Author Topic: 2022 November MSC  (Read 3820 times)

yleexotee

• View Profile
Re: 2022 November MSC
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2022, 01:15:24 AM »
PROBLEM A: 4 Spades - going aggresive as I hope the panel will.
PROBLEM B: Double - I'm not sure I have diamonds stopped. so going a different way
PROBLEM C: 3 Diamonds - thought hard about 3h too
PROBLEM D: 3 Hearts - very obviously a cue bid raise here.
PROBLEM E: 3 Hearts - I'm also going for a game try, but going 3h instead.
PROBLEM F: Double - strongly considered the heart bid, but settled on X
PROBLEM G: 3 Diamonds - I hate this bid, but this is what I settled on. probably pass is best.
PROBLEM H: Diamond 4 - this seems normal, but I see lots of people leading the 6 for some reason. I can't bring myself to lead the doubleton spade.

ccr3

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2022, 02:06:53 AM »
Problem A: 3 spades
Problem B: 2 No trump
Problem C: Pass
Problem D: Pass
Problem E: Redouble
Problem F: Double
Problem G: Pass
Problem H: Diamond 6

blubayou

• IACAdmins
  • lifelong director [1977-2010] and haunter of ACBL
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2022, 02:16:15 AM »
JOE!  all us  six-spot leaders  forgot to research  BWS leads fifth from five!!  (  and Todd didn't hold our hand in timely fashion-- plus  Kenberg  is AWOL this month  for doing the same this month) :( :(
« Last Edit: October 01, 2022, 05:44:03 AM by blubayou »
often it is better to beg forgiveness, than ask permission

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2022, 03:07:20 PM »
November Results

BabsG and CCR3 led the IAC solvers with 740.  BluBayou and Hoki were third with 720. BabsG made the honor roll this month, though CCR3 would have without a misclick on her lead on her electronic entry (at IAC, we can be a bit more flexible and allow a correction).

NAMEBW-SCORERANKMPs
BabsG     740   1   30
CCR3     740   1   30
Hoki     720   3   10
BluBayou     720   3   10

Also participating this month were:  JCreech, Peuco, Masse24, YleeXotee.

Congratulations to all!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 01:31:36 AM by jcreech »
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

blubayou

• IACAdmins
  • lifelong director [1977-2010] and haunter of ACBL
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2022, 12:56:07 AM »
Golly--there were WAY too many 90's  (and 80's)  this month  for also-ran  choices!   bless the scorekeeper's heart.   
As for my prediction or 3 landslide votes -- boy was that a misfire.  In fact, the only MAJORITY vote came on problem G -- no  IAC person even  mentioned:   ie: raising to 2 measly spades with
Kxx, JTxxx, KJxxx, void !  (this was my pitiful 60,  for choosing "cue-invite")
Lastly,  be sure to notice that on problem
Lastly,  has anybody  ever see FIVE votes get the 100,  over EIGHT votes?  This happened on problem E, where  holding  KJxxxxx, Axx,  x, AQx,  forcing to game and 'signing off'  both got disrespected compared to making an INVITE...after:  1 !S , 2 !D , 2 !S , double; ___?   Granted the  (alleged) inviters outnumbered the game-forcers  by 16 to 8...
I guess that explains why the most favored invite got the 100, since it lead the other 3 in the INVITE crowd  by  5  to 5  to 3  to 2.  Still,  a 5 beating out an 8  is really rare.
often it is better to beg forgiveness, than ask permission

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2022, 11:56:50 AM »
October MSC SUMMARY (Part 1)– Bart Bramley, Director

Problem A  3 !S (JCreech, BabsG, BluBayou, CCR3, Peuco)

Matchpoints  Neither side vulnerable
You, South, hold:

♠ J 9 5    A 9 6 5    —   ♣ A 9 8 6 4 3

SOUTH   WEST   NORTH   EAST
  ——      Pass      1        Pass
  1        Pass      1 ♠       Pass
  2 ♠       Pass      3        Pass
   ?         
What call do you make?

This hand brings out questions of level and strain.  You have a couple of bullets and a void, but the fits are iffy.  As for level, it is matchpoints, so going plus is more important than stretching, particularly for a white game, while if you play in a major, your hand has both features that could be worth re-valuations both ways; it depends on how; lucky do you feel.  As for strain, both you and partner have been flirting with a major-suit contract, but it feels like a pair of 4-3 fits, so a big question is which hand will be taking the tap in trump.  You can see the void in diamonds, but can infer partner's shortness in clubs.  However, there is still an elephant, named Hamman's rule, that is still in the room; three suits have been bid, and your best suit is the unbid clubs.  Can you scrape together nine tricks with your two Moysian's before the opponents can figure out where they might have five?  Certainly, food for thought.

