Author Topic: And what shows what?  (Read 380 times)

kenberg

• View Profile
And what shows what?
« on: June 14, 2017, 01:54:23 PM »
Trigger warning. Didactic comments ahead.

2/1 pard?

It's not enough, here is a simple hand, with variants, to make the point

North, the spade hand, is the dealer.

Case 1:
North:
!S AKQJ7
!H Q
!D 973
!C QJT6

South:
!S T42
!H A643
!D A2
!C AK85

Ok, you have a good play for 7C on your 30 (28 working) high card points, but that's not what I am after.

Lets look at
Case 2:
North:
!S AKQJ7
!H Q7
!D 93
!C QJT6

South:
!S T42
!H A643
!D A2
!C AK85

In case 1 we can make 6 !S assuming we can get our !D  ruff before the defenders get a ruff. A dummy reversal also could (and does) work but surely that's the hard way. In case 2 we can easily make 6 !C on a 3-2 club split, but there is no play for 6 !S , at least not on a !D lead. . 

I think we should forgive ourselves if we do not reach 7 !C in case 1. But our agreements should be strong enough to get us to 6 !C in case 2 if we are to bid any slam at all.

So let's tackle Case 2.

Surely the bidding begins 1 !S - 2 !C - 3 !C - 3 !S.   Even if we were playing SAYC, that 3 !S must be forcing after the minor suit raise. Anyway, I am assuming 2/1.

So what's up? Surely if S had  2/1 values, clubs, three spades, and a minimum he would bid 2 !C and then 4 !S.  So that's what he doesn't have. I think the right call over 3 !S is 4 !C.  Now South can pretty much count 12 tricks in a club contract, or at least that's so if he can bring in spades without loss. There is a good chance the partnership gets to 6 !C after the 4 !C .

Case 1 was the actual hand, and afterward it was noted that 7!C is on. Can it be reached? Oh, probably not. But there is something worth discussing.

After 1 !S - 2 !C what is 3 !H?  Imo it is something like what N actually has. It is still asking a lot to actually reach 7 !C but the stiff heart and the good club support is the reason the grand is on, so if we are getting there, then that's how it has to start.
Added: This assumes that the 3 !H is a splinter, not everyone plays it that way. It could be that 3 !H shoes a strong 5-5 hand. Biding 2 !H and later 2 !H then shows a modes 5-5, the direct jump shift shows a strong 5-5. I think the splinter is the more common usage.  But "what means what?" is often an issue.

It seems to me that SAYC bidders might well reach 6 !C so 2/1 bidders need to do so also.  Leave 7 !C to the experts.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 05:53:53 PM by kenberg »
Ken