Author Topic: 2022 October MSC  (Read 4285 times)

jcreech

• View Profile
Re: 2022 October MSC
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2022, 10:02:03 PM »
I had two changes from my initial thoughts. 

SOLUTIONS FOR:
James Creech
Fredericksburg VA 22407
U.S.A.

PROBLEM A: 3 Diamonds
PROBLEM B: 4 Spades
PROBLEM C: Double  I chickened out of my earlier pass.  I have too many points to sit back quietly and double is the most flexible call.  I still fear the 3-3, and to a lesser extent the 4-3 fit on this hand, but so be it.
PROBLEM D: 2 Spades
PROBLEM E: 2 Clubs  I give Todd credit for this switch.  Not really pleased with the cue-bid here, but other choices leave me less satisfied.  3 !H is the best description, but it may not lead to the best contract.  The mark-time bid may best.
PROBLEM F: 3 Diamonds
PROBLEM G: 2 Clubs
PROBLEM H: Club Ace
« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 11:57:17 AM by jcreech »
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

ccr3

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2022, 10:33:34 PM »

Your Solutions for the October 2022 Contest   
-------------------
PROBLEM A: Pass
PROBLEM B: 4 Spades
PROBLEM C: Pass
PROBLEM D: Double
PROBLEM E: 2 Hearts
PROBLEM G: 3 Diamonds
PROBLEM H: Club Ace

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2022, 01:10:50 PM »
October Results

Hoki and Masse24 led the IAC solvers with 700.  JCreech was third with 660.  Masse24 and Hoki also made the MSC Honor Roll! 

NAMEBW-SCORERANKMPs
Hoki     700   1   30
Masse24     700   1   30
JCreech     660   3   10

Also participating this month were:  BabsG, BluBayou, CCR3, MsPhola, Peuco, VeredK, WackoJack, YleeXotee.

Congratulations to all!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 03:27:02 PM by jcreech »

yleexotee

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2022, 02:07:30 PM »
PROBLEM A: 3 Diamonds
PROBLEM B: 3 Notrump
PROBLEM C: Double
PROBLEM D: 2 Spades
PROBLEM E: 3 Hearts
PROBLEM G: 3 Diamonds
PROBLEM H: Spade 10

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2022, 03:08:45 PM »

PROBLEM E: 2 Clubs  I give Todd credit for this switch.  Not really pleased with the cue-bid here, but other choices leave me less satisfied.  3 !H is the best description, but it may not lead to the best contract. 

Difficult month.

This is the only problem of the eight that I felt confident about.
Unfortunately, I did not pull the trigger on the somewhat similar choice of 3 !C on "F." I saw the efficacy of 3 !C since it allowed partner to sign off in 3 !D. 2NT lied about a stopper. 3 !H misdescribed suit length and strength. But I went with the timid, "I don't know what to do" choice of 3 !D.
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

blubayou

• IACAdmins
  • lifelong director [1977-2010] and haunter of ACBL
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2022, 04:53:23 PM »
Time for me to resume playing Parcheesi !  TWENTYFOUR of 27 staff  see  2 clubs as a waiting bid--and I thought it was an interesting but unsanctioned  "flyer"   ::)  .   Somebody else will have to post the early Quick-and-Dirtys  this month.  All my lead-off rants accomplished was to lure a couple of you GOOD  bridgers into  cashing out on the slam lead problem  thus missing the TOP of BW honor roll. ( Unless you heard the thundering hoofbeats   of the triple squeeze  all on your own...hope-hope)
often it is better to beg forgiveness, than ask permission

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2022, 05:34:16 PM »
All my lead-off rants accomplished was to lure a couple of you GOOD  bridgers into  cashing out on the slam lead problem  thus missing the TOP of BW honor roll. ( Unless you heard the thundering hoofbeats   of the triple squeeze  all on your own...hope-hope)

I will admit that my knee-jerk reaction was to lead the !S 10 (and had I done that, would have tied with Todd and Oliver at the top of the IAC), but then I looked again at the auction, saw the rebid of diamonds and thought about how many cards I would have to discard.  It was not a pretty thought!  I didn't actually say to myself squeeze, but I did think about the fact that it might get hard to find pitches after five or six diamonds coming at me.  Although I need to wait on the commentary, it didn't seem to be of concern to 2/3's of the Panel.

blubayou

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2022, 09:27:35 PM »
hehehe -- in real life,  dummy had King SEVENTH---(gin)

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2022, 11:57:28 AM »
October MSC SUMMARY (Part 1)– Kit Woolsey, Director

Problem A  3 !D (VeredK, Hoki, MsPhola, BabsG, JCreech, Masse24, YleeXotee)

Matchpoints  Neither side vulnerable
You, South, hold:

♠ A Q J 9 7    3    K Q J 9 2   ♣ K 5

SOUTH   WEST   NORTH   EAST
  1 ♠       Pass      1 NT      Pass
  2        Pass      2         Pass
   ?         
What call do you make?

You have shown your two suits, and partner has advertised a different long suit and a weak hand.  What you haven't shown is your extra values, a stopper in the fourth suit, and the diamond length is not wholly clear.

Pass   80   Bridge World Panel (BWP) 22%   Bridge World solvers (BWS) 19%  Intermediate Advanced Club 36%
With no fit for partner's suit, and partner advertising a weak hand, perhaps it is time to bail.  Carl Hudecek thinks "To bid again would be a high crime.  Well, maybe a misdemeanor."  Phillip Alder says "Misfits are miserable."  Peuco says "i avoid bidding NT with singleton in p's suit"  Will Beall has a different take as he is "Just protecting our plus (I hope).  Partner had ways to show strength or a flexible hand."  But I think Rozanne and Bill Pollack have made the best analysis for passing:  "The pointed nines make this very tough.  Partner is very likely to hold six-plus hearts (suggesting  two hearts with five strong hearts isn't winning bridge).  His suit will wither on the vine if either of my suits is trumps. ... We'll go low and wish partner luck."  BluBayou:  "Partner 'promises' a weak-two in hearts;  We hope he does have one."  WackoJack:  "I take partner to have 6 hearts and likely one spade.  This leaves 4 card in the minors.  Most likely 1 !D +3 !C.  If partner does have 2 diamonds, then 3 !D could be a better contract than 2 !H, but I would not bet on that.  Pass looks the best bet." 