3 ♠   100   Bridge World Panel (BWP) 26%   Bridge World solvers (BWS) 36%  Intermediate/Advanced Club (IAC) 63%
According to the moderator, Bart Bramley, "Those that pass or revert to three spades are betting either that game is poor or that landing in the best strain will be enough to get most of the matchpoints:"  For example, JoAnna Stansby thinks "This four-three fit will play better than hearts because I'd rather use my lowish spades for ruffing.  Game is possible in a major, but I'll be happy with 140 or 170, because I don't think three notrump will make."  Worded a bit more strongly, BluBayou says "WHAT was I thinking??  Assuming pard's raise is passable, it would be darned lucky for the 4-3 spade game to come home.   But spade partial  is the place to try to stop."  Or more simply:  Peuco writed "S is the suit to play"  Kit Woolsey: "Spades will be our best strain unless partner wants to suggest something else.  How many spades is North's problem." Joe Grue: "I would not have bid two spades, but once I did I'm not bidding three notrump or four spades.  Four spades might make, but we whould do well if partner scores 170."  JCreech was "Close to abstaining because this auction has gone from bad to worse.  I take it back to spades so the tap will be in the short hand and to discourage partner.  At least the worst that can happen is a zero." Kevin Rosenberg seemed to consider the hand as being even worse:  "Staying low on a misfit.  Three notrump doesn't look particularly good, and four spades wold be a bit ambitious at matchpoints."  While Steve Beatty thinks "We have a stronger hand than partner will expect but fewer trumps.  Opposite a 4=3=5=1 15-count, taking 10 tricks could be challenging, so I will hope partner outplays the field for extra matchpoints."  I do not disagree with Mark Feldman's assessment: "My guess is that one of three notrump or four spades would succeed and one would fail.  But I don't know which would turn out better, and it's not impossible that neither would make."

Pass   90   BWP 26%   BWS 19%  IAC 1 solver
Passing is a guess that hearts will play better and leaves no doubt that you are willing to stop below game.  The one IAC solver did not express an opinion, so we are left with the expert comments.  Danny Kleiman is susinct: "No eight-card fit, no source of trick, no jump-shift by partner: no game."  While Carl Hudecek provides more food for thought:  With no eight-plus-card fit and a void in the suit partner opened, I'll stay low.  A heart contract will play well on a crossruff, even with a trump lead, because I hold the heart ace.  The same can't be said for playing spades, where it's conceivable the defense could start with three rounds of trumps."  Mike Passell: "I expect to be able to crossruff for quite a few tricks.  Marchpoints is a fun game."

4 ♣   50   BWP 1 Panelist   BWS 4%  IAC No solvers
Allan Graves thinks this is a "Natural choice of games.  The methods should cater to this hand-type.  With good spades. the contract will play itself; with good hearts, discard spades and crossruff."  He might be right, but I agree more with Augie Boehm's interpretation of the bid:  "I would interpret four clubs as a control-bid agreeing a five-three heart fit and sniffing for a super-fit slam."  For obvious reasons, Augie chose a different action on the problem.

3 NT   60   BWP 15%   BWS 12%  IAC 1 solver
I suggested 3 NT as the elephant in the room; no real fit and a stopper with length in the unbid suit, and voila, our resident Hammanist appears.  Masse24 "I had a chat with Hamman. A misfit in all suits, but maybe we can build our tricks in the Moysians?"  While I do not regard Moysian's as misfits, they are challenging to develop the requisite nine tricks for the NT game.  More realistically, Sami Kehela makes the bid and describes the chances:  "Playing North for 4=3=5=1 and hoping for a minor-suit miracle."

4 ♠   80   BWP 22%   BWS 19%  IAC 1 solver
Although those settling for partscore contracts were evenly split between the majors, for those bidding a major-suit game, there was a clear choice of spades.  YleeXotee is "going aggressive as I hope the panel will."  Ross Grabel says "While I can't undo (and not sure I would want to) what I have done, I know I want to play in game, so I must follow through.  What's that?  I'm playing with Hamman?  I guess there will be overtricks then!"  David Berkowitz thinks "Even on a trump lead, we should have no trouble scrambling for 10 tricks.  The only reason to stay low (with three spades) is that we have found the highest-scoring strain."  Barry Bragin agrees:  "Even after a trump lead, partner will be a favorite to take six trump trick and four (or more) side-suit winners."  Roy Welland: "Should have a good chance without a trump lead, and it may be possible to try setting up diamonds after a trump lead."  Zia has a specific concern: "In for a penny.  Lots of tricks if we have the spade ace."  Pratap Rajadhyaksha makes a good argument for the bid: "Easier to ruff diamonds in South with spades trump than clubs in North with hearts trump.  Must bid game with this lovely hand, and three notrump does not rate to fetch."

4    70   BWP 7%   BWS 10%  IAC No solvers
Meanwhile, Jeff Rubens was one of only two Panelists bidding the heart game: "I'm considering only four of a major.  In hearts, I may be able to throw spades on diamonds and ruff at least twice with our low trumps and possible three times."  The other was the moderator, who went with hearts because "In hearts, we should be able to ruff at least twice with our low trumps and possibly three times."

Problem B  2 NT  (Peuco, CCR3, Hoki, BabsG, JCreech, Masse24)

Matchpoints  East-West vulnerable
You, South, hold:

♠ A 9 2    A K    10 9 5 4   ♣ A Q 6 3

——      ——      Pass       2
   ?         
What call do you make?

The opponents opened a weak two in front of you, in some ways you wish you were in the balancing seat where doubling with the wrong shape is more forgivable.  But you drew the direct seat, holding 17 of the finest, but with 4-4 in the minors, and only 109xx in opener's suit.  The choices seem to be between showing your values with 2 NT and hoping that partner has a bit of help for you, or passing, hoping that partner has the strength/shape that would allow him to compete, and if not, then maybe pass is your last plus position.  Is there something else?  Well you could risk your partner's wrath with a double; after all, you have at least three-card support for all the unbid suits (well, AK feels like three-card support even though it is a spot card short).

