Author Topic: 1  (Read 1226 times)

wackojack

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« on: October 17, 2021, 10:36:48 PM »
 I think many know that I am a fan of multi-Landy, failing that Landy with a positive aversion to Cappeletti. 

This came up recently where my partner plays multi-Landy: 1!C - (p) - 1NT -(2 !C)

He maintains that 2 !C here is also Landy holding the majors.  I didnt know about this but see that it is entirely logical and does not apeear to have any disadvantages. 

We then went on to discuss the other possible bids and came up with this: Does it make sense?  Partner says:

Generalising our defence to 1NT to the opps 1Y-1NT, then it could work like this:
(1C) - p - (1NT) - 2C  = Landy

(1D) - p - (1NT) - 2D  = a six card major

(1H) - p - (1NT) - 2H  = 5/4+   spades & a minor

(1S) - p - (1NT) - 2S  = 5/4+   hearts & a minor (good hand)

I say:  Yes this looks exactly right.  I think I will remember that 2S = H +m and 2H = S+m as it cannot mean anything else.
Partner says:   

For other bids, considering the 1C-1NT bid, then here's a system of responses to consider, building on our existing conventions

(1C) - p - (1NT) - 2C  = Landy

- 2D = D + Major

- 2H = natural (strong, 1RF)

- 2S = natural (strong, 1RF)

- 2N = both minors, if 1C can be short

- 3C = strong, asking for a stop in C's, bid 3NT if you have A, Kx, QJx or better

- 3D = natural (strong, 1RF)

- X = 6+ suit, weak, relay to 2C, pass and correct (a Lebensohl-style bid)

I say:

I think I would like to have double for penalties with a strong balanced hand particularly if opps play 1NT opening bids as 15-17.  Then 1C-1NT could be 12 +6 = 18 balanced opposite balanced.  Some +300 or +500 would be possible. If the opps play 1NT opening = 12-14, then 1C opening would be a balanced 15+ or 5+clubs.  Then having a double available to show a balanced 15+ would still be useful.  I suggest after 1C -(P)-1NT-(?)
2C = Landy as above
2D = 6 card major
2H = H+D  (H+C is a waste as opps will always have at least 7 clubs)
2S = S + D
2NT= strong diamonds
3D = medium/ weak diamonds.   

The 2N bid to show strong diamonds will rarely come up so no great loss if it is not remembered.

What about 1D-(p)-1NT-(?)
I suggest that 2C should still be Landy and double should still be 15+ balanced.  That leaves us with 2D/H/S.  It would be logical for consistency and least memory load to have:
2D = 6 card major
2H = 5H + 4+clubs
2S = 5S + 4 + clubs
2NT = strong clubs
3C = medium weak clubs

kenberg

• View Profile
Re: 1
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2021, 01:45:47 PM »
I am not so sure I like this extension. Here is a situation, roughly described since I couldn't find the actual hand.

(1m)-Pass-(1NT)-?

I held a six-card heart suit, and modest values. So I bid 2H. Seems right. I am not sure I want to be in 3H, but 2H seemed right. Suppose that to bid my hearts I have to start with 2D. After the beginning auction, the opponents know some things about each other's hands. Lho knows that Rho has no four-card major. So he has some length somewhere in the minors. Say Lho holds five diamonds and three clubs. If I bid 2D he might feel comfortable doubling. Maybe my Rho has four Ds. Maybe he has five clubs. That X by Lho should help Rho figure out if he wants to compete. Say Lho doubles 2D, and Rho, knowing I am about to show my major, bids 3D. Now I do what? Mostly I probably just wish I could have bid 2H over 1NT and left further choices to partner.

Of course, we always have to balance the pluses and minuses of a convention, but after the (1m)-Pass-(1NT)-? start, I think I would like to bid my single suit directly if I can.

There is probably literature on this, there is literature on most everything. I'm open-minded but also a bit skeptical.
The two suited overcalls seem more useful but they probably come as a package with the single suit overcalls.
Ken