Author Topic: 2022 March MSC  (Read 10155 times)

Masse24

• View Profile
2022 March MSC
« on: January 02, 2022, 02:04:09 PM »
MARCH 2022 MSC
Deadline: JAN 31 at 11:59 p.m. (ET)

Submit your MARCH MSC responses here: The Bridge World - MASTER SOLVERS CLUB

BWS 2017 System: BWS 2017
BWS 2017 POLLS, CHANGES AND ADDITIONS: BWS 2017 - Polls, Changes, and Additions
  • Bridge World Standard 2017 (BWS or BWS2017) is effective beginning with the January 2017 Master Solvers' Club problems. This page shows (1) the results of the panelist polls that were used to adjust the system; and (2) the changes in and the additions to Bridge World Standard 2001 (BWS2001) that were made.
    In the listings of the questions and answers, an asterisk indicates the BWS2001 agreement; the proportion of the expert votes for each item, rounded to the nearest percent, is shown in brackets.

IAC Forum MSC Scores

“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

blubayou

• IACAdmins
  • lifelong director [1977-2010] and haunter of ACBL
    • View Profile
Re: 2022 March MSC
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2022, 08:24:15 PM »
problem A:  xxx, Axx, xx, AQxxx.  Do we really have 9 clubs,  and they really  9  [or 10!] diamonds??   Then the LAW suggests we go on to 4 Clubs:  ( total number of trumps being 18= either they are making ,  or if holdable to 8 [7] tricks then we will make.  I have the sick feeling the TNT number is lower than this, or the the TNT guideline is off the rails this time, and we are both going set :( .    But for now...     Four Clubs.

problem B is the flip side of problem A:  On A,  I would instinctively leave in the double but THE LAW  says this is rash and I should 'take out my partner's takeout doubles".   On B bidding my hearts over the balancing double seems so normal and natural  BUT!...the LAW of Total TRUMPS  comes up with  AT BEST 8 plus 8  (and given the vulnerability  they may be in a 6-1 fit, too).  My  Yoda  says, "both sides bidding to the 3-level when the Law-number is 16 = somebody screwed up!"  One bad thing that can happen by not making the obvious 3 !H  takeout,  is that pard has a raise for us to the vulnerable game, that will obviously make :( ,  Well if the LAW is  working correctly, and we make ten tricks, then they deserve only six--so  I loose 3 IMPs
    All alone, except for HOKI  [side bet]  I  ---Pass, for blood---

Am I lost..  Here are two puzzles that do not seem to have a third possible answer.  Somebody get busy please and correct my tunnel-vision problem!   They JUST DON"T DO THIS (deliberately) 
  THANKS, Peuco;  "3NT"  on B will certainly get votes, along with "3H" and "pass".

for problem C,  do we need something sexier than plain old 4 Hearts on void, Kxxxx, x, AKJxxxx?  Probably yes,  but for starters, that's my bid   ---Four Hearts---

problem D:  More about this jewel later, but know that pard has the best hand at the table and is sitting on opp's hearts.  I credit THEM  with  10 points  facing 6,and  not fitting anywhere.   Hmm--where will this belief lead us?    ....................................         ---?---

problem E:  Five to seven point hands are allowed to pass when partner jump rebids his suit,  but that Qxx in her suit will not be denied!                     ---3 NT ---
problem F:   - - - - - - - -   watch this space;  (HELP!)

problem G:   
[moved]
  Somehow  the existence of this gadget slipped past me,  but I do remember bidding a forcing notrump and feeling endplayed by this 2NT from partner with my garbage hand containing 6 hearts,  as rebidding 3H would force partner between raising and going on to 3NT, so I should have expected some mad scientist to invent transfers here.
  P.S.  WHAT would "3H" by responder transfer to? --  four clubs?  or opener's spade suit?  Inquiring minds want to know.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 08:13:58 AM by blubayou »
often it is better to beg forgiveness, than ask permission

FleuretteD

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2022, 03:15:44 PM »
hello everyone

I made my answers sorry cannot explain much in english.
Your Solutions for the March 2022 Contest
-------------------
PROBLEM A: 4 Clubs
PROBLEM B: 4 Hearts
PROBLEM C: 2 Hearts
PROBLEM D: 3 Clubs
PROBLEM E: 3 Notrump
PROBLEM F: 3 Clubs
PROBLEM G: 3 Notrump
PROBLEM H: Club Ace

peuco

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2022, 05:57:29 PM »
A. 3H Pd can have 5 and i have made a lot of Xs with only 2 Cs to receive "wishy foolish" C bids
B. tilting towards 3NT as opposed to 4H. When non vul vs vul they preempt on nothing and six carders
C. 5H Pd: if you have good Hs bid 6
D. why Pd did not X previously? i do not see good HCP bec he has probably 3 Ss and he did not X. Only way to good HCP is he has 5 Hs, not very likely. My hand seems suited for defense so i Pass
E. 3NT what else ?
F. BWS does not allow me to X for penalties so: 3NT
G. D 10. 4D seems a phony bid to me. Both opps bidding cautiously and suddenly 4D ?

