Author Topic: 2022 April MSC  (Read 7131 times)

blubayou

• IACAdmins
  • lifelong director [1977-2010] and haunter of ACBL
    • View Profile
Re: 2022 April MSC
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2022, 11:31:38 PM »
I am sad  nobody saw the glass half-full or more on the responsive double deal.  on the downside,  we are aceless, and the club jack can hardly be 'an eleventh point'.  I guess those two items plus the known 4-3 fit have made all of us  gutless.   Probably  the panel  will go the low road also,  but if we are wrong and a big bid wins the voe,  I will salute any one of us  that joined that parade
often it is better to beg forgiveness, than ask permission

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2022, 01:16:54 AM »
I am sad  nobody saw the glass half-full or more on the responsive double deal.  on the downside,  we are aceless, and the club jack can hardly be 'an eleventh point'.  I guess those two items plus the known 4-3 fit have made all of us  gutless.   Probably  the panel  will go the low road also,  but if we are wrong and a big bid wins the voe,  I will salute any one of us  that joined that parade
KnR on it is 9.05.
And that does not even take into account the fact that LHO has overcalled 2 !C.
So even the 9.05 KnR seems . . .

optimistic?  ;)
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

ccr3

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2022, 02:35:38 AM »
SOLVER: Patricia McDermott
        8015 Buford Commons
        N. Chesterfield VA 23235
        U.S.A.

Your Solutions for the April 2022 Contest
-------------------
PROBLEM A: 3 Notrump
PROBLEM B: 2 Notrump
PROBLEM C: 1 Spade
PROBLEM D: 4 Clubs
PROBLEM E: Double
PROBLEM F: 3 Diamonds
PROBLEM G: 2 Spades
PROBLEM H: Club 7

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2022, 12:39:20 PM »
Wow, Ken! Nice job. First place in the April MSC with a sweet 790.
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2022, 01:01:32 PM »
What a thing to wake up to! I assure you that no one is more stunned than I am.

I see that I am tied with a guy named Kevin Castner. I first thought it was Kevin Costner. I was going to write to him and see if he could introduce me to one of his co-stars, Susan Sarandon for example.  I am trusting that Becky won't see this post.

You and Joe came in with 750 and Pat came in with 730. Since they don't post by iac nicknames I may have missed some.
A good month for iac.

I can be stubborn. I don't always think that I am wrong when I score poorly and the corollary is that scoring well doesn't mean I am right.

Short version: Thanks
Ken

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2022, 01:20:54 PM »
April Results

KenBerg tied for first overall in the MSC competition worldwide.  Also hitting this month's honor roll were YleeXotee and Masse24 tied at 750, and CCR3 close behind with 730.

NAMEBW-SCORERANKMPs
KenBerg     790   1   30
Masse24     750   2   25
YleeXotee     750   2   25
CCR3     730   4   20

BTW, Duffer66 just missed the honor roll with a 720.

Also participating this month were:  BabsG, BluBayou, DrAcula, Duffer66, Hoki, JCreech, Peuco, VeredK.

Congratulations to all!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 01:25:13 PM by jcreech »
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

blubayou

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2022, 10:51:31 PM »
The  Support Double problem  (G), FAR from attracting the 'big bid'--jumping in our 4-3 fit-- did not even draw a MENTION  of 3 Spades!
  Jumping in  pard's diamonds  did get a courtesy-20 with 3% of the citizens  choosing this (zero panel votes), but 5% of the citizens that picked the cue-bid [3 !C ]  did not get any respect at all.   
   I guess  the folks on the panel all have their K&R valuation app  at the ready.

P.S. Funny that LEAVING IN  the sup double which only appeared in our club 'by accident'  was tied for 2nd
  (11-6-6-random-silly).  Sadly,  there are pretty few shocks in the vote-count for us to bemoan or celebrate among the other problems  this month :P

Correction:   On the lead problem,  4th in longest/strongest got 9 votes, and the 100.  The three sensible 'punt'  cards ( !S J,   !H FIVE,   !D 10)  managed  6+6+3=15 votes  and  80 or 70.  I GUESS it is fair by their rule  not to give the 100 to all those 15 panelists, especially since some of the voters may have considered SJ or H5 as "hopefully attacking", but i wish it were judged otherwise
« Last Edit: March 07, 2022, 02:33:24 AM by blubayou »

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2022, 04:35:10 AM »
April MSC SUMMARY (Part 1)– Kit Woolsey, Director

Problem A  3 NT  (Peuco, CCR3, BluBayou, YleeXotee, BabsG, KenBerg, JCreech, Masse24)

Imps  Neither side vulnerable
You, South, hold:

♠ 10 5 4 3    K Q    A K Q 6 5   ♣ 5 4

SOUTH   WEST   NORTH   EAST
  ——       ——       1 NT     Pass
  2 ♣        Pass       2        Pass
  3          Pass      3 ♠        Pass
   ?*         
*BWS: Both partners have shown four spades, so
three notrump is a mild slam-try.

What call do you make?

The question here is, do you have a hand that makes a slam try or not?  And if you do have a slam try, how do you go about making that try?  BW is kind enough to provide a hint if you choose to try for the slam.

The pertinent information is that partner opened a strong NT and is 4-4 in the majors, and our hand has 14 HCPs that appear to be working, but there are questions about trump quality and whether there is a club control.

