful queen of spades."  John Diamond feels "The good six-card suit is sufficient to try this."  Nik Demirev summarizes the choice well: "At matchpoints, partner would be careful not to overbid, so it is easy to visualize a lot of North hands with a double spade stopper or providing nine fast tricks after we get the lead."

Problem B  3 !C (CCR3, BluBayou, YleeXotee, Masse24)

Imps  Neither side vulnerable
You, South, hold:

♠ —    A J 5    10 9 7 6 4 2   ♣ A K 9 8

——      Pass      Pass      1 ♣
  1        1 ♠        2 ♣*       2 ♠†
   ?         
*BWS: as if West had passed (2 ♠ would have
been a strong diamond raise)
†four spades

What call do you make?

East opened 1 !C in third seat and you overcalled with a 10-sixth suit, but 12 nice points in your shorter suits plus a void in spades.  West now bid 1 !S, while partner cue-bid clubs and East raised the spades.  The implication of the cue-bid is that it shows a fit for your diamonds, but for some reason, the hint only talks about what a spade bid would have shown, had West had not already bid the suit.  I prefer to think in terms of there being two suits that can be used as cue-bids; clubs being cheaper and spades as more expensive (those characterizations should apply to both North and South, but what are their implications?  Do they convey differing levels of strength, or do they show stoppers, and is any of this affected by North being a passed hand?

3    50   BWP 1 Panelist   BWS 16% IAC No solvers
Since 2 !C promises support, and you hold six, perhaps it is worth a 1-2-3-stop-like auction.  Fred Stewart "Three clubs might lead to an ugly three notrump.  A pass would be nonforcing."  And you think 3 !D is forcing?  At least 3 !C would help partner understand that there is a double fit.

5    70   BWP 11%   BWS 8% IAC 27%
Working from similar logic, DickHy writes "According to BWS [C(b)] a passed hand cue-bid guarantees a fit.  I guess in this auction 2 !D could show a fit but a weak hand, 2 !C a decent raise (6-9) and 2 !S (10/11) a good one.  Partner looks to have 4 spades.  With nice spades and Qxx in diamonds, say, he might have bid 1N.  Ergo (these Italian drugs are graaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate), he has paltry spades and Axxx in diamonds. Carpe diem!"  John Diamond says, "Might as well bid it immediately."  JCreech: "Not sure what 2 !C means.  As a passed hand, I think it is showing a good passed hand with a fit.  I'm not sure who can make what, but I don't want to guess when the opponents bid 4 !S, but I think I will get a plus if they bid 5 !S."  Larry Robbins has other concerns: "I won't pass three notrump.  We could have a slam, but it will be difficult to bid, even if I cue-bid (which might help the opponents find a sacrifice)."

3 ♠   60   BWP 7%   BWS 10% IAC 27%
Some cue-bid.  Nik Demirev considers how the auction will proceed:  "Followed by a control-bid, depending on the auction.  Four-card support will make five diamonds a decent contract, and slam, even a grand slam, is possible.  Stopping short of five diamonds is not ideal at imps, even though that contrct may fail."  WackoJack feels "That tells partner game interest"  While John Carruthers says "I'm up for whatever North intends."

4 ♠   70   BWP 11%   BWS 4% IAC No solvers
Although a cue-bid uses a lot of space, a jump-cue eats twice as much, but is quite descriptive.  As Karen McCallum puts it: "For a slam-try opposite a passed hand, partner should expect a spade void and aces."  Eric Kokish: "Our maximum might be a high partial, but it's far more likely to be a slam."  Phillip Alder says "I will be happy to play in five diamonds, and we might will have a slam."

