Author Topic: 2022 November MSC  (Read 3818 times)

Masse24

• View Profile
2022 November MSC
« on: September 02, 2022, 01:07:53 PM »
NOVEMBER 2022 MSC
Deadline: SEPTEMBER 30 at 11:59 p.m. (ET)

Submit your NOVEMBER MSC responses here: The Bridge World - MASTER SOLVERS CLUB

BWS 2017 System: BWS 2017
BWS 2017 POLLS, CHANGES AND ADDITIONS: BWS 2017 - Polls, Changes, and Additions
  • Bridge World Standard 2017 (BWS or BWS2017) is effective beginning with the January 2017 Master Solvers' Club problems. This page shows (1) the results of the panelist polls that were used to adjust the system; and (2) the changes in and the additions to Bridge World Standard 2001 (BWS2001) that were made.
    In the listings of the questions and answers, an asterisk indicates the BWS2001 agreement; the proportion of the expert votes for each item, rounded to the nearest percent, is shown in brackets.

IAC Forum MSC Scores

« Last Edit: October 02, 2022, 11:19:36 AM by Masse24 »
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

Masse24

• View Profile
Re: 2022 November MSC
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2022, 09:43:38 PM »
PROBLEM A: Are undos permitted in the MSC? I'd like to go back and pass 1 !S.

It seems partner has some sort of maximum non jump-shift three suiter. Maybe:  !S KTxx !H KQT !D AKJxx !C x or similar?

It seems my void offers the potential for an additional ruff, so I'd like to put it in 3 !S. But I worry partner may take that as encouragement (or just take a flyer) and put us in game. I generally steer clear of Moysians, but it seems to have found me this time. The other choice is to pass 3 !H--get out quick in a misfit. Knowing the panel, who generally bid aggressively, there will be a few who think the Moysian is fine and just go to game.
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

blubayou

• IACAdmins
  • lifelong director [1977-2010] and haunter of ACBL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2022, 04:51:22 AM »
continuing my trend toward collecting 70's or LESS....I am co-operating as if were not short the 4th spade!  four clubs cannot be disrespected,  given  that the rebid was a single raise
pray for frqeindly trump drops  if this forward move  sends pard over the edge
« Last Edit: September 09, 2022, 04:56:20 PM by blubayou »
often it is better to beg forgiveness, than ask permission

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2022, 12:05:03 PM »
Below are my first blush thoughts.  Unless I have an epiphany, I feel like I am headed for a 450 this month with an honor roll that dips into 650 or below.

Problem A:  3 !S  Close to abstaining because this auction has gone from bad to worse.  I take it back to spades so the tap will be in the short hand and to discourage partner.  At least the worst that can happen is a zero.

Problem B:  2 NT  I hate this bid, and will look for something else, but it describes the strength, shape, and near stopper.  Maybe I will get lucky and either find partner with an honor or LHO with a void.

Problem C:  Pass  A passed-hand partner, an inadequate NT stopper without help from partner (perhaps Jxx), and the spades missing in action.  A lot of problems if I enter the action.  More than 40% of the HCPs are in my hand, so it becomes difficult for partner to balance if I choose to pass.  It is matchpoints, so passing may be my last chance at a plus position.

Problem D:  3 !S  I like to give partner a boost when they overcall and I have a fit.  I have decent hand for having passed, but there is no shape, some of the values are soft in the opponent's suit, so I will downgrade to a simple raise instead of upgrading to a limit or better.

Problem E:  4 !S  My hand has gone up with partner's raise and RHO's responsive double, but has it gone up enough to try for a thin slam?  It is possible to come up with hands with a reasonable chance if partner has a maximum or near maximum, but as more people at the table bounce in, the chances drop, particularly at this vulnerability.  I think a game is possible opposite most minimums, so I would rather be in game than not.  If I am wrong and the hand really belongs to the opponents because partner raised on a sub-minimum, then the opponents are guessing at a high level.

Problem F:  Dbl My options seem to be overcall the hearts, an underbid, overcall NT, suggesting a better stopper than I possess, or double, helping me to describe the strength of the hand and still allowing me to bid the hearts later.  However, double allows the opponents to make rebids uncomfortably high, so it becomes a risk.

Problem G:  Pass  Despite the spade fit, my diamond length and spots cry out for passing, hoping for partner to reopen with a double.  If. we are not defending, then I will show my spade fit and decent values.

Problem H:  !D 6  Almost anything could be right.  My gut said lead a trump, but that might pickle partner's holding, and there is nothing to indicate the need to cut down ruffs except my own shape.  I will revisit this decision before submitting.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 10:16:25 PM by jcreech »
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

blubayou

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2022, 11:32:15 PM »
Problem A:>>   WHAT was I thinking??  Assuming pard's raise is passable, it would be darned lucky  for the 4-3 spade game to come home.   But spade partial  is the place to try to stop.
                         ---3 Spades ---
Problem B:>>  I have 2!D booked.  If partner has some help,  they are down maybe 200 if it is serious help.                             --- pass---
Problem C:>>  For now,   same position as  problem B!    Together,  these two make the 8th and 9th poster-children in this year for the discarded  WEISS DOUBLE   ;)
                        ---pass---
Problem D:>>  I see no reason to believe  the TNT is even 17, nor even 16,  so both sides competing to the 3 level  is bush-league.   Also  no reason to think opps have only 16 highs between them so that we need to bid game and make it to avoid a bottom.  "They" didn't ask  what we should do if one oppie managed to squeek  " 3 Clubs" so  I am comfortable here in our spade partial.
                       ---pass---
Problem E:>>  Establish a force--if they rebid something above our 3 Spades
                     ---Redouble--- 
Problem F:>>  Like Jim said, above...
                      ---Double---
Problem G:>>  Something always goes sideways for me when I try for the penalty-pass with this sort of hand...
                     ---3 Diamonds---
Problem H:>>  Fourth in longest & strongest (but not underleading in  Ace suit) What else??
                     ---Diamond 6 ---
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 10:06:06 PM by blubayou »

peuco

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2022, 05:47:38 PM »

