Author Topic: 2021 AUGUST MSC  (Read 13145 times)

kenberg

• View Profile
Re: 2021 AUGUST MSC
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2021, 11:15:31 AM »
Problem A: This problem reflects real life. I am not altogether sure what partner is doing. So what am I doing? I am bidding 4D with the following plan:
If partner bids 4H over 4D, I will bid 4S.
If partner bids 4S over 4D I will pass.
If partnerbids 5C over 4D I will pass.

If partner has a good five card spade suit, the D A and the club K, it seems we have a shot at five spade tricks, four diamond tricks, two club tricks and a club ruff. That's 12 tricks and does not require a magnificent hand from partner.

KQxxx
x
Ax
Kxxxx

might suffice although a little luck is needed. Change a spade x to a spade J and it gets better as the club can now be ruffed with the spade A, so 3-2 spades will suffice.

If over my 4D partner bids 7S because he thought my 4D call showed a 20 count, I'll apologize.

Added: One thought about partner's bidding. I do think that with five clubs, four spades, and a game-forcing hand he would have begun with 2C over 1D. And I do think the 4C is now forcing. BUT. He might have started with a 4=1=3=5 shape that he thought was just a bit short of game forcing, but now, after the opponents have bid a raised hearts, his hand is looking better. He is up for a forcing 4C even though on the first round he was not quite up for a game forcing 2C.
My guess is that he has five spades, but I would not rule out the 4=1=3=5 shape with good but not quite GF, at T1,  values.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 02:19:41 PM by kenberg »
Ken

blubayou

• IACAdmins
  • lifelong director [1977-2010] and haunter of ACBL
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2021, 04:53:56 PM »
4D  is a correction.   hopefully  3=3=6=1;  if I felt I had to do this with a fiver,  we sure hope pard comes down with the  Kxxx, --,  Txx,  KQxxxx  I posted as my wish-list!  spades  are OFF the table as the trump suit, else partner would probe with a 4H  cue.  A support-double  does not  set the trump suit in and of itself--something nobody yet has dared say.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 01:52:50 AM by blubayou »
often it is better to beg forgiveness, than ask permission

peuco

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2021, 09:16:01 PM »
SOLUTIONS FOR:
Francisco Lizana

PROBLEM A: 5 Clubs
PROBLEM B: 3 Notrump
PROBLEM C: 1 Notrump
PROBLEM D: (a3) | (b1)
PROBLEM E: 3 Notrump
PROBLEM F: 3 Spades
PROBLEM G: 6 Clubs
PROBLEM H: Heart Ace

bAbsG

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2021, 03:22:48 PM »
Your solutions have been received. This copy is for your records.

SOLVER: Babs Giesbrecht
Your Solutions for the August 2021 Contest 
-------------------
PROBLEM A: 4 Spades
PROBLEM B: Pass
PROBLEM D: (a2) | (b3)
PROBLEM E: 2 Clubs
PROBLEM F: 3 Diamonds
PROBLEM G: 2 Spades

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2021, 02:05:13 AM »
August Guesses:

A.   4 !S. Change from 5 !C. Partner knows I have three spades, so I hate to waste a level by ostensibly telling the same story twice. This one really confuses me. I do not want to be left there, unless it is where we belong. 4 !H would be interesting, putting the onus on partner to better communicate his intentions. But if partner does have loftier intentions in a possible spade slam, I fear 4 !H could convey more strength (or possibly a non-existent control) that I do not have.

I think Blu may be right. Partner may well have only four spades and six clubs with a hand that just wishes to compete. But I’m not going to start making up new meta-rules in the middle of an auction. The last time I checked: New suit by unpassed responder is forcing.

If partner does have one of the four-spade six-club hands possible, I hope he corrects.

B.   3 !D. Vul 3 !C is probably more than !C KQJxxxx. If so, 3NT sucks. If partner has a hand suitable for double, he probably has only five hearts, so in hearts a bad trump split is on the horizon. This makes 3 !D a timid but best choice. 