Pass   90   BWP 37%   BWS 24%  IAC 1 solver
According to the moderator, "This decision boils down to whether we want to try for (at least) 400 on offense or (at least) 200 on defense."  For those going low, the aim is for a penalty.  JoAnna Stansby says "Looking for a penalty, which might be 200 even without a double."  BluBayou says "I have 2!D booked.  If partner has some help,  they are down maybe 200 if it is serious help."  Sartaj Hans thinks "Plus 100 will not be a diaster.  And a bigger plus score may await us."  David Berkowitz: "Partner is still there; should he choose not to participate, we should be fine.  If partner does indeed pass, then a two-notrump bid probably would have traded a plus for a minus, or a small minus for a larger one."  Roy Welland: "If partner can't double or bid, we might not be able to make anything.  I'm not confident that I will know what to do over North's double, but I think I would pass."  Danny Kleinman: "The road to 400 or 420 on offense (that starts with overcalling two notrump, a close second choice) looks thornier than the road to 200 on defense."
Kevin Rosenberg: "Given the vulnerability, if partner has a stiff diamond and can't balance, I will be happy defending.  If North, holding two diamonds, passes it out, I will hope that we have no game.  I will pass a double, aiming at 200 (500 when we have a game).  If partner bids two hearts, I'll move toward game with three diamonds; over two spades, I can raise to game."  Jeff Rubens concludes:  "Don't see any way to avoid taking some dangerous position." 

2 NT   100   BWP 59%   BWS 69%  IAC 75%
Steve Beatty writes "I would prefer a real stopper, but any other action has more serious issues.  I expect two notrump will be a big vote-getter."  He was correct, the majority clearly went with the descriptive bid.  Kit Woolsey, for example, was succinct: "Not pass with this strong a hand and not double with a doubleton heart; this is what is left."  JCreech says "I hate this bid, and will look for something else, but it describes the strength, shape, and near stopper.  Maybe I will get lucky and either find partner with an honor or LHO with a void."  Peuco: "Agree 100% with Jim"  Erik Kokish argues "Not beautiful, but nothing is better.  It would be too extreme to hope for plus 100 or 200 (or minus 90) on defense to be our maximum result.  No one has told us yet that we can't make (say) six clubs."  Pratap Rajadhyaksha: "Makes the auction easier if partner has a long major.  Gets across the general nature of the hand.  North could have diamond help; if not, the suit will likely block."  Hoki points out that  "A singleton honour with West or any honour with partner is enough to create a stopper."  Masse24 finds that "Pass is also tempting at these colors."  Robert Wolff, though, has a different second choice: "Not proud of this, but no wimpy pass for me.  Double is a close second."  Barry Bragin: "When one bid conveys the strength and nature of the hand, it's hard to look elsewhere.  If we end up in notrump, any diamond honor in partner's hand or a stiff honor with West will prevent the opponents from running the suit.  If partner has a most one diamond, then I hope he will transfer into his major."

Double   60   BWP 1 Panelist   BWS 6%  IAC 1 solver
Phillip Alder steered clear of this bid: "A double with only two hearts, even these, looks too dangerous." Mark Feldman though, was more afraid of another alternative!  "East, who bid in second position and vulnerable, has deterred me from overcalling two notrump."  YleeXotee also has a concern with the other active call:  "I'm not sure I have diamonds stopped. so going a different way"

Problem C  3 !H  (None)

Matchpoints  Both sides vulnerable
You, South, hold:

♠ 10 3    A K Q 4    K 9 8 7 6   ♣ K Q

——      Pass      Pass      3 ♣
   ?         
What call do you make?

Another preempt and another awkward 17 HCPs.  This time the starting level is a bit higher, the stopper a bit more certain, and one of the major suits missing-in-action.  Some of the considerations include, how much weight to give to your KQ-tight in the opponent's suit and should you treat the AKQx of hearts as equal to the K9876 of diamonds.  Then again, you could risk a double missing the spade suit, or pass, hoping that either partner has the strength/shape to compete, or that if he doesn't, then maybe this is the last plus position.

3    80   BWP 15%   BWS 29%  IAC 38%
David Berkowitz says it well:  "Bid the long suit and hope for the best."  Unfortunately, everyone else largely mentioned the roads not taken.  Peuco: "thou I may make change to pass"  YleeXotee: "thought hard about 3h too"  Masse24: "This one stumps me. Pass? 3NT? 3H?"  Billy Eisenberg: "Not happy but hope it is not awful."  Which was aptly summed up by Robert Wolff: "In another hopeless-awkward moment, this bid should be classified as not more than a lesser evil than any other choice."  Nonetheless, Ross Grabel had an interesting take on his road not taken:  "Three hearts is sexy, but there is too much strength to pass, and I don't want partner raising hearts on three or, worse yet, on two."

3    100   BWP 33%   BWS 11%  IAC No solvers
I assumed that 3 !H was regarded as a sexy bid, because it was so risky.  Bidding a four-card suit opposite a passed partner at the three-level; sounds risky to me, as it must have for the IAC solvers.  However, it was was the co-plurality position of the Panel, and the moderator granted it the top score.  Why?  JoAnna Stansby points out the obvious:  "The easiest way to find the four-four heart fit.  Even a four-three fit may score more than diamonds or notrump.  I hope this isn't the time part wants to raise on a  doubleton."  Allan Graves says "This would seem to be the hand for a four-card overcall for all the usual reasons.  It is not as if anything else is clear-cut."  But shouldn't the three-level mitigate this reasoning?  Augie Boehm thinks the bid "Sort of scary, but the hand is too weak to double and then correct three spades to four diamonds (or to three notrump, when unable to hold up in clubs)."  Kit Woolsey believes "Partner is allowed to have heart support.  If he doesn't, maybe we'll survive anyway."  Mike Passell: "Tough.  Terrible club holding to bid three notrump.  Three diamonds would be middle of the road."  Zia: "Don't like anything, especially my choice.  If no one else finds it, you can say was a misclick."  Jeff Rubens: "The four of hearts should be higher for this; pass may be technically superior.  I'm adding for the chance that the opponents will make the last mistake."  Although I am not persuaded, I found Eric Kokish's thoughts more comforting toward the 3 !H choice: "Not sure that North's initial pass makes this more sensible than otherwise, but as three notrump feels dirty with no long, quality suit and east likely to have a decent suit, and three diamonds would be just a different gamble, it's this or a sage pass."

