Author Topic: 2023 January MSC  (Read 4254 times)

Masse24

• View Profile
2023 January MSC
« on: November 02, 2022, 01:56:14 PM »
JANUARY 2023 MSC
Deadline: NOVEMBER 30 at 11:59 p.m. (ET)

Submit your JANUARY MSC responses here: The Bridge World - MASTER SOLVERS CLUB

BWS 2017 System: BWS 2017
BWS 2017 POLLS, CHANGES AND ADDITIONS: BWS 2017 - Polls, Changes, and Additions
  • Bridge World Standard 2017 (BWS or BWS2017) is effective beginning with the January 2017 Master Solvers' Club problems. This page shows (1) the results of the panelist polls that were used to adjust the system; and (2) the changes in and the additions to Bridge World Standard 2001 (BWS2001) that were made.
    In the listings of the questions and answers, an asterisk indicates the BWS2001 agreement; the proportion of the expert votes for each item, rounded to the nearest percent, is shown in brackets.

IAC Forum MSC Scores

“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

blubayou

• IACAdmins
  • lifelong director [1977-2010] and haunter of ACBL
    • View Profile
Re: 2023 January MSC
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2022, 10:08:46 PM »
A:>>  good non-freak hands reopen with a double automatically even wit an unbid suit like Q-x,  right?  but the master solvers went for "2NT"  earlier this year,  and even gave the wimpy  "TWO DIAMS"  some support.  Still, I start the new year sticking to my gun--for a 60 score I imagine   ---DOUBLE---

B:>>  First look seemed "WTP" pass,  but no --I am reaching for the vul 3NT game.   ---3 !S ---

C:>>  Single-raise?   disgusting isn't it?                       --- 2 !C ---

D:>>  The LAW-number MIGHT be 18  ( 5-4 heart fit versus 5-3 plus 4-4  in our minors),  but I'll be damned if I am going to bet that their 3 !S    is making which suggests a down-one sacrifice by our 23-plus  points.                                                                      --Pass--
E:>>    ??? ???    next!

F:>>  Four hearts

G:>>  After our responsive double fetches "2 !S " from partner is correcting to three hearts enough?  I really feel like going for game,  so  3 clubs,  and cue-advance  are also in the mix, as well as "double followed by a GAME BID.            ---??---

F:>>  Tempted to hit partner with the heart ten,  but then  he has enough to squeek "1 !H "  over opp's  1D response, no prolly not.  so  I will hope spades are 4-3-3-3  with him having the thirteener.  Since all four suits look like opening leader is endplayed,  " I hate lead problems"!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2022, 09:10:48 PM by blubayou »
often it is better to beg forgiveness, than ask permission

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2022, 11:26:50 AM »
My initial thoughts:

Problem A:  Dbl  "The reopening double stands out; shortness in spades, length in at least two suits, enough strength to convert clubs to diamonds under any set of agreements.

Problem B:  3 !S  Trying for 3 NT seems sensible with partner's club fit - I just hope it is not one of those robot small doubletons.  If partner has red suit coverage, then I likely only need two tricks from him.

Problem C:  1 NT  The soft values and 4=3=3=3 have me bidding a bit conservatively this round, but willing to accept any invitation.  I went with 1 NT because I have cards to be led into, and at the one-level, Panelists do not seem to care much about guaranteeing a stopper.  If I had a fifth club or a doubleton diamond, I probably would raise clubs.

Problem D:  Pass Partner should have a decent read of my hand (HCPs and clubs), so I will pass the double and hope for a plus.

Problem E:  1 !D  I don't like it, but I think the Panel will open at the one level with this 4-7.

Problem F: 3 !S  I have extras and a fit.  The least I can do  is give partner a boost.  The most is to show strength and suggest the fit, while also keeping the bidding as low as I am able.

Problem G:  3 !C  I think this is the situation where partner is forced to 3 !H and my bid shows a good suit.  I am willing to be in hearts with Kx, but would love to be in 3 NT if partner has a diamond stop and the club ace.

Problem H:  !S 3 With all of my strength in the opponent's suits, I like trying to hit partner.  Since he was not gracious enough to tell me which major is his, I have to guess.  I have two reasons to try spades first:  I have the jack and I have three.  The jack may help set up the suit more than the !H 10, and since I rate to get in more frequently than partner, it provides more "safe" exit cards from my hand than hearts. 
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

blubayou

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2022, 11:00:50 PM »
golly---I am on Jim's page  all down the line?   Scarey.

peuco

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2022, 04:42:52 PM »
A. X
B. 3NT no info to the opps on what to lead
C. 1NT
D. 5C I think it has decent chance
E. 1D agree with Jim
F. 4NT I make the invitation and protect the S K , plus NT may yield more than H
G. 3C agree with Jim
H. S 3 S is the nemesis of NT the saying goes here

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2022, 02:29:38 PM »
January Guesses:

Problem A: X. Double seems clear. Too much to pass vul at IMPs. A close second is 2NT. East's failure to further the preempt increases the possibility that partner has three or more spades.

Problem B: 3 !S. IMPs, vul. Too much to give up on a 9 trick game.

Problem C: 2 !C. Originally thought showing a limit raise best, but will now go the other end of the spectrum with a simple raise. It is, ostensibly, a flat 10. At MP it would be a easier to choose 1NT, but I'm going low--even though the panel more often shoots high. (Heaven help me--do I see that Blue also went with 2 !C here?)  ;)

Problem D: 4 !C. With Pass the other option.