3 ♣   100   BWP 61%   BWS 44% IAC 36%
A majority of the Panel and a plurality of the solvers cose to use the cheaper available cue-bid:  3 !CBluBayou "The hint sent me running to the OKB system notes!   IT made me think that both cuebids show "strong diamond raises", which is odd.  But no.  Turns out that 2 !C  has two legs.  It can be the usual invite+ in diamonds, but also a really strong hand  (in context)  coming in a different suit.   With that possibility in mind,  I see no haarm in bidding my club suit, in case partner has a 1H opener which will be lovely,  or even a club-heart two-suiter--even lovelier.  I really expect we are headed for 4 or 5 hearts or 5 clubs."  Jock, where are we headed here?  Masse24 says "Game try. Who knows which game."  Some think the bid shows clubs.  Mark Cohen: "Most flexible opposite a passed hand; encouraging with club values.  I will not pass three notrump."  Danny Kleinman: "Bidding 'em where they is.  If the opponents buy the contrct in spades, I can hope that partner will lead clubs."  Daniel Korbel: "If partner can hold four diamonds, we could have a slam.  May as well show my second suit on the way to five diamonds." Well, I guess it could; often when you have a choice of two cue-bids, the one bid is often a "tell" rather than an "ask."  Robert Wolff describes the bid as a "General forward-going action.  The hand may be worth only three diamonds, but I plan to drive higher."  Jeff Rubens:  "The diamonds are too weak to drive to five diamonds, so I will consult partner."  Finn Kolesnik: "Three notrump or five diamonds might have good play; this keeps both in the picture.  I will pass if North bids three diamonds or compete to four diamonds if the opponents bid three spades."  Steve Robinson: "With plenty of defense against spades, there is no need to jump to five diamonds.  Partner will know that I am short in spades; he will be aggressive with strong diamonds."  Zach Grossack: "I will force to some game but will need convincing that it should not to be in diamonds.  The poor quality of the suit makes the hand oriented for a suit contract, and a slam is possible.  For now, I show a concentration in clubs."  Rozanne and Bill Pollack: "If partner has four diamonds (very likely but not certain), we have quite the duke.  Will try to be somewhat descriptive, but it will not be surprising if it's four spades or eight spades by the time the auction comes back."  Nonetheless, David Berkowitz warns that the auction may not be over for the opponents:  "Must anticipate more spade bidding.  Not interested in notrump, but this is a mighty nice hand if partner has strong diamonds."

Problem C  1 NT (DickHy, Hoki, CCR3, Masse24, JCreech, BabsG, WackoJack, YleeXotee, VeeRee, VeredK)

You, South, hold:

♠ A K J 4    A Q    K J 3 2   ♣ J 6 5

1        Pass       Pass      1
   ?         
What call do you make?

This hand is very much like Problem D from last month; the differences being when the overcall occurs in the auction and which seat is balancing. This time, you opened 1 !D which was passed to East, who balanced 1 !H.   The concern about right-siding the contract with respect to hearts is essentially gone; your AQ is sitting over the heart bidder.  Nonetheless, partner still has few points, as he did not respond to your opening bid.  And the Panel splits on this hand considerably differently; last month, nearly the whole Panel went with the 1NT rebid, none doubled, and we solvers were stunned to see 1 !S as the primary alternative to 1NT; this time, those same three options are more evenly split.

1 NT   100   BWP 39%   BWS 60% IAC 91%
A majority of the solvers return to the tried-and-true, as well as a plurality of the Panel.  DickHy said:  "At the table I’d bang this out with nary a second thought. "  Masse24: "A bit of a tease? So similar to last week's "WTP unanimous?" problem. But it's different."  JCreech: "The right values and right-siding the hand still outweigh bidding or asking partner to bid the spades"  CCR3: "perfectly describes values and can tolerate the heart lead."  YleeXotee: "seems normal"  Wackojack: "That is what I have"  Larry Robbins: "Where we want to land opposite a flat hand, such as 3=4=3=3, where North might bid two diamonds if I doubled.  One spade should be more distributional.  One notrump loses the club suit but is the contract most likely to make."  Eric Kokish: "An opportunity to offer a clear description should not be discarded in favor of a safer double at this vulnerability.  We could buy 2 or 3 HCP and be in the best contract."  Daniel Korbel: "Sure, double could work out better, but when I am supposed to bid one notrump, it's very important to do so (e.g., opposite a balanced hand with scattered bits, where I'd rather not watch partner struggle in two clubs)."  Finn Kolesnik: "Double is possible, but the holding doesn't look suit-oriented.  One notrump might suffer extra undertricks, but nonvulnerable at imps this is not scary."  Phillip Alder: "Double will do well when North has four spades, but I will not feel happy if partner bids two clubs, even though that might be the best spot."  Zia: "Mild danger.  Greater temptation."

1 ♠   80   BWP 25%   BWS 9% IAC  No solvers
1 !S was a solver surprise last month; this month, not such a surprise and more popular with both the Panel and solvers than last month.  What's the attraction?  Bart Bramley thinks "A suit should be safer than notrump, and spades is my best suit.  With 2=4=2=5, partner might try clubs on the way to two diamonds.  If I doubled, partner might pick diamonds with three than spades with a weak four."  John Carruthers is "Hoping for a trick or two more than in notrump."  Nik  Demirev: "Introducing spades may help us compete if the opponents bid more hearts."  Carl Hudecek: "Partner can't hold that much, so I compete quietly."  Jeff Rubens: "Any positive action risks reaching the wrong strain, but this stays low and is a likely plus."  which leads us to Danny Kleinman's rule: "What I should have bid last turn.  I've seen too many balanced nineteeners get passed in one of a minor when opening in a strong four-card major would have found a fit (perhaps even a raise and a game).  Rule of 19:  With a balanced 19-or-so high-card points, open in a strong four-card major if you have one."

