Author Topic: 2021 NOVEMBER MSC  (Read 9150 times)

msphola

• View Profile
Re: 2021 NOVEMBER MSC
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2021, 06:39:41 PM »
A.  3H
B.  3N
C.  4C
D.  3D
E.  3N
F.  X
G.  4C
H.  AS

yleexotee

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2021, 08:18:05 PM »
PROBLEM A: 2 Notrump
PROBLEM B: 3 Notrump
PROBLEM C: 3 Notrump  (wanted to pass, but that never scores well)
PROBLEM D: 3 Diamonds (have to bid this to avoid 4c!, but panels don't see it my way)
PROBLEM E: 3 Notrump (again, wanted to pass but going for it)
PROBLEM F: Double (my gut says 2D/2S like Hoki, but never pays not to take the hint that BWS gives us)
PROBLEM G: Double (but then when p bids 3h or 3s, do I go on? I guess not)
PROBLEM H: Club 5 (submitted this and forgot to check if there are MUD leads, so this is probably a screw up)

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2021, 12:20:43 AM »
SOLVER: Ken Berg
        320 Quail Drive
        Sykesville MD 21784
        U.S.A.

Your Solutions for the November 2021 Contest
-------------------
PROBLEM A: 3 Clubs
PROBLEM C: 3 Notrump
PROBLEM D: 3 Diamonds
PROBLEM E: 3 Notrump
PROBLEM F: 2 Hearts
PROBLEM G: 4 Clubs
PROBLEM H: Spade Ace
Ken

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2021, 02:56:56 PM »
I have been amusing myself this morning constructing hands so that the bots can weigh in on the November problems Here is A:
https://tinyurl.com/ye3sfgx6

I created deals so that S holds the MSC cards, and the bidding proceeds as MSC says, up to where S must choose his MSC answer. I point out that the bots do not know the vulnerability and they do not know whether it is imps or matchpoints. And of course the bots know nothing of how the other hands are arranged, they know the auction, just as we do. I'll be interested in seeing how they do.

It took me a while to get a hand layout for G that began as MSC prescribed so I needed a break, now I have them all. I list the bot choices and the full deals that produced the desired auction.

The full set, including A repeated:

A: 3C
https://tinyurl.com/ye3sfgx6

B: 4C
https://tinyurl.com/yzjtgujf

C: 3NT
https://tinyurl.com/yfg5p3hy

D: 3D
https://tinyurl.com/yes8rxen

E: 4D
https://tinyurl.com/yevjmd87

F: 2H
https://tinyurl.com/yzjqu74a

G: 3S
https://tinyurl.com/yeh3x286

H: spade A
https://tinyurl.com/yec6k8ca

620 total
Comment on G: As mentioned, getting the other bots to bid as requested was a challenge. Of course I could have simply imposed the bidding but I wanted to find hands where, up to the point where the MSC problem arises, the bidding goes as prescribed. I had to arrange it so that W would open 1C, not1D or 1NT, then N would pass, not double or overcall, and E would bid 3C. This took several tries. On the hands that actually produced the desired opening auction, both 4H and 4S make.
This doesn't set it, but it's the bots' choice of lead.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 07:24:38 PM by kenberg »
Ken

blubayou

• IACAdmins
  • lifelong director [1977-2010] and haunter of ACBL
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2021, 04:50:55 PM »
SOLUTIONS FOR:Jock McQuade3 Bag EndHobbiton OR 97030U.S.A.
PROBLEM B: 3 Diamonds   (10xxx don't justify heading directly toward club slam :( )
PROBLEM C: 4 Diamonds

PROBLEM E: 3 Hearts
PROBLEM F: 2 Hearts
PROBLEM G: Pass
A copy of these solutions will be e-mailed to you for your records.
Thank you for participating in the Master Solvers Club contest.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 04:54:11 PM by blubayou »
often it is better to beg forgiveness, than ask permission

DickHy

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2021, 08:08:58 PM »
Some outliers for the cygnet-chirp

SOLUTIONS FOR:
Richard Harvey
5 Westwood Rd
Southampton SO31 5EL
U.K.

PROBLEM A: Pass (Certainly a wild choice but why not practise defence for +200??)
PROBLEM B: 4 Clubs
PROBLEM C: 4 Clubs
PROBLEM E: 4 Diamonds (Why didn't partner bid 2N/3N or 3C 4SF?  Presumably because he has dire clubs)
PROBLEM F: Double
PROBLEM G: 4 Clubs
PROBLEM H: Spade 6 (I will be claiming moral points if any of the MSC panel use the phrase "suit preference lead for a diamond")

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2021, 08:43:41 PM »
I am going to be hammered this month - I made way too many changes, so I am hunkering down for a 400.

SOLUTIONS FOR:
James Creech
5107 Sewells Pointe Dr. Virginia Heritage at Lee'
Fredericksburg VA 22407
U.S.A.

