Author Topic: 2022 JANUARY MSC  (Read 7490 times)

Masse24

• View Profile
2022 JANUARY MSC
« on: November 04, 2021, 12:01:06 PM »
JANUARY 2022 MSC
Deadline: NOV 30 at 11:59 p.m. (ET)

Submit your JANUARY MSC responses here: The Bridge World - MASTER SOLVERS CLUB

BWS 2017 System: BWS 2017
BWS 2017 POLLS, CHANGES AND ADDITIONS: BWS 2017 - Polls, Changes, and Additions
  • Bridge World Standard 2017 (BWS or BWS2017) is effective beginning with the January 2017 Master Solvers' Club problems. This page shows (1) the results of the panelist polls that were used to adjust the system; and (2) the changes in and the additions to Bridge World Standard 2001 (BWS2001) that were made.
    In the listings of the questions and answers, an asterisk indicates the BWS2001 agreement; the proportion of the expert votes for each item, rounded to the nearest percent, is shown in brackets.

IAC Forum MSC Scores

“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

blubayou

• IACAdmins
  • lifelong director [1977-2010] and haunter of ACBL
    • View Profile
Re: 2022 JANUARY MSC
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2021, 03:20:04 PM »
Problem E:  D:>>  For us Glass Half Empty guys, We will  put our KJx,  Ax, 87234,  Q52 across from......QTxx, Kxxx, Jx, AKx.  Why not?  That puts my knee-jerk 'compromise' bid of single raise in clubs in a terrible light.   the value-bid of 1NT  surely will  make on the nose opposite that, but possibly not two of ANYthing!   On the other hand,  if partner has a decent DISTRIBUTIONAL hand,  a free 1NT will put us at cross purposes if I make that bid.  On the third hand <lol> I don't know how I can catch up if I just sit on these goodies for a round, either.   It is stupid to just lurk with clearly values for a free bid AND THEN  take pard's reopening to 1NT, so catering to pard's having someting like the above, I will  jump in directly:
                                                              --- One Notrump---

Problem E:>> Would this hand bid Stayman, followed by3D ? :  Q, KQxx, Qxxxxx, Qx ? If so, then I better show my spade feature, and accept this hand's 3NT re-re-bid, and HOPE to make it.  Near the other extreme, when center opp has: AQxx, KQx, Qxxxxx, -- , 3 Spades will cause him to either "raise" spades or cue the club void, after which a couple rounds of bidding may well get us to the grand, but at least small.  Not a hand to give the 'get lost' 3NT rebid on despite having "only fifteen"..  show a notrump feature and let partner tell if he want's to let it end (3NT)  or if we are off to the races.
                                                            --- Three Spades ---
p.p.s.:  I think somebody I know will say  that my 'minimal" example' at the top  is unworthy of a 3-minor rebid?

Problem F:>> I don't know what to do with problem F now, or maybe ever,  but i am more convinced than ever that the Bridge World is trying hard to get XYZ (NT)   voted into the next version of  BW Standard.  Piece of cake,  with that gadget agreed.  ( They used to do these little "campaigns" , back in the day.)  Some of the old farts like myself have groused loudly that NSGF, when that bid is 2C or 2D,  is abominable,  ie: that there should be some invitational continuations.  We expect to hear from one or two of them in a month. 
For now  Invite-Jump in my own suit seems to be ok,  but at least one more call is in the running....
                                                        --- Three Hearts ---
Problem G:>>   BWS  plays that a 2 !S  'undercall' shows a good hand.   Even though our opp may not be a believer,  the colours say  he does have that good hand.  I.E.  a red ace on the side.   So we will have to run 9 tricks on the fly  and I see only 8.               ---4 Clubs ---
« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 09:22:13 PM by blubayou »
often it is better to beg forgiveness, than ask permission

peuco

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2021, 04:46:10 PM »
I think Blu meant problem D instead of F  :)

peuco

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2021, 04:46:52 PM »
lol instead of E comedy of errors here

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2021, 09:49:46 PM »
Initial thoughts.

Problem A:  2NT  Too good to pass, not good enough to insist on anything.  At least I have enough reasonable spades to pretend I have a stop.

Problem B:  3 !S  I am tempted to bid 3NT, but then where are my tricks.  If partner does not have fitting cards, it just becomes a horrible call.  I need spade tricks in both contracts.  At least by overcalling, the suit is in the mix for the final contract.

Problem C:  4 !S  At the risk of channeling Al Roth - what's the problem?  Well, the problem is whether I should be bidding higher to help shut out the opponents.  Nonetheless, it is difficult to bid at the five-level no matter how shapely your hand might be.