Double   70   BWP 15%   BWS 20%  IAC No solvers
IAC solvers were also not of a mind to make the off-shape double.  Not so with the Panel.  Sartaj Hans "Actions like thse are often indefensible in print yet successful in practice.  Some volatility is expected in any action in such a situation.  We rate to do very poorly some of the time by doubling, but that is also true of the alternatives.  These choices come down to personal taste and experience; articulation of supporting logic is too difficult when the array of possibilities is vast."  Exactly why I am disinclined to double in this situation, because when I do step out of line, I do get whacked; I wish I had Sartaj's luck.  Don Stack says "With a third club, this would be an easy three notrump.  I hope that partner can bid four clubs as a choice of majors (or three spades, so that an overbid of three notrump can be made).  If partner jumps to four spades, I'll hope he can make it.  Very tempting to pass, but if there is a three-club bid at all tables, I suspect that no one will pass."  Sami Kehela also relies on luck: "When making a flawed takeout double, I follow in the footsteps of Walter Avarelli, a mainstay of the Italian Blue Team, who never came to grief after one of his unprepared interventions."

3 NT   50   BWP 1 Panelist   BWS 18%  IAC 1 solver
Shades of Hamman's rule, even Todd finds the KQ of clubs, missing a small friend, too unappetizing to bid 3 NT.  But there is Phillip Alder making the bid because "Double with only two spades looks too dangerous." 

Pass   90   BWP 33%   BWS 23%  IAC 50%
Now for the Panel's other co-plurality choice:  Pass.  Barry Bragin argues that "Unlike (B), this 17-point hand can't accurately be described in one stroke and, with the opponents being one level higher, playing for the likely plus on defense will outscore any pair that tries to guess the right course of action (double, three diamonds, three hearts, three notrump) and picks the wrong one - if a right one exists."  Others pointed directly at the similarity to the previous problem.  For example, Kevin Rosenberg "Vulnerable at matchpoints, for similar reasons to those on Problem B, a heavy pass is probably percentage.  Second choice, three diamonds."  While BluBayou provided a commercial interlude:  "For now,   same position as  problem B!    Together,  these two make the 8th and 9th poster-children in this year for the discarded  WEISS DOUBLE   ;)"  Back to the main discussion.  Danny Kleinman identifies the specifics:  "Hearts too short, diamonds too weak to bid; lack of a courtier to accompany the club royals makes three notrump far too risky.  Pass and hope to beat three clubs, perhaps more than one."  JCreech adds to the picture: "A passed-hand partner, an inadequate NT stopper without help from partner (perhaps Jxx), and the spades missing in action.  A lot of problems if I enter the action.  More than 40% of the HCPs are in my hand, so it becomes difficult for partner to balance if I choose to pass.  It is matchpoints, so passing may be my last chance at a plus position."  Steve Beatty thinks "Taking action is probably right, but guessing which move to make is the problem.  Partner is a passed hand, and vulnerable third-seat preempts are sometimes heavy, so I'll hope for the best by passing.  Occasionally, partner will save me (but not very often)."  Carl Hudecek: "Partner is a passed hand, and it is possible that we can beat three clubs, which may be our best chance for a plus score."  Joe Grue: "If partner can double, I'll bid four hearts.  East is vulnerable and might go down two."

This concludes Part 1.  Parts 2 and 3 will follow as I have time.  Meanwhile, next month's problems have been published and are awaiting your contribution.  Providing your answers are welcome; providing your reasoning behind the answers are even more welcome.  Just jump in where you feel comfortable.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2022, 02:55:38 PM by jcreech »

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2022, 12:41:33 PM »
October MSC SUMMARY (Part 2)– Bart Bramley, Director

Problem D  3 !S (Hoki, Peuco, Masse24, JCreech)

Imps  Neither side vulnerable
You, South, hold:

♠ A 6 2    Q J 5    K 10 3 2   ♣ 6 5 4

——      ——       ——       1
  Pass      1 NT      2 ♠       Pass
   ?         
What call do you make?

Now we are playing IMPs where it is more important to bid and make your games.  The opponents bid first, but LHO may be bidding weakly, while partner barged in despite our hand declining to bid over the opener.  Our hand, a flat 10 count with three-card support, with the only other feature of note being a slowish stop in opener's suit.  What to do?  Show a good raise with a cue-bid, show the stopper by trying 2 NT, show a modicum of support by making a simple raise, or leave well-enough alone and pass (after all, with all this bidding, game is unlikely). 

