Author Topic: 2021 OCTOBER MSC  (Read 6996 times)

Masse24

• View Profile
Re: 2021 OCTOBER MSC
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2021, 01:22:48 AM »
FWIW . . .

Regarding PROBLEM A:

If dealt the following:
!S K8 - !H A97652 - !D K7 - !C J83

and the auction had gone
1 !D - 1 !H
1 !S - ??

Would you bid a 4SF 2 !C?

In Feb. 2019 18 of 25 panelists did!!!
Note the similarity with this month's "A"

Granted, the fourth suit is not so auspiciously stopped as the diamonds in this month's problem. But they are quite similar.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 01:24:31 AM by Masse24 »
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

wackojack

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2021, 10:40:20 AM »
A  3 !S   Going out on a limb here but this bid is more descriptive than the lazy 3 !D 4th suit ask.

B  2 !S   Is this a better bid than 2N?  Does 2 !S promise a stop, partial guard, or is it an ask in spades because you could have bid 2N with a stop?  I will go for that as the least of evils. 

C  5 !C  A responsive double is out for me as partner is likely to bid a number of  !D s and that gets you nowhere.  So I just bid what I think we can make if partner has a normal take-out double.

D  6  !D  If opps bid according to the LAW, then partner has a void in clubs.  I am not going to stake bidding the grand on this though.  Just a modest 6 !D

E  dbl If partner next Lebs, I will eschew the 3 !C transfer and bid 3NT. 

F   4 !D  Does this show the majors or and strong 2 suiter?  If partner thinks the former and bids 4 !S, I will correct to 5 !C and partner will get the message that I have a very strong  !H and  !C hand a take action accordingly.

G    3 !D  "Tell me more partner"  looks right this time.

H  6  !H  Tempted to lead K !D but decide to go passive

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2021, 10:42:34 AM »
Back then, Todd and I both went with the invitational bid:

My current thoughts on the February problems:

Problem G:  3 !H  I consider this to be the middle ground.  My hand has gotten progressively better with Kx in both of partner’s suits.  If we were red, I would bid 2 !C, partly to see what my partner rebids.  At the same time, my spots are so dismal, that almost want to only bid 2 !H.

February guesses.

PROBLEM G: 3 !H. Mildly similar to problem D last month, where several voters went low with 2M (I expect a few 2 !H bids this month). But that was MP—which was a consideration in their bids. This is IMPs. The scoring method changes things. Although the heart suit is awful, and is a misstatement of the suit strength, it’s the best “bad” rebid.

Then were surprised by the actual MSC scoring!

I contemplated the GF 2 !C on "G" (a mild overbid) thinking that the room it saved (to sort out strain) relative to the 3 !H choice offset the fact it was an overbid. But I dismissed it. I'm guessing that will be the logic behind it. I'll add that, if the GF 2 !C scores 100, then why does the meek 2 !H score better than 3 !H???

On to next month.

I think the only complete surprise to me was Problem G,  Its not that I didn't think of 4SF, it's just that I didn't think this hand justified forcing to game.  A sixth !H, Kx in both of partner's suits are pluses, but it only has 11 HCPs, the !H suit is hardly robust, and fitting cards do not constitute a fit.  I still feel that this hand is highly invitational.  In fact, I find it insulting to see that the more aggressive 3 !H is scored lower than the two underbids of 2 !H and 1 NT, when the top score goes to an even more aggressive artificial game force.  I expected more of link between the valuation of the hand and the scores assigned.  But i guess if you are looking for logic in scoring answers on bridge questions, you should not look to the MSC directors.