3 NT   100   Bridge World Panel (BwP) 63%   Bridge World Solvers (BWS) 60%  Intermediate-Advanced Club (IAC) 67%
A strong 60+% of the Panel and Solvers went with the hint. This puts the opener into the position of cooperating or signing off.  YleeXotee "taking the hint, though I wanted 4s at first."  Phillip Alder says "You led the witness."  Billy Eisenberg is "Happy to have this convenient agreement."  Peuco "take the hint"  KenBerg is more analytical:  "If partner has the AK of spades, the A of hearts and the AQ of clubs I guess 6S is a decent contract played from his side of the table. He can win the opening lead, cash the trump AK, and start the diamonds. It's asking a lot but it says "mild slam try' so maybe so."  Masse24 focuses on the poor spades:  "The “mild” slam try at best. With such a poor trump suit, I hesitate to show more interest by showing the diamond control. This merely shows that I would cooperate with a further slam move by my already limited partner."  As does Mark Laken:  "While weak spades are a concern, the hand merits a try."  Brian Glubok is wondering about "The real problem will be next round; probably, I'll go low.  The moderator, Kit Woolsey, considers the possible follow-ups:  "If partner bids four hearts, it will be clear to sign off.  If partner bids four clubs, the decision won't be so clear.  A diamond control can't be the issue, because if North is looking at strong-enough spades to make slam, he will know that South has strong diamonds.  Following with four diamonds over four clubs is probably okay."  JCreech thinks about the perfecto minimum:  "I will take the hint.  If partner has a club control and good spades, slam is a possibility.  A friendly defensive layout and a perfecto 14, slam is gin, so there is reason to explore the prospect below game."  Karen McCallum gets the final word on 3 NT:  "An opportunity to look for the perfecto safely.  Four diamonds would highlight the need for a club control but would overstate the hand.  Prefer to go low with weak trumps."

4    70   BWP 11%   BWS 16%  IAC 17%
Those making a slam try without using the hint, relied on showing their source of tricks.  Daniel Korbel thinks the hand is "Worth one try.  This denies a club control.  I hope partner will appreciate aces and trump honors."  Larry Robbins says he "Will sign off over four hearts."  John Carruthers:  "If I bid three notrump, partner will have no idea what I hold.  Here, O deny club control.  Weak trumps will make me subside over four hearts." 

4 ♠   80   BWP 22%   BWS 20%  IAC 17%
Roughly 20% of the Panel and solvers were not willing to push the envelope with a 10-high suit and 29-31 HCPs.  You can construct a minimum perfecto that gives you a play for slam, but one problem is 4-4 fits is that too often you get 4-1 breaks as well.  Hoki stands on principle:  "Being stubborn, I'd rather make the bids I can stand to rather than the bids that score well on the MSC panel, so of course I'm going to ignore the hints and all the slam moves where nothing is clear"  Zach Grossack is more in touch with the Panel's thinking:  "Don't like my trumpsl four-four fits generally need good trumps to make slam."  Steve Robinson points out that "If partner has:  ♠ AKxx    AJ10x    xx   ♣ Axx, there will need a three-two break.  Don't encourage when you need a perfect hand."  Zia writes "Even this hungry mouth must watch its diet."

Back on February 15th, BluBayou was almost prophetic when he aimed a message at me:  "Jim: It worries me that on the 5 problems that HAVE an answer we are solid ...  So  those madness inducing  #B  and C  become the battleground."  And when the results were announced, I had been brutalized by those two Problems.

Problem B  3 !H  (YleeXotee, BabsG, Hoki, Peuco)

Imps  Both sides vulnerable
You, South, hold:

♠ A J 2    K 10 9 6 5    9   ♣ A Q J 4

——      2 ♠       Pass       Pass
   ?         
What call do you make?

Tackling the first, of Jock's pair, you have 15 HCPs, a possible/probable double stop in the opponents suit, and a singleton diamond.  What are your options?  With five hearts, one thought is to bid the suit, but the flaw is that the suit is largely empty of high cards.  With the spade holding, a natural thought is to bid 2 NT, but the HCPs are a little thin and there is a singleton.  What about double?  The singleton diamond is the biggest flaw, but the spade length is also problematic.  So the last option is to throw up your hands and pass, which also does not feel right, especially in the pass-out seat; you have too many points, hold five in the unbid major, and possibly three places to play.

Pass   60   BWP 7%   BWS 3%  IAC No solvers
Let's start with the least palatable choice.  Mark Laken thinks "When all possible actions are fraught with danger, pass is often right."  While Jeff Rubens is "Guessing at the action most likely to lead to a plus score."  Although I chose action over inaction, I did contemplate passing because once you find yourself fixed, trying to find the way to unfixing often leads to disaster.

Double   60   BWP 7%   BWS 20%  IAC 1 solver
I think double was treated less well than it should have been.  With this hand, action is clearly better than inaction, so either Pass was given too many points or Double too few.  In addition, Double allows North to define the nature of their hand more clearly by choosing to bid 2 NT (lebensohl) or not.  However, BWS does not discuss whether equal-level conversions apply (e.g., bidding hearts when North bids diamonds)  JCreech "My suit is not so strong that I want to overcall at the three-level, so hopefully partner will have a sense of humor when I pull diamonds to hearts with only 15 and a probably double stop in spades"  Fred Stewart believes the call is the "Least flawed and most flexible.  Two notrump is right on values, but there is a singleton and it will often lose hearts.  Three hearts?  Ratty suit."  The moderator presented the best argument against a double:  "The problem with double followed by three hearts is that it implies that really don't like notrump, and partner won't expect such strong spades."  On the other hand, if partner asks with a spade cue-bid, why wouldn't he trust your decision to play in NT?

2 NT   90   BWP 41%   BWS 35%  IAC 58%
The IAC favorite was to bid 2 NT.  As BluBayou put it, "I would rather pass  than either double,  or bid those hearts."  He would rather bid NT with an unbalanced hand.  Masse24 describes the hand as "Ugly, but the heart suit (my second choice) needs to gain some weight before I introduce it at the three-level."  Karen McCallum thinks "All actions are flawed.  This is the best of a bad lot."  Howard Weinstein feels the bid is "Most descriptive and flexible.  If the spade jack were elsewhere, I would try three hearts."  David Berkowitz muses "Don't remember ever entering the auction on the three-level with king-ten-nine-fifth."  Nik Demirev says "A little off but represents the hand well.  Right on values and stoppers, not so much on shape.  Two out of three, and nothing else comes close."  KenBerg sums it well:  "I like 2NT. I just like it."

