Author Topic: 2021 DECEMBER MSC  (Read 6122 times)

Masse24

• View Profile
2021 DECEMBER MSC
« on: October 03, 2021, 01:44:33 PM »
DECEMBER 2021 MSC
Deadline: OCT 31 at 11:59 p.m. (ET)

Submit your DECEMBER MSC responses here: The Bridge World - MASTER SOLVERS CLUB

BWS 2017 System: BWS 2017
BWS 2017 POLLS, CHANGES AND ADDITIONS: BWS 2017 - Polls, Changes, and Additions
  • Bridge World Standard 2017 (BWS or BWS2017) is effective beginning with the January 2017 Master Solvers' Club problems. This page shows (1) the results of the panelist polls that were used to adjust the system; and (2) the changes in and the additions to Bridge World Standard 2001 (BWS2001) that were made.
    In the listings of the questions and answers, an asterisk indicates the BWS2001 agreement; the proportion of the expert votes for each item, rounded to the nearest percent, is shown in brackets.

IAC Forum MSC Scores

“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

blubayou

• IACAdmins
  • lifelong director [1977-2010] and haunter of ACBL
    • View Profile
Re: 2021 DECEMBER MSC
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2021, 02:08:36 AM »
I am moved to a BRIEF list of least-bad votes  this week,  with a few rants and manifestos  coming in the distant future:
A::>  #1:  reverse into hearts   #2: open hearts, rebid D as second suit,  #3: open 1N

#4: 1D then rebid as if 12-14 (1NT rebid)       find the least bad of these, PLEASE.

forget that-- we all already know what the 1, 3, or more possible bids are, right?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 06:15:57 PM by blubayou »
often it is better to beg forgiveness, than ask permission

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2021, 09:36:53 PM »
My initial thoughts.  As last month showed, I will not be bound by these decisions, but offer them as straw selections to help get others to start thinking about their own choices.

Problem A:  a3 [1 ♦, then, after (Pass) — 1 ♠ — (Pass) — (a3) 2 ♥] I will start with diamonds and reverse into hearts.  I might be a hair light for the reverse, I may wish the diamonds were a bit better quality suit, but those are quibbles, not concerns.  Nothing else strikes me as being a better choice at this juncture.

Problem B:  6 !C  I will probably change my answer before submission.  What I would really like is to bid 4 !D as RKC for clubs.  I may end up bidding 4 !D anyway, as a fit-showing force, but there is no good way to find out what I need to know, so in the absence of science, try a punt.

Problem C:  2NT Lebehsohl, asking partner to bid 3 !C.  There are a lot of potential contracts just from my side.  So what is the most flexible approach?  If a direct bid of 3 !S shows hearts without a spade stopper, then it seems reasonable that by going through the lebensohl relay, that a 3 !S rebid after 3 !C, should show hearts with a spade stopper.  If that is the case, I have shown two of my possible strains - hearts and NT.  And partner has the opportunity to show diamonds with extra strength and length in that suit.

Problem D:  Pass  The vulnerability speaks loudly to me - they are red, we are white, partner has opened, and I am likely to be looking at four tricks myself.  Pass and then pass the reopening double.  I can only hope I get the chance for a penalty pass of hearts.

Problem E:  2NT I have both minors, so describe it and move on to the next hand  It might be better to put in the lead director and hold the clubs in reserve, but that can be part of my rethink before submitting.

Problem F:  3NT  Not happy, but I do have a stop that I can hold up on.  By bidding NT, it should deny at least four spades, so if partner pulls, they should be showing their better minor or spade length, so I should be well-placed for such a call.

Problem G:  Dbl  They say you should try to justify a reopening double whenever possible; this one is light on the clubs and possibly heavy on the spades, but who knows, partner may have the trap pass that makes it worthwhile.  Personally, I am hesitant due to the vulnerability, but I have been wrong before.

Problem H:  !S 2  Anything could be right.  Partner  has close to an opener and did not bid, so I am hoping that he has some spades behind the responder, similar to my having some diamonds behind the opener.  When the opponents have bid both of my long suits with a silent partner, that is when I truly hate the lead problems.
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2021, 03:16:51 PM »
Another opening, another show, as Cole Porter would say.

A. b2,1H. Some long forgotten expert said "AKQJ is a five card suit". I see it as the best chance to avoid disaster while still keeping hope alive. If I open 1NT pard might well have a 6 count and QTxxx in spades. Oops. And a 16 count can be enough for a reverse but not this 16 count. I want better diamonds to do that. If the spade A were a diamond A, and the D 2 a spade 2, I would happily open 1D but if I do it here and then bid 2h over 2S, I will find it tough to slow pard down. It's true that by opening 1H it might go 1H-1S-2D-2H and I play in a 4-2 fit. But I might survive that. And on many hands I will be fine.
So 1H.

B. X. Lho probably has 5+ hearts. We might end in 4S on a 4-3 fit, that might be ok, but we also might end in 3NT. Yesm it night belong in 6C. Italso might not belong in 6C.

