Author Topic: 2021 NOVEMBER MSC  (Read 9149 times)

blubayou

• IACAdmins
  • lifelong director [1977-2010] and haunter of ACBL
    • View Profile
Re: 2021 NOVEMBER MSC
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2021, 01:07:33 AM »
Time for all of us to post our second thoughts-- or in toooo many cases,  our FIRST thoughts:

Problem A:>>  The worry that opp will run hearts on us , plus a setting trick or two-- has bothered me for 3 weeks.  But this is balanced by the possible ugliness of putting pard in three Clubs,  if he is indeed balanced.   With this excuse,  I do make the ONLY  inviting call  that exists-->"2NT".  Devil take the hindmost!

Problem B:>>  On day-One,  I was disappointed  that  "1S, 1NT; 3C,  FOUR Diamonds"  was not defined in  BWS2017,  and temporarily gave up on that choice.   NO MORE!  Since 'they'  don't know what it means, I will fill in the blank spot:  It means  the ace of diamonds,  a near-max  1NT response  in a not-notrump direction, with spade SUPPORT already denied.   In other words,  'this hand".  The only problem remaining  is  shall we sit as dummy for 4 spades, or repeat the message already given  that we want to go bigger.

Problem C:>>  Eerily similar feelings about 4 Diamonds as expressed above:  we are tip-top  for our two previous bids and 4 !D should show this,  the diamond ace  and great enthusiasm in a NON-NOTRUMP direction  ---   utterly perfect.  Some have said  partner has not shown a 20-count by  "3!C"  but I am completely comfortable driving him to five,, aren't you? 

Problem D:>>  Three Diamonds...  'unanimous'

Problem E:>>  Three Hearts...  'NOT unanimous'

Problem F:>>  We have votes for Snapdragon double,  showing the clubs but not the hearts... for        Fit-jump, showing both suits but not the distribution.   With all this falling in love,  I expect someone will vote for the Cue-advance!  but I am here keeping the home-fires burning  with a boring single raise                     --- Two Hearts ---

Problem G:>>  I haven't a clue  which call deserves the MSC 100,  or if that call will actual GET the      100.  I would passing tempo,  in life,  and I guess I will be staying with that  :-\

Problem H:>> I need something juicy to work with  when trying a 'genius lead"  and that hasn't happened!   SPADE ACE,  then see what passive thing is needed next,  or if some hail-mary  now seems called for.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 12:57:34 PM by blubayou »
often it is better to beg forgiveness, than ask permission

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2021, 04:22:42 PM »
About B; I constructed a N hand just for fun, w/o trying to prove anything one way or another.

AKQT6
K5
AKJ8

J3
KQ4
A962
T843

I guess this makes slam if the club Q is onside and not if the club Q is offside. If Lho has Q9xx it requires a little care, and of course, it's nice that N has the club 8.

I gave this hand to the bots and the auction went 1S-1NT-3C-4C-4S- all pass.

It's matchpoints,  and that has an effect. In slam we make the same  12 tricks in NT if we can pick up the clubs. In 4S we still make 5 with the club Q offside, but in 3NT we should probably settle for the obvious ten tricks on the logic that if the club Q is onside we have already lost the board to all of the slam bidders.

I am still thinking I will bid 3D over 3C.

Ken

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2021, 01:54:04 PM »
NOVEMBER GUESSES:

PROBLEM A: 2NT. The value bid. QT is a stopper if I squint a bit.

PROBLEM B: 3 !S. Not necessarily promising a fit. I think 3 !D and 3NT will be the popular solver choices.

PROBLEM C: 4 !H. With a perfecto, we may have slam. This is how I tell partner my hearts are crap.

PROBLEM D: 3 !H. Not necessarily playing this in hearts (though partner doesn’t know it yet). But this will force a spade control from partner . . . if he has one.

PROBLEM E: 3 !H. Partner has more than a complete minimum, but less than GF values. It could be a simple obligatory raise of 8 or 9 HCP. This is due to the wide range of my 2 !D rebid which could be anywhere from 11 to about 17 or so. But partner could be just short of game values and have a limit raise.

If this were Matchpoints, I would be more inclined to pass and go quietly. But it’s IMPs. And we are vulnerable. I’d like to bid 3 !C to “ask” partner for !C help. But that would probably get me a director call! And 3 !S, another call below 3NT would promise delayed support, ostensibly showing three.

If only there was another call below 3NT to keep the auction alive. Hey . . . there is! 3 !H

It’s not forcing, so carries the danger of getting passed. But it keeps the auction alive in my grope for 3NT. And because I failed to jump-shift, partner knows my range is around 15-17.

PROBLEM F: Double. The helpful hint will make this a popular choice.

PROBLEM G: Double. Not enough for 4 !C. Too much to pass. Looks like the versatile double will have step in again. Partner will strain to bid a major.

PROBLEM H: !C 4. I hate lead problems!

« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 05:45:26 PM by Masse24 »
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2021, 01:57:34 PM »
I will list my current choices and then a comment or two:

A: 3C
B: 3D
C: 3NT
D: 3D
E: 3NT
F: 2H
G: 4C
H: spade A

Comments:
G: I ask "Where are the diamonds?". Lho opened 1C. He presumably does not have four Ds and, if he bids as I do, he is unlikely to have four Ds unless he has five Cs. With 4-4 in the minors I (almost always0 open 1D. Also. Rho bid 3C. I suppose he could be 5-5 in the minors but that seems a little unlikely. And I am hoping pard has some points, with the 3C on my right and me holding a 10 count itseems likely that if partner had five diamonds he would have enough points for a 1D overcall.  So I am thinking it likely that each of the other three players has four diamoinds.

