Author Topic: 2022 JULY MSC  (Read 6167 times)

Masse24

• View Profile
2022 JULY MSC
« on: May 03, 2022, 01:23:54 PM »
JULY 2022 MSC
Deadline: MAY 31 at 11:59 p.m. (ET)

Submit your JULY MSC responses here: The Bridge World - MASTER SOLVERS CLUB

BWS 2017 System: BWS 2017
BWS 2017 POLLS, CHANGES AND ADDITIONS: BWS 2017 - Polls, Changes, and Additions
  • Bridge World Standard 2017 (BWS or BWS2017) is effective beginning with the January 2017 Master Solvers' Club problems. This page shows (1) the results of the panelist polls that were used to adjust the system; and (2) the changes in and the additions to Bridge World Standard 2001 (BWS2001) that were made.
    In the listings of the questions and answers, an asterisk indicates the BWS2001 agreement; the proportion of the expert votes for each item, rounded to the nearest percent, is shown in brackets.

IAC Forum MSC Scores

“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

blubayou

• IACAdmins
  • lifelong director [1977-2010] and haunter of ACBL
    • View Profile
Re: 2022 JULY MSC
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2022, 10:09:26 PM »
I found a way to get a grip on PROBLEM A!  ...when I realized that this hand, --, Kxx, AKQxx, AKQxx  is at least an ace more than partner expects,  yet he made the move toward game.  That means that he has enough stuff to have made a neg double  or a free 1NT on his first turn  yet did not have either of those bids.  He has a skewed hand with perhaps 10 points or close  ( the opps having only 9 o 10, including mostly  HEART honors!)  Something like AKJxx, xx, J, Jxxxx.  Convinced we have 30+ points and 9 or more clubs, we can and pobably should wrap this up with a jump to 6 clubs.
   I daydreamed  for a couple hours that 3 spades might be a (non-jump) Bluhmer  (xxxx, AQJ, Jxx, Jxx  )  giving the opps their entire spade suit and absolutely no more high cards.   But [1] I think bloomers are supposed to be jumps and [2] club slam  works out fine if that wierd thing is happening, except we have just missed the cold grand.

PROBLEM B:   3NT--  down one  when pard has 3 aces + nothing instantly useable.  Will think about  doing better in spades later this month.

PROBLEM C:  3NT   -- #B,  this #C  and 3 of 5 later problems are totally insane.  3H 3NT and raise clubs all come to mind -- and look out!:  the false preference to 3 diamonds will prolly get the 100!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 11:40:51 PM by blubayou »
often it is better to beg forgiveness, than ask permission

wackojack

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2022, 04:25:27 PM »
Problem A
If "Exclusion" is allowed then 5 !S is the obvious bid.  So partner has  !S xxxx  !H Axx  !D xx   !C 10xxx shows 1 non excluded Ace  and 7 !C a near laydown.   
« Last Edit: May 10, 2022, 04:27:28 PM by wackojack »

blubayou

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2022, 09:21:58 PM »
He didn't  bid 3 spades with that,  and if you throw in 3-5 random points, then he bid 1NT on his first turn.  Still,  5S exclusion  is an excellent idea, W.J.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 09:56:44 PM by blubayou »

blubayou

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2022, 04:57:28 PM »
PROBLEM D:>>   Last week  I jumped into a random 'zoo' table, and saw my new partner  berating his now-absent partner thus: "New colour after interference is 10 HCP, please!"
  With that guy,  this 12-count opener is a slam-try, I guess; with the rest of us  what's the problem with raising to                      4 Spades??    KTxx, xxxx, ---, AKQxx

PROBLEM E:>>   Axx, KQTxxx, !0xx, x  FEELS to me like a delayed invitational jump in spades...BUT in BWS2017 the forcing 1NT response CAN BE PASSED .  I don't want to be dropped in !NT  with this, even in IMPS,  so  plan B  (2/1 in hearts)  or plan C (the hint  ie: passable 3 hearts)   is better.  on may 17,  i lean towards the game force           --- Two Hearts ---

PROBLEM F:>>   there are no HCPs available for west  NOT to have three big ones.  Today,  that means i might as well chirp  "4 !C ", in case this a goulash deal.   The five level  I have no clue about however--but for once i hope my preempting partner can take a view in our favor after the spade game i think is inevitable   ::) 

PROBLEM G:>>   Last  winter,  we had 2 contenious problems,  in sequential months ..about the "1nt, 2C; 2??, 3 minor" sequence,  and in my opinion we learned bupkas about this bidding!  Except that opener's continuation of three of a suit was OVERLOADED with missions to perform.      Here's the list: 
---1:  Does the opener's 3-level suit bid imply liking for partner's minor ( NEVER ADDRESSED EITHER MONTH)
---2:  Does such a suit bid imply weakness in  any suit bypassed, and does that include DIAMONDS, when the rebid is "3C"?
---3:  Whether it does or doesn't,  then am I cue bidding for slam,  or showing "stuffings"  for 3NT?