3    100   BWP 44%   BWS 40%  IAC 33%
The BWS plurality choice was to show the thin heart suit.  Perhaps the best argument goes to Phillip Alder:  "Two notrump will miss five-three hearts, but three hearts won't preclude three notrump."  Danny Kleinman says "Despite the short and weak hearts, there's no better action.  I can't bring myself to pass and miss too many good games."  Hoki makes the bid "so I won't have the headache of deciding what to do if pard bids 5♦ in response to my double - my partners do that but no MSC panellist ever would"  Peuco fears that "X will get 4D in the real world and then i wuld have to bid 4H on a lousy suit"  While YleeXotee simply is "giving the 5 card major"  Rozanne and Bill Pollack point out that "All contenders have serious flaws.  Three heart is the most likely to survive.  We expect not to hear four hearts without some tolerance for hearts."  The moderator argues that "The main gain for two notrump versus three hearts is when partner has a weak hand with a singleton or worthless doubleton heart, making three hearts terrible and two notrump between merely bad and possibly makeable.  However, add in the five-three heart games that are preferable to three notrump, and three hearts looks better on balance."

Problem C  1 !S  (VeredK, CCR3, Duffer66, YleeXotee, Masse24, KenBerg)

Imps  Neither side vulnerable
You, South, hold:

♠ A K J 3    K    A J 10 7 5 4 3   ♣ J

——      1 *      1        Pass
 ?         
*East-West use Bridge World Standard.

What call do you make?

In the second of Jock's two hands, the opponents have opened in your best suit and partner has overcalled in the better of your two singletons.  Although you have 17 HCPs, four are in your singletons.  You have a four-card major and seven in opener's suit.  Do you use the ever-popular nebulous cue-bid to show stength (and imply fit for partner's hearts), bid a non-forcing 1 !S (risking that partner will pass), or try to find some other solution.

2    90   BWP 41%   BWS 29%  IAC 1 solver
A popular solution, but not the most popular, was to make the nebulous cue-bid.  It feels strange to make a bid in your seven-bagger that does not show that suit, but it is the only strong bid you have available.  Nik Demirev has his plan ready:  Then two spades after the expected two-heart rebid by partner, then to offer three notrump."  Karen McCallum thinks "Wouldn't it be nice to hear two spades?  There are not many options, other than a reckless stab at three notrump."  Mark Laken says "Must start with a force.  Follow-ups likely will be challenging."  Danny Kleinman thinks "We probably belong in three notrump, but first we can probe for the right strain, which may be hearts or spades."  Although, selecting a different bid, I liked Mark Cohen's analysis of the cue-bid:  "Too strong to pass, and a cue-bid will work only if LHO doubles, partner passes, and so do I."

3 NT   60   BWP 7%   BWS 13%  IAC 33%
A popular choice within IAC was to try 3 NT.  It certainly is not perfect with clubs potentially wide open, but it represents the overall strength of the combined N-S holdings, the certainty of the diamond stop, and the inappropriateness of declaring spades if a Moysian 4-3 (the tap would be coming in the wrong hand, and the spades likely to be breaking badly, like all other suits).  Relying on brute-force science, BluBayou "I put the simulator to work--doing a job that is beyond its capabilities, BUT... at least I did learn the suprizing news that west will not always have diamonds double- or triple-stopped and that even if so 3NT  did not always automatically go down, as I have feared for three weeks [shocking news]"  Phillip Alder said "And damn the torpedoes."  Peuco, being succinct: "what else"  While JCreech writes "Thoughts are to force with a cue-bid and then steer toward 3NT, or just bull my way there.  Right now, I am more inclined toward avoiding partner thinking I have a fit."

1 ♠   100   BWP 44%   BWS 48%  IAC 50%
I personally discounted the 1 !S response for several reasons:  1. it is non-forcing; 2. North is unlikely to have four - with four or more I would expect either a double or Michaels; and 3.  I am expecting all suits to be breaking badly on this hand.  Nonetheless, this was the plurality choice for both Panelists and solvers.  Masse24 "We have the values for game, so the kneejerk 3NT seems reasonable. But I would like to know more about who has what. Though non-forcing, this 'temporizing' bid is the only way to get the information I need to make a more informed decision."  Bart Bramley:  "I hope someone bids, though my troubles may be far from over.  Not a cue-bid without at least a doubleton in partner's suit.  I expect to reach game: in spades over a raise, in hearts over a heart rebid, or in notrump over a club rebid."  YleeXotee says, "hate this, but I don't want to overshoot it with 2D, which can be misunderstood"  Fred Stewart thinks "Two diamonds would show either a moose or support, and it's not there.  Nothing else makes sense."  KenBerg "If the opponents have an 8 card fit we probably have an 8 card fit, and if the opponents have a 9 card fit we surely have an 8 card fit. The same arithmetic applies when we fit with an opponent. S (that's me or rather that's I) have a massive fit, at least a 10 card fit, with W (Lho). So N and E have a fit. Probably two fits, probably in !H and !C.  Passing might not be totally crazy.  I am thinking 1 !S, maybe that suit is distributed reasonably evenly.  I am not looking for game, I am looking for a contract that is not awful."  Larry Robbins points out that "A missed game will be nonvulnerable.  If partner raises, I will try three diamonds to explore three notrump.  I want partner to bid the notrump.  Over North's two hearts, I will grope with three diamonds.  Stiff jack is not a robust stopper for notrump."  I agree that missing a game is not horrible and that the NT contract will be best from partner's side, but I cannot imagine North ever bidding the NT first.

