Author Topic: wacko fun  (Read 2120 times)

kenberg

• View Profile
wacko fun
« on: September 23, 2021, 12:57:09 AM »
There was a fun hand in Wacko Jack's session yesterday that I will say a bit about. I didn't save it but perhaps I can get the essentials. It was the last one played. I don't know vul and such, but here is the hand:

AKx
AJTxxx
void
QJxx

You open 1H, opponents are silent throughout., partner bids 3C. Later it was said this was explained as Bergen, I don't know if it was stipulated whether it was the stronger of the two Bergen calls (so reverse bergen) or the weaker of the two. So we had a somewhat chaotic auction after that, ending in the right contract.

But suppose it is the stronger version of Bergen, meaning 4+ hearts, game invitational.

What do you do, and what does it mean? I have not found a definitive explanation of 1S-3C-3D but as I have played it, the 3D call says: Well, I am not sure about 4S. I have too much to want to sign off in 3S, but I think I would like your input before choosing 4S. In fact, it is my understanding that this is exactly why Bergen reversed the meanings of 3C and 3D from the original version where 3D was the game invit. Of course once you decide on that meaning, you sometimes also use it to judge about slams. Bid 1S-3C-3D, and then, if partner signs off in 3S you go on to 4S. The conclusion is that if pard had bid 4S over 3D, or anything other than pass,  then opener might go on to slam, but after the passable 3S he figures 4S is enough.

There was some discussion of what 3D meant, and I believe what I say is reasonably standard, but I can't promise everyone plays it that way. One of the reasons that I prefer to skip bergen in a casual game is that not everyone agrees about what happens next. 

This still leaves us with the question of what to do. If you bid 3D, partner bids 4C. What then?

I'll now give you the hands:
x
xxxx
AQTxxx
Ax

AKx
AJTxxx
void
QJxx

We reached the completely sensible contract of 6H. I can't say I am happy with my line of play but I made it. The lead was a spade, after which I think the right line is to win the opening lead, cash the heart A, and when everyone follows claim twelve tricks.

Exactly how to bid these is not totally clear to me but surely the right start is to be sure about what means what after 1S-3C, hence this post. One of the purposes of the various lessons is just that, to look for places where meanings need to be discussed.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 12:31:52 PM by kenberg »
Ken

blubayou

• IACAdmins
  • lifelong director [1977-2010] and haunter of ACBL
    • View Profile
Re: wacko fun
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2021, 03:03:46 PM »
I believe the one-and-only reason they 'reversed' the two bergen bids was to create a 'waffle'
 (!3 !D )  after the ~11 point raise?  If the waffle is allegedly a counter-try for reaching GAME,  I would say  that this device is more useful by far against the  7--9+ bergen hand,  but if it is a signal to start a cue for slam on responder's rebid, then OK.  One of the MSC panelists said just this past month "We don't invite back when invited", so it needs to be discussed whether or not the asking 3D (WHEN RBergen 3 !C is used) is a game-force with ONLY slam bidding in mind, or if responder's returning to the agreed major might be dropped after all.   
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 03:12:55 PM by blubayou »
often it is better to beg forgiveness, than ask permission

kenberg

• View Profile
Re: wacko fun
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2021, 05:59:24 PM »
I believe the one-and-only reason they 'reversed' the two bergen bids was to create a 'waffle'
 (!3 !D )  after the ~11 point raise?  If the waffle is allegedly a counter-try for reaching GAME,  I would say  that this device is more useful by far against the  7--9+ bergen hand,  but if it is a signal to start a cue for slam on responder's rebid, then OK.  One of the MSC panelists said just this past month "We don't invite back when invited", so it needs to be discussed whether or not the asking 3D (WHEN RBergen 3 !C is used) is a game-force with ONLY slam bidding in mind, or if responder's returning to the agreed major might be dropped after all.

I decided to look at Larry Cohen's thoughts.  I was stunned to see him praising the use of 1M-3C as a natural invitational bid! Does Bergan know of this?!
I like that treatment myself, but I just assumed LC used Bergen raises.

https://www.larryco.com/bridge-articles/major-openings-part-1

Ken