THIS month,  -- holding KJ9x,  Axx, X, KJ432,  our raise to 4S  is totally clear,  -- but we have not added a jot to understanding this important area of bidding...
                                                 ---Four Spades ---

PROBLEM H:> [ Esthetically, this footnote pleases me:  "1X, 1Y, 1Z; 2NT**" .  2NT is forcing.   
       HOWEVER, it makes this lead problem close to trivial.  Declarer promised us he he is balanced (or he would have bid 2C first if long there--or used XYZ or 4SF at the second turn).  Our two queen-fourths must be defensive gold, and passive defense has to be the winner.  I have an inordinate fondness  for  JTx at times like this,  so have no problem ruling out punting in what may their only 5-3 fit (diamonds)
.  No way i will start either of responder's suits.
                                                 --- Spade Jack ---
« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 06:34:22 PM by blubayou »

hoki

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2022, 10:25:01 AM »
A 4♠, otherwise Jock's 6♣ is fine.

B  3NT, I'll take down one since there's no guarantee that 4♠ or 5 will make either.

C  3NT, but could easily live with Jock's false preference of 3.

D  6♠, lacking the science to explore for a grand slam.

E  1NT and if that's not forcing I quit.

F  3NT, on such a distributional hand there's no guarantee we can defeat 4♠ so we need to come up
with something to put West off track - either this or 5♣.

G  4NT, hopefully keycard but BWS might well have something less obvious in mind.

H  ♣3, being a simple soul.

yleexotee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2022, 03:40:01 AM »
I think I'm heading for an all time low score on this set. Here are my choices so far:

A: 4C - because whenever I don't take a 4m, I get punished by MSC. The problem with this bid is I would play it as forcing but others might not. if its not in BWS as forcing then I have to find the 4S Hoki mentioned. could not be less sure of this bid.
B:  5D - blast to 5D. I don't think the hand is good enough for slam exploration.
C: 3S - showing my spade stops, but not wanting to take 3nt from the strong hand. I don't think having Qxx its going to matter whether the lead in NT goes up to me, or through me. if p doesn't have half a stop we are in trouble either way.
D: 4S - But this seems weak and I'm considering a blast to 6S. Pard has no hearts, and I have no clubs, with no losers in diamonds. How bad can pards spades be!? I think I've talked myself in to 6S
E: 1nt - but shouldn't we always take the hint?  I think I'm showing a limit raise in spades. support with support.
F: Pass - hate this one too. always seem to get punished for my passes, but with strong bid to my left and pard is bidding weak. this just sounds like trouble to get involved in some way. Isn't strong opener basically holding all the same cards I am?
G: 4D - but his might not be necessary, maybe its straight to 4nt for a club slam.
H: JS - I really preach leading through the major of responder on this kind of set up. It's their second suit and NT bidder is relying on that spade stop. lets knock it out as soon as possible.

Almost all of these could change. I'm really unsure of many of them.

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2022, 12:26:20 PM »
My initial thoughts:

Problem A: 4 !C  This should still be forcing after my jump shift and that I have gone past 3 NT.  But there is still the question of partner's cue-bid; is it asking for a stop, indictive of a trap pass, or showing support for my second suit?  Thinking about 4 !S and 6 !C as alternatives.

Problem B:  4 !S  Partner almost certainly has four spades for the double, though I am sorely tempted by Hamman.  For 3NT, I will need the !D A, and something good in both black suits, for 5 !D, I will need something good in the spade suit and one or both round aces (!H & !C), but for 4 !S, I may just need good spades.

Problem C: 3 !S Marking time and showing my stop.  If one stop isn't enough, partner will know and we will end up in either hearts or clubs.

Problem D: 6 !S  I don't like the other options.  4 !S is too weak, 5 !S asks about a heart control, 5 !C is probably natural as is 5 !D, and 5 NT would be a choice of slams.  Of the other options, I like 5 NT best, but I think a 4-4 will play better than a 5-3, though I am hoping for a 9-card fit.

Problem E: 1 NT The heart suit is nice, but I would rather establish support by showing a 3-card limit raise.  If I take the hint, the auction may end there with a 6-1 sort of fit, but if I start the sequence for the limit raise, partner may surprise me with a 2 !H rebid.

Problem F: Pass Do I really want to enter an auction at the four-level when partner has advertised weakness and extra length in one of my singletons and RHO has done the same in the other singleton?  I think it is time to steer clear of the potential misfit.