This ends the first segment.  I will post the next once it is complete.  Patience is a virtue not often shared by many bridge players.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2022, 01:39:49 PM by jcreech »

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2022, 03:00:31 AM »
April MSC SUMMARY (Part 2)– Kit Woolsy, Director

Problem D  3 NT (Hoki, KenBerg)

You, South, hold:

♠ A 8    A K 9 2    4 2   ♣ A K 10 6 5

——       ——       ——       2 ♠
 Double     3 ♠      Pass     Pass
   ?         
What call do you make?

The scoring on this problem puzzles me.  The bidding is straightforward.  The opponents preempt, you double, RHO furthers the preempt which gets passed back to you.  Partner clearly does not have a penalty double of 3 !S, nor a suit clearly worth introducing at the four level without additional prodding.  Let's review the select chosen ones:

3 NT   100   BWP 37%   BWS 12%  IAC 17%
The choice I have the least sympathy for is 3 NT, but it did draw co-equal plurality among the Panelists on this problem.  All that I can think of is one round earlier, I did not anticipate the subsequent bidding when I doubled initially.  If I had, I would bid 2 NT to put partner into the captain's chair.  Having doubled, I now have a problem.  But if 2 NT was not the right action one round earlier, why is bidding 3 NT the right action now - one level higher?  KenBerg thinks "It's not crazy, maybe not even overly optimistic, to think we have 9 tricks off the top. Pard could have Qxx in clubs and Qx in hearts.  Can they take the first five tricks in !D. Maybe, maybe not.  I am not thinking 3N is something to bet my house on, but I don't think it is totally nuts either."  Howard Weinstein believes it is "Too strong a hand to pass.  This shows a flexible hand.  If three notrump is the right spot, a second double is very unlikely to get us there, and I would not be excited upon hearing four diamonds from partner."  Peuco also has expectations: "again X will get 4D (i hate 4D lol)"  Zia says it  is "More optimistic than four clubs, less hazardous than a double, more losing than a pass, but more irresistible than any other action and not far away from the best plus."  In other words, Hoki's to be more specific, "a pure guessing situation."  Larry Robbins:  "Pass would be significantly timid, and double would invite four diamonds.  Our most likely plus is defending against three spades, but I can't risk missing a vulnerable game."  David Berkowitz has a great point:  "This is why one needs to play with great dummy-putters.  So many ways this can be wrong, but one way it could be very right.  Won't sit for a double."

4 ♣   60   BWP 11%   BWS 31%  IAC 42%
For IAC, 4 !C was a co-plurality selection.  For those avoiding the unsavory NT, and fearing a 4 !D response following a double, yet feeling that you hold too many HCPs to pass, 4 !C is the perfect compromise. Sami Kehela thinks it is "Worth a second double, but that is likely to beget four diamonds."  Masse24 is "Not fond of another double with only a doubleton diamond."  Robert Wolff feels you "Cannot cover all weaknesses."  Danny Kleinman believes "The route to four hearts when partner has four, and the best bet for the right strain otherwise."  The moderator, Kit Woolsey, has some strong sentiments here:  "Usually, a takeout double is the most flexible action, but not this time. ... a double's flexibility does not extend to three notrump.  Similarly, partner won't pass the double.  Four clubs is a more-flexible call, since it shows clubs along with hearts, so it is the sensible choice for those who don't want to risk three notrump."

Pass   70   BWP 15%   BWS 15%  IAC No solvers
If I had taken some other type of direct action over 2 !S, such as 2 NT or 3 !C, then I might be willing to go quietly with a pass, but having doubled first, I am less willing to pass now.  Let's see what those Panelists who did have to say.  Steve Robinson argues that "Partner's hand is limited; with four or five hearts, he would have gone out of his way to bid.  Three notrump might have good play, but that requires specific cards."  Carl Hudecek agrees, "In view of partner's failure to bid four hearts, it is unlikely that we have a game.  At imps, I take the sure plus."  Jeff Rubens:  "I doubt that we will be able to bid a making game often enough to risk turning a likely plus score into a minus."  While Billy Eisenberg is simply "Hoping to go plus as danger lurks."

Double   90   BWP 37%   BWS 42%  IAC 42%
BluBayou "Passing is for chickens even though we have only a king more than we should have.  The chickens ma live,  but I will die like a hero,  doubling again."  John Carruthers says "If I passed, I'd spend the whole deal worrying that we'd missed a game."  Bart Bramley "Can't give up.  Four clubs would be safer, but double focuses better on hearts.  Over four diamonds, I'll pass and pray."  Eric Kokish feels the call is "Dangerous, but I have always played with partners who did not bid four diamonds.  Pass would be sensible, but our counterpart is likely to double, and we lack the evidence to do otherwise."  Mark Laken says "Risky.  If passed out, we should be okay; if partner bids, he will like my winners."  JCreech wants an undo: "I wish that I had made the horrible call of 2NT on the first round, but at least I would have this hand out of my system.  Not good because only Ax as a stop, but otherwise fairly descriptive.  Now I don't know whether to bid 3NT opposite a quiet partner, 4 !C or double; double is the most flexible, so I am headed that direction."

Problem E  Dbl  (BabsG, DrAculea, CCR3, BluBayou, KenBerg, JCreech, Masse24)

You, South, hold:

♠ A Q 10 8 7 6    5    Q 5   ♣ A 9 8 5

1 ♠        3         Pass     Pass
   ?         
What call do you make?

Another preempt, another obvious set of responses - pass, double, or bid. 