Double   90   BWP 36%   BWS 28% IAC 1 solver
Last month, it was like the Panel did not know that a takeout double existed; this month, it is very nearly the top choice.  Brian Glubok is very confident that double will be the Panel's choice:  "No comment will be helpful, because double will inevitably prove the unanimous choice."  Fred Stewart thinks "A notrump bid would be fraught with risk, as there is no source of tricks."  Zach Grossack: "No reason to bid one notrump when our goal is to compete effectively."  John Diamond believes double is "Best for reaching the right strain."  Concern about the spade suit is still paramount for some of the Panel.  Karen McCallum sees "No point in bidding one spade; partner won't be on lead.  If North has long clubs, I want him to feel free to bid the suit.  One notrump is more descriptive, but partner won't care, so why wrn the opponents to stay low or help them with the play?"  Eric Stoltz: "One notrump would not bring spades into the picture; bidding one spade would misdescribe diamonds; double better shows all-around values."  Rozanne and Bill Pollack is in "No rush for notrump, and we can't afford to lose a spade fit.  We reject one spade with a flat hand and lots of extras.  We need a sign of life opposite to make a game."  Steve Robinson "I want to bring spades into the picture.  If I were to bid one notrump, partner would pass with four spades.  Opposite a weak hand, we'll do better in a trump suit, even if only a seven-card fit.  I'd bid one spade if I had only two clubs."  BluBayou has his own special take on this: "They're having a little joke here-- this is last month's  problem D with the heart noise coming from righty instead of lefty!  March problem D had a stunning 25 votes to  become declarer.  Will a majority be sucked in by the heart  AQ even though  "right-siding" is not an issue anymore? It depends on whether or not after doubling, we are willing to lie down for partner's runout to 2 of either minor.   It is IMPS,  so I am OK with being dummy  to 2 clubs or playing 2  diamonds"

This ends Part 1 of the summary.  I hope you found something interesting or useful in it.  Todd has opened up the discussion for next month's problems.  Please start thinking about your answers and contribute.

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2023, 02:24:02 AM »
April MSC SUMMARY (Part 2)– Kit Woolsey, Director

Problem D  2 !S  (Veredk, VeeRee, CCR3, BluBayou, YleeXotee, WackoJack, BabsG)

Imps  North-South vulnerable
You, South, hold:

♠ 2    A 9 8 5 2    A 6 4 3 2   ♣ A 4

——      ——      Pass      1 ♠
   ?*         
*BWS: 2 ♠ = hearts and a minor; any biddable strength

What call do you make?

The opponents have opened, you are red and they are not, and you have a two-suiter with 12 HCPs all in aces and spaces.  And by-the-way, the opponents bid spades, which raises the level automatically if you decide to act.  Bridge is fun, right?

Pass   60   BWP 11%   BWS 12% IAC 1 solver
The easiest action is inaction.  Despite substantil distribution, the spot cards are largely horrible.  So you can pass to say this hand is not worth taking direct action.  Besides, maybe the opponents will also bid clubs, to make finding a fit easier.  Danny Kleinman point to "Thin suits and adverse vulnerability induce me to pass, but if I could unambiguously show hearts and diamonds (say with a cue-bid), I would.  Mark Cohen: "I hope to be able to compete later.  A cue-bid would commit you to the three-level opposite a passed North hand.  After two hearts - (pass) - pass - (double), I'd feel nauseous."  DickHy thinks "At best this is a 20/20 hand and I love my partner.  I’m not gonna dump him at the 3-level in a (ropey) 5 – 3 (probably 2 knowing my luck) fit with an emaciated hand.  Especially when red v white.  Besides, I don’t know how the spades are distributed yet."

Double   70   BWP 14%   BWS 8% IAC 27%
To compete at a lower level, you could double and hope that partner does not bid clubs.  John Diamond is willing: "Only if we are unlucky enough to land in a four-two club fit does this rate to work out very poorly."  Rozanne and Bill Pollack think "Two spades could produce a phone number.  We chickens say its not worth the risk.  Two hearts would be easier to nail.  Double hides the fifth heart (although we sort of have only four), but it keeps us at a lower level, and safety is paramount here."  Hoki "and pass 2♣ which I doubt will be left in (but can bid 2♦ if doubled?)"  Finn Kolesnik: "At unfavorable vulnerability with a weak suit, overcalling two hearts is very unattractive.  Two spades requires slightly better suits.  Double is least descriptive but safer and more flexible.  I won't cry if partner bids clubs; and when we have no big fit, the opponents will probably out-compete us."  Masse24 feels the bid is "A bit out there but it's flexible. I have the values, but that's all. And I'm only short one club. We're vulnerable and overcalling at the two level on an Ace-empty suit is not my choice. Same with pushing us to the three-level with nothing but shape."  Larry Robbins says "The long suits are a bit anemic for a vulnerable cue-bid.  Two hearts should be based on a six or a strong five."  JCreech "This vulnerability scares me to force us to the three-level.  I hope partner will treat this as an equal-level conversion if I pull clubs to diamonds."