It just goes to show that the makeup of the Panel can play an important role in determining the final outcome of a given month.  About half of the Panel are the directors plus a few stalwarts like Zia. While the other half vary, pulled from a relatively short list of experts.  So the consistency is sometimes the luck of the draw.
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

wackojack

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2021, 10:51:38 AM »
SOLUTIONS FOR:
Jack Goody

Guildford
England

PROBLEM A: 3 Spades
PROBLEM B: 2 Spades
PROBLEM C: 5 Clubs
PROBLEM D: 6 Diamonds
PROBLEM E: Double
PROBLEM F: 4 Diamonds
PROBLEM G: 3 Diamonds
PROBLEM H: Heart 6

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2021, 02:22:55 PM »
I have been obsessing a bit over the lead problem. Who has what? I think the dummy will hit with four diamonds. After 1S-1NT-2D, E bid 2S which might be on a doubleton spade and might be on three spades and minimal values for a raise. But the W bid 2NT and E raised to 3NT. It sounds as if E has two spades and maybe a 9 or 10 count, and W has five spades and enough points to invite after the possibly quite weak 2S call. Seems to me that with a 14 count, W would pass 2S. So why did he not open 1NT? Probably because of a four card diamond suit.

Or maybe W was too strong to open 1NT? Could be, but then I doubt we are setting this. So I think I will assume W has a 16 count, five spades and four diamonds. I suppose some open 1NT on a 5-=2=4=2 hand but myself, I open that 1S. Usually, anyway.

It seems likely to me that W is 5=2=4=2 and E is 2=4=3=4. Not certain, but fairly likely.

And that might mean my H6 is useful on the third round of hearts.

KT7

Q2                                      AJ85

Heart spot from me, followed by 2, T,J.  Later the hearts go QKA, spot from me. Declarer has 85, I hope I have 96 rather than 94 or 93 since the 8 will drop pard's 7.

Ok, a bit far-fetched. But E holding four hearts is not far-fetched and so some care seems warranted.

I am almost certainly leading a heart, and I checked with BWS leads and they say second high from spots. So probably I lead the 6. It could go wrong on reasonable layouts. A few more hours left to decide.

Or should that 2NT by W be more than 16?

« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 02:26:32 PM by kenberg »
Ken

peuco

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2021, 04:43:47 PM »
Hi Masse :), at the time of the crash i had submitted my answers but obviously i am nearly nonexistent being a somewhat newcomer. I thank you for your great job

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2021, 07:19:41 PM »
SOLVER: Ken Berg
        320 Quail Drive
        Sykesville MD 21784
        U.S.A.

Your Solutions for the October 2021 Contest
-------------------
PROBLEM A: 2 Diamonds
PROBLEM D: 5 Diamonds
PROBLEM F: 4 Clubs
PROBLEM G: 2 Spades
PROBLEM H: Heart 6
Ken

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2021, 09:43:39 PM »
SOLUTIONS FOR:
James Creech
5107 Sewells Pointe Dr.
Fredericksburg 22407
U.S.A.

PROBLEM A: 2 Diamonds
PROBLEM C: 5 Clubs  only change from last published set of answers.  I just did not feel comfortable with the double, noticed there was a lot of support for 5 !C as the choice, it made sense as the best description.  After all, I do have enough HCPs to jump and enough clubs that I can survive partner having less than ideal takeout shape.  With the right hand, maybe partner will take a shot at slam, but I am never going to know scientifically.
PROBLEM D: 6 Diamonds
PROBLEM F: 4 Diamonds
PROBLEM G: 2 Spades
PROBLEM H: Diamond King

DickHy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2021, 10:09:00 PM »
SOLUTIONS FOR:
Richard Harvey
5 Westwood Rd
Southampton SO31 5EL
U.K.

PROBLEM A: 2 Spades
PROBLEM B: 2 Diamonds
PROBLEM D: Double
PROBLEM F: 3 Hearts
PROBLEM G: 3 Diamonds
PROBLEM H: Diamond King

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2021, 01:36:08 AM »
Screwed the pooch.  >:(

Misclicked my lead submission. Oops!
My request to have it changed was denied. Not surprising.
Maybe a gaggle of panelists will think a spade lead is best? ;)

Pro tip: don't submit when exhausted.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 01:34:28 PM by Masse24 »
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2021, 03:29:49 PM »
October Results

YleeXotee and CCR3 won this month with 730 and also made the Bridge World Honor Roll! 

Close behind and also making the honor roll was MarilynLi, third with 720.  Congratulations to all!