peuco

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2022, 07:33:50 PM »
thanks Blu

G. 4H

veredk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2022, 05:39:58 PM »
A-3H, staying low, if partner bids 3S I will pass
B-pass, leave the X in. With flat hands defend
C- 2S, support for Hearts (I hope), need to make a forcing bid
D- pass,
E- 3NT, hopeful
F- 3NT
G- 4H, partner limited himself
H- 10D, a passive lead

yleexotee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2022, 04:48:11 AM »
Here is my first run at these:
A - 5C  pard's X at the 3 level surely shows a bit more than minimum, 4C would be promising zero, so I'm taking my shot.
B- 4H same as A, finding game with 10 points. These aren't always going to make but I'll take my chances over the ops preempts these days
C - 2S Presumabely, this is a good heart raise. MSC has not been kind to these kinds of bids, but its what I would do in real life to see if we have slam or something.
D - I actually wrote down Pass  ??
E - and then it happened again  Pass ??
F - 2nt or 3C, really not sure on this one, but leaning toward the 2nt
G - 3H seems like a normal bid, since they are telling us that is a transfer. so....must be wrong. 4h?
H - was thinking A of C first, but then also wrote 10 of D

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2022, 02:31:05 PM »
I am just getting started but I am also thinking of 5C on A.
A TO doubler assumes his partner has some values, if he always took the pessimistic view he would never get into the auction. So I must bid with this in mind, and ask myself whether I have more than pard is expecting for his TO X. It seems to me that I do have more. But is it enough more? A close call, I think.

If I bid 4C, partner is going to pass, almost certainly. He has forced me to bid, my 4C says I have some clubs, that's it. So it's up to me, I can bid 4C and play in 4C, or I can bid 5C and play in 5C.

I have this coin I might flip.
Ken

peuco

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2022, 04:49:19 PM »
SOLUTIONS FOR:
Francisco

PROBLEM A: 3 Hearts
PROBLEM B: 3 Hearts
PROBLEM C: 5 Hearts
PROBLEM D: Pass
PROBLEM F: 3 Notrump
PROBLEM G: 4 Hearts
PROBLEM H: Diamond 10

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2022, 11:06:02 AM »
I don't know what the problem is, but I have struggled to get onto (or stay on) the pigpen site recently.

Problem A:  4 !C  I have played this form of two-bid (when I do, we call them action twos).  They can be very effective and hard to bid defensively on.  So I hate coming up against the bid, as I am here.  Partner has doubled, I suspect we are just shy of game values.  I cannot show strength and keep us out of game, so I have to guess between a possible Moysian, when there may be a 5-3 major-suit fit, 3NT without holding the stopper myself, or bid 4 !C and hope partner converts with five in one of the majors.

Problem B:  3 !H  This is one of the worst 10-counts that I have seen.  I am not trotting 3 NT on a J-fourth stopper, and not jumping to 4 !H on a potential Moysian with bad breaks.  If we belong higher, maybe partner has the extras to make the move.

Problem C:  2 !S  My first inclinations were 6 and then 5 !H - the first to bid what I think we can make, the second to hopefully get some cooperation from partner.  However, I think the right thing to do is cue-bid and hope partner doesn't think I am exposing a psyche. 

Problem D:  Pass  Who knows what is going on.  It sounds like partner has hearts and values.  I certainly do not have a penalty double of diamonds, and I don't think partner is inviting me to bid.

Problem E: Pass Partner is not using my bid as a springboard to 3NT and did not manufacture a reverse, so I think it is time to pull in my horns and go quietly.

Problem F:  Pass  Why do I feel like I am in deja vu situation?  Here I am in a non-forcing pass auction, thinking that I want partner to reopen with a double - just like last month.  Oh, but I doubled last month because it should have been clear that it was not "cooperative-takeout" like it is this time.

Problem G: 4 !H  Partner is generally showing long hearts and a weak hand, but not that weak - with club shortness and nice heart fillers, let's give the vulnerable game at imps a shot.