2    80   BWP 25%   BWS 12% IAC No solvers
It seems like the best reason to overcall is that it is a safer action. As Fred Stewart describes it:  "Can't pass, a double would bury the heart suit, and two spades would be too rich."  Billy Eisenberg is pithy:  "Reluctantly."  Brian Glubok: "I prefer to keep the diamonds in reserve, perhaps LHO has a lot of them and wants to bid the suit."  Eric Kokish: "Ugly, so a cue-bid might be the right idea.  If there were an easy way into the auction later, I could understand a pass."  Daniel Korbel says "The hand does not justify driving to the three-level.  Even two hearts is in considerable jeopardy.  With both minors, partner can double two or three spades."  Robert Wolff thinks "The intermediates are too shabby to drive to the three-level, although if it went two spades back to me, I would probably bid three diamonds."

2 ♠   100   BWP 50%   BWS 68% IAC 64%
Despite all of the defects of the hand and the fact that the two-suit takeout is ambiguous regarding the second suit, the Panel and solvers both prefer the cue-bid to other options.  BluBayou writes: "This bucket of loosers  is what Michaels' cue was meant for, IMO.  Hoping to bid 2 suits one at a time is a poster child for  "making the last mistake".  MAKE them catch you after a SINGLE intervention if they can.  Remind your partner that the bid that means "show my your minor"  is TWO NOTRUMP,  not three clubs; Then it's possible  to come to a safe port,  should he mave 6+ clubs without any red support"  Bart Bramley: "I'm a big believer in showing two-suiters wholesale.  If LHO is about to bid a lot of spades, I'll be happy with my choice.  Two hearts would overstate the suit.  If LHO bids three or four spades, I'll risk a double."  Steve Robinson says "Find the fit first and worry about level later."    YleeXotee is "not passing up a hint, plus its what I would really do at the table"  To John Carruthers its "Like opening one notrump, we ought to do this whenever possible.  Here no other call is more descriptive."  Karen McCallum: "After decades of looking for (and not finding) reasons not to use two-suited bids, I'm back to telling partner about 10 cards in my hand whenever I can."  David Berkowitz: "This hand is not about hearts only."  WackoJack: "No other bid"  Zach Grossack: "Even for someone who is conservative regarding vulnerable, two-suited overcalls, this hand is too strong to pass, and other actions would be distortions."  Nik Demirev thinks "Acting immediately has competitive advantages if the opponents reach three spades or higher quickly."  Howard Weinstein: "Poor texture could lead to a disaster, but it is important to get both suits involved whenever possible."  CCR3: "Reluctantly. Toiled over this one. Could be right just as well as in deep trouble."  Or as Sami Kehela writes, "Don't blame me if we concede a large penalty."  Phillip Alder: "Even with the dice loaded against this action."  And Zia has his battle cry: "Purity be damned!  I want to win."

Problem E  2 !C  (BabsG, VeeRee, JCreech, Hoki, CCR3, Masse24, WackoJack, VeredsK, YleeXotee, Blubayou)

Imps  Both sides vulnerable
You, South, hold:

♠ A K Q 5    —    A J 3   ♣ J 10 9 7 6 4

1 ♣      Pass      1         Pass
  1 ♠      Pass      1 NT      Pass
   ?         
What call do you make?

You have opened and bid two suits to show where your length is, while partner has bid your void and suggested notrump in his two turns to bid.  You do have a bit in reserve, but there would be true extras if partner had not bid hearts.  What's your next move?  Run to your six-bagger to slow things down with your misfit, raise notrump with your void and concerns about transportation, bid the fourth suit because partner has implied the suit, or something else altogether.

2    90   BWP 36%   BWS 25%  IAC No solvers
The strongest action taken was to bid the fourth suit; but it doesn't sound like such a strong action by listening to the Panelists.  Danny Kleinman is "Torn between two clubs and three clubs.  If I can get by - er, I mean - if I can torture a three-club preference from partner, I'll bid five."  Howard Weinstein says "While partner may visualize 4=1=3=5, this avoids the underbid of two clubs and distortion of three clubs."  John Carruthers: "At the risk of ambiguity with 4=0=4=5.  If raised, I'll try to limp back to clubs."  Karen McCallum believes "If partner knows about the heart shortness, he's likely to make the right decision."  While David Berkowitz simply "Shows 12 cards of my shape with extras."