Problem D: 1 NT  I'm a bit heavy for the bid, but if partner has a boatload of clubs, they can be bid again.  Nothing available in the majors, so it is either pass or bid 1NT for me.

Problem E:  4 !D  At the risk of violating THE rule, I am bidding 4 !D.  Partner sounds worried about a short suit, and despite having five in that probable suit, I am worried too.  4 + something else still adds to down one in 3NT.

Problem F:  3 !H  I don't like the hand well enough to force NV at matchpoints, so I will just invite.

Problem G:  ?  Still trying to decipher the cryptic note.  Without it, I would have bid 3NT in a flash.  With it, I fear a tell me something about your hand, and then which story do I tell?  I have fifth club and doubleton honors in partner's suit, in addition to a partial spade stop.  I may just bid the 3NT to leave the most room for partner to continue whatever plan they started.

Problem H: !S K  Not sure I will stick with this answer, but I am far more likely to hit stiff Q in dummy or Qx with partner if a spade is correct to set this contract.  The !D K may be an entry, and spades are unlikely to produce tricks if I don't start them on the go.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 12:10:31 PM by jcreech »
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

peuco

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2021, 04:51:18 PM »
A. Pass 2H sounds as lead directing
B. 3S few HCP for 3NT
C. 4S only alternative 5S
D. Pass
E. 3H cue bid with those Ds
F. 3H hope not 8 tricks is the maximum. Agree with Blu
G. 3NT well pd asked for a stopper and I have one
H. S J i hate partners who bid a suit and lead another one

blubayou

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2021, 03:43:20 AM »
Four of this month's problems  need the conversations to get rolling--see above, and 'rebut' or not.  here are the other four...
Problem A: In life, it would never occur to me to push on  (my 'intruder' seat bids are in liNe with Peuco's thinking)                                                    --- PASS ---

Problem B:  'They'  always bid 3NT with this,  and when it's wrong, usually  "3 !S "  is equally or MORE wrong.   'Pass'  and 'double'  = no comment, except "double" gets zero to 1 vote.
                                                                 --- 3 Notrump ---

Problem C:  The obvious, is my choice;  "5S" does not mean this,  and other bids/passes  are psyches, that I'll leave to others. Do we REMEMBER, over a year ago, the 'hint' that BWS uses "1 !H / !S ,[pass]3NT"  as  "a pre-emptive raise with some teeth"?   Therefore, this utterly toothless thing is in line with the system for a direct 4-bid 8)
                                                         --- 4 Spades ---

Problem H: pinning the spade queen..  Somebody talk me out of this!
                                                         ---- Spade King ---
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 10:43:13 PM by blubayou »

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2021, 12:16:31 PM »
Since Todd uses his name in vain quite frequently in this venue, I thought it would be appropriate to pass on the news here (reported in Bridge Winners, https://bridgewinners.com/article/view/hamman-heading-home/):

Hamman Heading Home!
by Phil Clayton 17 hours ago

"Bob's wife Petra asked me to share this with the BW community:

After 3 1/2 months since COVID struck, Bob is leaving the last facility this Friday, 11/19.

Bob is almost back to his old self, albeit 43 lbs lighter.

He just needs a few more sessions of physical therapy before he can be on his own.

All is good!!!!

In case you are wondering, Bob is not expected to attend Austin but as many of you know, he and Peter Weichsel were augmented to the USA2 D'Orsi team. "
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2021, 12:57:54 PM »
No, Jim. Never in vain. Never any disrespect.
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

yleexotee

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2021, 09:58:49 PM »
Initial thoughts: (but don't listen to me, I just crashed and burned with a 39% in the robot NABC)

A - 2nt
B - 3S
C- 4S
D - 1nt (but considering a less feisty 2D)
E - 3H diamond support
F- 2H, but considering 3H, or 2nt
G- 3NT, I hope the hint just means a lack of clubs, not sure
H - maybe 10 of clubs, or a passive heart lead, hoping to hold ops to 1S trick at most, so won't lead them

hoki

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2021, 04:27:49 AM »
A 3.  Partner has made a two-level overcall vulnerable. I would not fault my partner
for looking elsewhere for partners if I passed a perfectly respectable 11-count.

B  3♠

C  4♠

D  1NT

E  changed to 3NT (thanks to Jock)

F  2, okay my diamond jack is worth a point, but I look askance at my lone queen.

G  3NT, but I accept the argument that we probably make only eight tricks.
I'm really rather now wishing that I'd passed this aceless collection unless my
partner is aware that I sometimes open trashy hands.