C. 2NT but I need to look at agreements more fully, along Jim's line of thought.
 It says 3S asks about hearts while denying a spade stop. Fine. So 2NT-3C-3S asks about hearts while showing a spade stop? It's often played that way, and that's my intention.

D. 2NT is right on values and, if pard raises to 3NT, I think I will leave it there. If he pulls to 3C I will bid 3NT. If he passes 2NT we might be in a good spot.

E. 2D. I seriously doubt that this is our hand although maybe pard has spades. Mostly I think 2D is apt to be safe. 

F.  4H I passed 2H, I should think that 4H now asks pard to choose a minor. But of course who knows?

G: X. I am not passing. Maybe I should, but I am not. So X. If pard bids 2C I bid 2D and then whatever happens happens.

H. Who knows? Otherwise put, who has what? I have a 7 count and the opponents are passing this out. Pard has stayed silent. Who has four hearts? Opener I think. maybe he is 2=4=4=3. So maybe the club J? Well, pard not only did not X over 1S, he also did not bid 2C.  As others here are thinking, maybe a spade or a D? I sort of like small D. Sort of.

Continuing the Cole Porter theme:
"Four weeks we rehearse and rehearse, three weeks and it couldn't be worse, one week will it ever be right, ...."
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 03:18:24 PM by kenberg »
Ken

blubayou

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2021, 11:15:07 PM »
Problem A:>>  I don't believe  I have felt like copying Ken's thought  word for word before,  but count me in  for problem A.
Problem C:>>  Frank taught me not to be afraid of the "Stayman with a Stopper plan, by way of  lebensohl 2NT.  Obviously  if partner cannot show four hearts, she will "return" to notrump  much more often than she will bid the very awkward "4 !D " We hope  the 4-4 heart game if it exists will not go set.
]Problem B:>>  Somebody who has played rubber for money  tell us how to feel about locking up the first game, rather than blasting to a likely slam.  I assume  the below-the-line situation  is  "nil"  or  the b.W.  must have mentioned any leg.  Unless someone documents the virtue of GETTING VULNERABLE in the rubber, I am voting for a direct slam bid.[
P.S.  KEN:  You cannot play a 4-3 spade contract  in rubber!  (or IMPs)  with 5 1/2 clubs a laydown..  Tell us you didnt read the top line of the problem :)

Problem D:>>  Two Notrump seems perfect.   They didn't ask, but I would admit to spade tolerance if north rebids 3 of a minor, though  I can't quite see why we will need a trump suit.

Problem E:>>All 3 bids are wrong. ( I am counting "double" as a possible call)  So I pass.
Problem F:>>  Three Notrump ( TAKEOUT, in our dreams.)[/i]

Problem G:>>  "Double"--unanimous.   Really this should be a question about the next round of bidding --after "double, [pass], 2Clubs, [pass]"  shouldn't it?

Problem H:>>  Anything could be right, eh?  But I'm eliminating spades because even if we get a trick there,  we are going to loose the spot war in the end.  the low heart is my current favorite since it might hit partner,  or turn out to be a neutral led. 
« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 10:40:13 PM by blubayou »

peuco

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2021, 04:27:55 PM »
A. a3 i never expect perfect hands for a bid. And i prefer a slight overbid than a gross underbid. The imperfection of the reverse worries me less than opening 1H hearing 1S and biding 2D which misleads the count of the suits AND the strength of the hand
B. 4D if pd cues then slam else 5C. Pretty simple
C. 2NT non-problem using Lebensohl
D. Pass matchpoints agree 100% with Jim
E. Pass the 3 spades prevent me for bidding unusual
F. Pass 3NT hast the substantial risk of a S entry to the Hs and a minor game not clear so i refrain from bidding 4H
G. 1NT almost unanimously and i do not have the problem of the next round of bidding
H. D 4 i am with Blu

blubayou

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2021, 01:18:20 AM »
PROBLEM G::>>  WHAT the heck are you early musers looking at??   I see 16 working and a "useless"   !S Qx  (doubting that).   I don't  "try hard"  to reopen as opener with a double--i LUST for the chance!   the fact that my third bid, if needed can be my second suit t a minimum lever  is almost TOO comfortable.  Don't tell Major  Milktoast that I would gladly reopen 'red-card'  even if my minors were  !D Qx,  !C AKXX.
   But you early speakers have shaken my faith on all 28 panelists  to double in" .01 heartbeat"  :(
« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 01:20:06 AM by blubayou »

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2021, 10:36:21 AM »
Blu,

The concern is whether there is too much shape, or at least not enough right shape for the double.  Holding Qx in the opponents suit makes it more likely that partner is not licking his chops waiting for my double.  And the more points I hold, the less likely that partner has anything, so if we declare there may be little, if any, transportation between the hands.  These are some of the thoughts that lead me to be less than enthusiastic about a reopening double.
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

blubayou

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2021, 11:34:08 PM »
These will be my final answers UNLESS  I paste the official entry showing otherwise.