3 ♣   80   BWP 25%   BWS 19%  IAC No solvers
The jump in clubs shows the extra length and values.  Finn Kolesnik thinks "Partner had a reason to bid notrump.  If clubs come in, we should have good prospects in three notrump, and three clubs should be safe enough opposite two-low or a stiff honor."  Sami Kehela qualifies Finn's assessment:  "A very powerful hand if North has a decent club fit.  This is the way to announce that."  But my question is, will partner be expecting a better club suit, or understand that he needs to bring club honors to the party?  Billy Eisenberg "Imperfect, but this is too strong for two clubs."  Nik Demirev feels "If partner bids, he can show location of strength, and I can make a strain decision."  I thought by jumping in clubs, you were throwing the strain decision to partner.  Nonetheless, I agree with Robert Wolff that "Raising notrump is not close."  And Brian Glubok may have the best point:  "Whatever happens, I'll be in a reasonably-strong position to blame partner."

2 ♣   100   BWP 39%   BWS 47%  IAC  91%
The anemic club suit has a plurality of the Panel and BWS solvers pulling in their horns; as for the IAC, nearly everyone was on board with taking the low road.  JCreech lays out the situation well: "The void in partner's suit and the jack-sixth length suggest to me be conservative.  This is another hand where if partner can take another move, I will likely bid a game."  Carl Hudecek "Let's play in a strain where we can make something."  Steve Robinson says "We need partner to hold a club fit to be able to make game.  A three-club jump requires stronger clubs."  Masse24: "Do not like my heart void. Not worth 2NT. Almost worth 3 !C, but my suit quality and void in partner's suit convince me to go low."  Eric Kokish thinks "Knowledge of a six-card suit will sometimes encourage North to raise.  After  shape-showing two diamonds, it might be tough to get back to clubs, as North will often love diamonds."  YleeXotee is "showing the crummy clubs again but at least there are 6 of them"  Fred Stewart is "Going low with a crummy suit.  A game-try would be begging to reach a poor-play three notrump opposite some pretty-good North hands."  Larry Robbins: "This will usually be better spot than one notrump.  If the opponents can run five hearts, declarer will be hard pressed for pitches off this dummy."  Eric Stoltz "The clubs are too weak to do more at this point."  CCR3: "Showing length in view of the heart void."  Daniel Korbel: "If partner has a little bit, I hope to learn about it."  WackoJack: "Considered 2N and rejected it."  Hoki "can’t stomach being stuck in NT"  But BluBayou thinks "Leaving in  1NT  can't be hideous,  but 2 !C , 2, !D [size=78%] or 2[/size] !S  should be fine too.  The trouble is  when I hear 2 diamonds, after my retreat to 2 clubs, I am gonna raise it.  That could get embarrassing.  But I have learned that the 6-9 point-range for pard's 1NT rebid turns out to be 10 points really often."

Problem F  1 !S  (Hoki, CCR3, Veredk, BluBayou, WackoJack, BabsG)

You, South, hold:

♠ A Q 10 7 4 2    —    3   ♣ A K Q J 6 5

   ?         
What call do you make?

It doesn't take much for this hand to make slam, but then partner could have a very nice hand that simply doesn't fit and you get overboard.  How best to describe this distributional monster?  Make a demand bid to clarify your strength early, or take your chances by opening at the one-level to give you more opportunities to clarify your shape.

2 ♣   70   BWS 18%   BWS 17%  IAC 1 solver
For those who fear their opening bid passed out, we have 2 !CZach Grossack: "I can't stand the thought of one spade passed out when we can make six clubs.  I plan to bid spades, spades, clubs, then six clubs (unless at some point partner supports a black suit, in which case I will use an exclusion-key-card-ask)."  Rozanne and Bill Pollack: "To open a two-suiter with two clubs, the hand must be very big."  Fred Stewart: "Yes, there will be a lot of bidding, but I'm unafraid of any level to which I might be pushed."  Nik Demirev: "Normally, I'd prefer opening one spade with this shape, but here there are special conditions.  When North has two spades, four spades is likely best; clubs will generally be better when North has more clubs than spades, not playing in a black suit could be right only in rare cases, hard to diagnose below three notrump.  I hope to bid spades once, then clubs twice."  I found Daniel Korbel's reason interesting: "Zia has been imploring me to open two clubs more often.  If I opened one spade and he saw the answer, I would be in big trouble."  And where is Zia?  Not among the 2 !C bidders, though he does express a strong opinion about how the hand should be opened.  Yet I found DickHy to have the most persuasive reason: "Yeah, the purist voice in my ear is purring 'one spade, honey.'   Who’s got time for pure bridge??"