PROBLEM C: 4 Clubs
PROBLEM E: 3 Hearts
PROBLEM F: Double
PROBLEM G: Double

Problem A:  I just felt like 3 !C was not giving enough weight to the hand, so I will bid the full invitational 2NT and hope the !H QT helps if we end up in 3NT.

Problem B:  My values are in the wrong suits and I am square.  Bid the 3NT to discourage partner from pushing too high with a minimum jump shift.

Problem E:  Right or wrong, I followed Todd's lead on this one.

Problem G:  I'm gonna double and hope that partner will bend over backwards to bid any reasonable major, and only bid diamonds if he forgot to overcall at the first opportunity.

A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

blubayou

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2021, 05:23:34 AM »
Aww, JIM  no poor-mouthing!  you are in the ballparks all the way! 
    But in my opinion, only  4C  on prblem C  is only   ONLY  for "coyotee's rule" players:)
      --good luck,  but forget that 400 prediction!

And:  Dick H!:  I would LOVE to see you  snag 6 tricks on defense especially without the shadow of a heart stopper  for  "our darling--2NT"   but it does smell like matchpoints,  so VERY good luck on your leave-in:)  sincerely.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 12:23:00 PM by blubayou »

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2021, 02:39:16 PM »
I'm getting worried - no official ballot from Masse24.  Where have you gone Todd Dimaggio, an international forum waits for you.

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2021, 02:52:18 PM »
Jim,

"Official" is what is posted. I submitted to TBW at that time.
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2021, 03:40:23 PM »
While waiting (with bated breath?) for the answers, I'll look at E. After 1H-1S-2D-3D I chose 3NT. It's imps and we are vul. At matchpoints I would pass. i doubt that 5D is making. It might, but I doubt it. And 3NT is obviously iffy. But it's vul at imps so i bid game in something.

With the bots it went 1H-1S-2d-3D-4D-4H-Pass. It's a 5-2 fit but maybe not a crazy idea. Off 1 with the layout that I used, as is 5D. I am sure that I would pass 3D at mps but here game seemed worth a shot. 3NT makes as I placed the cards for the bots. I was focused on producing an auction that began 1H-1S-2D-3D but still I might have placed the cards differently.

It may well be that 5D makes more often than 3NT.

I am hoping for a good score for my friend the robot.

Still no scoring from BWS so maybe I say a bit more about E.
We could have

KQTxx
xx
KQxx
xx

A
AQ983
AT62
JT4

Assuming Ds behave we see 3 spade tricjk, a heart trick and 4 diamond tricks which gives 8 tricks. of course there will be a ruff. Spades have potential, so a reasonable plan would be to ruff a spade in hand and hope this establishes spades. But four spade tricks and a ruff, plus a heart and four diamonds, totals ten tricks so we would still need the heart finesse. This means, I think, that we should forget about establishing spades, assume the heart finesse works and see how that goes. Maybe that's the route, not sure.

All in all, game seems iffy. Probably, or perhaps, bidding game is justified by vul at imps, but risky. Definitely a pass of 3D at mps I think. Since 2D by S was passable, and 3D by N was passable, it seems 4D by S should now be passable so that's an argument for bidding it if we think pard will pass when his 3D call was a minmaum 3D call.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 05:04:52 PM by kenberg »
Ken

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2021, 06:37:50 PM »
November Results

BabsG won this month with 760 and also made the Bridge World Honor Roll! 

Close behind and also making the honor roll was JCreech, second with 740.  Third went to CCT3 with 700.  Congratulations to all!

NAMEBW-SCORERANKMPs
BabsG     760   1   30
JCreech     740   2   25
CCR3     700   3   10
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Also participating were  BluBayou, DickHy, Hoki, KenBerg, MarilynLi, Masse24, Msphola, Peuco, WackoJack, YleeXotee.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 08:12:03 PM by Masse24 »

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2021, 07:19:02 PM »
Although my score was not stellar for the month, I'm disappointed my IAC colleagues did not comment on my cool choice on PROBLEM "C."  ;)

I've never pulled one in real life, so when I saw the opportunity I could not stay away from it!

“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2021, 07:29:34 PM »
Ah yes, problem C. The bot and I both got 0 for our choice of 3NT. Ignoring that, and why should we not, I got 670 and the bot 620.  Let's call it out of 700.
Ken

blubayou

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2021, 12:37:27 PM »
Our apologies, Todd!!    I do read every post, mostly repeatedly, but must have glossed over your discovering a completely new animal!:  "problem C:  4 Hearts.  This is how to show a perfecto for clubs and that my heart suit is crap."   I never contemplated giving a BLUHMER in a suit I have bid,  but it makes sense.  It does a better job of highlighting that "all" of our 10-ish points are working HARD at clubs  than my  4D bid:(
   Congratulations on snagging a 90 with what you must have guessed was a Lone Wolf choice,  given only one panelist in support.
                                               Sincerely,  Jock "Lone Wolf" McQuade

P.S.   Next time  you break new ground so magnificently,  could you put the news in bold, please. That might have saved me 20 points this month :)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 12:41:24 PM by blubayou »