Problem A:>>   A lightening bolt just struck this morning:  They are gonna cut the Gordian Knot  and just...
                                                  ---OPEN 1 Notrump! --- 

Problem B:>>   Shawn's dad has played rubber bridge for the rent money,  and he says  "Get VUL  ASAP; 3NT or      5C  are ironclad."   In my ignorance,  I bid 6C anyway and expect to get beaten only  when diamonds are lead and ruffed by evil  LHO.                                                   ---  6 Clubs ---
  Bulletin:  Hoki has convinced me to see how many 1C openers may perfectly well lack two aces  (QJxx, KQ9X, J, Axxx ?)   --and don't count him out for having the diamond king LOL!   So,  I am backing off a notch, and settling for a cuebid.                 
                                                   --- 4 Diamonds ---

Problem C:>>   Stayman-with-a-stopper ,via  lebens. 2NT.  plan B .(.3C= nat. & not broke ) should be a DISTANT second.                               --- 2NT  ---
Dammit!  Hoki got  me again!  Why was I forcing game opposite a 12-count??  Re-opening a weak two  don't require a strong NT, nor a maxiRoman.   I disapprove of lebensohl in the "lurker" position  but  BWS doesn't share that view, so not-broke  3C  comes in handy here.
                                                        ---3C ---

Problem D:>>   Going for the throat  is gaining ground but if the reopening double doesn't come,  I will be in the embarrassing position or  "accepting my own game try"  which I avoid like the plague.   For now,  let's stick with my original honest  bidder's bid:
                                                  --- 2NT ---

Problem E:>> I am comfortable or more doubling with 10-point PERFECTOS, but  void combined with Jxx in the other major doesn't really fit.  But passing with a really skimpy 5-5  cost me a podium spot last month  (passing the 3C pre-empt raise was lucky to earn a 30  ::)   So, for the third time this month ( God help me!)I am going Hoki's road and putting in a...                             
                                                  --- DOUBLE ---
« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 05:41:34 AM by blubayou »

hoki

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2021, 04:22:09 AM »
As usual I prefer to go for all the simple options, eschewing extrapolated
projections or complex conventions (who needs lebensohl?):
A - (a2) {1D - 2C }  the smallest and hopefully least expensive lie;
B - 3NT, no guarantee that partner holds two aces for 6C to be gin;
C - 3C, sure a bit extra but pard can still bid again - I don't believe in hanging an enterprising balancing bidder;
D - 2S, discounting my heart values - failing to support pard erodes partnership trust;
E - dble, the void must be worth heaps if pard chooses to bid any number of spades;
F - 3NT, but no strong feelings on this one;
G - 2D, as I said I'm a simple soul;
H - H6

bAbsG

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2021, 04:12:08 PM »

SOLUTIONS FOR:
Babs Giesbrecht

PROBLEM A: (a3)
PROBLEM B: 3 Notrump
PROBLEM C: 3 Clubs
PROBLEM D: 3 Hearts
PROBLEM E: 2 Diamonds
PROBLEM F: 3 Notrump
PROBLEM G: 2 Diamonds
PROBLEM H: Diamond 4

I never did get a confirming email from BW so maybe my answers were so bad they just pretended to record them.  Teehee

peuco

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2021, 04:21:41 PM »
Francisco
       Magdalena 75 D 62 
       Santiago  7550109
       Chile

Your Solutions for the December 2021 Contest 
-------------------
PROBLEM A: (a3)
PROBLEM B: 4 Diamonds
PROBLEM C: 2 Notrump
PROBLEM D: Pass
PROBLEM E: Pass
PROBLEM F: Pass
PROBLEM G: 1 Notrump
PROBLEM H: Diamond 4

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2021, 04:14:14 PM »
MASTER SOLVERS CLUB SOLUTIONS RECEIVED

Your solutions have been received. This copy is for your records.

SOLVER: Ken Berg
        320 Quail
        Sykesville MD 21784
        U.S.A.

Your Solutions for the December 2021 Contest
-------------------
PROBLEM A: (b2)
PROBLEM B: 3 Notrump
PROBLEM D: 2 Notrump
PROBLEM E: 2 Diamonds
PROBLEM F: 4 Hearts
PROBLEM G: Double
PROBLEM H: Club Jack
Ken

wackojack

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2021, 11:40:05 PM »
SOLUTIONS FOR:
Wackojack

Guildford
England

PROBLEM A: (c)
PROBLEM B: 5 Clubs
PROBLEM D: 3 Hearts
PROBLEM E: 2 Notrump
PROBLEM H: Spade 2

Decided to spend no more time than I would at the table.  May make comments tomorrow if time

blubayou

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2021, 03:11:49 PM »
SOLUTIONS FOR: Jock McQuade 3 Bag End, Hobbiton The Shire.
PROBLEM A: (c)  [ one norump!?]
PROBLEM B: 4 Diamonds
PROBLEM C: 3 Clubs
PROBLEM D: 2 Notrump
PROBLEM E: Double
PROBLEM H: Diamond 4  (  I REALLY want to go for all the marbles, with a low diamond--really I do,  but am thinking that will go to declarer's nine, today :-[ :'( )
    CURSES!  I had finally resisted the siren-call of the lead into declarer's suit from QT54 ,  but my typing finger didn't get the message,
« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 06:38:02 AM by blubayou »