1 ♣   90   BWS 36%   BWS 9%  IAC 36%
So if you open one of a suit, which one do you choose?  Clubs are solid; if partner is void, you can still pick up the suit if they break 4=3, and that is the worst case scenario.  Even if the clubs were not so solid, the correct order for bidding touching suits is the top suit; with spades and clubs, the top suit is clubs.  Let's hear from the man who famously says, if you don't open a major suit, you cannot hold at least five in the suit:  Steve Robinson "I want to set clubs as trump, since the suit plays opposite a void; it will be difficult to do this if I don't open one club."  Similarly, Robert Wolff "I would not have thought that I would open a lower-ranking suit with equal length in spades, but I was wrong.  For slam, clubs will likely be better than spades."  Masse24 considers the bid "Risky. Banking on red suit calls at a high level allowing me to stick in a spade bid to give partner a choice. 'Normal' is of course opening 1 !S."  Interestingly enough, Jeff Rubens makes the bid citing "Safety first; publicity last."  Larry Robbins points out that "I can easily bid spades over red suits.  I don't want to open one spade and then need to guess which suit to bid over four hearts."  Carl Hudecek "Leaves maximum room for numerous spade bids.  I hope to jump to two spades, then to bid three spades, then to bid four spades."  David Berkowitz says "If I open one spade, no matter how many times I bid clubs thereafter, partner won't think in terms of six solid clubs."  YleeXotee "flipped a coin on this. the OLD school is a 1c bid, but the new school is 1s bid, but maybe this is the kind of hand that made old school right."  JCreech: "I would be inclined at the table to bid clubs first, but even with Panel, the clubs feel like a card or two longer than the spades."  Danny Kleinman brings up his esoteric rules: "Be wary of omnibus two-club openings on freak hands, and be wary of bidding spades before clubs with black two-suiters."  And Zia draws upon his rubber-bridge experience: "This will separate the bridge players from the pigeons.  This hand has a seven-card suit."

1 ♠   100   BWS 46%   BWS 74%  IAC 55%
Despite all the arguments for opening 1 !C, a majority of the solvers and a plurality of the Panel opt to open 1 !S.  Let's start with a Brian Glubok channeling: "I can hear Al Roth asking, 'Where do you get these problems?'"  I like Howard Weinstein's thoughts. "Usually, I would open two clubs if we might be cold for slam if partner passed a one-bid, but I also have a guideline that if slam may be poor or worse if partner has an opening hand, avoid opening two clubs.  Here, North could have a hand similar to South's and probably there would be no slam." but they seem as applicable to opening 1 !C as it does 1 !S.  The big argument for opening 1 !S is that partner will be thinking that the clubs are longer.  John Diamond "If I start with one club, partner will wind up thinking my hand is five=six."  Eric Kokish "Those who like one club to keep bidding spades at more-convenient levels later have a good case, but after a third spade bid they will have portrayed six+seven, not such a small thing."  Karen McCallum thinks there is "Plenty of time to get this right.  I'm hoping for an exclusion-key-card=ask sequence, and starting low will increase the chance of that (unless the opponents will keep quiet and partner will raise spades."  However, many of the IAC solvers are more focused on explaining why they are opening at the one-level, and not 2 !CCCR3: "Avoiding 2 C with 2 suits. Looks like a great hand but only 16 points.  Lots of points around the table. I'll get another chance to bid."  WackoJack: "It will not be passed out"  Hoki: "'normal' (dare I say that?)"  John Carruthers discusses some of the unique issues this hand presents: "It is rare to open a two-loser hand at the one-level.  The sixth spade steers me away from one club.  There is no chance of all pass.  The biggest downside is the possible difficulty in describing the hand later, but that would not be alleviated by a two-club opening."  While BluBayou likes to tie current hands to similar ones from the recent past:  "Last month's companion board ( Problem E)  was  AKQxxx, ---, K, AKJTxx.   There probably won't be serious objection from the panel  with the assigned 2 !C   opening with this 21-count,  but there will be with the o-so-similar 16-count here."

This ends Part 2.  I will be back with Part 3 when I have time.  Meanwhile, do not forget to submit your answers to next month's MSC.  I know I am missing one answer, but I will finish up after Part 3 is complete.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 12:20:38 PM by jcreech »

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2023, 11:51:02 AM »
April MSC SUMMARY (Part 3)– Kit Woolsey, Director

Problem G  3 !H  (VeeRee, CCR3, YleeXotee, BluBayou, VeredK, WackoJack, JCreech, Masse24)

Imps  Both sides vulnerable
You, South, hold:

♠ J 9    A    K Q 7 4 2   ♣ A 8 7 4 3

1        Pass       1        Pass
  2 ♣       Pass       2 ♠*     Pass
  3 ♣       Pass       3         Pass
   ?         
*BWS: game-force

What call do you make?

You have shown your 5=5 in the minors, while partner has shown hearts. game-forcing values, and what may be reluctant preference for one of your suits.  You have to make a bid, but what to the choices mean at this stage in the auction?

