Author Topic: 2022 August MSC  (Read 6578 times)

Masse24

• View Profile
2022 August MSC
« on: June 03, 2022, 01:09:49 PM »
AUGUST 2022 MSC
Deadline: JUNE 30 at 11:59 p.m. (ET)

Submit your AUGUST MSC responses here: The Bridge World - MASTER SOLVERS CLUB

BWS 2017 System: BWS 2017
BWS 2017 POLLS, CHANGES AND ADDITIONS: BWS 2017 - Polls, Changes, and Additions
  • Bridge World Standard 2017 (BWS or BWS2017) is effective beginning with the January 2017 Master Solvers' Club problems. This page shows (1) the results of the panelist polls that were used to adjust the system; and (2) the changes in and the additions to Bridge World Standard 2001 (BWS2001) that were made.
    In the listings of the questions and answers, an asterisk indicates the BWS2001 agreement; the proportion of the expert votes for each item, rounded to the nearest percent, is shown in brackets.

IAC Forum MSC Scores

“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

blubayou

• IACAdmins
  • lifelong director [1977-2010] and haunter of ACBL
    • View Profile
Re: 2022 August MSC
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2022, 11:31:52 PM »
"Instant"  answers  ( I have been busy busy this week)

PROBLEM A:>>   After my first two bids,  I can't have a single drop for a better dummy.  So pard can't get carried away when I put him in game.   I choose the minor rather than a tempting four spades, since partner MIGHT have Kxxxxx, A, AJxxx, x.  Of course he might also be 5-5  and have 3 off-suit loosers off the top [ or would he have left things in 2 !S  with such?]
                                                   --- Five Diamonds ---
PROBLEM B:>>   Is partner allowed to stretch to reverse when I have made a free bid,  and expect me to pull in a notch. I say YES, though it hast cost me two nice placings in msc recently.   Sticking to my guns,  I consider jump-raising his clubs is enough -- no need to make one of their ridiculous cuebids instead.
                                                   --- Five Clubs ---
PROBLEM C:>>   This sucks,  but I am underbidding by the value of my  heart king, say.  to hell with hearts as a trump suit, or fish for 3NT or whatever else.
                                                   --- Three Clubs ---
RPoblem D:>>  I reopen overcalls passed around to me with a non-jump suit bid ONLY with minimal shapely hands, so  "2 !C   is OUT, and  2 !H  is "in".  But I am making the grossly unprepared double now , on D-Day, the 6th of June.
                                                     --- Double ---
PROBLEM E:>>   Leaping Michaels is FORCING, eh? Then Plan A  is  to do that 4 !D  then bid 5 !H  over whatever.  Plan B must be some form of dog-walking, starting with 3 or 4 Hearts, then a diamond rebid above game.    Plan C, (jumping to heart game and shutting up), is a non-starter for me!
                                                     --- Four  !D , for now---
PROBLEM F:>>   Sixteen Primo facing a double of a weak two...hmmm.  Play partner for AK, A in the blacks and a heart control--sure.  So cue bid 5 !H , correct 6 !C  to 6 !D  if it comes to that, and here we are in  spade or diamond slam.  Easy-peasy.
                                                     --- Five Hearts ---
PROBLEM G:>>   "PASS, pass, 1 !C , (2 !H ), 3 !D " must be pretty much this hand. ( not 6 diams nor 4 spades,  close to opening hand) The operation must be a success, but the patient may already be dying.  Still there's no excuse to go chicken and get B-S'ed out of a vulnerable 3NT  by opps' N.V. shenannigans.
                                                     --- Three Diamonds ---
PROBLEM H:>> If we don't lead a trump here, then we simply do not believe all those alerts are honest!   Case Closed. 
    I cannot help ranting though about their bidding.  If anybody has ever heard of ...
                            "1 !S ,(something),  !NT"... as a game force, PLEASE post a link to that info below!
   FYI:  "2-1 points"  means aces = two,  kings = one...  apologies if ALL participants know this already)
                                                     --- a Diamond ---
« Last Edit: June 19, 2022, 03:05:00 PM by blubayou »
often it is better to beg forgiveness, than ask permission

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2022, 12:04:36 AM »
PROBLEM A:>>   After my first two bids,  I can't have a single drop for a better dummy.  So pard can't get carried away when I put him in game.   I choose the minor rather than a tempting four spades, since partner MIGHT have Kxxxxx, A, AJxxx, x.  Of course he might also be 5-5  and have 3 off-suit loosers off the top [ or would he have left things in 2 !S  with such?]

Blu, no interest in the Bluhmeriesque 4 !C? It would allow partner the opportunity to rebid 4 !S, which might be the last making contract.

I dunno, for that reason alone it seems like staying below 4 !S would be a very Master Solver's type bid.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2022, 12:31:22 AM by Masse24 »
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

blubayou

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2022, 12:33:28 AM »
It's my position that jumping a non-forcing 3 Diamonds to game means all 9 of my points are in his spades and diamonds, so THIS month I can do without the dubious pleasure of cue-bidding an xxxx suit without missing the 90 or 100,  as has happened in 2 of the last three months ;)

P.S. I like Dicky's 3 diamond cue over opp's 3D raise on problem B! (just below-thread)   Fortunately our fallback of raising to club game  is not very annoying at all.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 10:30:42 PM by blubayou »

DickHy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2022, 10:51:17 AM »
OK - a bit of time to kill before leaving for hol, so a brief return>

A.  4 !D.  Presumably 3 !D shows 55 in  !S !D, so we're heading for a diamond contract.  5 !D is too weak for this hand -- all my HCP are glistening with gold and I am max for the 1N response, so a stronger response looks better.

B.  3 !D.  Gives partner a chance to show a diamond stop or 3c spade support.  We have 5 !C as a fallback.

C.  3 !C.  3 !H is tempting, but while these three top cards might look like a 4c support, I have to ruff diamonds with them.  3 !S would ask for spade stop, but I think we'd benefit from some space in approaching a putative 3N contract.  This choice shows my hand quite well too.

D.  2 !H.  Partner may well have spades, and possibly a stop but with a hand too weak to respond 1N -- say KTxx in spades and out.  He may be nursing four clubs with that too, or possibly four hearts.  Oh, I remember now why I was so poor at this quiz: it doesn't take long for unbridled optimism to burst out.  Still, ya can't deny ya true nature.  If partner doesn't have four cards in one of my suits, he can have great fun with 2N --- rather more fun than I would have in a Moysian 2 !H.

E.  4 !D.  Will take the hint, with 4 !S exclusion coming over 4 !H and 5 !S exclusion over 5 !D.  [That's enough rank optimism for now. Ed]

F.  5 !H.  Partner looks to have a singleton heart.  4 !S is far too wimpish from me and double risks sending an unclear message.  Some super-wake-up-partner bid is the ticket -- 5 !H?  Probably better than 5N, cos over partner's 5 !S I can do something useful.  Quite what that would be eludes me just now.

G.  2N.   Presumably double would show 4c spades in BWS (though not so much in modern pro bridge judging from Salso).  I'm too weak for a cue bid.   2N is ok from an invite perspective, though Axx would be better as a stop. 

H.  Trump (9).  No idea what 2-1-points are.  East must have bid 7 !D with something like x Axx AQxxxx Kxx --- the club king allowing him to deduce that West holds the diamond king.  He'll be looking to ruff two hearts and possibly a club to come home.  Partner has no diamonds and at best only the club queen as a pretty card.  Leading a trump to make the ruffs complicated looks the only (and probably, fond) hope.  Which trump?  Do I really care??? Maybe the 9.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2022, 07:11:30 PM by DickHy »

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2022, 03:24:30 AM »
Hi Dick,

Great to see you again - we've missed your wit and wisdom.  However, I have bad news for you; you need to reconsider your answer on Problem B because E-W will be calling the director, and Blu, as our resident director, will inform you that your bid is insufficient.

B.  3 !D.  Gives partner a chance to show a diamond stop or 3c spade support.  We have 5 !C as a fallback.
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

DickHy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2022, 09:07:49 AM »
Thanks Jim,

Errr ... maybe there's a bit of wit but ...

And thank goodness I don't have to play with bidding boxes any more; BBO prevents such silly errors.  For B. 5 !C then. ...

... on second thought, Jim's idea is much better: my spades are pretty spanking, so 3 !S
« Last Edit: June 20, 2022, 05:00:39 PM by DickHy »

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2022, 12:40:53 PM »
This is a set that is really making me squirm.  I thought last month was bad, well to me, this is worse (except for the lead problem).

Problem A: 5 !D Partner only has three cards in the rounds; not a good time for NT.  I have my max, and that max will be useful for partner's holdings.  On to game and hope that partner has an ace or well-placed Kx(x) in his short suits.

Problem B: 3 !S  I wish I could bid a stopper asking 3 !D, but RHO beat me to it.  Without a stop myself, I cannot bid 3 NT, but I do have two bids before I get that high.  Hearts are out with only doubleton support, but 3 !S might be the impetus for partner to show a stop.  I really hate lead problems - oops, too soon for that phrase.  Well, vul at imps, I really need to try to get to game, and I am not yet convinced that 5 !C is our spot.

Problem C: 3 !C  It feels like a slight underbid, but the benefit is that I haven't gone past 3 NT yet.  If my hearts and spades were reversed, it would be easy to bid NT; if it were ♠ 6   ♥ 10 8 3  ♦ A K Q  ♣ A Q 7 6 5 2, it would easy to go with the Moysian heart fit.  But I don't have those options.

Problem D:  Dbl  I am not so wildly distributional that I must bid my hearts, and I do have defense if partner has a trap pass.  My fear is partner will bid diamonds, and I won't know whether to pass or bid my hearts.  At least if I pass, I can contribute an honor.

Problem E:  4 !D  I take the hint.  The hint did say forcing.

Problem F: 5 !S The auction says to me that we either have the values for slam, or very close to it.  The heart Jx says to me that even if we have the values, we may still have two losers off the top.  My concern is what message is being conveyed with the various 5-level bids; 5 NT probably should show the heart control and a choice of slams, 5 !H I think shows the heart control and is closer to a quantitative choice of slams, and 5 !S, while no longer providing a choice, is asking for a heart control to go forward.  Todd/Joe/Jack, perhaps you could tell us where you agree or disagree the meaning of those three bids?

Problem G:  3 !D  This feels like a bit of an underbid.  2 NT is a bit better on the values and shows the stop, but I worry about the source of tricks without partner providing help with the RHO's hearts. Dick is right that a third heart would make the NT bid better.

Problem H:  !D 7 Which diamond should not matter, so I could not resist 4th best.  It sounds as though declarer only cared about the !D K, otherwise another relay could have clarified further.  If they need to set up spades, they have a nasty surprise in that they never had enough trump to deal with my four.  If they need to set up hearts, a trump lead may make it difficult by screwing up the timing.  I don't have a second choice after a trump.
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

hoki

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2022, 11:32:05 AM »
A - 4, offering game in our 5-2 fit in the hope that pard's extra points
include a more robust suit than K-x-x-x-x.

B - 3, the suit could be worse.

C - 3, I can't say any of the alternatives hold any appeal.

D - 2, am I really supposed to double or, even worse, pass?

E - 4, isn't that what I want to play?

F - double, responsive, but if I'm told that is penalty (horrors) I'd have to put my thinking cap on.

G - double, "negative", most flexible option surely.

H - 7, when leading trumps always lead your lowest, they say.

peuco

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2022, 08:20:54 PM »
SOLUTIONS FOR:
Francisco

PROBLEM A: 5 Diamonds
PROBLEM B: 5 Clubs
PROBLEM C: 3 Hearts
PROBLEM D: 2 Hearts
PROBLEM E: 4 Hearts
PROBLEM F: 5 Spades
PROBLEM G: Double
PROBLEM H: Spade King

bAbsG

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2022, 05:02:39 PM »
SOLVER: Babs Giesbecht

Your Solutions for the August 2022 Contest
-------------------
PROBLEM A: 4 Diamonds
PROBLEM B: 5 Clubs
PROBLEM C: 3 Clubs
PROBLEM E: 4 Diamonds
PROBLEM F: 5 Hearts
PROBLEM G: 2 Notrump
PROBLEM H: Diamond 10

blubayou

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2022, 01:12:40 AM »
Problem A:>>    the single raise to  4 Diamonds is gaining some charm  to me.  I DO NOT BUY THAT FOUR DIAMONDS IS FORCING,  but you guys are making me think the panel is against me   4D  lets us segue to 4 spades, which MIGHT gain 2 imps, or, seldom, 11 of 'em.  But the fun comes when  partner bids 4 HEARTS  and we bid 4 spades--leading to six diamonds.   I am sticking to my plan-A  "5!D"  but  appreciating the beauty of staying at the 4-level for now...sigh.

"problem"F:>>   Never fear, Hoki!  If your Yank partner thinks  you are out for blood doubling 4 hearts...Then BLOOD  you will collect!  They win only 6 trump tricks or even only five..thats  800-1100  beating all slam-avoiders of whom  your pair apparently is:)  And ifhe runs from your double,  then  your diamond or spade slam should be on ice!

Lead Problem:>>  my family found a deck of cards  and layed out,  bit by bit,  the hand shown by east's 6 answers to 6 asking-bids..     here it is:  A2345, x, K??, AQ?? !   the 7 diamond bidder knows each and every one of these bits of information.   My family decides that 7 diamonds is ice-cold .   I agree.  SOMEBODY  tell me how these geniuses can be brought to humiliating defeat.   Especially  if that is by means of something other than drawing a round of trumps!!  This exercise  did spotlight a possible win for leading a 'false' trump (not the ten):   the declarer holding Kxx with dummy having AQJ654etc. might play one of dummy's big ones leaving himself with king doubleton to ruff two of dummy's  4 or 5 hearts! he would have my sympathies,  when our 10 fourth is now a trump stopper.
  BLU's side-bet for this month  is that moderator will NOT score "trump ten"  and "trump middle"  equally  as he frequently does! :D
« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 09:43:53 PM by blubayou »

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2022, 02:02:17 PM »

Lead Problem:>>  my family found a deck of cards  and layed out,  bit by bit,  the hand shown by east's 6 answers to 6 asking-bids..     here it is:  A2345, x, K??, AQ?? !   the 7 diamond bidder knows each and every one of these bits of information.   My family decides that 7 diamonds is ice-cold .   I agree.  SOMEBODY  tell me how these geniuses can be brought to humiliating defeat.   Especially  if that is by means of something other than drawing a round of trumps!!

Very similar to my construction, Blu.

But is there any guarantee of a nine card  !D fit? If (on the off chance) they have only an eight card fit, I want to hide my trump length with the lead of the 9. Which is probably what I'll go with.

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2022, 11:45:17 PM »
August Guesses:

PROBLEM A: 4 Spades
Surely this must show Ax in spades and excellent diamonds.

PROBLEM B: 4 Clubs
Forcing. Partner can continue to describe.

PROBLEM C: 3 Spades
Values for game. Can show three good hearts later if partner cannot bid 3NT.

Yes, partner theoretically denied four hearts, but this gets our shape and values off our chest.

PROBLEM E: 4 Hearts
I would be more inclined to bid 4 !D with the length of my suits reversed. If the opps compete with 4 !S, I’ll rebid 4NT intending to correct partner’s 5 !C to 5 !D. This should show the two card disparity in suit length.

PROBLEM F: 5 Spades
Partner not having a stiff heart is not guaranteed, so this is aggressive with a measure of safety. Is 5NT also an option?

PROBLEM G: Double
Tough one. I'll go with double as it is most flexible.

PROBLEM H: Diamond 9
I can't manufacture a layout where a trump is not best. It surely looks like declarer will require a ruff or two. The 9, rather than the Ten, is very minimally sneaky on the off chance the opps are in an 8 card fit.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 12:02:51 AM by Masse24 »

wackojack

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2022, 04:29:41 PM »
A:  4 !D
What could partner have in the light of our double fit and the opponents remaining silent: 
I bid 4♦ as a natural force and leave it to partner to choose between 4♠ and 5♦.  The trouble is that I there are few hands where 5♦ is better than 4♠.  One such could be ♠ Jxxxx, ♥ AK; ♦AJ98x ♣x where 2 losing ♠s can be ruffed in dummy and the 5th spade established to make 5♦. 

B: 4 !C
Do make a tell bid of 4♣ or do I find out more about partner’s hand with a double? 
Going over what I would do after I double if partner bids:
3♥ (showing 6♣ +5♥ unlikely) I bid a forcing 4♣ showing my ♣ support
3♠ ( showing 3=4=1=5 or possibly 2=4=2=5 with no ♦ stop)  I bid 4♠
3NT ( showing a ♦ stop)  I have a problem
4♣ ( I bid 4N RKB ♣)
Hmm!  I reckon the tell bid is better.  4♣ a natural game force with possible slam interest. 

C: 3 !C
Partner has made a take out double without the top 3 ♥ honours and East has not raised ♠s.  So partner could at worst have something like ♠ Kxx ♥ Jxxx, ♦KQxx, ♣xx.  I will be cautious here and just show my suit is ♣s.

D:  Double
If partner has 4 hearts then must have fewer than 7 points.  2♣ is too wimpish so I double.  This could hit the jackpot if partner has 4 decent spades.

E: Double
With 7 ♥ I cannot catch up with a leaping Michaels 4♦.  I am too strong for a bid of 4♥ so I will double  And correct to hearts when partner bids a number of clubs.  Out on a limb here I see

F: 4 !S
Partner could have min:  ♠Axxx; ♥ Qx; ♦ Jxxx; ♣Axx where we would want to be in 4♠ or ♠Axxx, ♥ Ax, ♦Jxxx, ♣AKx where we would want to be in 6♠.  Cautious 4♠.

G:
Double

Very tempted to pass but with 10HCP I think I have to make a noise so double and hope that the 4-3 spade fit plays well. Maybe partner is sitting there with a 2♥ penalty. 

H: 7 !D
Lead trumps