Pass   90   BWP 33%   BWS 32%  38%
There was a strong contingent of passers.  Ross Grabel describes the choice well:  "The values are soft, the distribution is poor, and I don't want to punish partner, yada, yad, yada.  easier at matchpoints than at imps, and, yes, more than one opponent may be light or fooling around - if so, they got me.  At least we're not vulnerable."  Similarly, BluBayou "I see no reason to believe  the TNT is even 17, nor even 16,  so both sides competing to the 3 level  is bush-league.   Also  no reason to think opps have only 16 highs between them so that we need to bid game and make it to avoid a bottom.  'They' didn't ask  what we should do if one oppie managed to squeek  '3 Clubs' so  I am comfortable here in our spade partial." Carl Hudecek thinks "With no ruffing values, I'm not raising spades - yet.  Missing a nonvulnerable game at imps is not the end of the world."  Danny Kleinman: "The slow heart stopper suggests two notrump, but a sound minimum opposite, e.g.6=3=2=2 with 100 honors in spades plus an ace and a queen in the minors, doesn't assure any contract beyond two spades."  Peuco: "I think odds do not favor game"  Don Stack says "We don't owe a nonvulnerable two-spade intervenor any advance.  I'd raise if vulnerable or if the opponents competed further."  Some are even more cautious than Don.  Sami Kehela is "Giving partner lots of leeway, which I might regret."  Kit Woolsey thinks "It is more likely that this the limit of the deal than we have a game."  And Zia fears a partner he knows only too well:  "If I were North, we might already be too high."

2 NT   70   BWP 15%   BWS 8%  IAC No solvers
Some were swayed by the shape and the stopper.  For example, Pratap Rajadhyaksha said "Looks like notrump, feels like notrump.  Make a game suggestion.  Second choice pass."  Augie Boehm felt it "Brings the heart values into play, and a spade contract isn't excluded."  While Allan Graves felt he needed to act because "The forest has more merry thieves out and about than in the old days."

3 ♠   100   BWP 48%   BWS 52%  IAC 50%
The plurality choice for the Panel and majority choice for the solvers involved not giving full weight to the 10 HCPs.  Sartaj Hans says it well:  "The hand is too strong to pass.  A voluntary raise to the three-level in an auction where we may be jeopardizing our plus score is a serious action.  Thus, this holding is not worth a cue-bid.  Two notrump may easily be the winning action, but it feels unilateral."  JCreech "I like to give partner a boost when they overcall and I have a fit.  I have decent hand for having passed, but there is no shape, some of the values are soft in the opponent's suit, so I will downgrade to a simple raise instead of upgrading to a limit or better."  Hoki: "In these days of lighter and lighter opening bids I trust partner and make a courtesy raise."  Steve Beatty writes:  "Pass or two notrump could be a winner, depending on the value of the heart holding.  I will bid a middle-of-the-road three spades and hope that partner is not too light."  Joe Grue: "Not quite the values for a cue-bid.  No one is vulnerable, so it't reasonable to pass as well, but I'm bidding."  Masse24 "Pass seems too timid. That leaves me with a simple raise."   Phillip Alder says "Holding nine losers, being nonvulnerable, and having a potentially-useless heart holding, I think I should pass - and I would at matchpoints.  But I will give partner a gentle nudge."  Roy Welland: "Pass culd easily be right, but after passing on the last two hands, I'm afraid of ruining my reputation as an overbidder."  Robert Wolff: "If playing against a pair known for chicanery, I would chance three hearts, but I prefer a single raise.  Much to dangerous to pass."  David Berkowitz points out that "Partner is allowed to have something, and to suggest notrump I would need a different heart holding.  Should North suggest notrump, I will be delighted."  Mike Passell: "Shape and values make the cue-bid less attractive.  Two notrump could easily be the winner, as could pass."  I tend to agree with Kevin Rosenberg in his assessment: "Seems pretty standard.  One could pass and hope to buy it, but there are enough values for game to be possible."

3    30   BWP 0   BWS 7%  IAC 1 solver
More aggressive than the pack comes YleeXotee: "very obviously a cue bid raise here."  The HCPs and trump length are right for this bid, and who knows, at the table it could be right.

Problem E  Redbl (Peuco, CCR3, Hoki, BluBayou, BabsG, JCreech)

Imps  East-West vulnerable
You, South, hold:

♠ K J 7 6 5 2    A 7 3    5   ♣ A Q 2

1 ♠        2         2 ♠      Double
   ?         
What call do you make?

You have opened, LHO overcalled in your singleton, partner raised, and LHO made a responsive double showing the other two suits.  How ambitious are you?  You could decide that there is a lot of bidding going on, and game is probably the limit.  On the other hand, you are looking at second-round control of the opponent's suit and first-round control of the other side suits.  Your trump suit is ragged, but it is six and partner did raise freely.  There are a number of minimums that could produce slam, but how to elicit the needed information?

Pass   60   BWP 1 Panelist   BWS 6% IAC No solvers
One possibility is to bid your cheapest game.  As Carl Hudecek points out, "Two spades double is game if it makes, right?  If they compete to three of a suit, I will bid three nonvulnerable spades."  I think his first call has merit, but his follow-up seems weak given the hand's potential.

4 ♠   90   BWP 30%   BWS 38%  No solvers
There was a strong contingent from the Bridge World, but IAC solvers did not buy into raising the hand to the spade game.  Before changing his mind, JCreech said "My hand has gone up with partner's raise and RHO's responsive double, but has it gone up enough to try for a thin slam?  It is possible to come up with hands with a reasonable chance if partner has a maximum or near maximum, but as more people at the table bounce in, the chances drop, particularly at this vulnerability.  I think a game is possible opposite most minimums, so I would rather be in game than not.  If I am wrong and the hand really belongs to the opponents because partner raised on a sub-minimum, then the opponents are guessing at a high level."  Panelist's left more for the imagination.  Mike Passell: "Gonna bid it over four hearts.  Gotta take up bidding room, plus I expect to make it."  Zia: "A quickie often has a happy ending."  Ross Grabel: "What I think I can make without giving any information away."  Eric Kokish: "Meckstroth would laugh at anyone who did anything else.  This is not a hand for science."  Sami Kehela: "Straightforward value bid.  Are you angling for four diamonds?"  Robert Wolff, though, did ponder an alternative: "The other possibility, redouble, might allow a profitable diamond fit established at a cheap level."