Double   100   BWP 48%   BWS 45%  IAC 58% 
The reopening double caters to partner having made a trap pass, a partner unwilling to make a courtesy raise with poor HCPs, as well as a partner with length in one or both minors; what is not to like about the call?   JCreech says "My distribution is not so wild that I will not make the reopening double."  John Diamond "Won't avoid doubling with a singleton heart only because I have a doubleton diamond."  John Carruthers asks "Short hearts?  Must act."  KenBerg "Partner might pass and if so then 3 !H X might be the winning contract. Of course partner might also bid 4 !D. Then I bid 4 !S. Yeah, we are a bit high in 4 !S but it might be fine."  BluBayou "Before considering what BID to reopen with, I first check to see if I can do the normal expected thing of reopening with a double.  the 6 goodish spades and the unbid suit Qx are flaws,  but I dont wait for 15 point three-suiters to do this. (after all, on the problem above,  we did a similar thing  with a flat hand  and xx in diamonds)"  David Berkowitz wants to see "The look on partner's face when we have them murdered is enough to make me do this."  Waffling to the end, Masse24 thinks "Double is probably right. The MSC panelists lean towards aggression. I hate this problem and am uncommitted on any of the possible choices."  Zia argues that "This boils down to whether partnre will pass or not.  I vote yes; if I didn't, I would pass.  Three spades would be passing wind rather blowing in the wind."

3 ♠   80   BWP 26%   BWS 28%  IAC 17%
Rebidding spades only caters to the vanity of holding a pretty-good spade or the fear of partner bidding diamonds at the four-level.  Sami Kehela thinks "Venturesome, perhaps, but six-four shapes are usually quite productive."  Phillip Alder says "I am not brave enough to double and risk hearing four diamonds from North) and double from East).  Pass could easily be the winner, but if partner hoped for three hearts doubled, I must act."  Peuco agrees "when I make a reopening X and p does not pass he always bids my singleton"  Rozanne and Bill Pollack thinks "This hand seems better for offense than for defense, even though we can 'feel' partner praying that we double.  With two aces, it's close."

Pass   80   BWP 26%   BWS 26%  IAC 25%
Pass just caters to uncertainty, caution, and acceptance that the opponents have taken away most of the options available to me and my partner.  Hoki "the old school to which I belonged always claimed that if we are fixed we stay fixed - so I pass when today's world always takes a view with half gaining on me and the other half paying out."  YleeXotee finds it "against my nature to pass, but 3s is too much" Carl Hudecek is "Applying appropriate caution, vulnerable at imps.  Partner could not conjure up a competitive raise."  Robert Wolff says "Finally, a hand with which I want to be conservative."  The moderator points out that "Although it is usually right to compete with a singleton in the enemy's suit, I'm inclined to agree.  Partner's failure to bid three spades is highly significant - he won't have both three spades and values, so we won't make four spades."

Problem F  3 !D  (YleeXotee, JCreech, KenBerg, Masse24, DrArcula, Duffer66, BluBayou, CCR3, Peuco, VeredK)

Matchpoints  Neither side vulnerable
You, South, hold:

♠ 10 9    3 2    10 9 7 6 5 2   ♣ K 6 4

——      ——       1         Pass
   ?*
*BWS: 3 weak but strong enough for three
notrump opposite 18-19 HCP

What call do you make?

The problem has a clear message related to a possible bid, and, at least among the IAC solvers, there has been discussion about what to do.  For example, YleeXotee says he is "taking the hint," while BluBayou wants to "ignore the hint!"  So who is right?  In this case, it seems that both are because they both made the same choice of bidding 3 !D.  The difference may be in what their next bid might be.

3    100   BWP 70%   BWS 57%  IAC 83%
BluBayou makes the bid despite the hint: "We saw this footnote last year, attached to a hand with Q9xxx in clubs and damn little else: '*weak but strong enough for three notrump opposite 18-19 HCP'  The panel went HEAVY to ignore the hint and made the preempt anyway and they will again.  And actually this 109, xx, 109xxxx,  Kxx WILL help many a balanced 18 bring home that 3NT so 'going heavy'  might become 'choosing unanimously'?"  While JCreech makes the bid because of the hint: "I reconsidered after Jock's challenge.  Two years ago, I was worried about what I would do if partner showed the strong balanced hand.  ... The hand contains only 3 HCPs, but what a difference this time.  It is a K, which translates into a reasonable chance of a trick.  Given that partner is highly likely to hold four diamonds for the opening bid, that gives the partnership a minimum of nine, while also likely to have ten diamonds - now I can almost count seven tricks in my own hand, and if partner is strong, then 3NT may easily be a laydown. ... This time, I almost relish the thought despite only holding 3 HCPs.  If partner converts, it may not be a sure thing, but I still like our chances."  This dichotomy of thought is repeated among the Panelists:  Daniel Korbel:  "Who knows?  Maybe enough for three no-trump opposite a strong, balanced hand."  Karen McCallum:  "A system violation, perhaps, but my long diamonds will be tricks in three notrump."  Mark Laken:  "Combines preemption with offering a potential source of tricks for notrump."  David Berkowitz:  "I have an entry, and my diamond length may be valuable.  I would nee a singleton to bid four diamonds.  Passing would make it too easy for the opponents."  Phillip Alder:  "If partner bids three notrump, he might well make it."  Mark Cohen:  "The sixth diamond and potential club entry justify an upgrade."  Back in the IAC:  KenBerg: "It's true that this is a pretty weak hand as far as hcps are concerned. But I am not that worried about partner bidding 3NT over my 3 !D. I will be leaving it in. If partner has AKxx, not unlikely for a 3NT rebid, I see six !D tricks. And even if his !D holding is only Axxx we are in pretty good shape if he has the values for 3NT. If opponents can set up their five card suit on the opening lead, so be it. Often they can't of they don't."  Masse24: "I hate this, but only because of the tip provided. At the table this is an easy 3 !D for me. I wish Blu could find the previous example of this as I would like to compare the hands."

Pass   70   BWP 15%   BWS 27%  IAC No solvers
The passers do so largely for tactical reasons.  For example, Carl Hudecek says "The less I raise diamonds, the harder it will be for the opponents to appreciate the extent of their fit(s)."  Jeff Rubens thinks "Bidding might not keep the opponent out when I would prefer them out.  At matchpoints, being able to make three notrump won't be a factor often enough."  Sami Kehela "Goes against the grain, but no number of diamonds fits."  Nik Demirev writes "I'd rather not go overboard at matchpoints if it is our deal.  I am confident of being able to judge well later on in a competitive auction. ... I am not worried about all pass, because LHO is sure to balance with his expected zero to two diamonds."

