Author Topic: 2022 FEBRUARY MSC  (Read 10240 times)

yleexotee

• View Profile
Re: 2022 FEBRUARY MSC
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2021, 04:45:26 AM »
A) as a reverse - dislike NT with ace singleton
b) 3N
c) 3h
d) 2nt
E) 2n showing stoppers in M
F) 3nt
G) 1n
h)  !D K

I see Feb 2022 on MSC page not January
   These can't be right, at least one of them is insufficient

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2021, 11:55:51 AM »
H - AD. This will be the second time in history that an MSC has only ONE answer...(but someone tell me what the lead is in BWS from AKx. is it ace or king?)

Quote from: BWS2017
Against suit contracts:
   (i) Honor leads: ace from ace-king; top from a sequence; highest equal from an interior sequence

A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

blubayou

• IACAdmins
  • lifelong director [1977-2010] and haunter of ACBL
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2021, 02:57:50 PM »
Quote from Yleexotee:
C - 2D. I'm not passing and letting them play in 2C, pard now knows I have a big hand, and they can punch in a NT bid with spades stopped twice.

Partner left in our double of the 1 S opening  so he has QJT97 or better there, if not a 6th one as well. There's no need to punt the notrump declaration to him, if you are craving to get to notrump :) . She did elect to take 7 or more tricks in spades opposite some 11-count 3 suiter over here, and with 16 guns, I was betting on the "or more".

often it is better to beg forgiveness, than ask permission

blubayou

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2021, 03:53:19 PM »
Bulletin!:  Problem G  is SOLVED!
   This month, in the probing for 3NT,  partner skipped a cue in DIAMONDS  (1NT, 2 !C ; 2 !D , 3 !C ; 3HEARTS, __)
Therefore we have the right to expect some spades over there and not feel STUCK with bidding more clubs.   I see lots of hands where 5of our minor is sketchy at best despite maximum 3 card support--including the one we were actually dealt last month as problem F, and its twin brother in my boldfaced post upthread.
            ---3NT, the bid I should have made instead of showing my minor in the first place---

bAbsG

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2021, 06:57:03 PM »
SOLVER: Babs Giesbrecht

Your Solutions for the February 2022 Contest 
-------------------
PROBLEM A: 2 Diamonds
PROBLEM B: 1 Notrump
PROBLEM C: 2 Diamonds
PROBLEM D: 4 Hearts
PROBLEM E: 3 Spades
PROBLEM F: Double
PROBLEM G: 3 Spades
PROBLEM H: Diamond Ace

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2021, 08:21:43 PM »

On Problem G, I'm probably going to be a lone bidder here. Partner's 3 !H seems to be highlighting a problem in spades. So, rather than 3 !H, with both majors stopped wouldn't partner just bid 3NT? I envision partner with some sort of 2=3=5=3 or 2=3=6=2 or 3=3=5=2 or similar combined with a big hole in spades. Would 3 !S now elicit a 3NT from partner with !S Jxx? Does it promise more in spades from me? 

Therefore, if partner is thinking similarly, does 4 !D from me now show three or four diamonds and deny a four card spade suit (which then points to my having four hearts)? I think so.

But maybe 4 !H is safest.

Or not.

This one is hard!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 08:24:35 PM by Masse24 »
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2021, 09:04:01 PM »
I'll be submitting soon (I had better) but I want to think a bit more.

On G, I am sure I would bid 4H at the table. I am having trouble seeing why I would not.

2C showed at least one major, or at least it did after the later 3C
partner's 2D denied a four card major.
Now he bids 3H? If pard is holding the AQx of hearts and two small spades I can imagine 4H is a good contract.
Of course we have to ask why they did not get into the auction, but that's their problem. Maybe they have only nine spades. At any rate, 4H might be best.
Basic idea: Pard will understand that I have decent hearts, nothing in spades, a decent club suit, good values. He can choose.

I am still thinking about E. If I pass it might get passed out. That might be ok. If pard can't re-open I am not so sure we have a game anywhere, so I am reluctant to force pard to bid one. If I wait, and then pard re-opens, probably with a double, I can bid 3S and he can now bid a game wherever he thinks is right. Seems like a pass and then 3S should say something like "Not enough to force to game after just a 1C opening, but enough to force to game after you re-open". Keeps him from getting too excited.

But who knows?
Ken

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2021, 11:55:53 PM »
I usually try to be among the first with initial thoughts, but was caught up too much at work this month.  Below are thoughts that are subject to change, but I certainly will have less time to second guess myself.