Alternatives do abound, from the invitational to the game forcing.

4    80   BWP 1 Panelist   BWS 0% IAC No solvers
Augie Boehm trots out a splinter:  It is "Easy to read and, like the Boy Scouts, one should be prepared."

3 ♠   60   BWP 1 Panelist   BWS 17% IAC No solvers
Danny Kleinman makes a simple invitation:  "Just enough extra to invite four spades, and no reason to emphasize any of the other suits."

3    90   BWP 19%   BWS 7%  IAC 1 solver
Several made help-suit game-tries in hearts.  Kevin Rosenberg says "If it were a vulnerable game, I would just bid it.  Here, I'll content myself with a game-try.  Hearts is where I want help most."  Roy Welland: "I want to avoid game opposite three low hearts."  YleeXotee: "I'm also going for a game try, but going 3h instead."  Pratap Rajadhyaksha and JoAnna Standsby both simply say, "Help-suit game-try."  While Phillip Alder thinks "We are nonvulnerable and six losers suggests making a game-try."

3    80   BWP 11%   BWS 4%  IAC 1 solver
Some cue-bid, but there is a question of whether the bid shows a control or is a game-try.  Mark Feldman seems to regard it as showing both:  "With a redouble available, three diamonds indicate diamond shortness.  If partner rebids three spades, I'll pass."  Others are less clear than Mark, but still regard it as a game-invitational bid.  Kit Woolsey thinks "There is no reason to blast to a no-play game if partner is light.  This is as good a game-try as anything else."  Masse24 regards it as a "Generic game try that highlights a possible 9-trick game."  Allan Graves: "If partner has length in diamonds, he can read my drift."

3 ♣   80   BWP 11%   BWS 15% IAC No solvers
Some bid 3 !CDon Stack says "Possibly this is a four-spade bid, but I will give partner a chance to accept a game-try or to make a counter try in a red suit.  This is a six-loser hand, so I need some help to make game."  Barry Bragin: "It's tempting to gobble up bidding spade with an immediate three spades, but opposite:  ♠ Qxxx    xx    xxx   ♣ Kxxx, I want to compete to four spades and get a club lead against an opposing five-level contract.  There is too much defense for an immediate four spades, as I want partner's input later in the auction."  Jeff Rubens argues "Sufficient offense and defense for a game-try.  Not redoubling suggests that some of the values are distributional."

Redouble   100   BWP 19%   BWS 13%  IAC 75%
This was an unusual occurrence; a different call was a clear plurality choice for the Panel, yet redouble got the nod for the top score.  Although not explained, I have a theory:  it may have been because 4 !S was a unilateral action, while the Panel, by-and-large, were looking for cooperative actions, and among the cooperative actions, redouble was the top vote getter.  Hoki "One way to invite game; am prepared to stop in 3♠ if partner is minimum."  Here is what the moderator has to say:  "Redouble allows partner to bid game with appropriate hands and gives us a chance at a penalty, an option unavailable after any other try.  A redouble does not create a force at the three-level; however, if I later compete to three spades, partner can reevaluate."  Steve Beatty points out that "Partner can easily have four diamonds, and I want to position him to double three diamonds if LHO rebids the suit.  I can bid three spades later on other auctions, and we may reach game when it is right."  JCreech "4 !S was too unilateral, 3 !D strikes me as showing a stronger hand.  Redouble is the cheapest game bid, and perhaps a route to a slam."  Wrong Jim, as Carl noted above, passing is the cheapest game action, but redouble has other benefits without leaving the comforts of the two-level game.  Joe Grue says "I don't normally act like this, but I might as well give partner a chance to nail the opponents."  David Berkowitz: "If partner lights them up, I will be okay with that; we can always bid spades later."  Peuco feels "XX fits like a golf glove"  While BluBayou thinks it will "Establish a force--if they rebid something above our 3 Spades"

Problem F  Dbl  (BabsG, Masse24, YleeXotee, JCreech, BluBayou, Hoki, CCR3, Peuco)

Imps  East-West vulnerable
You, South, hold:

♠ K 7    A K 5 3 2    K 9 6   ♣ K J 9

——      ——      ——       1 ♠
   ?         
What call do you make?

RHO has opened, and you have 17 HCPs, a balanced hand, and a stopper, what could be easier to find than a 1 NT overcall?  Throwing a crimp into that choice are little things like a good five-card heart suit, a stopper that consists only of a doubleton king, and Kxx support for each of the minors; thus a heart overcall and double each have some basis for consideration.