Giving everyone four diamonds, and thus giving Lho five Cs, has another thing going for it. Where are the high card points? Lho would open a balanced 15 count with 1 Nt but maybe he has, say, a 1-3-4-5 shape and a 16 count. He opens that 1C. And now it makes sense that pard maybe has a 9 count and Rho has a 5 count, hence pard's pass and Rho's 3C call.

If the opponents have 18 cards in the minors thne thye have 8 cards in the majors and we have 18 cards in the majors. I don't know if there is a two suited version of LOTT, and I am no devotee of LOTT anyway, but I'm bidding 4C.

C: I am bidding 3NT because it is imps. At mps I pass. I think the odds of 9 tricks are a bit under 50%, but at imps I go. Yes, we are non-vul, but still I go.

Above choices and comments all subject to re-thinking
Ken

peuco

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2021, 05:48:43 PM »
SOLUTIONS FOR:
Francisco

PROBLEM A: 2 Notrump
PROBLEM B: 4 Clubs
PROBLEM C: 5 Clubs
PROBLEM D: 3 Diamonds
PROBLEM E: 3 Hearts
PROBLEM F: 3 Clubs
PROBLEM G: Double
PROBLEM H: Spade 6

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2021, 12:44:05 PM »
There is a lot to be said for the lead of the spade 4 and I considered it. I might actually do it. Underleading an A against a suit contract is a bit rare but I do it from time to time. One time went like this: I was on lead against a 4S contract, I held the heart ace and some modest diamonds, I led a diamond, Dummy came down with KJxx in diamonds, the heart ace and some other stuff. I took another look at my hand and saw that my "heart ace' was actually the diamond ace. Declarer played the diamond J from dummy, partner produced the Q, and after a bit she realized that the Q had held the trick. So she returned a D to my ace, got her ruff and we set the contract.

But I have also done it at times when I was fully conscious. And this might well be such a time.  I still have 48 hours or so to think about it.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 08:09:14 PM by kenberg »
Ken

bAbsG

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2021, 02:32:47 PM »

SOLVER: Babs Giesbrecht
Your Solutions for the November 2021 Contest 
-------------------
PROBLEM A: 3 Clubs
PROBLEM B: 4 Clubs
PROBLEM C: 4 Clubs
PROBLEM F: 2 Diamonds
PROBLEM G: 4 Clubs
PROBLEM H: Club 4

ccr3

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2021, 05:43:25 PM »
Problem A: 2nt I decided if I bid the spades the wrong hand is ruffing. I ruled out raising clubs
                        because partner could have 3 clubs. Partner could have a heart card so:2nt.
Problem B: 3D   I have a very nice hand opposite a jump shift, a game force. So 3d can be
                        temporizing or showing values. Along with KQ hearts slam is very possible.
Problem C: 4C   We might have game in clubs but not enough strength to go directly. I'm afraid
                        if we stayed in NT the opponents can defeat us with their run in hearts.
Problem D: 3D   I'm raising the diamonds rather than showing 6 hearts. A diamond slam is possible.
Problem E: 3NT  I'm still doubtful with 3nt with the two flaws. 3 hearts is a good idea. but....
Problem F: Double   I like the BWS coaching...........
Problem G: Double   I think action is needed but I don't think the hand is strong enough to bid 4C.
Problme H: S A   I decided to go with the S A because leading a club can finesse partner and gives
                         the declarer a chance to pitch on a long dummy suit.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 11:53:37 PM by ccr3 »

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2021, 06:46:24 PM »
Hi Pat,

You changed your mind on half (A, B, F, H).  Do you want to help us understand your reasoning?
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

ccr3

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2021, 11:55:28 PM »
Well Jim does that do it?   :) Thanks for asking. Just needed a little shove.  :D

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2021, 12:21:25 AM »
Thank you Pat!

Now the next question is which line from Soul Asylum's "Somebody to Shove"  fits your shoving situation best?

"Cause I want somebody to shove
I need somebody to shove
I want somebody to shove me"
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

ccr3

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2021, 12:57:36 AM »
 ??? ;D So where is your update Jim?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 01:18:25 PM by ccr3 »

MarilynLi

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2021, 07:10:27 AM »
PROBLEM A: 3 Clubs
PROBLEM B: 3 Diamonds
PROBLEM C: 3 Diamonds
PROBLEM F: Double
PROBLEM G: 4 Clubs
PROBLEM H: Spade 6

hoki

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2021, 12:11:37 PM »
A - need to be convinced that 2♠ shows five spades, why not play in a Moysian major rather than a 4-4 minor?

B - 3NT, without a fit (3♣ might be a fragment) I'm not interested in slam, but if I had to make a second choice it would be
3♠, not 3

C - 3NT, why not with a balanced minimum?

D - 3 to show a solid suit

E - 3 absolutely stuck on this one, but I can't bring myself to bid 3NT with no sure club stopper

F - 2, a "normal" (haha - nothing's normal in these problems) limit raise

G - 3♠ (and 4 if it comes back to me); I fear the hand is not good enough to force to game via 4♣

H - ♠A, only easy problem in the set?

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2021, 01:37:59 PM »
G:

I also feel that the hand is not good enough for 4C, my original choice, and I have been rethinking. But still...

The problem with X is that pard could be 3=3=4=3 in whic case he will respond 3D. I can hardly leave him there but if I bid 3M over 3D then he will expect more values, and he will expect them to be concentrated in M.

So I have been thinking maybe I'll bid 3M, I think I would choose 3H, but I am not happy about that either. My first thought was 4C, and while I am not enthusiastic, i don't like the alternatives, so...

Fret, fret, fret, I must choose. But I agree 4C is apt to result in 4M off 1. They can probably make 3C but not 4C, we can probably make 3M but not 4M, but I don't loke having to choose the M myself.

Ken