2 NT   70   BWP 15%   BWS 12%  IAC No solvers
One option to showing the extra values also highlights the stop in the unbid clubs.  John Diamond points all of this out:  "More accurate than three diamonds, with extra values and a club stopper."  Howard Weinstein says ""Two hearts might be right but could be wrong on strain or level, so I bid again, even at matchpoints.  Partner may have club length or values, and two notrump is more flexible and higher-scoring than three diamonds."  While John Carruthers thinks that "Success in notrump may depend on finding partner with a second club stop.  Two notrump is the most encouraging and optimistic effort; with an extra ace, I'll err on the side of incaution."  However, Karen Mccallum makes the choice because the alternative "Three diamonds would not be invitational, and the hand warrants a move towards game."  The moderator, Kit Woolsey, disagrees:  "With a weak distributional hand, opener could bid two spades, which North will not expect to be a six-card suit in a weak hand ..."

3    100   BWP 52%   BWS 62%  IAC 64%
Speaking of 3 !D, the bid is the most descriptive; it shows two good suits, and as the moderator pointed out, it does show something extra because, not only are you not passing, which you might with a partner showing weakness, but you also bypassed the spades to rebid the diamonds.  Larry Robbins thinks the hand is "Worth another try.  With the two nines, the hand has excellent trick-taking potential."  Daniel Korbel also thinks it is "Strong enough for a third bid."  Hoki:  "showing extras plus a real diamond suit."  Zach Grossack thinks "Two spades might be playable in a five-one fit, but the hand is just right for three diamonds, with extra values and strong suits."  Steve Robinson:  "Should show extra values, because South could pass two hearts with a minimum.  Without the king of clubs, I'd pass."  Zia:  "Shows a good hand but not quite strong enough for three diamonds last round."  David Berkowitz:  "This does not look like a dummy for two hearrts.  It looks like an invitational hand with spades and diamonds."  JCreech:  "I know that partner has essentially a weak two in hearts.  I do regret not making a jump shift on the previous round, aggressive as that might be.  The choices are pass, because this may be the only way partner's hand will be worth anything, or pushing forward with diamonds, still looking for the elusive fit.  It is matchpoints, so the pass is probably right, but my inclination is still to rebid the diamonds."  Masse24:  "Tempted to bid 2NT, but 3 !D is the best description."  Danny Kleinman also points out that "Two diamonds did not really show diamonds, and I have five strong ones.  Fearing a severe misfit, I'll restrain myself from doing more.  Ordinarily, I'd open one diamond with this hand, expecting partner to bid hearts, but North would read me for at least six diamonds if I then bid spades twice."

Problem B  4 !S  (CCR3, WackoJack, BabsG, JCreech, MsPhola, Hoki)

Matchpoints   Neither side vulnerable
You, South, hold:

♠ Q 10 9 2    A 5    A Q 3   ♣ J 4 3 2

——      3 ♣      Double    Pass
 ?         
What call do you make?

The opponents have preempted, and partner has made a takeout double in the direct seat.  You do have four trump, good general values, as well as a couple of bullets, so if you pass will it be enough?  If you do not think so, how do you proceed?

Pass   70   BWP 19%   BWS 13%  IAC 1 solver
There doesn't seem to be much unity among the passers.  Nik Demirev is prepared to be wrong:  "If partner has, e.g.: ♠ AKJx    Kxxx    Kxxx   ♣ x, I will apologize, but when he has a more-common hand-type or we are facing a six-card preempt (fairly common nowadays), we should do better defending."  Zia thinks "It depends on the preemptor.  We won't reach slam on most makes, and a four-spade bid is no thing of beauty.  Ten years ago, there would have been almost no passes; today, it will attract a majority but not unanimity."  Carl Hudecek considers it "A gamble in four spades club overruffs and a probable bad trump split loom.  We will score at least 300 and 500 looks very likely."  Zach Grossack is "Going for the money.  Might depend slightly on what I expect from this particular LHO.  Even though I am pretty sure that we have a game, it is not a given that partner has four spades, and it's not a given that I have a fully-stable club stopper." 

4 ♣   70   BWP 15%   BWS 13%  IAC No solvers
IAC shied away from the cue-bid.  I would have taken it to mean more than one place to play, but some of the Panel thought it may be a prelude to a slam try.  Fred Stewart plans the auction:  "Then four spades; close, but the aces are potentially huge."  Karen McCallum feels that "Four spades would not be enough facing a likely singleton or void in clubs.  Pass might produce only 300."  Eric Kokish waffles:  "This would normally deliver more than one suit.  Spades over North's diamond bid would deny four hearts but over either red suit it implies diamond length, so perhaps the right bid is four spades."  Larry Robbins has the best argument for the cue-bid:  "We could have a slam, although it may be difficult to reach. ... Over four diamonds or four hearts, I will bid four spades.  Bidding four spades after a cue-bid should be a bit stronger than a direct four-spade bid."

4 ♠   100   BWP 51%   BWS 56%  IAC 55%
Although Robbins may be right about the cue-bid showing extra strength, it may be better to eliminate the ambiguity of the original message - more than one place to play the hand.  Steve Robinson is clear:  "No cue-bid lacking two place to play."  Daniel Korbel agrees:  "No cue-bid with a minimal game-force and only one place to play."  Howard Weinstein similarly points out that "A cue-bid followed by four spades would imply a different shape."  BluBayou asks a different question:  "Does a cue bid, then correct 4H to 4S  show  a so-so 4-bagger?  Well,  my alternative is to just go to 4S now, so maybe it doesn't matter."  Most of the Panel was more worried about finding the right game than finding a slam.  Bart Bramley thinks the bid "Clear.  Should score better than three notrump, maybe a lot better.  Ten-nine of spades will let me ruff clubs high in dummy.  A Moysian fit will play well."  Will Beall would "... like better clubs for three notrump.  A club overruff at trick two is a distressing possibility, but I don't expect ace-king-queen on my left, so maybe West will lead something else."  Hoki is also worried:  "hoping that East can't overruff dummy in clubs."  As is JCreech:  "I am worried about a club overruff.  However, partner has virtually assured me of at least four spades, I think there will be more tricks in spades than NT, and this is matchpoints, so I will bid the spade game."  Jeff Rubens chooses 4 !S "Not because the clubs are inadequate for bidding three notrump, but because spades rates to score more."  Rozanne and Bill Pollack write "With nonvulnerable preempts so often on six, three notrump would be tempting were it not for the possibility of reaching a slam."  WackoJack is concerned about the 4-3 fit but still prefers the spade contract:  "Partner could have only 3 spades which might make a contract of 4 !S problematical.  However, in 3NT can I expect my J !C to be a stop?  A lot depends on how many clubs does the 3 !C pre-empt have.  The modern tendency is for a 6 card pre-empt not vul to be commonplace.  If the pre-empt is from 6 cards, that increases the liklihood that then partner has a doubleto club.  But it still looks odds-on that partner has only a singleton in which case my J !C will get swallowed up."

3 NT   70   BWP 36%   BWS 16%  IAC 36%
Now for the devotees of the TGBH.  The moderator provides the best argument.  "A stopper is as strong as it sounds.  Even if the opponents can run the clubs, they probably won't.  If West has king-queen-ten-nine-sixth of clubs opposite East's ace-doubleton, West won't lead a low club.  With ace-queen-ten-nine-sixth, he will often lead another suit, since he 'knows' that South has the king.  If North has a doubleton club, three notrump rates to be best.  Hamman's rule should not be taken lightly."  Robert Wolff believes "It is sound to bid three notrump rather than to strive for spades, which likely will be better only if partner has four."  Masse24 says "I worry about losing the first three tricks in 4 !S, which I think will be the runaway solver choice."  Billy Eisenberg considers it to be "A small underbid."  And Peuco makes the bid "even if Blu did not consider it"

Problem C  Double (BabsG, MsPhola, YleeXotee, JCreech, Masse24)

Imps  Neither side vulnerable
You, South, hold:

♠ K Q    K 4 2    A Q 10 2   ♣ Q J 6 3

——       Pass     Pass      3 ♠
   ?         
What call do you make?

Another preempt, another good hand, another unclear choice.  So what else is new?  This time you have a sure stop, but one that could be cleared while there is transportation.  You have 17 HCPs, but the only unbid suit you do not have at least four in is the unbid major.  On Problem B, you had multiple choices that felt reasonable; here you have choices that you may reluctantly settle for.

3 NT   80   BWP 26%   BWS 28%  IAC 1 solver
Although not mentioned this time, I think evoking Hamman's rule may be more appropriate this time.  The auction is already at 3 !S, partner is unlikely to have a stopper when you hold the KQ, and otherwise, 3 NT is a good description of your hand.  David Berkowitz says "You do or you don't.  I've gone down before (and will again if I keep bidding like this.)"  Howard Weinstein points out the "Doubling would likely commit us to playing in a suit contract at the four-level.  Three notrump may not be favored to make, but playing elsewhere with this spade holding may be worse.  The probable downside is 50 a trick for either side, and the hand is too strong to risk a pass at Imps."  I am more comfortable with the reasoning of Daniel Korbel ("I can't bring myself to double with this hand texture.  What a disappointment this dummy could be to partner in four hearts."), John Diamond ("I don't fancy a double with a spade stopper and only three hearts, and I cannot bring myself to pass at all white."), or John Carruthers ("I don't like it, but I like double even less.  The opponents may set up and run spades against three notrump, but they may score spade ruffs and overruffs against four hearts.").  Bless Zia, though, and his simple logic:  "They never double me."

Double   100   BWP 48%   BWS 56%  IAC 45%
Nonetheless, leave it to the moderator to bring the notrumpers back to Earth.  "How will three notrump make?  West will certainly lead a spade if he doesn't have a singleton (maybe even if he does), which will set up East's suit.  Dummy will probably need two aces for declarer to have a chance, and even then nine tricks will be far away; as a passed hand, North can't have much more than that. ... I can't imagine that it is the percentage call."  As for double, Karen McCallum thinks "Three notrump is quite likely to fail for lack of aces.  Probably better to hope that our game is four hearts."  Mark Cohen:  "Three notrump would be right on values, but king-queen-blank plus no five-card suit steers me away from it."  Eric Kokish writes "I don't hate three notrump as perhaps I should, but there are too many slow values to feel good about making it.  Double is an ugly, forced action; I'm sure pass would be best quite often."  Bart Bramley:  "Too many defects for three notrump:  wrong stopper, not enough tricks, not enough aces.  Of course, double has a few defects, too, but I can't bring myself to pass.  We might be saving against three spades."  Billy Eisenberg thinks it "Much better than three notrump."  And then there are those like JCreech who "... I chickened out of my earlier pass.  I have too many points to sit back quietly and double is the most flexible call.  I still fear the 3-3, and to a lesser extent the 4-3 fit on this hand, but so be it."

Pass   80   BWP 26%   BWS 16%  IAC 45%
So bidding 3 NT with KQ-tight of the opponent's spades is not to your liking, nor is doubling with Kxx in the other major, what is left?  Overcalling one of your four-card minors?  Probably not.  So that essentially leaves you with a pass and a prayer that partner can act with his initial pass at the three-level - oops, four-level, because you have the stop and they bid 3 !S.  I think Nik Demirev states the position well:  "I can't see how we can make something unless partner can act in the passout seat.  The hand is too soft and scattered.  Even if we are lucky enough to catch partner with 9-10 points, are we guaranteed a make in three notrump?  Far from it if North has, say:  ♠ xxx    QJxx    Kxxx   ♣ Ax.  North might have less.  And the opening bid may have been a third-seat tactical move with a lot of possibilities."  WackoJack:  "I have 17HCP and I would expect the 3 !S pre-empt to have on average 8HCP.  Partner will therefor on average have 7 or 8 HCP.  I cannot construct a hand where 3N will make when partner has 7 and fewer than 3 spades.  Even if partner has 5 hearts I cannot construct a hand where  !H is a decent contract."  Danny Kleinman finds "A balanced 17 HCP doesn't tempt me to bid three notrump when the spade royals lack a courtier, and not having a fourt heart dampens my hope that partner could make four hearts."  Fred Stewart:  "Clearly has the values for three notrump, but the doubleton spade sways me away."  BluBayou disagrees with clearly having the values:  "I am ignoring the spade queen and do what is at least thinkable to do with such a 15-pt hand"  Steve Robinson:  "Even if partner held an opening bid (which he has denied), ... we will probably fail in game."  Carl Hudecek says "I think we will go plus on defense and minus if we bid a game contract."

And so ends the first section of the October review.  I hope you found something interesting or useful in the discussion, but if not, perhaps in the next two segments.  Meanwhile, there is still the November problems to ponder; if you do, please participate.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 10:44:47 AM by jcreech »

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2022, 12:55:02 PM »
October MSC SUMMARY (Part 2)– Kit Woolsey, Director

Problem D  2 !C (None)

Imps  North-South vulnerable
You, South, hold:

♠ —    9 8 7 6 4    7 6 5   ♣ A K Q J 10

——      ——      ——       1 ♠
   ?         
What call do you make?

Your RHO has opened in your void, what do you want to show about your hand?  On the off chance that you are not on lead, you could bid the elephant in the room, your club suit consisting of 150 honors (if you were playing rubber bridge).  Alternatively, you could make a Michaels cue-bid to show at least 5-5 in hearts and a minor, and typically less than opening strength.  But then again, you do have at least three cards in all of the unbid suits, so a double might be right.  Or you could say that none of these options feel right, and just pass hoping that if the auction returns to you, there will be clarification.

Double   70   BWP 36%   BWS 18%  IAC 55%
More than half of the IAC chose to double.  Karen McCallum describes the situation well:  "This hand feels like 0=4=3=6.  It's always better to tell partner about 10 cards in your hand than five.  This is an extreme test, and I could be persuaded that two spades is more likely to end well.  Even two clubs could work out best; it's not as if our bidding problems will be over after doubling."  Eric Kokish thinks "Three place to play feels cleaner than showing two or one via the tempting two-club overcall that unilaterally assumes that we will be outbid."  Hoki agrees "With a void in spades, I want to clue partner in about the distribution so intelligent choices can be made in the bidding and defense."  WackoJack:  "With those hearts Michaels does not tempt me."  John Diamond:  "Void of spades, one must act.  Double will work when partner has four hearts."  Working to second guess the Panel, BluBayou fails:  "If the panel decides that committing to the 3-level via Michael's cue is too rich, then what WILL they do?  It won't be 2H.  Between  "2C"  and "double" I am betting on "double".  But michael's was MEANT for this shape and this point count, vulnerability be damned?"

2 ♠   80   BWP 26%   BWS 47%  IAC 45%
Nearly half of the solvers chose to show 10 of their cards with Michaels:  hearts and a minor.  One thing is for certain, noone is worried about the opening lead against spades.  Howard Weinstein explains:  "Prefer to get both suits involved, even with a slight disparity in suit quality.  The lead is not a concern.  Playing in clubs may not be as useful as first appears, needing to ruff spades with solid clubs."  JCreech thinks "With a void in spades, I want to clue partner in about the distribution so intelligent choices can be made in the bidding and defense.  Double is in the back of my mind here, but I do not like doubling with a void and all of my strength in one suit."  Steve Robinson says "I don't like it, but I don't want to miss an eight or nine-card heart fit."  David Berkowitz:  "The thought of partner's leading a heart against anything is vile, but I am on lead against spades."  John Carruthers:  "Do not need to direct a lead against spades."  Bart Bramley wants to "Show a two-suiter if possible.  Call me a true believer."  Masse24 says "Really ugly hearts. And they likely have a spade fit. So if we're going to compete to a high level, I need to speak now."  Phillip Alder thinks the hand "Hardly perfect, but the most accurate description."

2 ♣   100   BWP 52%   BWS 25%  IAC No solvers
After years of choosing the most flexible alternative, a majority of the Panel went with the least flexible.  Not only that, but not one solver from the IAC chose the simple overcall.  Let's see what convinced the Panel. The first few are concerned about the lead.  Carl Hudecek:  "To avoid a heart lead against diamonds or notrump."  Danny Kleinman:  "If I don't bid clubs, there will be too much chance that partner will lead some other suit after a one-notrump response and an eventual three-notrump bid.  I can mix one of my spades in with my clubs."  Will Beall:  "At this vulnerability, we're likely to lose the auction, so I'll emphasize the values rather than hope for a makable four hearts (where East-West will probably bid four spades).  I'd hate to see a heart lead against three notrump."  Others are trying to help partner make competitive decisions.  Jeff Rubens:  "This choice emphasizes helping partern decide when to double for penalty and possibly precluding  a three-notrump contract that would have been made after a favorable lead."  Nik Demirev:  "Prefer showing where the points are.  Don't want partner, with short clubs, to be excited by a cue-bid.  It will be easiest to evaluate defensive and offensive assets after a two-club overcall."

Pass   50   BWP One Panelist   BWS 6%  IAC No solvers
Interestingly enough, there was one Panelist and a smattering of solvers who chose to pass.  Zach Grossack wrote "I'm a strong believer in purism in two-suited vulnerable overcalls:  a maximum of five losers when forcing partner to the three-level.  If I wanted to create some action, I would double."

Problem E  2 !C  (Masse24, JCreech, Hoki, MsPhola, WackoJack)

You, South, hold:

♠ Q 4    A K J 7 3 2    J 3   ♣ A 10 3

——      ——       ——       1 ♣
  1        Pass       1 ♠       Pass
   ?         
What call do you make?

The hand turns out to be more interesting than the problem.  You hold 15 HCP, with a nice six-card suit.  The opponents opened 1 !C, you overcalled and partner advanced with 1 !S.  Then nearly 90% of the Panel made the same choice; the remaining Panelists split across three other options.

2 ♣   100   BWP 89%   BWS 36%  IAC 45%
WackoJack asks:  "Question:  What does the 1 !S bid show?  BWS says:  'A new-suit bid by an unpassed advancer is natural and nonforcing.  (Then: a cue-bid by intervenor is artificial and neither shows nor denies a primary fit for advancer's suit.) A new-suit jump is invitational.'  I hate that treatment but we have to live with it here.  It  tends to suggest that partner is betting that a spade contract is better than a heart contract. However, I have a strong overcall and so I am taking a slight risk (of partner's bid really being a rescue) and cue bid 2 !C to get some clarification from partner."  The flip side is Zia, who is ever optimistic: "Surprisingly simple problem.  I predict a 95-percent vote."  Close, but you needed a couple more votes.  Personally, I would expect more, but apparently, I am old school.  Larry Robbins believes that it "Should not guarantee three-card spade support, simply a grope with a good hand.  Notrump will be best from partner's side.  I will pass two spades.  With more than 8 points, North should make a positive noise."  Bart Bramley describes it as a "Good hand, unclear direction.  Close with three hearts.  Two clubs should let us stop low if partner shous no enthusiasm.  I'll pass two spades, bid two hearts over two diamonds, or raise two hearts or two notrump."  More vague, Zach Grossack says "I will be well-placed over whatever partner bids."  Sami Kehela thinks it is "Premature to commit to either level or strain.  Perhaps partner's next effort will shed more light."  David Berkowitz asks "Where are we going?  I don't know, but partner might be able to help."  Danny Kleinman considers it "The safest way to show a good hand while inducing partner to indicate extra spade length or modest heart support."  Fred Stewart points out that it is "Not a game-force, thus most flexible."  Masse24:  "A mark time bid."  JCreech:  "I give Todd credit for this switch.  Not really pleased with the cue-bid here, but other choices leave me less satisfied.  3 !H is the best description, but it may not lead to the best contract.  The mark-time bid may best."

2    50   BWP One Panelist   BWS 23%  IAC 27%
Although the moderator declared that "Two hearts sounds very weak.  Partner might pass when there is a laydown game."  Brian Glubok made the choice while channeling Al Roth:  "Here, I have a good guess what Al would have said about a bid higher than two hearts:  'You're always rushing to go minus.  You don't go minus enough without going out of your way trying for it?'  Must have been his depression upbringing playing rubber bridge ... Go minus for no reason and the family might go hungry."

2 ♠   40   BWP One Panelist   BWS 2%  IAC No solvers
I toyed with the idea of raising spades, but my barrier was that it promised  three-card support.  That didn't stop Carl Hudecek who based his raise on "I have better support for partner's spades than he has for my hearts."

1 NT   60   BWP One Panelist   BWS 5%  IAC No solvers
The moderator, Kit Woolsey, had his own private, lone-wolf, preference.  "This is constructive, because with a minimal overcall and a balanced hand, intervenor could pass one spade.  If one of South's low hearts were a low diamond, one notrump would be very popular.  The actual South hand has more playing strength, but otherwise one notrump is on target. ... One notrump risks missing a good game when partner passes; but it is a nonvulnerable game, so the cost of getting too high after a cue-bid is about as great as the cost of missing a makable game."

3    20   BWP No Panelists   BWS 28%  IAC 18%
There were solvers interested in 3 !H; although Panelists did not make this choice, the discussion indicated that this hand is close to the appropriate strength, but the bid should be less flexible.  The problems are there is good doubleton support for spades and there is a stopper in the unbid suit; these characteristics show a flexibility that a 3 !H should not have.

Problem F  3 !C  (WackoJack, BabsG)

You, South, hold:

♠ 5 3    A Q J 2    A K 4 3   ♣ 7 6 4

1         2 ♣        2 ♠*     Pass
   ?         
*BWS: forcing to 3

What call do you make?

MSC seems to be making a concerted effort to improve the understanding a particular treatment.  Last month we had two examples, and in this problem we have a third.  In this instance, you have opened, LHO overcalled and partner bid a new suit that happens to force you to bid if the auction is below three of your original suit.  Discussion of this treatment is sketchy, so when you have three bids available, 2 NT, 3 !C and 3 !D, that do not take you past where you are forced; but what do each of these bids mean?  From a different perspective, Masse24 puts it as:  "Anything could be right. 2NT? 3 !C? 3 !H? Anything!"

2 NT   80   BWP 26%   BWS 9%  IAC No solvers
I presumed that 2 NT would show a club stop, but then a stop is as strong as the opponents believe it is.  Nonetheless, it is easier to bid 2 NT when you think as John Diamond does:  "Doesn't  guarantee a club stopper."  Better is Zach Grossack's "After a fast two notrump, the opponents will never know what hit 'em. ... Any other bid would be a distortion of shape, which I avoid.  I hope to be able to raise three spades."  Howard Weinstein:  "Hate it, but what else?  Three clubs or three hearts would commit to game.  Three diamonds or three spade would be a huge distortion.  Sometimes, showing a stopper becomes a stopper when the defense believes it."  Nik Demirev:  "When there is no good bid I go by shape.  Conveying the nature of the hand is a priority.  Partner can confirm a stopper on the three-level.  An inspired opponent on lead with ace-queen-jack-sixth may try to hit partner in a side suit for a lead through or to avoid surrendering a ninth trick."

3 ♣   100   BWP 37%   BWS 29%   IAC 55%
I also presumed 3 !C showed a real suit; since there was nothing about continuations, that suggests bidding is natural except for the the forced keep-the-auction-open-through bid.  Just as I was unwilling to say 764 is a stopper, I was also unwilling to call it a suit.  WackoJack gave this problem substantial though:  "I have a very good 14.  What can I expect from partner's 2 !S bid.  I think 5+ spades, just possible 4 diamonds, just possible 4 hearts and just possible a stop in clubs but of course not all of these.  Crucially partner did not make a take-out double showing at least 4-3 in the majors and did not cue showing a good  diamond raise. I need clarification and think I am strong enough to bid 3 !C.  In this position it is asking partner to bid 3NT with a club stop.  With no club stop and 4 hearts partner could bid 3 !H otherwise will have to support diamonds possibly with a 3 card suit. Very awkward but better than the distortion of bidding a 4 card minor suit twice. "  However, Larry Robbins calls it "A grope for best strain and level.  It should not be reserved for the occassional huge hand, which comes up much less frequently."  Similarly, Eric Kokish thinks it is "An underused treatment that initially says, 'help me (Rhonda), I'm stuck.'  I have just enough in reserve that we should be okay at the three-level if North can't push us to game.  Definitely not a game-force."  Certainly a different view than Weinstein.  Bart Bramley:  "With enough to hope that we have a game, this may give us enough room to figure out the best strain."  Daniel Korbel wants "... to show some life, and what else is there to bid?  I expect a heavy vote for this."  That sounded like a shrug and a good guess on the voting.

3    50   BWP One Panelist   BWS 33%  IAC 36%
A reasonably strong contingent of solvers seemed to feel that since other minimum opening-bids were blatant lies about stoppers and suit lengths, that we were stuck with 3 !DJCreech's analysis is "I am at the top of a minimum and am forced to make a bid.  Pass is my real choice because I don't feel right bidding a red suit (diamonds because I only have four, hearts because it should be a reverse without values or shape).  Raising spades would be a good choice, if I had Hx or xxx, but xx feels wrong, as does NT with no club stop and the cue-bid on a minimum.  That leaves me with the hint, god forbid!"   Peuco is more succinct:  "I am forced"   Only one Panelist joined roughly a third of the solvers, Carl Hudecek.  He regretted his choice of opening:  "I shoulda opened one heart."

3    70   BWP 22%   BWS 23%  IAC One solver
Now we are getting into the territory where to bid beyond 3 !D, I thought you should be showing extras, both in shape and strength, and I fail to see either.  Rozanne and Bill Pollack seem to agree with me:  "An honest overbid.  We are praying for magic:  ♠ AJxxx    K10x    QJx   ♣ xx."  Robert Wolff points out "If regular restrictions apply, what is a fella to do with this hand-type."  Steve Robinson shrugs "What else?  Can't raise spades, bid notrump, or rebid diamonds.  We could belong in a four-three heart fit."  While Mark Cohen is either wearing rose-colored glasses (regarding his own hand) or expecting partner to have a game-force instead of a one-round force:  "Shows game-going values while slightly distorting shape.  Least of evils." 

3 ♠   60   BWP 11%   BWS 5%  IAC No solvers
Taking a considerably different view are those bidding 3 !S.  While 3 !H is absolutely forcing, 3 !S is not, while both distort shape.  For me to directly raise spades with only a doubleton, I think it should be at least honor-doubleton.  If I were to make the bid, John Carruthers thoughts would be closest to mine:  "Two notrump would be bidding partner's club stopper for him.  I'm hoping that the quick tricks make up for the lack of a third spade."  Brian Glubok writes "I switched to negative free bids because of hands like this.  Three spades will annoy partner less than two notrump."  Jeff Rubens calls this "The least damaging lie on average."

Regardless of choice, Zia's comment is fitting for all:  "A good player is one who finds the winning bid in unfamiliar areas."  But then again, so is BluBayou's:  "The ghosts of the masters of bridg's first 25 years must be laffing their ass's off.  Why doesn't this problem with a !D  opener come up more often?"

This concludes the second part of this month's review.  The last segment will come as I have time.  Until then, please look at next month's problem and participate.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 11:03:22 AM by jcreech »

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2022, 06:53:27 PM »
October MSC SUMMARY (Part 3)– Kit Woolsey, Director

Problem G  3 !S  (Hoki, MsPhola, Masse24)

Imps  East-West vulnerable
You, South, hold:

♠ A Q 9 5 4 3    Q    A K Q   ♣ Q 7 2

——      ——       ——      Pass
  1 ♠       Pass       1 NT     Pass
   ?         
What call do you make?

Although you hold 19 HCPs with six spades, the hand has some dubious qualities beginning with the singleton heart queen, and continuing with leaky spade suit that is also empty at the bottom.  Partner has bid 1 NT, which also carries a bit of a warning whether it be a weak hand with a long suit, a limit raise with only three trump, or something else; it can also simply be soft values or balanced shape where partner was less than enthusiastic.  In the face of this, you need to find a rebid and decide whether you want to give full value to the hand, or downgrade it, at least temporarily.  For the Panel, it was a four-horse race; for IAC, it was more of a two-way split.

3 ♠   100   BWP 33%   BWS 38%  IAC 27%
A plurality of the Panel and BWS solvers all went with the slight downgrade of jump raising their own suit.  Howard Weinstein thinks "Perhaps a slight underbid, but we are not vulnerable, and the hand looks more like a 16-count than a 19-count.  Other calls are bigger distortions."  Masse24 agrees "A slight underbid, but I'm permitted to have a max, yes? The other option (for me 3 !D), and seriously considered, just feels wrong. The texture of the hand is not up to a game-force for me."  Zach Grossack agrees "The spade suit is a tad shaky, and the values are scattered, but this correctly represents the shape and high-card strength, and these spades can play opposite a singleton."  Bart Bramley is "Pulling in a notch with weakish spades and poor combining values on the side."  Robert Wolff suggests that "Two notrump is a possibility."  While fellow Ace Billy Eisenberg thinks "Two notrump would lose the sixth spade."  Hoki:  "not strong enough for a jump shift which is GF."  Kit Woolsey, the moderator, says "This looks right.  Three spades is the value bid.  We would like a better spade suit, but we have what we were dealt.  Three spades puts partner's focus in the right place."

3 NT   80   BWP 22%   BWS 6%  IAC No solvers
And then along comes Hamman.  Carl Hudecek says "Hearts may be our best combined suit, but I don't want a tangled-up auction when Hamman's advice is a choice."  And where is Todd?  Back up with the spade bidders.  Mark Cohen is aware of the faults:  "Right on values, wrong on shape."  Jeff Rubens considers it a "Mild overbid opposite a misfit byt has the advantage of avoiding any other bid."  John Diamond avoids the minors:  "Not a fake jump-shift, because the spades are too weak to play opposite a low singleton (if partner raises the fake suit)."

2 NT   60   BWP 7%   BWS 10%  IAC No solvers
Others try the strain, while downgrading based on the stiff queen.  Will Beall is "Downgrading sixty queens [a pinochle expression referring to a holding of all four queens - per Kit] to keep the auction low.  Three spades seems slightly misdirected.  Three diamonds is possible, but the hand is notrump-oriented."  Rozanne and Bill Pollack argue that "With weakish spades and four queens, this hand is worth only the 17-count this bid would usually provide, and it keeps everything in the picture."

3 ♣   70   BWP 19%   BWS 13%  IAC No solvers
What about the "fake" jump shifts?  The Panel was more inclined toward 3 !CJohn Carruthers thinks "The holding is playable in all five strains, so I hope that the lowest game-force will enable us to reach the right strain and level, where two or three notrump might not.  Three diamonds would exclude clubs."  Nik Demirev's argument is slightly different:  "It's practical to force to game; this is the most flexible way.  Three diamonds would not only increase the chance of hearing North bid three notrump but also greatly increase the chance of being raised in our three-card suit."  Larry Robbins says "Not three notrump, which may fail when we have a minor-suit slam.  This holding is slightly too strong for three spades, which would suggest a better suit."

3    50   BWP One Panelist   BWS 21%  IAC 55%
While 3 !D was the choice of the IAC as more than half of the solvers went with the bid.  Fred Stewart thinks the bid "Most practical.  Keeps all options in the picture."  WackoJack:  "I need to make a game force and my spades are not even good enough to rebid a non forcing 3 !S.  I will go for the game forcing 3 !D.  Partner will certainly bid 3 !S with 3 of them and bid 3 !H with a heart suit.  Then I bid 4 !S or 3NT respectively."

2 ♣   70   BWP 15%   BWS 4%  IAC One solver
There was also a small, but significant contingent of 2 !C bidders.  Karen McCallum thinks anything else seems more likely to lead to disaster, so start with the cheapest call and hope to sort things out.  In the infamous words of Al Roth, 'if I get past this round ...'"  However, would Al make this bid?  Brian Glubok says "I checked with Al on this one, thinking he might take a 'calculated risk' with two clubs, but he said he missed too many games doing that."  Nonetheless, Steve Robinson makes the bid saying "If partner passes, he will have fewer than two spades, and we'll have a hard time making anything."  David Berkowitz, however, is looking for a particular person to agree with his bid:  "What else?  If Koach isn't with me on this one, I will cancel my subscription."  No worries, Eric Kokish feels that "This has so many ways to win that it might appeal to more than the usual handful of panelists."  JCreech says "I really expect partner to come back with 2 !H, so I am trying a tactical bid before trotting out a 3 NT.  Meanwhile, maybe I will get a 2 !S rebid from partner."

Problem H !S 10/9 (Peuco, Masse24, YleeXotee, Hoki, VeredK, MsPhola)

Matchpoints  North-South vulnerable
You, South, hold:

♠ 10 9 7 5 2    Q 10 7    J 7   ♣ A Q 4

——      ——      ——       2 ♣
  Pass      2        Pass      2 ♠
  Pass      3        Pass      4 NT*
  Pass      5 †      Pass      6 NT
  Pass      Pass      Pass
*key-card-ask for diamonds
†one key card

What is your opening lead?

Do the opponents have twelve toppers or don't they?  If they do, then it may be essential to cash out to get a good matchpoint result by saving the overtrick.  If they don't, then the contract may still be going down, so it becomes essential that you find a safe opening lead.

♣ A   60   BWP 7%   BWS 13%  IAC 45%
Voting that the opponents can make their contract without our opening lead assistance.  WackoJack provides the following analysis: "Declarer has 11 tricks off the top: 4 !S +2 !H + 5  !D.  If dummy has 6 diamonds then 12 off the top and I have to make 4 discards on the diamonds.  Discarding a spade gives a trick and discarding 2 hearts give 2 extra tricks.  If the declarer is an expert I expect him to make 13 tricks unless I take my A !C at trick 1."  Eric Kokish feels certain that "The club king will not be declarer's twelth trick.  If I  don't cash the ace, I will often lose it when the diamonds sqeeze me."  BluBayou:  "I   know i will be cashing out--  just cannot bear to type it for another week"  JCreech thinks "This will probably not score well, but I would like to cash my certain trick and shift to something neutral so that I can pitch behind the spade bidder.  I am counting on an eventual spade trick, or that something will be placed well in a round suit before I have to worry about being squeezed.  I am not hopeful of setting this, but perhaps Jock will be right that avoiding giving up an overtricks will suffice." 

If you do not cash the club ace, what should you do?  Jeff Rubens offers this analysis:  "The jack of diamonds looks safe, but that might leave dummy with its singleton spade, and declarer might not have an attractive losing approach to play.  If I lead a spade to try to break up the squeeze, which spade?  A low one might let East win with the eight; a high spade might expose me to a strip-squeeze (after East reduces to spades and the singleton king of clubs).  And dummy might have two spades."

Q   60   BWP 7%   BWS 2%  IAC No solvers
The option Rubens does not mention is a heart.  Phillip Alder tries leading the queen because:  "Presumably, East has his eyes on five spades, two hearts, and five diamonds, but he is in for some bad news.  I must lead a red suit.  A diamond will look suspicious, so I go with the queen of hearts, hoping that partner has the jack."  Carl Hudecek envisions a different scenario:  "I'm playing RHO for the club king.  Maybe declarer can win only 11 tricks off the top:  four spades, one heart, and six diamonds.  A low-heart lead might squeeze me in the middle game."  However, the moderator suggests that "Leading a heart could be a catastrophe.  Not only might the jack of hearts be declarer's twelfth or thirteenth trick, but also if dummy has the jack of hearts, the lead could provide an entry to dummy if diamonds are blocked, or four heart tricks if dummy has jack-nine-fourth and diamonds don't run."

J   80   BWP 19%   BWS 8%  IAC No solvers
Looking for a safe, non-spade lead, some found the diamond jack.  Nik Demirev said "Not blowing a trick and forcing declarer to run dummy's winners may be good, especially for an extra undertrick.  If partner has queen-ten of diamonds behind dummy's ace-nine-sixth, after jack, low, queen, king, declarer might finesse on the second round of diamonds."  Mark Cohen:  "I can't see how this can blow the contract.  If I led the ten of spades into ace-king-queen-jack-eight, I could be embarrassed in the endgame if declarer reads the position correctly."  Rozanne and Bill Pollack thinks "If we can force declarer to run diamonds early, we will be pitching behind him and should be able to work things out."  Howard Weinstein:  "Unless dummy shows up with seven diamonds, the club ace shouldn't disappear into the night.  If declarer has six diamond tricks, the lead is likely irrelevant - though if dummy also has a heart or club threat, I could potentially lose my trick.  If there are only five diamond tricks, declarer may have only 11 tricks.  While the spade ten or nine may seem safe, leading one could expose me to a strip-squeeze; the diamond jack feels safer."

♠ 10/9   100   BWP 67%   BWS 64%  IAC 55%
The spade lead was chosen by a majority of the Panel and solvers.  John Carruthers analyzed the situation as follows:  "East evidently has the club king.  If he has four spade tricks, two heart tricks, and six diamond tricks there's nothing to be done.  I need to be passive and may need partner to hold something in diamonds or the major-suit jacks."  Bart Bramley is "Hoping that declarer has at most 11 tricks.  I think I can hold the fort against the diamond onslaught, since I'm pitching behind declarer.  At imps, there would be a case for leading a low spade, because I may need partner to have at least the spade jack, and I'd rather not empower the eight; at matchpoints, I don't want to blow the whole suit when declarer has ace-king-queen-jack-eight-(low).  If declarer assumed spades were running he might not have the king of hearts."  Hoki thinks "surely declarer can not make more than four spade tricks."  Danny Kleinman feels this is "The card least likely to give away a twelfth trick.  I am trying to beat six notrump, not stop an overtrick.  I don't expect the contract to be the same at most tables."  Fred Stewart:  "I can't imagine anything other than the safest lead, and this must be it."  John Diamond:  "If South leads a heart, it should be the queen, but the ten of spades looks safer."  Masse24 "Safe. This will be the popular solver choice.  The !C Ace never appealed to me. I seriously considered the !D Jack. As usual, I hate lead problems."

This concludes the third part of the review.  I hope you learned from and/or enjoyed the review.  Comments and criticisms from the peanut gallery can follow in this thread, but there is also the thread for next month.  Please look at the problems, and pass on your solutions.  Since the full hands are not known, there are no truly right answers, only best guesses.  Please participate.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 11:07:45 AM by jcreech »

blubayou

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2022, 10:01:48 PM »
I missed the boat on so many of these problems [!]  but it's not LIKE ME  to not have researched the BBO2017  agreements on  PROBLEM E!    Which says" Aggressor's cue bid after Advancer's new suit does or may show a good overcall with no clear direction"    No wonder the panel went for that 24 out of 27!.   I guess the quizzmasters habit lately of throwing in HINTS  all over the place  made me expect some help from them on this point  :(

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2022, 03:34:00 AM »
During my review of Problem F this month, I commented that:

MSC seems to be making a concerted effort to improve the understanding a particular treatment.

What follows are three problems related to the treatment referred to above:

September Problem C  2 !H

Matchpoints  East-West vulnerable
You, South, hold:

♠ A J 7    9    10 8 5 4   ♣ A 8 7 5 3

——      ——       1         1
   ?*         
*BWS: 2 ♣ forcing to two diamonds

What call do you make?

September Problem D  Double

Matchpoints  Neither side vulnerable
You, South, hold:

♠ A 10 4    A K 9 6    J 3   ♣ A K 10 6

1 ♣       2         2 ♠*       3
   ?†         
*BWS: forcing to three clubs
†BWS: double = cooperative takeout

What call do you make?

October Problem F  3 !C 

You, South, hold:

♠ 5 3    A Q J 2    A K 4 3   ♣ 7 6 4

1         2 ♣        2 ♠*     Pass
   ?         
*BWS: forcing to 3

What call do you make?

In these three problems, the hints raised a partnership understanding that North-South uses in this problem.  A new suit was bid by Responder that is natural and forces the auction to be kept open through the cheapest rebid of the opener's suit.  Although a raise of Responder's suit is nonforcing, the bid implies that Responder wants another opportunity to bid, and that has implications.  The circumstances vary, but all involve answering a critical question:  "What do you want to say to partner?"

In each Problem, the Panel choose to avoid the direct implications of the hint, choosing a different direction each time.

In Problem C, you are given the opportunity to use the treatment directly.  As responder, you could make a natural 2 !C bid that forces partner to keep the auction open below 2 !D.  Although I chose to show a good diamond raise directly, would 2 !C followed by 3 !D show a hand just short of a limit raise (plus), or would it show a reluctant choice if partner bid a new suit.  And does partner bidding a new suit show extra strength, since I only forced to 2 !D, and either major might suggest reverse-quality values (and shape).

In Problem D, you are the opener with hand that you intended to rebid 2 NT if the opponents had not interfered and partner not made a bid that involves the hint's treatment.  Let's slow down the auction for a moment.  You opened 1 !C, West made, presumably, a weak jump-overcall in diamonds, and partner responded 2 !S, which is natural and forces you to keep the auction open through 3 !C.  It was bad enough trying to figure out whether 2 NT showed this sort of hand, or did I need to manufacture a reverse to show the extra strength, when RHO chimed in with 3 !D.  This added another layer of complexity; is a pass forcing or non-forcing, the hint clarifies that double is not a support double (my preference) but is "cooperative takeout," but other bids are not exactly clear given that there is no follow-up information presented even for a non-competitive auction, much less a competitive auction such as the one we are facing.

In Problem F, again you are opener, this time starting with 1 !D, LHO overcalls 2 !C and partner responds 2 !S which forces you to keep the auction open through 3 !D.  At last, you get to bid while the force is on, but what does each bid mean?  You have a balanced minimum, you have three bids available before you push past 3 !D:  2 NT seems wrong without a stopper, and does the bid show a minimum or extra values; 3 !C is a cue-bid, which suggests strength, or does it; and does 3 !D just show a minimum and forced when no other minimum bid is available, or does it show diamond length?  You do have one clear weak bid available, 3 !S, which is non-forcing, but won't it imply at least three pieces?

For the most part, I did not feel that I got many answers to my questions in the Panel discussion.  For example, the Panel plurality went with the cue-bid on Problem C.  It was a close call whether to suggest a limit raise or better in diamonds versus treating as a simple raise or trying 2 !C followed by raising diamonds hoping it suggested a near limit-raise.

On Problem D, I think it might have been more interesting for RHO to have passed, that way you would be forced to find a way to describe a strong hand after partner responded with a treatment-laden bid.  But that was not the problem to solve.  The Panel plurality chose the cooperative-takeout double largely because they had too much to pass and the wrong shape for almost anything else.

On Problem F, was the clearest opportunity to start understanding how this treatment works.  The voting, whether Panel or solver, was split fairly evenly among three or four answers.  Unfortunately, the plurality of solvers looked at the balanced minimum with no stopper in the opponent's suit and took what they thought was the default action - they bid 3 !D, essentially the last train available based on the hint.   This was an action only one Panelist joined in.  The Panel plurality was also strong with the solvers, 3 !C.  Interestingly, most of the Panel felt this bid to be grope for the best strain, while only one seemed to think the bid might push the partnership too high.  Perhaps this is a misunderstanding, on my part, of the requirements to make a one-round forcing new-suit bid, the quality of the cue-bidder's hand, or both.  There are often ambiguous portions of a partnership convention card, but this fairly innocuous treatment seems murkier than most, and I would appreciate some clarity.

Although I believe MSC is trying to bring some clarity to this treatment, I also feel they have fallen short thus far.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2022, 11:01:47 AM by jcreech »