4    50   BWP 1 Panelist   BWS 9%  IAC 1 Solver
Danny Kleinman takes the hint as it was intended:  "Too little offensive potential for three diamonds, too little defense not to bid four."  To which the moderator responds:  "How can too little offensive potential to bid three justify bidding four?  Shouldn't one have more offensive potential, not less, to contract for 10 tricks instead of nine?"

And so ends part two for this month.  I will get the last part out as soon as I am able.  Meanwhile enjoy, and start to work on next month's problems.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2022, 11:47:37 AM by jcreech »

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2022, 12:41:28 PM »
April MSC SUMMARY (Part 3)– Kit Woolsy, Director

Problem G  2 !D (DrArcula, KenBerg, Masse24)

Matchpoints  Both sides vulnerable
You, South, hold:

♠ K 10 8 5    K Q 7    Q 7 2   ♣ J 9 3

——      ——       1         Pass
  1 ♠        2 ♣      Double* Pass
   ?         
*BWS: three spades

What call do you make?

You are in a competitive auction, with no clear fit.  Not only that, but the last call from your side was a support double, showing three-card support for your 4-card spade suit.  Also, you have a 4-3-3-3 (literally), which suggests a preference for defense, but the level is still low, and your trump holding is J9x (not exactly the most robust of holdings).  And then they ask what will you do?  Not pretty.

2    100   BWP 41%   BWS 29%  IAC 25%
The Panel plurality goes with showing support for the opener's suit.  BWS follows Walsh-style in that opening 1 !D only rarely shows less than a 4-card holding, but could be better.  This could be the route to a 5(+)-3 fit or give partner the choice of Moysians.  Masse24 says the bid "Basically conveys the same thing that 2 !S does, however, it has the added benefit of showing moderate diamond support and bringing partner in on the final decision."  Carl Hudecek thinks it "Suggests I have only four spades.  With pinochle-deck bidding, I keep it low and confirm a playable fit.  West, with a passing partner will have a hard time bidding over two diamonds."  KenBerg "This looks like a good hand for pessimism. I have been optimistic on earlier hands, not here. There is no good reason to think we have an 8 card fit anywhere. Partner would open 1 !D on a 3=3=4=3 hand and a 12 count or at least he would on a 13 count. With that 2 !C overall I suppose it is more likely pard is 3=3=5=2. But that doesn't mean I want to be in 5 !D.  Someday I will learn how to use the online hand evaluator but my offline evaluation is that this is a crappy hand. It's flat and it's aceless.  If we miss game I accept responsibility. But I probably bid the same 2 !D next time."  Finding agreement with Ken from the Panel is not hard:  Billy Eisenberg:  "Lots of high cards; no hand."  Robert Wolff:  "Nothing else is even appealing."  Mark Laken:  "Poor distribution and no ace sway me to the low road."  This choice is certainly the road to the safest contract, but at matchpoints, you sometimes want to add in a bit of risk in order to take home the top.

2 ♠   80   BWP 22%   BWS 26%  IAC 75%
A return to spades was the clear choice of IAC.  YleeXotee "MP convinced me not to bid 2D"  The extra 10 points per trick when faced with probable competing Moysians can be a real draw.  Plus, you know you have no ruffing values, so a spade 4-3 is taking the tap in the correct hand; the hand with shorter trump length.  Certainly a point in favor of 2 !S at matchpoints.  John Diamond:  "With enough HCP that I expect to make two spades in a four-three fit.  I would not want to risk playing in two diamonds in a four-three fit."  John Carruthers asks "Why bid two diamonds?  It is matchpoints, and my spades are decent."  Mark Cohen says "Partner could have any of numerous shapes and high-card strengths.  Opposite a normal opening, I'll try to preserve the plus."  Peuco sensibly points to shape and minimum:  "4333 and the J of C only add up to 10"  Bart Bramley wants to "Stay low with no shape and no aces.  Play in the major to score more.  With weaker spade interiors, I'd bid two diamonds."  And Hoki concludes for us "having run out of arguments by now."  But wait, there is the request for an undo as JCreech says "I am wishing that I did not ignore that fourth spade and bid notrump before the clubs became a worry.  I'd rather go down in ignorance, than play in the wrong strain.  Since I did not, I will go low; its matchpoints and a Moysian, both suggesting a bit of conservativism."

2 NT   70   BWP 11%   BWS 20%  IAC No solvers
Some of the Panel and BWS solvers try to catch that extra 10 points that come with NT, but it feels late to the party once the opponents have shown clubs and your stopper is J9x.  Larry Robbins says "I don't want to miss a vulnerable game, even if it is under 50 percent.  A cue-bid would be a distinct overbid.  Two diamonds and two spades are underbids and may find the wrong strain.  Two hearts would completely misdescribe the hand."  But isn't giving full weight to the high cards of a 4-3-3-3 also an overbid?  Karen McCallum sees hope "There was no club raise, so the hand looks like three notrump.  I'd consider two diamonds at imps, giving partner the maximum opportunity to bid again; but at matchpoints two diamonds will likely get a very poor score if partner passes."  Danny Kleinman thinks "Two diamonds or two spades would understate strength while overstating length.  It's time to trade on my usuall reluctance to bid notrump without stoppers.  West wouldn't dare lead from his club tenace up to mine, would he?"   To which moderator Kit Woolsey responds "Yes, he would.  He will have no problem leading from his ace-queen-ten-sixth of clubs, hoping that his partner will get in and return a club to defeat two notrump.  He will be very surprised and pleased if his partner's entry is the king of clubs.  The tricks are very slow for notrump.  In order to make three notrump (or even two notrump), South will need some help from partner in the club department."