A. 3S S is the suit to play
B. 2NT Agree 100% with Jim
C. 3D thou I may make change to pass
D. Pass I think odds do not favor game
E. XX fits like a golf glove
F. X S stopper not enough for NT bid
G. Pass want to hear P hopefully X
H. D 6

blubayou

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2022, 12:44:26 PM »
Given that there are 4 "unanimous" answers answers this month, SOME solver will have his/her guesses on the other for come up "heads"  and scor the elusive 800!  Probabably More than one somebody.

hoki

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2022, 09:06:31 PM »
Okay, I'll change my answer of 2 on F to double so as not to break consensus.
However, at matchpoints I would risk bidding the major.

On the others:

B 2NT: A singleton honour with West or any honour with partner is enough to create a stopper.

D 3: In these days of lighter and lighter opening bids I trust partner and make
a courtesy raise.

E Redouble: One way to invite game; am prepared to stop in 3 if partner is minimum.

G 3: Support with support; I would hate to have to face partner later and explain
why I couldn't find it in me to admit of fine trump support.

PROBLEM A: Pass
PROBLEM B: 2 Notrump
PROBLEM C: 3 Diamonds
PROBLEM D: 3 Spades
PROBLEM E: Redouble
PROBLEM F: Double
PROBLEM G: 3 Diamonds
PROBLEM H: Diamond 6

« Last Edit: October 01, 2022, 12:42:37 AM by Masse24 »

bAbsG

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2022, 03:45:50 PM »

SOLVER: Babs Giesbrecht
       Canada

Your Solutions for the November 2022 Contest 
-------------------
PROBLEM A: 3 Spades
PROBLEM C: Pass
PROBLEM D: Pass
PROBLEM G: Pass

blubayou

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2022, 07:45:06 PM »
Nov. 2022 Contest[SOLUTIONS FOR: Jock McQuade,3180 NW Division #106,Gresham OR 97030U.S.A.
PROBLEM A: 3 Spades        *
PROBLEM B: Pass       
PROBLEM C: Pass               *
PROBLEM D: Pass               *
PROBLEM E: Redouble         @
PROBLEM F: Double             @
PROBLEM G: 3 Diamonds     *
PROBLEM H: Diamond 6       @

"*" =  "no regrets
             "@" = "landslide winner"    :D
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 07:58:53 PM by blubayou »

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2022, 03:37:45 AM »

Problem H:>>  Fourth in longest & strongest (but not underleading in  Ace suit) What else??
                     ---Diamond 6 ---
Although I am planning to lead a trump . . . Diamond 4?

Opening Leads
Against suit contracts:
(ii) Spot-card leads: third-highest from even length; lowest from odd length

blubayou

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2022, 05:48:42 AM »
Oh,BOY!  A whole battalion of our most persistent participants  are gonna take a serious hit for not realizing BWS plays odd-best  from Hxx(x,x,x) !  Can it be that leading low something from a long suit has NOT even bin on the radar for problem H --  for a solid three YEARS?   Someone with a pile of back issues  please do some leg-work on this
               --sigh--

peuco

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2022, 04:14:46 PM »
SOLUTIONS FOR:
Frank

PROBLEM C: 3 Notrump

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2022, 09:17:13 PM »
NOVEMBER MSC GUESSES

SOLUTIONS FOR:
Todd Holes

PROBLEM A: 3 Notrump
I had a chat with Hamman. A misfit in all suits, but maybe we can build our tricks in the Moysians?

Pass is also tempting at these colors.

PROBLEM C: 3 Diamonds
This one stumps me. Pass? 3NT? 3H?

Pass seems too timid. That leaves me with a simple raise.

PROBLEM E: 3 Diamonds
Generic game try that highlights a possible 9-trick game.

Several on this panel like six card suits to overcall at the two level. That heart suit barely looks like five.

PROBLEM G: 3 Diamonds
Game is possible. I need to let partner in on it.

PROBLEM H: Spade 8
Passive. Sorry partner! An attempt to make sure partner also hates my leads.

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2022, 12:46:48 AM »
Two changes from my initial thoughts.  Hopefully they will be improvements.

SOLUTIONS FOR:
James Creech
Fredericksburg VA 22407
U.S.A.

PROBLEM C: Pass
PROBLEM E: Redouble  4 !S was too unilateral, 3 !D strikes me as showing a stronger hand.  Redouble is the cheapest game bid, and perhaps a route to a slam.
PROBLEM H: Spade 4  I think the trump is the safest lead, but no lead strikes me as being particularly good.
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran