Author Topic: 2022 September MSC  (Read 5088 times)

Masse24

• View Profile
2022 September MSC
« on: July 02, 2022, 08:09:28 PM »
SEPTEMBER 2022 MSC
Deadline: JULY 31 at 11:59 p.m. (ET)

Submit your SEPTEMBER MSC responses here: The Bridge World - MASTER SOLVERS CLUB

BWS 2017 System: BWS 2017
BWS 2017 POLLS, CHANGES AND ADDITIONS: BWS 2017 - Polls, Changes, and Additions
  • Bridge World Standard 2017 (BWS or BWS2017) is effective beginning with the January 2017 Master Solvers' Club problems. This page shows (1) the results of the panelist polls that were used to adjust the system; and (2) the changes in and the additions to Bridge World Standard 2001 (BWS2001) that were made.
    In the listings of the questions and answers, an asterisk indicates the BWS2001 agreement; the proportion of the expert votes for each item, rounded to the nearest percent, is shown in brackets.

IAC Forum MSC Scores

« Last Edit: July 02, 2022, 08:55:48 PM by Masse24 »
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

blubayou

• IACAdmins
  • lifelong director [1977-2010] and haunter of ACBL
    • View Profile
Re: 2022 September MSC
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2022, 11:49:41 PM »
For a change, problem A has 3 GOOD answers--3S, 2s,  and the hinter!  3C can't be as good as the splinter and even leaves the 4th trump in doubt.  I like the cheap 2 spades, with a bunch of torture bids to follow.

On the other hand, with problem B,  I see only EXREME embarrassment coming from making an apocalyptically wrong guess among  PASS, DOUBLE and 2 Clubs.   This and a few more quiz questions are probably the reason none of us have been able to whip any early guesses!   That's certainly my excuse.
                                --despicable two clubs, for now ---

Problem C:   Tell me --  IF we bid a supposedly legitimate 2 !C  are we also allowed a diamond rebid?? Or would that confirm an actual 2-level response?  I am thinking of opps going silent and partner rebidding 2NT, for one.  And a simple heart raise by lefty floated around to me for another.
   A simple  !D raise by me with a club bid to follow really looks good  even if my dummy points are in the book as "twelve points".
   On the third hand, it has been a LONG time since I made pard declarer in a 3-3 spade fit at the one-level via a neg double!  There is a growing tribe of players that abandon the neg-double of 1 !H as showing a spade suit, and they would love this hand.
  Oh;  i left out the honest bid of cue=good diamond raise didn't I?
I am loving the neg-X  even though it does show a spade suit as of 2022:  ---DOUBLE ---

Blasters just bid 5 spades NOW on problem D.  How will interposing a 'co-operative takeout double hurt?  I dunno, but somehow life finds way. so  i say it's pointless.                      --- Five Spades ---

problm E:  3NT.. down 3 with 11-20 tricks cold in clubs  ???

problem F seems a binary choice between  3D and 2NT.  3D risks  getting lost in complications, while 2NT is EXACTLY right on HCP and spade tolerance.                                          ---Two Notrump---

PROBLEM G:  (welcome to the 1970s/1980's!!)
I have seen this stupid question 30+ times of 40 years reading/entering the MSC contest...After the 6th time, I "invented"  "Instant-super-michaels four clubs" for my steady partnerships.
so.. problem G:    ---Four Clubs--- (showing THIS HAND)!!!    please make them stop using this item!
it's a good bid, and 1% of my 4000 masterpoints came from it.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2022, 09:10:18 PM by blubayou »
often it is better to beg forgiveness, than ask permission

blubayou

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2022, 09:49:35 PM »
C'mon, commenters/voters!  LOTS of chances to say "He's finally gone completely around the bend  (no offense to be taken ;D )

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2022, 11:12:51 AM »
My initial thoughts:

Problem A: 3 !D  Fit with fit.  No other bid guarantees the fourth club.  I wish 4 !S would show four clubs and six spades, similar to open a minor, partner bids a major, 4 of the minor shows 6-4 big fit in the major.  But it doesn't, plus it uses a lot of space that might be useful in exploring a slam.

Problem B:  2 !C  The hint is right on points and spade stopper, but completely wrong on shape.  I fear partner trying to insist on hearts, so I will underbid the hand but show my good suit.  Maybe I will get another chance to show another part of my hand.

Problem C:  2 !H  Two bullets, four diamonds, 9 HCPs and a stiff heart, this feels like a good diamond raise, so I will spurn the hint and make a nebulous cue-bid.

Problem D: Dbl  I am underwhelmed by the hint, but I will take it for now.  Partner forced to 3 !C, and since thst only included two bids, I guess with a minimum you could show a balanced min with 2NT or and unbalanced min with 3 !C.  But the opponents have thrown both options out the window, so now I am uncertain what my bids will mean, as well as what partner's bid meant.  I don't want to defend undoubled, but the support double I had hoped for, does not exist.

Problem E:  5 !C  The choices seemed to be between 3NT and 5 !C.  I am not embracing Hamman with a singleton ace.

Problem F:  3 !D  Show my suit and values and hope partner's rebid will provide clarity.

Problem G:  1 !H  Jock may have seen this hand oodles of times since the 1970's, but this is the first time I've heard him mention instant-super-Michaels.  BWS and I do not have that tool, and I only need two cover cards from partner, so I will start with 1 !H and hope I hear a raise or 1 !S from partner.

Problem H: !C A  I will try to turn this into a forcing game by leading clubs every time I get the chance; it only sets up one trick, and may cause declarer to lose control.  My second choice is dummy's second suit.  I am not thrilled with my choices, but those are my active and passive choices.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2022, 09:46:03 PM by jcreech »
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

blubayou

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2022, 09:27:09 PM »
A year ago, Jim-- I ranted "There ain't no 8-count one bids!"(two aces maybe?).  The panel largely disagreed.  That problem must have been similar to this one / i can't remember.   But GOLLY --and 8-count REVERSE starting with one heart?  Good luck, and I may be there with you when reality crunch time  arrives  :-*

peuco

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2022, 05:40:57 PM »
SOLUTIONS FOR:
Frank

PROBLEM A: 3 Diamonds
PROBLEM B: 2 Clubs
PROBLEM C: 2 Hearts
PROBLEM D: 5 Spades
PROBLEM E: 5 Clubs
PROBLEM F: 3 Diamonds
PROBLEM G: 1 Heart
PROBLEM H: Heart 8

wackojack

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2022, 10:20:18 AM »
First Thoughts

A:  This one completely floors me

B: This one floors me too

C: 2 !H support with support.  OK I take the risk that partner has a min opener with 4432 distribution. 

D: I will give up the slam possibility and just bid 4 !S

E: 4 !C forcing

F:  Double.  If partner bids 3♣ I will give delayed support with 3♠ not forcing.

G: Pass.  I will come in if conditions favourable

H: 8 !H.  Looks like west is 4414 and East maybe 4252.  I don’t like leading a doubleton ♥ but this looks least likely to give away a trick

bAbsG

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2022, 05:23:45 PM »
SOLVER: Babs Giesbrecht
Your Solutions for the September 2022 Contest
-------------------
PROBLEM D: 4 Spades
PROBLEM E: 4 Clubs

veredk

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2022, 08:07:00 PM »

PROBLEM E: 3 Notrump

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2022, 01:41:19 PM »
September Guesses
Trigger not yet pulled. I'm still on the fence on a couple.

A: 3D. What else? Suit quality not good enough for 3S. And although 2S does not promise six, over 2C it usually does show six. Not bidding spades now may miss our possible 6-2 fit or identify it too high.
B: Double. On reflection, double seems best. Although the HCP is right for 2NT, the void screams "No!" KnR is 22.65. Thankfully, they do not ask "what is my next bid?"
C: 2H. Which shows a limit+ raise in diamonds. Coincidentally, that's what I have.
D: Double. 4S next.
E: 5C. I want to bid 3NT in the worst way. Hamman is whispering. (Might change my mind on this).            
F: 3D. An overbid, but descriptive.
G: Pass. Anything could be right here, from 1H to 2H to 1S to Pass.
H: Spade 4. I hate lead problems.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 10:04:58 PM by Masse24 »
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

ccr3

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2022, 01:36:12 AM »
My answers for now:
A: 3D
B: 2C
C: 2H
D: 4S
E: 5C
F: 3D
G: 1H Thought about this one a long time. I recall this hand not too long ago.
          Lost the board because I passed in first seat.
H: AC  I like the forcing game.

wackojack

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2022, 01:56:36 PM »
A:  3 !D Going with BWS hint

B: 2 !C  Someone will bid 2 !H

C: 2 !H support with support.  OK I take the risk that partner has a min opener with 4432 distribution.

D: I will give up the slam possibility and just bid 4 !S

E: 4 !C forcing

F:  3 !D Initially choes double.  Reconsidering:  better to show with 3 !D rather than ask with a double.

G: Pass.  I will come in if conditions favourable

H: 8 !H.  Looks like west is 4414 and East maybe 4252.  I don’t like leading a doubleton ♥ but this looks least likely to give away a trick

wackojack

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2022, 02:05:30 PM »
SOLUTIONS FOR:
Jack Goody

Guildford
England

PROBLEM E: 4 Clubs
PROBLEM G: Pass

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2022, 11:26:00 PM »
No changes

SOLUTIONS FOR:
James Creech
Fredericksburg VA 22407
U.S.A.

PROBLEM D: Double
PROBLEM E: 5 Clubs
PROBLEM H: Club Ace
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2022, 01:16:30 AM »
Still going back and forth a bit on the lead problem. I'll probably stick with the trump, but the !C A (first instinct) is also a strong contender.

But what surprises me most is that no one has mentioned Pass on Problem E. I think it should be given serious thought. Heck, for that matter so should 4 !H.

Any thoughts?