Double   100   BWP 44%   BWS 33%  IAC 100%
Zia declares "This is clear.  Think: ♠ xxx    x    QJxxxx   ♣ Axx.  Meckwell taught me this 30 years ago.  Italians wold bid one notrump - I'm not convinced."  Glad he clarified that so we could finish the section, except, maybe it is not so clear cut outside of IAC.  JCreech says "My options seem to be overcall the hearts, an underbid, overcall NT, suggesting a better stopper than I possess, or double, helping me to describe the strength of the hand and still allowing me to bid the hearts later.  However, double allows the opponents to make rebids uncomfortably high, so it becomes a risk."  BluBayou: "Like Jim said, above..."  Sartaj Hans: "I don't mind bidding two hearts on a five-card suit, but no shape, poor texture, pay ability in other strains, and possibly missing a high-card power game are reasons for doubling."  Masse24 also focuses on the heart suit: "Several on this panel like six card suits to overcall at the two level. That heart suit barely looks like five."  As does YleeXotee: "strongly considered the heart bid, but settled on X"  Barry Bragin thinks "The most-likely games for our side are three notrump by North and four hearts.  The alternatives to doubling do not keep both those option in paly.  So I could say that double is the most ... adaptable, or versatile, or fluid - what's the word I'm looking for?"  And Allan Graves with the assist: "Most-flexible approach on a hand offering flawed direct actions."  Kit Woolsey is already thinking of his next bid: "I will be comfortable bidding two hearts over two of a minor by partner."  Peuco laments that the "S stopper not enough for NT bid"  While David Berkowitz brings us back to the simplicity of this problem: "Ho hum; seen this hand a zillion times.  Cannot believe anyone would bid one notrump.  It is double or two hearts."  Except he left out how he chose between the two.

2    90   BWP 41%   BWS 53% IAC No solvers
If the double is so flexible, why should you think about the overcall instead?  Robert Wolff brings these points to the table: "A bit too strong for this, but a likely sequence is two spades by LHO, back around to me.  If I doubled initially, it would be very risky to bid three hearts (or very awkward to double again and then pass three of a minor).  I'd rather overcall and then double back in.  An initial one no trump is possible by inferior."  Danny Kleinman thinks it "A poster child for the sequence two hearts followed by a double of two spades."  Ross Grabel: "Close, but this may make it easier than double to handle a two-spade bid."  Roy Welland "Hoping to double after two spades back to me, but we could miss a game if partner doesn't have heart fit."

1 NT   70   BWP 15%   BWS 13% IAC No solvers
And while David could not "believe anyone would bid one notrump," Eric Kokish brings some interesting thoughts to the problem:  "Not enough information to point to two hearts instead.  Slow minor-suit values suggest a suit-contract might well be better, but double will leave the fifth heart on the shelf.  Often it's easier to get out of notrump than into notrump later when we belong there."  JoAnna Stansby wants to "Get across the strength and character of the hand."  While Carl Hudecek must be praying for: "On a good day, partner will bid Stayman.  I'm not overcalling at the two-level with a five-card suit."  The NT overcall does simplify a lot of things, including the defense.  Kx just not good enough for me without tricks ready to run, but then I have not had the same level of success as those making the bid.

This concludes Part 2.  I hope you are finding some useful take aways.  I will return with the final part as I am able, but do not forget about next month's problem set.  All contributions are welcome, and there truly are no wrong answers.  At the table there may be, but these are hypotheticals, so there is not cost attached to a less than optimal selection (and no partner or teammates to explain when you have a brain fart).
« Last Edit: October 16, 2022, 12:47:04 PM by jcreech »

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2022, 02:36:38 PM »
October MSC SUMMARY (Part 3)– Bart Bramley, Director

Problem G  2 !S   (None)

Imps  Neither side vulnerable
You, South, hold:

♠ K 9 6    J 10 7 6 5    K J 8 7 3   ♣ —

Pass      Pass      1 ♠        2
 ?         
What call do you make?

Partner is a third seat opener in spades, RHO has overcalled 2 !D, and you are looking at Kxx support, a void in diamonds, and 8 HCPs.  On this basis you could justify either a simple raise or a cue-bid showing a limit-raise, depending on how optimistic your valuation might be.  Alternatively, you could pass, hoping for a reopening double and counting on three or four tricks from your fine diamond suit.  But what would a direct double from you be?  Negative, to show the hearts, or penalty, so that you do not need hope for a reopening double. 

Pass   70   BWP 15%   BWS 26%  IAC 50%
On this problem, the IAC clearly had alust for blood.  JCreech thinks "Despite the spade fit, my diamond length and spots cry out for passing, hoping for partner to reopen with a double.  If. we are not defending, then I will show my spade fit and decent values."  Peuco: "want to hear P hopefully X"  BluBayou "Something always goes sideways for me when I try for the penalty-pass with this sort of hand..."  Although there was some Panel accompaniment, you could sense more reluctance in their choice.  Steve Beatty: "I generally do not see a low-level penalty with such promising values for other contracts, but there are several diamond tricks on defense, and pass does not necessarily prevent us from reaching hearts or spades."  Don Stack is "Hoping that partner reopens with a double and we end in two diamonds doubled.  Probably that is a pipe dream, since it looks as if the opponents may have a big club fit (although they will need to find it at the three-level).  I hate not raising spades, but a raise to two doesn't look like enough and an invitational raise with only three trumps seems like too much."  Roy Welland thinks "The hand is much better for hearts (or for two diamonds, should partner pass), than for spades, so I'll wait and see what happens."  But for Joe Grue it is "Not close.  With reversed red suits, I might bid three diamonds."

Double   80   BWP 19%   BWS 6% IAC No solvers
The negative double drew a bit more attention from the Panel, but with significantly less from the solvers.  Pratap Rajadhyaksha feels it has a dual purpose:  "Brings hearts into the picture.  If I later bid spades, it will show a three-card invitational raise.  This hand has improved on the auction."  Similarly, Kit Woolsey says "Partner might have four hearts; if so, we belong in hearts.  Otherwise, I can bid three spades next, which will be about the right evaluation."  Mark Feldman thinks "Hearts could easily be a better strain than spades, while bidding two hearts could lose spades.  Doubling, keeping both strains in play, seems clear."  Eric Kokish says "Once I give up on two diamonds doubled, I might as well try for hearts."  Meanwhile Zia seems to be channeling Zero Mostel (from A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum) "Something for everyone.  Hearts and spades and might steal the opponent's clubs.  And might we make hearts rather than spades."