3    100   BWP 54%   BWS 55% IAC 73%
A majority of both Panelists and solvers went with 3 !H.  Some clearly were wearing their rose-colored glasses; considering the 3 !D preference as more than a reluctant choice.  Danny Kleinman says "The sky's the limit.  Six diamonds is tempting but would be premature.  I hope that partner will know how confused I will be if he control-bids three spades with anything but the ace."  David Berkowitz thinks "With a beauty for diamonds, I will continue in that direction unless North bids three notrump, which I can comfortably pass."  Eric Stoltz: "Leaves in easy opportunity for partner to show spade values."  Masse24 "Control. At least that's how I intend it. I hope it's not taken as !H Hx."  CCR3 "How convenient. Cue bid next suit up the line with this 2 suiter. Slam possible."  WackoJack "Control agreeing diamonds.  It cannot be natural support"  The moderator, Kit Woolsey, asks "Why has partner shown great diamond support?  What if he is punting to get more information?  Suppose North holds, e.g.:  ♠ Qxx    K10xxxx    Ax   ♣ Kx and was reluctant to bid three hearts for fear of being raised on a singleton honor.  He can't bid higher than three diamonds to find out whether or not South has a doubleton heart."  Others show more caution.  Nik Demirev thinks "My job is to show the better major (breaking ties up the line) to evaluate if three notrump is playable."  John Diamond:  "Temporarily ambiguous but sufficient for now."  Zach Grossack is "Bidding where I live.  Opposite a diamond fit, this is a slam-positive holding, so I will show something useful in hearts."  Steve Robinson:  "Shows a heart control and denies a spade control.  I need a spade control for slam."  Or a softer spade control, such as Qxx or better, for 3 NT.  Daniel Korbel "Does not show a singleton spade."  Larry Robbins:  "Need not show two hearts, just a grope for the best strain, especially to investigate three notrump.  Three spades would indicate something in spades."  DickHy "We’re lacking a spade stop otherwise partner, who seems to have five hearts, would have bid 3N over 3 !C.  With two useless spades I’m hesitant about raising the temperature with a heart cue bid.  However, could North have Ax KQxxx Axxx Qx, having rejecting Ax as a stop?  Neither East nor West made a 1 !S overcall (one might hold Kxxx and the other Qxxxx), which seems to place North with a high spade honour.  3 !H would give North a chance to show Ax in spades (he won’t cue with Kx in spades), so perhaps it’s worth the detour, just in case 6 !D is on the horizon."  JCreech "Bid my outside control, and hope that nine-trick game is a viable alternative.  I really want to bid 4 !C to continue shape description, but decided to keep 3 NT available"  YleeXotee "flipping coins on this one too. I really thought about 4h. but 3h has to be ok too as control showing, I already did not show three hearts I think, but not supporting after the 2s bid. 3s is tempting too, but I couldn't talk myself into that one being a panel bid."  BluBayou "show  !H A--'nuff said."

3 ♠   90   BWP 36%   BWS 23% IAC  1 solver
Avoiding the appearance of finality of a 3 NT bid, some choose 3 !S as a mark-time bid.  Brian Glubok thinks it "The only punt available.  Three hearts would show a doubleton."  Carl Hudecek feels his bid "Suggests 3=0=5=5, but I want to try to reach a diamond slam, so three notrump instead would be too final."  Billy Eisenberg: "As we are below three notrump, this asks for a stopper."  Zia: "A fragment in BWS style."  Howard Weinstein says "I have significant extras, but not enough to force to slam or to commit to diamonds.  I will suggest my shape and hope for guidance.  I will pass three notrump or try hard for slam after anything else."  Bart Branley points out that this is the "Last chance for three notrump.  Three hearts should show at least two."  But I fear that Robert Wolff's assessment is most apt:  "Nothing else fits, so I invite partner to make the mistake."

4    50   BWP 1 Panelist   BWS 8% IAC  1 solver
Phillip Alder chooses to spurn the chance for NT and distorts his shape at the same time:  "The good news is nice trumps and two aces, the bad news is weak clubs and two spade losers.  I try to convey that message."  The moderator's opinion is the bid actually conveys "The message that partner will receive is that one of your low spades is a low diamond."  Hoki "would love to bid 4 as a control bid, but is it?"

4 ♣   60   BWP 7%   BWS 5% IAC No solvers
Other panelists also spurn the chance for NT, but distorts the shape differently.  Rozanne and Bill Pollack:  "We will have an easy four hearts over four diamonds.  Our intermediates are nonexistent, but the good prime cards cover us."  Karen McCallum rejects all the other choices:  "A heart bid would suggest honor-low.  Three spades would become a control bid when I remove three notrump.  Four diamonds would squeeze the auction.  Four clubs allows four diamonds - four hearts"

Problem H  !D 4,7,8  (JCreech, VeredK)

Matchpoints  Both sides vulnerable
You, South, hold:

♠ 10 8    J 6 5 2    J 8 7 4   ♣ Q 9 7

——       1       Pass      1 ♠
  Pass      2        Pass      4 NT
  Pass      5 ♣*     Pass      5
  Pass      5 ♠†     Pass      7 NT
  Pass      Pass    Pass
*one key card for hearts
†heart queen and spade king

What is your opening lead?