Pass   80   BWP 22%   BWS 11%  IAC No solvers
Which brings us to what may be the risk-reward winner - Pass.  If there is no game, you only need to nip 2 !C contract one trick.  If there is a game, it is most likely to be in notrump, and to do that, you will need help from partner; if you have help from partner, that increases the chance that you will defeat the contract 800, and even if you don't you will still beat all of the partscores that are likely to be running around on the recap.  Zach Grossack says "We have no definite fit with over half of the deck in high cards, so it feels like a prime time to attack.  With a golder 200 staring at me, it would be rather rude to reject its advance."  David Berkowitz seems to shrug:  "Since I can't decide what to bid, I will take the chance that dummy will be a big disappointment to declarer."  Steve Robinson believes "Plus 200 will be a good matchpoint score.  If the contract makes it's minus on 180, which could score something if this is a trouble deal.  Players sometimes overcall on nothing, and passing could lead to a bonanza if partner is 3=3=4=3 with some club honors."  Rozanne and Bill Pollack can taste the blood:  "We won't let them get away this time.  With invitational values but no clear game, the risk seems worthwhile.  Our only palatable alternative is two notrump, and that has a small club flaw.  Even if partner produces a club stopper, the values are too soft to insist on notrump."  The moderator considers Pass to be "... a gamble, but South committed to gambling when he entered the event, it looks like a good gamble to me."

Problem H  !C 7  (Duffer66, Hoki, CCR3, YleeXotee, Masse24, JCreech, KenBerg)

Matchpoints  East-West vulnerable
You, South, hold:

♠ J 10 3    9 5 4 3    10 9   ♣ A J 9 7

——      ——       Pass      1 ♠
  Pass      2 *      Pass      2
  Pass      3         Pass      3 NT
  Pass      Pass      Pass
*game-force

What is your opening lead?

The matchpoint dilemma:  do you defend aggressively, trying to set the contract, or passively, trying to avoid giving up the extra trick in a cold game that means the difference between a top and a bottom.  Nonetheless, the moderator writes:  "... as the panel's vote indicates, any suit could be right."  So, let's start with the passive leads and work our way toward the aggressive.

5   80   BWP 22%   BWS 6%  IAC No solvers
The moderator writes "The heart lead is certainly safe enough.  The problem is that unless you strike unexpected gold in partner's hand, it will take a long time to develop a heart trick."  Nonetheless, Eric Kokish makes the lead because "If we can't run clubs later, maybe the middle of the heart suit will lie well for us, or we'll kill a timely heart entry for the diamonds."  Bart Bramley's lead is "Random.  Hoping to hit partner for a club throught and that declarer's clubs are king-empty."  Billy Eisenberg:  "Hope partner can read it."

10   70   BWP 11%   BWS 21%  IAC IAC 33%
What about the !D 10?  Mark Laken is "Hoping to hit partner's entry for a club through."  Fred Stewart says "... I'll punt.  If declarer doesn't rattle off the fist nine, partner should know what to do when he gets in."  Peuco thinks "If Ds are solid leading C probably gives an overtrick, if not they can go down"  The moderator points out that "The problem with the diamond lead is that diamonds is likely to be the suit where declarer will be getting the bulk of his tricks.  If both sides are leading the same suit, one side is wrong, and it is usually the defending side."

♠ J   80   BWP 22%   BWS 7%  IAC No solvers
The !S J seems unusual for a safe lead; after all declarer has already announced five card in the suit.  Nonetheless, if the suit is solid at the top, you haven't given anything away except tempo, and if partner has an honor, you have taken a step toward setting up a defensive trick, and possibly an entry to partner's hand for the club shift.  Panelists also raise other considerations.  Zia:  "A first, perhaps a last.  I can't bear to lead a club, evenif it is the field choice.  If my lead is wrong, declarer might think spades are stacked."  Zach Grossack:  "At matchpoints, I often lead against three notrump aiming not to give much away."  Carl Hudecek:  "Least of evils.  Maybe partner will get in early in a red suit and put a club through."  Danny Kleinman:  "Time to kill dummy's outside entry to the diamonds, the singleton ace or king of spades, I hate leading from a four-card suit headed by the ace."

♣ 9   60   BWP 7%   BWS 5%  IAC No solvers
Clubs are considered to be the "pure" aggressive lead, but then which club.  Half of the leads that recieved scores of at least 50 involved leading a club.  John Diamond succinctly describes why the 9:  "Must lead the nine to unblock."  Howard Weinstein argues that "There is no good alternative suit, so as likely as it may be that a club lead blows an immediate trick, there is too much chance that we need to lead clubs and take three-plus club tricks now or later.  Establishing clubs may deter declarer from taking a winning major-suit finesse.  I lead the nine as there is so much chance that I need to preserve partner's club entry - he may have five.  I hope partner will not be misled ..."

♣ A   50   BWP 1 Panelist   BWS 4%  IAC No solvers
Larry Robbins writes "Sometimes declarer will have the stiff king of clubs.  I don't want to score minus 720.  Unblocking clubs would be reasonable."  The moderator says "Leading the club ace could be right, but it could be a catastrophe."