Problem A:  2 !D  Since partner bid 2 !C, showing an invitational plus sort of hand, I think I should allow partner to tell me more.  Anything else may get partner to distort their hand, and I want to collect more information before I decide where we are headed.
Problem B:  may I have an undo please, we are playing weak NT, and that is what I want to open - it is auctions like this that make me prefer playing weak NT systems
Problem C:  Dbl Partner was willing to defend 1 !S X, so now they are one level higher still seeking to find a home.  I'm not sure where we belong, but I suspect it is defending something doubled.  Pass is non-forcing, and my hand is too good for that when partner was willing to defend at the one-level.
Problem D:  4 !D  I could try hearts on the Moysian, but I think it is safer to play in diamonds.  But boy is that Moysian tempting - the tap is coming in the right hand and AJxx is reasonable to control the suit from my side.
Problem E:  3 !S  Show strength, show fit (partner should have real clubs with 9 between RHO and myself), imply partial spade stop for 3NT conversion.
Problem F:  Dbl  I am not as certain as Joe about unanimity.  I can see someone choosing to bid 3NT or 6 !D with this hand, but by-and-large this will be a double to start.
Problem G:  3 !S  Making a cooperating cue-bid.
Problem H:  !D A  I want to lead partner's hearts, but which one will be right?  Lead a top diamond to get a peak at dummy first sounds right to me.

SOLUTIONS FOR:
James Creech
FREDERICKSBURG 22407
U.S.A.

PROBLEM C: Double
PROBLEM D: 4 Diamonds
PROBLEM E: 3 Spades
PROBLEM G: 3 Spades
PROBLEM H: Diamond Ace
« Last Edit: January 01, 2022, 12:31:16 AM by jcreech »
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

blubayou

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2021, 12:05:35 AM »
Ken.. you are now an honorary 'brit"..over here,  reopening a WJO passed around is AUTOMATIC--if she holds 0-2 spades.   think again. consult your  extensive library about  this point.  ( if they steal from us  playing a 6-1 fit , undoubled,   i can only say  it has happened to me 4 timesin100 deals

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2021, 12:15:28 AM »
SOLVER: Ken Berg
        320 Quail Drive
        Sykesville MD 21784
        U.S.A.

Your Solutions for the February 2022 Contest
-------------------
PROBLEM C: 2 Diamonds
PROBLEM D: 4 Hearts
PROBLEM E: Pass
PROBLEM G: 4 Hearts
PROBLEM H: Spade 3
Ken

ccr3

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2021, 12:33:56 AM »
Problem G: The way I see it partner's hand is not limited. There is a possibility of slam in clubs.
                  I'm in a quandary about showing the spade for fear partner may misconstrue the
                  meaning. But bidding 3S inviting 3nt, I can correct by bidding 4 clubs. Then we might
                  get to 6 clubs. But still thinking.

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2021, 02:35:47 AM »
FEBRUARY Guesses

SOLUTIONS FOR:
Todd Holes

PROBLEM A: 4 Spades. I would like for 3 !S to be forcing, but the methods are unclear.
PROBLEM B: 1 Notrump. The only one I really feel any confidence about. Which means a 70.
PROBLEM C: Double. Worth another double. This is better than 2 !D.
PROBLEM D: 4 Diamonds. Really ugly. Hamman whispered in my ear, but I turned away.
PROBLEM E: 2 Notrump. Sketchy stop, but I'll go with it. The value bid.
PROBLEM F: 1 Diamond. Tactical. Where are the hearts?
PROBLEM G: 4 Hearts. Moysian? I really worry that not bidding 4 !D now misses partners five-card suit. No guts.
PROBLEM H: Spade 3. Reduce ruffs.

I am prepared for a 450 this month!
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2021, 02:37:44 AM »
Problem G: The way I see it partner's hand is not limited.

Other than the 1NT opening.  ;)

ccr3

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2021, 03:05:36 AM »
Problem G: Oops, so it is. Still doesn't stop me from trying for slam in clubs.
                 I'm sticking with 3S. ???    MY hand is unlimited.  Thanks Todd.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 03:08:06 AM by ccr3 »

ccr3

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2021, 03:27:27 AM »
Problem A: 4 !S
Problem B: 1NT
Problem C: Double
Problem D: 4 !H
Problem E: Double
Problem F: Double
Problem G: 3 !S