Problem E: Pass. Changed my mind here as well. With four spades, I do not like the preempt. Pass is what I would do at the table. Previously, my 1 !D was my attempt to guess the panel's choice--always my goal. But I think they will be wildly split among the three (or four?) choices. Hopefully the Pass is the plurality choice.

Problem F: 4NT. Conveys a lot of information. Avoids the lead through the !S K and possible ruff. I look forward to the panel's opinion. Fun problem.

Problem G: 3 !C. Enough to probe for game. This shows my values and where I live.

Problem H: !H T. Passive. My gut reaction lead without much thought. If I think hard I may go in another direction.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 02:02:48 AM by Masse24 »
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

blubayou

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2022, 12:50:47 AM »
Problem A:>>  Originally I saw the reopening double protecting partner's trap pass  as our duty.   But he doesn't HAVE a penalty leave-in;  he has  the Jxx in spades  plus some lifesaving trash in clubs.  So, 2NT play by south is going to slither home,  but get murdered when the A-10  is in the dummy.  Farewell,  reopening double, I'm bailing for.........Two Notrump
    P.S.  IF partner chooses to run to 3 clubs now, I would feel a lot better leaving him alone there than had he pulled the reopening double to that bid (in fact I would feel obliged to correct to diamonds)

Problem B:>> Peuco's direct bash to 3NT got me thinking about our probe for it via "3 !S ".  We expect north to coff up "3NT' over this.  But suppose he HAS weakness in diamonds and has to retreat to 4 !C or  [double-yukk]  4 !H  how will we like that.  To Hell with stopper-checking
                                                     ---Three Notrump---

Problem C:>>  If everybody promised to pass,  I could swallow that stopperless, natural, TO PLAY One Notrump (and indeed everybody might just shut up  this deal).  But if some villain manages to say "2 !D "  I will be up the creek  to show my "Maximum"!  To double after my NT bid would surely need some trump winners--right?  And to support clubs at the 3-level risks partner having the 4=4=2=3 12-count we know he is holding.   When our first response is "2 !C ",  we can double an opp's compete to 2 !D  with a clear conscience.
   There is no need to make a cue-invite  with this QT9, AJx,Jxx, QJTx!  It will take a full opening notrump from partner to bring in 8 tricks after he comes up with a diamond stopper.
                                                        ---Two Clubs---

Problem D:>> with partner's 11-plus points, They will win no more than 5+2  trump tricks.  The double stands.                                              ---Pass---

Problem E:>>  I have said in this forum for years "There IS NO OPENING 1-BID of 8 HCP", and those fools keep giving me 60's or lower.   This may be my only vote to get revenge on them this month:
                    believing in "pass", but  ---One Diamond---

Problem F:>> 

« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 02:11:23 AM by blubayou »

hoki

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2022, 09:05:14 AM »
Problem A: 3 !D - but it's close to double which I'd do ony if I was prepared to pass 3!C from partner in the hope that partner has five clubs.

Problem B: Pass. I don't feel as if my values and partner's are sufficient to secure nine tricks for a notrump game. After all, I've only got 12 HCPs and partner has shown a distributional hand.

Problem C: 1NT. I'd rather show a balanced hand than suggest that I have some distribution.

Problem D: 5 !C. It is IMPs, so feel we gotta be in game.

Problem E: 1 !D.

Problem F: 3 !S, then 4!H, showing more strength than a direct 4!H.

Problem G: 3 !C. Perfect for "non-forcing constructive".

Problem H: !C 3. Nothing appeals. Who does like lead problems?

bAbsG

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2022, 10:20:27 PM »
SOLVER: Babs Giesbrecht
Your Solutions for the January 2023 Contest 
-------------------
PROBLEM A: Double
PROBLEM B: 3 Spades
PROBLEM C: 2 Diamonds
PROBLEM D: 4 Clubs
PROBLEM E: 1 Diamond
PROBLEM F: 3 Spades
PROBLEM G: 3 Clubs
PROBLEM H: Heart 10

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2022, 02:00:28 AM »
SOLUTIONS FOR:
Todd Holes

PROBLEM C: 2 Clubs
PROBLEM E: Pass
PROBLEM F: 4 Notrump

A couple changes from my first choice. Initially, I went with the aggressive choices. Both changes reverted to the more conservative route. I feel very confident about three or four . . . but "C" and "E" are complete guesses.

ccr3

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2022, 02:58:24 AM »

Your Solutions for the January 2023 Contest   
-------------------
PROBLEM C: 1 Notrump

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2022, 03:11:15 AM »
SOLUTIONS FOR:
James Creech
FREDERICKSBURG VA 22407-9355
U.S.A.

PROBLEM C: 1 Notrump
PROBLEM D: 4 Clubs  Its IMPs and I cannot stand bringing back a result where we doubled them into a vulnerable game.  Call me chicken.  My heart is still with the pass.
PROBLEM H: Heart 10  A different type of chicken.  I still want to hit partner, but I have been hurt these past two months with lone-wolf actions that I still like, just not the points that accompany those positions.  I will go with the unbid suit that has company. 
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2022, 02:34:02 PM »
Please include a comment or two with your answers.

veredk

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2022, 04:37:04 PM »

blubayou

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2022, 05:39:04 PM »
SOLUTIONS FOR Jock McQuade3 Bag End Hobbiton The Shire.
PROBLEM A: 2 Notrump
PROBLEM D: Pass
PROBLEM G: 3 Clubs --  What's troubling about  three clubs??  WE MAY PLAY IT THERE,  FOR A 18% :( :(
PROBLEM H: Spade 3--   lotta heart tens through dummy  from our gang;  yipes!

Thank you for participating in the Master Solvers Club contest.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 06:55:25 PM by blubayou »