Author Topic: How to respond to partner's 1NT open with 5/5 in majors with a weak hand  (Read 1241 times)

veredk

• View Profile
We were vulnerable opponents were not, the auction was: p, p, 1NT, p, ? My hand:  !S AT764,  !H J9764,  !D 6,  !C 73. What to do? Thanks in advance to all suggestions. Vered
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 12:59:39 AM by Masse24 »

Masse24

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
Re: How to respond to partner's 1NT open with 5/5 in majors with a weak hand
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2022, 01:06:55 AM »
Hi Vered.

This is dependent on agreements. If playing Crawling Stayman (very similar to Garbage Stayman), I would respond 2 !C and pass either 2 !H or 2 !S. If, however, partner bid 2 !D then I would rebid 2 !H showing a weak hand with both majors. It is a Pass-or-Correct bid, asking opener to pass with three hearts and pull to 2 !S with only two hearts and three spades. It assumes (usually) that we will play a 4-3 "fit" at the two level.

If not playing Crawling Stayman, transfer to one of your majors and pass.

Although Crawling Stayman is a common treatment, it does need to be discussed and agreed. Garbage Stayman is a little different since you intend to pass any response from opener. It requires no discussion.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 01:09:12 AM by Masse24 »
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

veredk

• View Profile
Re: How to respond to partner's 1NT open with 5/5 in majors with a weak hand
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2022, 02:52:31 PM »
Thanks Todd. That's great.