♣ 7   100   BWP 33%   BWS 50%  IAC 58%
The "standard" lead was chosen by a plurality of the Panel and a majority of the solvers.  But even being part of the "in" crowd is fraught with second guessing.  For example, KenBerg, this month's honor roll topper, says "This one I am still struggling with. My thinking was: This is matchpoints, we aren't beating this, why hand them a trick with a !C lead. But I am re-thinking this. Maybe the aggressive !C lead is right. Lho has 6+  !D, but pard can easily have Jxxx."  While someone not much further down on the honor roll, Masse24, despite firmly settling in on  a club, still battles himself about which club to lead:  "A little worried about blockage. Would the J or 9 be better?  Really like the 9, but no guts."  Steve Robinson presents a good argument for the !C 7: "Why can't declarer have queen-third of clubs and partner king-ten-fifth?  Responder might hold seven solid diamonds and out,  When  no other lead makes sense lead fourth from the longest and strongest, as a lot of matchpoint players do.  I don't want to confuse partner by leading the nine of clubs."  JCreech echos this:  "My initial thought is this is the unshown suit, and if declarer is 5-4-1-3 with Qxx in clubs, then we can take four off the top, and hope for a setting trick somewhere. ... Although I am concerned about the suit blocking, I am more concerned that partner will not think of the 9 as a low lead from honors.  I can see partner ducking the king if I lead the 9, thinking I led top of nothing."  Brian Glubok "Fourth highest in the unbid suit.  The nine could be right to unblock opposite partner's five-card suit, but it's too fancy for my taste."  YleeXotee goes for "standard which  means this is a 50 for score ."  While Hoki says "really what else? How can a diamond ever be right?"  David Berkowitz is not happy: "I hate leading a club, but the other suit holdings are so vile that I will stay with the fields."  And Mark Cohen is hopeful: "Can't declarer have queen-third, or king-ten-low when partner has an entry?  I'll pay off to giving declarer an undeserved club trick when he can run many tricks before we regain the lead."

That's it until next month.  I hope you found something interesting to think about, or at least something to vindicate your own thinking.  The new poll is open, so please participate - not only with your votes, but also with your thinking.  We all gain when we share.  Good luck with your selections, and see you in the new month's discussion.

blubayou

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2022, 03:28:29 PM »
Boo-hoo.  Jim covered everything that any solver could have thought of along with supporting comments from panelists and us.  There's almost nothing left to bring to the after-party :( .
    HOWEVER....The decent score for leaving in the support double on problem G  does set my hair on fire.  Like..where is it written that south can EXPECT a balanced hand for that bid? .....<more soon>...

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2022, 09:27:15 PM »
Boo-hoo.  Jim covered everything that any solver could have thought of along with supporting comments from panelists and us.  There's almost nothing left to bring to the after-party :( .
    HOWEVER....The decent score for leaving in the support double on problem G  does set my hair on fire.  Like..where is it written that south can EXPECT a balanced hand for that bid? .....<more soon>...

My BridgeWorld just came today and I have not yet read the explanations but perhaps it goes like this: Declarer can probably take six club tricks. What does he do for an encore?

Of course, maybe he has seven club tricks or maybe a lot of things but we have some fitting honors for pard and dummy is apt to be broke so he will be playing this out of his hand.  I didn't pass, but it does not seem totally nuts.
How could it be totally nuts if BW likes it? (That's intended as humor)
Ken

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2022, 05:00:39 AM »

I think from my writeup of what was said, that there is no expectation of a balanced hand by South.  What South can expect is poorly fitting hand (though, personally, that is not entirely true, because the diamonds may provide an eight-card or better fit), and that it is largely a gamble of whether the contract will go down or not.  I think the scoring was a bit high because the moderator supported the choice himself.  Nonetheless, I do not think the Panelists that chose to Pass, would have done so if a fit had been more clear or the shape less square.  Those became the pegs to downgrade the hand and hang the pass on. 

The other side of the equation was that these Panelists did not see game in the hand.  Therefore a penalty became more attractive as an alternative.  It then becomes a comparison of the relative risks and rewards the alternatives. 
« Last Edit: March 15, 2022, 11:08:15 AM by jcreech »

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2022, 03:11:16 PM »
We could speculate on how the hand might go. Some thoughts:

When N opens 1 !D, E, on a different deal, might come in with a speculative 2 !C. After 1 !D - Pass - 1 !S, a 2 !C call from W should be based on a decent suit. The difference is that after 1 !D - (2 !C) there are a lot of unknowns. How strong is S, does he have a major, does he have both majors and so on. After 1 !D - Pass - 1 !S things are clearer for the opening side and they are about to become even more clear. W bids 2 !C, N doubles. S knows that they do not have an 8 card major suit fit, and his options are clearer.

So, at least for me, after 1 !D - Pass - 1 !S a call of 2 !C requires a better suit than I need for coming in second position  over 1 !D. AKQxxx would of course be enough, maybe less, but not a lot less.

Assume AKQxxx in the W hand. We will not be getting any club tricks.

But partner opened and he has zip in clubs.

It's not outlandish to give him AKxx (x) in diamonds and one, not both, of the major suit aces. Dummy will come down with a short suit, but that short suit will be clubs. And as soon as dummy hits, I will know how many spades declarer has.

Let's say N had AKxxx in !D and declarer has a doubleton. Declarer starts with the !D A and unless dummy has shortness, requiring a trump switch, I encourage diamonds, it goes A, K, small !D ruffed. partner's third !D will tell me which major suit A he has.

Can we hold declarer to one trick in the majors? Maybe, maybe not. But I have given pard an 11 count. A very good 11 count, but an 11 count.

So maybe we beat 2 !C a trick, maybe we don't, but Woolsey says "It looks like a good gamble to me".

I did all my crazy stuff when I was 17, I now like a life that is calm and peaceful. So I went with 2 !D. But I can see the argument for pass.

Added: Amusingly, the !S T might be a key card. Declarer's spades might be Ax, give him 2=3=2=6 shape.  Give dummy !S Qxxx. We take two diamonds, declarer ruffs the third, he takes his clubs, he throws us in with a heart, we take our three hearts and then pard is on lead. Pard knows the exact shape by now sp he says a prayer and leads the !S J. We get 1+3+2=6 tricks on defense. Ok, if !H are 3-3 then we can make 4 !H but I doubt we are bidding it.

Anyway, leaving the X in is likely to be a top or a bottom. Allow partner his fantasies.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2022, 06:46:50 PM by kenberg »
Ken