Problem G: 6 !C For now, the blast.  I'm struggling to find a more scientific auction, though I also worry that partner's bid shows problems in both red suits.

Problem H: J !S For similar reasons as YleeXotee.  Leading through dummy's second suit.
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

peuco

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2022, 05:58:26 PM »
SOLUTIONS FOR:
Frank

PROBLEM A: 6 Clubs
PROBLEM B: 3 Notrump
PROBLEM C: 5 Clubs
PROBLEM D: 6 Spades
PROBLEM E: 1 Notrump
PROBLEM F: Pass
PROBLEM G: 6 Clubs
PROBLEM H: Spade Jack

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2022, 05:30:35 AM »

Problem A: 4 !C  This should still be forcing after my jump shift and that I have gone past 3 NT.  But there is still the question of partner's cue-bid; is it asking for a stop, indictive of a trap pass, or showing support for my second suit?  Thinking about 4 !S and 6 !C as alternatives.

Glad to see someone else posit that partner's 3 !S may very well be natural. Picture seven spades headed by an honor or two. And little else. What to do?
I disagree that 4 !C is forcing. Not opposite a partner who did not respond. Almost forcing, yes.
This one is hard! Anything could be right, including Pass, 3NT, 4 !S, 4 !C, 5 !C, 6 !C

I hate to blow past 3NT because I am not completely sure what partner is up to.
I lean toward either 4 !C to continue the picture of my hand, or 3NT since it is my last chance to do so.
Tough one!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2022, 01:42:03 PM by Masse24 »
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

blubayou

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2022, 11:47:41 PM »
PROBLEM F, revisited:>>  The cards I do not see are: AKQJ, QJ, AKQJ, Q.   Twenty-five or the lousiest, considering the big guy can hardly be long in either of those AKQJ suits.  Gie both of those queen-jacks  to our partners who bid them  and that leave him a 19-point notrumper, ok?   If their hands are like:
QJxxxxx, xx, xx, xx facing  AK, QJTx, AKxx, Qxx , then our four top tricks cash. and there are lots of similar layouts where their 4 spades won't make. 
   I now judge that spade game won't make and that trying to contest their +140  will be LUCKY to cost only 100 if I buy it at 4 clubs.         
                                  may 27th: pass

more reactions to some very juicy points of view from you commenters tomorrow!  curiouser and curiouser,  as Alice used to say

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2022, 03:02:23 PM »
JULY guesses:

PROBLEM A: 4 Spades

If partner had spades stopped, he would likely just bid 3NT rather than 3 !S, yes? Maybe rebidding 4 clubs is best?

Hi, Bob!

PROBLEM C: 3 Notrump

Hearts are too poor to rebid. I could see lots of other bids, including 3 !S, 4 !C, and 5 !C. But this is Matchpoints, so hopefully we can bring home 9 before they cash 5 quick major suit tricks.

PROBLEM D: 5 Hearts

All the other possible bids are either too weak, too strong, or will not tell me what I need to know. This certainly shows spade support, but allows partner to go low with 5 !S with no top honors—higher with.

PROBLEM E: 2 Hearts

When I first looked at this I thought, “This is closer to 2 !H than 3 !H,” so I gave it a closer look.
3 !H is one dimensional and, if passed, may bury the spade fit. The choice is between 1NT (intending to later show a 3-card limit raise) and a GF 2 !H. Curious, I popped this into the KnR and it spat out 12.2. And this is without being able to tell it that partner opened 1 !S, which must be worth something. The primary feature of this hand is the hearts, so I bid them. A slight overbid, but better to bid strong early than try to catch up later.

Misfit, get out quick.

PROBLEM G: 4 Spades

Partner is in the dark as to my strength, which is borderline for slam exploration with a club fit. I assume partner was suggesting we play in a Moysian, so I accept. If he corrects to 5 !C, I’ll bid 6.

Could also see Club 3. I still hate lead problems.

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2022, 08:47:45 PM »
more reactions to some very juicy points of view from you commenters tomorrow!  curiouser and curiouser,  as Alice used to say

Call  me a doubting a Thomas, but then Todd chirped in with his initial thoughts.  And some fit the criteria of being "juicy points of view" from a "commenter."  Well predicted Jock.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 10:46:24 PM by jcreech »
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

bAbsG

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2022, 02:24:07 PM »

Your solutions have been received. This copy is for your records.

SOLVER: Babs Giesbrecht

Your Solutions for the July 2022 Contest
-------------------
PROBLEM A: 5 Spades
PROBLEM C: 3 Spades
PROBLEM D: 5 Hearts
PROBLEM E: 1 Notrump
PROBLEM G: 4 Spades

ccr3