Not much I can say about the leads other than everyone is trying for safety.  Giving away one trick may not concede the contract, but more probably will.

2, 5, 6   60   BWP 1   BWS 5% IAC 27%
Billy Eisenberg "Hoping that this is the safest lead."  DickHy "East might be able to pick up the heart suit anyway (certainly with Kxx in hearts and maybe with Kx, having a spade entry into West).  Partner hasn’t got much but whatever he has I will kill it with a non-heart lead.  Leading the   !H 2 might make declarer do the work.  I can always hope partner has the  !H T !  "  BluBayou "But I am leading to the stiff heart king [or ace] anyway , mercy in my soul."

♣ 7   70   BWP 7%   BWS 3% IAC  1 solver
Finn Kolesnik "A major would run a high risk of giving away an important suit."  Zach Grossack "Imagining that East is banking on five spades, six hearts, and two aces.  The heart holding likely prevents six heart tricks, and I'm hoping that a club lead will break up a double squeeze."  Hoki "mol by elimination (what I said last time)"

4, 7, 8   100   BWP 54%   BWS 46% IAC 18%
JCreech "The was a who knows sort of lead.  I eliminated the majors first - !H J may be important stop in that suit and I don't want to pickle any spade holding the partner may have.  The minors seem about equal in terms of both safety and aggession, so I took a bit of negative inference that partner did not double the club keycard response, and decided to play the 8 to be constructive if partner has something in the suit, and suggestive that I don't want the suit led back to me."  John Carruthers "Hoping that East-West have no more than three diamonds in either hand and that dummy does not have queen-ten-low opposite declarer's ace-low-low.  Diamonds is the suit least likely to give up a trick."  Steve Robinson "A diamond can blow at most one trick."  Mark Cohen "Least likely to blow the contract."  Eric Stoltz "Bringing in the hearts is likely the key, so I show length in diamonds while making what seems to be the most-passive lead."  Phillip Alder "I dislike leading from a jack, but partner did not double five clubs, and a major-suit lead seems ill-advised."  John Diamond "Safest."  Larry Robbins "Declarer is probably counting on six heart tricks with ace-low or king-low, so a diamond seems safest."  Several Panelists point to diamonds for also breaking up a squeeze.  Eric Kokish does the most to explain the reasoning (which is not much) "Show some length to protect the hearts for a while.  The upside is to break up a double-squeeze when diamonds is the middle suit."  Zia "Do I need to find the squeeze-breaker?"  Danny Kleiman "Longest plus weakest equals safest."

J   60   BWP 1   BWS 1% IAC No solvers
Carl Hudecek "Maybe West has king-nine-low opposite East's ace-ten, and the jack is the only safe diamond to lead."

♠ 10   80   BWP 29%   BWS 40% IAC 45% 
Masse24 "Passive. I see no indication another suit would be better. I assume this will be the popular solver choice. The panel will tell me why a diamond is best."  YleeXotee is "comforted that several others chose this lead."  WackoJack "Looks like it gives away least"  Most Panelists choosing the !S 10 cited the false-card aspect.  Rozanne and Bill Pollack "The big danger is that it gives our hand away.  If the lead is about to bury partner's jack-low-low-low, declarer might not believe that we'd be idiotic enough to lead from ten-low as opposed to a tricky jack-ten."  Fred Stewart "If this is a disaster, it might be something declarer could have done himself."  Nik Demirev "Even it the spade ten potentially blows the suit, the declarer will hardly take advantage of that as it might be from jack-ten-low."  Howard Weinstein "If partner has the queen, it was finessable if dummy has a low spade.  If partner has the jack, declarer may play me for jack-ten."  Jeff Rubens "East likely has the spade jack; if he doesn't, he may not pick up partner's jack-fourth on the theory that I might lead the ten from jack-ten-low (as, indeed, I might)."  Sami Kehela "Will this compromise partner's jack-fourth?  No, declarer will never believe that this is not a falsecard from jack-ten-third."  One thing that might compel me to pick the 10 is the moderator's musing about a restructured problem:  "If the South hand were modified to jack-ten-low of spades and jack-low-low of diamonds, I would expect a near-unanimous vote for the ten of spades."  Food for thought.

This finally ends the third part of April's MSC.  Sorry it took so long, but I suffered with burnout on the writing portion and could not convince myself not to play.  The June problems are out, so please participate.  I also have the Bridge World responses for May, so I am beginning to assemble those summaries.

blubayou

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2023, 03:13:54 PM »
some sort of comfort to see that a few panelists saw  'breaking the squeeze linkage at trick one"  as a likely winner.  damn!  I can't believe I got to that point and then dismissed it