Author Topic: Interesting?  (Read 3118 times)

kenberg

• View Profile
Interesting?
« on: June 15, 2017, 01:36:43 PM »
http://tinyurl.com/y8284n5d

Whatever you think of the play to the first six tricks, the hand can still be made. After the seventh trick it cannot.  If you interchange the Q and J of  !H then declarer is helpless after six tricks.

I find such hands fun to look at but am I on Mars?

Interests vary. Many years ago I took a date to a New Year's Eve party given by a fellow mathematician. In an attempt to bring the conversation around to something my date could relate to I asked one of the older guys "What's your daughter doing these days, Leon?"   "Partial differential equations" was the response. On the way home my date said  she  figured that if anyone asked her what she was doing there she would explain that I had picked her up at a bar on the way over.

Anyway, if someone would like to post a hand that interests him/her, I am sure there is room for one more.

Ken

OliverC

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • OCP Super-Precision
Re: Interesting?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 10:54:42 PM »
Super example hand, Ken, a real beaut!

Of course Declarer should probably play small in Dummy on the second Club at trick 4 (West might duck the first Club holding the Ace, but will surely not duck the second Club as well). If East started with AJ10 in Clubs, playing small makes no diff. That in turn makes the play at trick 7 even easier, because now East is marked with only 2 Clubs when they win the second Club with the Ace.

Especially given West's play of the 10 !S on trick 6, Declarer must make a plan here. If East started with 3 Spades, A10 of Clubs, and 6 or 7 Hearts, they are endplayed as long as Declarer ducks the 2nd Heart at trick 7, because East cannot continue with a Club. Similarly ruffing the Heart at trick 7 never gives Declarer any chance of making, because they can never enjoy the Diamonds. They've trapped themselves in Dummy with only Diamonds to lead.

Great hand!
Oliver (OliverC)
IAC Website Obergruppenfuhrer

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 12:41:57 AM »
I am glad you liked it.

I will pontificate just a little.  In a hand such as this, the problem is staring everyone in the face. The natiural line of play can be summarized as : Draw trump, run diamonds. Defenders must see if they can stop this from happening, declarer must preserve the plan. What's best?

On the auction, E can be assumed to have the top cards: !S K, !H AK !C A.  If spades are 3-2 It all seems safe if N never touches clubs. Ruff the heart. Spade A and Q. E is in. As the cards lie, the spade Ten has fallen but never mind, suppose it hasn't. There is still a spade in dummy so, on a D lead, declarer wins, draws the last trump, runs Ds.  Ok, so E plays the heart K.  No problem. S ruffs, and runs diamonds. Eventually a D is ruffed, the club Q is the entry back. Declarer loses two spades and a club.

As is so often the case, preserving entries is the key. 

If spades do not break, this might get a little tougher.

W made a good play of the club 9 when the second club was led. I agree that N should not be fooled, but I think the 9 helped.  It seems natural, although wrong if you think about it, to cover the 9 with the K.

It is, at heart, a one problem hand. Declarer wants to run diamonds, defenders want to prevent it. Looked at that way, that club Q is looking very valuable as an entry. Before playing to T2, declarer might consider what happens if E was dealt the AJx of clubs. It will go Q of clubs, small all around, and then ? I think that starting with AQ of spades is the safest approach. Spades 3-2 and all high honors with E and the contract is home.  E is in and whether he has a third spade or not, and whether he has AH, Ax, or AHx in clubs he has no good move.

Added: Even if declarer can get to his/her hand, it is by no means certain s/he can pick up the spades. Leading small toward the AQ won't do it, declarer has to lead the J  first. E covers, then the Q brings down the Ten. It'a asking a lot. Better to just give up a spade and preserve the transportation.

I am thinking that playing off the AQ might bring declarer home even if E is 4=6=1=2, providing the W stiff is the T.  Heart ruffed. AQ of spades. What does E do? Say he plays a D. Declarer wins and plays another. If E ruffs and leads the heart Q, declarer ruffs, then ruffs a !D with the 9, draws the last trump, and leads a club. I have not thought through all the variants, but it appears to work.

Side comment: This was an acbl speedball and illustrates why I do not like speedballs. If declarer had had time to think, s/he might have worked this out. Speedballs force people to play without thinking. Just why it is that people like to play a game that emphasizes thinking, and then like to play it in a format that forbids thinking, is a mystery to me.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 12:37:32 PM by kenberg »
Ken

OliverC

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • OCP Super-Precision
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 12:58:47 PM »
Speedballs - agree utterly! :)
Oliver (OliverC)
IAC Website Obergruppenfuhrer