Problem H:  !C A  RHO sounds short in clubs, so maybe this is the time to lay down an ace for a peak.  The !D 10 is my backup plan - hopefully passive.  Both majors look wrong to me.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 03:39:58 AM by jcreech »
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2022, 01:51:33 PM »
I also was wondering about the site. Since I could get onto BBO and other sites the problem presumably wasn't my computer, although strange tings happen with tech these days. I checked with others and, no surprise, they were having trouble too so I figured I would just wait it out.

With A, I earlier guessed 5C although I did not much like it. Now I am thinking of 4D. What should partner make of this? Could I really be 4-4 in the majors? I passed 2D but now, after 3D on my left and a pass on my right, I have decided to force to game. If the auction had been an opening bid of 3D on my left, double by pard, pass on my right and 4D by me, pard will think I have both majors at least until I do something surprising at my next call. But here he has to reconcile this with my pass on the first round.

I don't think he can work out that I am 3=3=2=5, he would need esp (or a hidden camera) for that, but if by any chance he has four clubs he might decide 5C is a good choice. Mostly he could well have had a five card major, say 5=4=1=3, and double 3D. Bidding 4D now keeps that chance open. Since I passed first round, I am trusting he will not now decide to bid 6 of something.

I think it's a tough problem. I think all MSC problems are tough problems, even those that at firstdon't look tough.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 01:54:26 PM by kenberg »
Ken

blubayou

• IACAdmins
  • lifelong director [1977-2010] and haunter of ACBL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2022, 05:12:26 PM »
PROBLEM G:>> Any crappy response that includes Qxxxxx in hearts  will have at least a PLAY  for 4 !H , and many where the north trumps are all small. That lets out our 3 !H  rebid.   At the other end of possibilities,  how about : void, Qxxxxx, Kxxx, Axx? or slightly better?  In this case,  our rebid needs to be "4 !D ", and off to the races.   Yes--this wrongsides the transfer when north can only croak "4 !H ",  but perhaps is club holding needs protection as much as our diamonds do.  Perhaps. 
  As I write this, I notice that when his hearts are ACE-sixth,  the rest of his hand will be useless trash,  if he was intending to transfer and drop us in 3, and then I will be sorry, especially if there is a trump looser  :(
                                          ..anyway     ---Four  !D ---
PROBLEM H:> What Jim said above      ---Club Ace---
« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 05:20:38 PM by blubayou »
often it is better to beg forgiveness, than ask permission

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2022, 06:12:08 PM »
PROBLEM G:>> Any crappy response that includes Qxxxxx in hearts  will have at least a PLAY  for 4 !H , and many where the north trumps are all small. That lets out our 3 !H  rebid.   At the other end of possibilities,  how about : void, Qxxxxx, Kxxx, Axx? or slightly better?  In this case,  our rebid needs to be "4 !D ", and off to the races.   Yes--this wrongsides the transfer when north can only croak "4 !H ",  but perhaps is club holding needs protection as much as our diamonds do.  Perhaps. 
  As I write this, I notice that when his hearts are ACE-sixth,  the rest of his hand will be useless trash,  if he was intending to transfer and drop us in 3, and then I will be sorry, especially if there is a trump looser  :(
                                          ..anyway     ---Four  !D ---
PROBLEM H:> What Jim said above      ---Club Ace---

Somebody tackle me! Though I am not convinced it's best, I actually sorta like Blu's 4 !D:o :o :o
But bidding 4 !H right-sides and conveys similar information, without pinpointing my hole in clubs. So I'll probably still go with 4 !H.
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

duffer66

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2022, 09:42:09 PM »

duffer66PROBLEM A: 4 Clubs
PROBLEM B: Pass
PROBLEM C: 4 Hearts
PROBLEM D: 3 Clubs
PROBLEM F: 3 Diamonds
PROBLEM G: 3 Notrump
PROBLEM H: Heart 2

hoki

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2022, 06:17:57 AM »
A 4, with less I'd try and sign off in a major; this allows pard to bid four
of a major while inviting 5.

B 3, it's not inconceivable that the opponents can make their contract
if partner is balancing aggressively with a diamond singleton or void.

C 2, we are far too strong to sign off in game, so I'm going slowly
but have no idea how the auction will actually proceed but I can certainly follow up
with a club cue bid later - and if that is going to torture partner, then so be it.

D Pass, I would normally double but BWS's modern system doesn't allow
us to make this most flexible of bids.

E Pass, my hand made a minimum response and opener's jump is clearly
based on a distributional hand. I don't have more than what I said.

F 3, maybe I'm overlooking something but this looks to be obvious.

G 3, doing what pard asked for.

H 10, pretty much by elimination.