H  ♠J - someone asked to be talked out of leading the king, so I'll try. The
worst scenario that I can think of is Q-x-x with declarer and A-x with partner.
How sick would that make you feel, partner rightly unblocking the ace and
returning your suit?

« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 09:48:48 PM by hoki »

blubayou

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2021, 01:32:04 PM »
Thanks Oliver for offering up some good food for thought!
  On prob A:  Many of us have given up the idea of bidding game "on points"  against the strong NT opening, without a fit + distribution, but xxxx, xx, AKJx, Kxx  facing  A, AKxxxx, xxx, xxx does indeed look like 6 tricks north + 4 tricks south -- and leaves the opposition with "18 of the worst".  So deal A may be an exception. Hmm

On E F:  you are so right that the Club Queen seems complete rubbish ( unless pard, having club length totally misfits hearts, which is another pile or rubbish news),  So, as Pat whispered to me, this may be the Return of the Hideous Underbid  ie: 2H!

On H:  HOW GROSS  when the spade king lead "pins" the short spade ACE  no matter which of the 3 other hands holds it!  You made me revisit what I seem to be hoping for--Axx in declarer's hand then realize that if that were the case,  what chance is there that we get in  with our diamond king??.  I still don't know how to beat this 3NT, but agree  spade king opening lead is just frivolous thrill-seeking. Thanks HOKI

Now to return the favor for the help you have given all us who read these comments--
PROBLEM E:  Research on  "Stayman, then 3 of a minor" in BWS2017 says simply that this is forcing and will have a side major suit.  Doesn't SAY "slam-try"  BUT leaves no other sequence in the system that means "REALLY REALLY FORCINGGG!"   ( Jumping in a minor is --hold onto your hats:-->  SOUTH AFRICAN TEXAS,  ie: not about minor suits at all<-- [ HOW did they ever get a poll consensus on THAT idea??]). So dropping 3 Diamonds may find us in a partial with KTx, AJ, AKX, xxxxx facing AQxx, KQX, Qxxxxx, ---etc etc.  the system doesn't have any alternative for that north hand other than burying the major and giving a diamond transfer.   Please reconsider your pass, and get 2022 off to a jolly start :)
    You're Welcome,  and Thank you as well.   Yosimity
« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 09:12:44 PM by blubayou »

peuco

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2021, 07:57:31 PM »
SOLUTIONS FOR:
Francisco

PROBLEM A: Pass
PROBLEM B: 3 Spades
PROBLEM C: 4 Spades
PROBLEM D: Pass
PROBLEM E: 3 Hearts
PROBLEM F: 3 Hearts
PROBLEM G: 3 Notrump
PROBLEM H: Spade Jack

hoki

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2021, 07:30:11 AM »
Thanks for your comments Jock and thanks for listening to my comments.
So if 3 is forcing on E, can I bid 3NT?  Any other bid would seem to show
diamond support with slam interest - and I have neither four-card diamond
support nor slam interest with my absolute minimum. Or is partner fishing
for a three-card major in which case I should bid 3♠.

This would not be the first time that I find BWS cumbersome. If a transfer
followed by a new-suit bid is game-forcing with slam interest, I agree with
you that Stayman followed by a new-suit bid should be treated likewise.

Btw, I think you've got E (Stayman + minor) and F (dubious queen) the
other way around.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 07:32:19 AM by hoki »

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2021, 03:32:55 PM »
I'm just getting started but I see that so far I am the only nut case bidding 3D on Problem A.
A frequent maxim in bridge: Don't rescue a partner who has not been doubled. So, if 3D is not a rescue, and even w/o the maxim it seems crazy to think I would be bidding 3D as a rescue, then what am i doing? It must be that I have a decent hand with diamonds that did not seem right for an overcall of 2D on the first round but now seems right for 3D. Maybe that's what I have. Some decent values with D cards if pard wants to play in NT, a couple of hearts if pard wants to play on hearts, and if pard wants to leave me in Ds he is likely to be short in spades and so whatever Ds he has are likely to be very useful. It seems that since I passed 2S and now bid 3D,  surely I must be ok with pard rebidding hearts neither a D contract nor a NT contract seems right.
 Continuing on;

A: 3D
B: 3S
C: 4S
D: Pass
E: 4D
F: 3H
G: 4C
H: I can see leading the spade K and I just might. At least if I think my choices come down to spade J or spade K the K has merit. But I am not sure at all.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 07:10:51 PM by kenberg »
Ken