2    50   BWP 1 Panelist   BWS 3% IAC No solvers
If you want to show hearts, you can't get much more direct than bidding them outright yourself.  Carl Hudecek thinks it "Better than a negative double, because it brings an eight-card heart fit into play."  However, as a passed hand, I think the bid is risky.  Mark is right that by bidding hearts you could lose the spades.  I can easily see partner with a minimum and doubleton heart, passing.

3    60   BWP 11%   BWS 15%  IAC 50%
In the IAC, if you were not going for the throat, you were pushing your eight count with a void to be a good spade raise.  Hoki says "Support with support; I would hate to have to face partner later and explain why I couldn't find it in me to admit of fine trump support."  Masse24 thinks "Game is possible. I need to let partner in on it."  YleeXotee, though, waffles: "I hate this bid, but this is what I settled on. probably pass is best."  Again, a small contingent of Panelists join the party.  Sartaj Hans: "Crazy things happen on hands with voids.  Best to start by supporting partner as quickly as possible."  Phillip Alder: "In BWS, the hand is too strong to settle for two spades."  While JoAnna Stansby shows her pessimism, she still pushes hard: "Partner may not have enough hearts to reopen with a double."

2 ♠   100   BWP 52%   BWS 47% IAC No solvers
Most of the Panel and a strong plurality of the BW solvers were less pushy, making only a simple raise.  Jeff Rubens: "Unlikely that partner will pass out two diamonds, so I'll start by limiting the hand."  Danny Kleinman bids "What I'd have bid had East passed.  The overcall improved the hand for defense but not for offense."  Barry Bragin: "Not enough information to decide if the hand is worth more.  Partner is allowed to open very light in third seat, not vulnerable.  If the auction is still live when it gests back to me, I'll be able to make a more-descriptive call."  Allan Graves is "Establishing a solid ground in case of futher action."  David Berkowitz says "The fun may start later; for the moment, I support."  Augie Boehm cautions:  "Even a demon doubler (and I'm one) ought to worry about defending with a possible double major-suit fit."  As does Mike Passell: "No trap pass - too many bad things could happen."

Problem H  !D 4 (YleeXotee)

Imps  North-South vulnerable
You, South, hold:

♠ 8 4    5    K 9 8 6 4   ♣ A 10 9 6 2

——      ——       Pass       1
  Pass      2         Pass     4
  Pass      Pass      Pass
What is your opening lead?

What do we know about the opponent's hands?  Not much except they have a heart fit and RHO thinkks they should be in game.  Whether this assessment is based on high cards, distribution or both, is still unclear.  So where does this lead us?  Probably to Todd and his typical declaration of "I hate lead problems!"

4   100   BWP 44%   BWS 24%  IAC 1 solver
Most Panelists went with a diamond; if they followed BWS guidance about spot leads, they led the lowest odd card.  As YleeXotee points out, IAC did not pay much attention to that instruction: "this seems normal, but I see lots of people leading the 6 for some reason. I can't bring myself to lead the doubleton spade."  Danny Kleiman observes "No lead is safe, and a low diamond is most constructive.  Catching partner with the ace or queen is not too much to ask."  Sartaj Hans thinks "In an auction where declarer may have a long suit, it is usually best to attack."  Barry Bragin: "Any choice could potentially blow the setting trick.  I pick a diamond, because it could lead to a ruff in partner's hand (and I have a quick entry) or it could start a forcing defense if partner's trumps are strong."  Joe Grue: "Don't like leading from a low doubleton with only one trump."  Eric Kokish comments that "It's popular to lead random doubletons, but that rarely has worked for me and neither the singleton trump nor the club ace stands out."  For Ross Grabel "Not a spade, not a heart, and definitely not the club ace, so I'll settle on a diamond."

6   90   BWP 11%   BWS 11%  IAC 50%
Continuing with the technically inappropriate fourth best, we find the bulk of IAC.  BluBayou: "Fourth in longest & strongest (but not underleading in  Ace suit) What else??"  Similarly, we have unrelenting Panelists as well.  Robert Wolff "Not proud of this, but what else is new when it comes to an opening-lead choice without any real clue?  My second choice, the eight of spades, is, at least to me, horrible, but better than the other eleven."  Pratap Rajadhyaksha shrugs: "Total guess.  Anything could be right or wrong.  The euros are leading a trump, and they could very well be right."  And Sami Kehela says it succinctly: "Reluctantly."

♠ 8   90   BWP 44%   BWS 46%  IAC 1 solver
The minority choice was the top spade.  JoAnna Standsby says "Anything else feels too likely to blow a trick.  Showing spade shortness may cause declarer to misguess trumps."  Allan Graves is more specific:  "If a diamond lead loses a trick, it probably isn't coming back."  Steve Beatty "The hand does not scream that tricks will get away if we don't take them quickly, so I don't want to guess a minor, and I don't want to expose partner's possible vulnerable trump holding.  North did not bid two spades, so a spade lead might not work out well either.  Masse24 "Passive. Sorry partner! An attempt to make sure partner also hates my leads."  Kit Woolsey: "Since there doesn't appear to be a threat of discards, I'll go for the safe lead."  Augie Boehm speculates: "Might hit partner, avoids a minor-sut commitment, and may stampede declarer into cashing high trumps rather than seeking a safety play."

This concludes Part 3.  I hope you found it worthwhile.  The new MSC contest has started.  Please participate within IAC if not submitting an entry via The Bridge World.