Author Topic: DARE to think about what might have been. (1-24-2022)  (Read 1106 times)

kenberg

• View Profile
DARE to think about what might have been. (1-24-2022)
« on: January 25, 2022, 02:18:19 PM »
Board 8 presented choices, my choice was not the best, but the bridge fairies were watching over me. And, as is often the case, there are some issues about defense.

Nobody vul, partner deals and opens 1D.

S: T32
H: AKJ432
D: 32
C: JT

The uncontested auction: 1D-1H-1NT-4H. A bit aggressive, the contract is not on ice (or it's maybe on slippery ice)

S: AQ4
      H: QT5
      D: 7654
      C: AK6

S: T32
      H: AKJ432
      D: 32
      C: JT

The defense begins, and I think that this was stipulated, D AKT. RHo follows to the AK with spots played in whatever order is encouraging in their agreements, and then Rho plays the DJ on the T and you ruff.

Ok, if hearts are 2-2 and both opponents follow to two rounds of clubs you are making this.
The play goes:
T4: HA
T5,6,7 CAK and ruff a C high:
T8: small H to the board
T9: D from the board tossing a spade, Rho is in and can lead a spade into the AQ or a club for a ruff sluff.

As it happens Rho has only three clubs and that saved me when I went at this wrong. I cashed two hearts ending on the board, then ruffed out the clubs but then had to lead another heart to the board to throw Rho in with the D. If he had another club he would lead it, I would ruff it, then I would take the spade finesse and go down. Lucky me, he did not have another club.

The defensive point: On the third round of D, Rho has the Q and J of D. I think everyone played the J. But that tells me where the Q is. Surely LHO, if he hand started with AKQT of D, would have played AKQ not AKT. So I know the throw-in is working. If Rho plays the Q at T3 I have to wonder where the J is. Restricted choice applies, I guess. After it goes AKT, with Rho playing 8,9, QI can reason that if Lho had started with AKJT then he had a choice at T3 of the J or the T. He would know that only the Q is still out and so either pard has it and declarer ruffs or declarer has it and partner ruffs, so the T and j are equals. So restricted choice says it is more likely that Rho has the missing honor.

In short, playing the DQ at T 3 gives me a puzzle I might work out, playing the DJ at T3 leaves me certain of where the Q is. It's a case of playing the card you are known to hold.

Anyway, the endplay worked, but it had a better chance of working if I had ruffed out the clubs before leading the second heart.

As always, this was an interesting collection of hands. Certainly the endplay was one option, there were other options, and just possible I would have gone with a different option had the DQ been played at T3. My line worked, but is it the best line? No, but maybe ruffing out clubs before the second round of trump and then making the throw-in is best. Your thoughts?

I continue to hope we can discuss these hands back and forth. I enjoy looking back at my choices, especially at my wrong choices.

Added: My general approach to DARE is to think things through afterward on my own, I find it the most useful approach. But with this one I remain curious as to just what the recommended line was.

I am thinking that if Rho's first three cards are the D spots and the DJ then the best line is to cash one H, then play three clubs ruffing the third, then back to the board with a trump, lead the D spot. It works as the cards lie, but is it the best bet, and, if Rho plays the D Q instead of the D J at T3, is it still the best bet? It still works of course, but is it still the best bet (assuming it is seen as the best bet when Rho plays the J at T2)? I have not decided.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 04:50:41 PM by kenberg »
Ken