NAMEBW-SCORERANKMPs
CCR3     730   1   30
YleeXotee     730   1   30
MarilynLi     720   3   20
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Also participating were BabsG, BluBayou, DickHy, Hoki, JCreech, KenBerg, Masse24, Msphola, Peuco, WackoJack.

blubayou

• IACAdmins
  • lifelong director [1977-2010] and haunter of ACBL
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2021, 06:44:01 PM »
Hey boss!:  How many great-scoring choices were there we never thought of ever-ever-ever?  3? 4?  or only 2?
   ( I guess "(pre-empt),  4NT"  is blackwood,  not UNT  lol.  so the slam-forcing  UNT of FIVE Notrump  gets tie for 2nd best  70--- sheesh.)  OK/fine for that but there those ELEVEN votes for jump-preference in Hearts on prob.B  that mean this game has passed me by for sure.  Can't wait to see comments on that plot.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 06:58:33 PM by blubayou »
often it is better to beg forgiveness, than ask permission

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2021, 08:13:41 PM »
Blu,

I won't disagree that there were not some top-scoring answers that stretch my imagination to see the confidence of the panel this time around.

Problem B:  I realize that using the forcing NT and raising to 3 !H may get you to the right spot, but I tend to do that sequence with a crappy limit raise and only three trump, not on a good limit raise and two trump.  Maybe the ace warrants a trump length upgrade?!?

Problem C:  A leap to 6 !C is better than 5 !C.  Why?  Presumably because the double guarantees a heart control.  Perhaps I would think that if the auction had gone 2 !H - X - 4 !H, but I would raise with three, so that could leave partner with xx, and I am jamming into slam.  No thank you!  I prefer to try to find a way to get partner to cooperate than force my will.  I was reading a story about a Venice Cup hand - the auction went 1 !D - X - 3 !D - 3 !S; P - ?, Jxx AKQTxxx Ax A doubled initially and then raised to 6 !S on the strength of partner's free bid.  The writer placed the entire blame on the free bidder who had little other than !S Txxxxx and a few quacks - the contract went down two.  I see similar issues with both slam bids - unilateral action without giving partner a chance to weigh in to try to stifle an over zealous partner.

Nonetheless, there was only one problem where there was a huge leap in voted from the top score to the second place choice, so I think there will be some interesting ideas.

My biggest disappointment was with Problem G.  I thought the hand too distributional to risk a double, the choice between the two primary suits not good enough to make the decision unilaterally, and 5NT gave no chance to play 4 !H.  I can understand the shrug double, but to give decent scores to the unilateralists seemed too much.  Other than only getting one Panel vote, I wonder what else might have kept the moderator from being more forgiving to the 4 !D cue-bid.

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2021, 11:09:51 PM »
On "B" 3 !H crossed my mind, but I never seriously considered it. However, I do recall this from a previous MSC . . . two or three years ago.

I suppose that panel arguments will be something like "!H Ax is closer to being three card support than !S xxx is to being a stopper."
But it is so foreign to what I have learned . . .  :o

Blu, if the game has passed you by . . . I am still running to catch up! Still learnin' every day.

And "F" I never did "get." As evidenced by my final selection and my pre-submission comment in red.

Jim, I like your description of the winning bid: "Shrug Double;)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 11:20:46 PM by Masse24 »

blubayou

• IACAdmins
  • lifelong director [1977-2010] and haunter of ACBL
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2021, 12:59:28 AM »
About a year ago,  we had a humongous 2 suiter to re-open over 1 club passed around....   the 2 suits must have been diamonds and spades  because the neither michaels nor unusual notrump (WHICH IS NOT AVAILABLE ANYWAY FOR AN UNPASSED BALANCER)  were in the discussion.  I went into the twilight zone, sticking to my guns that if 2NT is not UNT,  then 2 Clubs is not michaels, either -- and cue bid .  Naturally , that got one panel vote and something like a 30 loosing me 25 monster-points, if they were still being tabulated.
  This month's problem discussed just above must be at least a second cousin to  that famous problem of Yore.
      P.S.  So,  thumbs up to HOKI and JIM,  our only 4 diamond bidders on this item!(Kx,AKJxx,--,Aq?xxx)

« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 01:29:19 AM by blubayou »
often it is better to beg forgiveness, than ask permission