C.   1NT. While 1 !S is possible, these hearts spell 1NT.

D.   A3 | B1. I do not mind preempting with four card major.

E.   2 !C. If I had more than I do, I would double rather than overcall. I think this conveys a max for my overcall. Also, if partner had five spades wouldn’t he have overcalled in direct seat? I think partner might have four spades and no heart support. 4=1=4=4? Hopefully with 9 or 10 HCP. I dunno, I’m guessing, but this cuebid should get another descriptive bid out of him.

F.   3 !D.  Although 2 !S did not promise six spades, I prefer 3 !D now because it leaves room. Partner can show me two spades (hopefully Qx if he does), a sixth heart, fifth club (unlikely), 3NT with a diamond honor. The 4NT “helpful hint” is a red herring as it would be an underbid by a Queen or King. I recall a hand a year or more ago (not this strong) where the major was bid three times to show six, so my not choosing 3 !S now may be a mistake.     

G.   2 !H. This is definitely a hero call. I want to declare and this has a decent chance of ensuring that. Hopefully, it will not be  two-level contract!

Most solvers will probably go with 2 !S, planning to keycard in hearts if partner bids hearts to find that pesky lady. Or, if partner does not bid hearts (or more likely, is not given the opportunity) then a huge jump in clubs next. How high? That question was not asked, so it’s somewhat immaterial. But it’s an interesting hand with difficult tactical considerations. I’ve contemplated an immediate 7 !C. I really like 2 !H. A lot! If I could be assured that “the auction won’t stop here” (I’m almost there), then I would do it. The goal of this hand is simple. Declare. Starting with a Michaels 2 !S only begins to draw the opps the roadmap necessary to sacrifice, in which case we defend.

H.   !H A. Declarer bid No Trump, so looking at the !H AQx, it's a fair bet declarer has the King, so this is safe. I want to see partner's attitude and also the dummy. This gives me a free look before I decide on my trick two action.  The !D T is boring and will probably the popular solver choice.

PROBLEM B: 3 Diamonds
PROBLEM G: 2 Hearts
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 12:39:27 AM by Masse24 »
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

blubayou

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2021, 04:41:19 PM »
PROBLEM A: Raise or Pass his 4 !C . The more comments I see that haven't found religion, the more I lean                                 toward liking  the 130/150
PROBLEM B:  3 !D  .  I am seeing 6 trumps + 3 USEABLE spade tricks (or two + a red king) too often to stay       with  the leave-in.  After all 3D  should lead to something makeable?
PROBLEM C: 1NT. Can't see loving a +50, +100 that passing may bring in.   
PROBLEM D:  (A1), (B1).  Are they serious? A
PROBLEM E:  2 !C  After abstaining, as everybody BUT Frank said, he who  felt only way to catch up  was to                                    REACH game!
.PROBLEM F:   3  !D    WHATEVER it means, we need a third call from partner, and will hope it is meaningful,           rather than "strangled under pressure".  If that bid is "3 !H  .  THEN maybe the quantitative 4NT is best.
PROBLEM G:   Don't KNOW,  but I am going for one of the boring choices -- Michaels or six hearts.  Tell me,       do BridgeWorld partners ever pass  our michael's cue? [. scarey thought!].  In life,  I would try to walk the       dog in some way, but none of such little adventures will gain a plurality for the big score.  Shame on me.
PROBLEM H:   !S  5 Partner has a jack or two.  We need him in at trick one before the sky falls
       (If he HAS a queen, maybe its in spades, eh?  Or in clubs which makes the whole operation futile unless he has that queen AND our magical jack.)   I REALLY dont want to credit our side with my 13 primo plus  3 more from partner, but this is an auction in which the bidding side just goes nuts, frequently,  with their 23 or 24
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 02:22:40 PM by blubayou »

wackojack

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2021, 10:19:08 PM »
A.  4 !D

B. 3  !H
For the re-opening double, I give partner something like as a minimum:
 !S A9xx,  !H KJxxx,  !D AQx,  !C x
Then there could be a play for 4 !H.  I will bid 3 !H and if he has better he will go to the heart game. 

C. 1 !S
A match point decision.  It looks like 1  !S is the safest.  East is more likely to have length in the minors than in spades. 

D. 2 !H (a3)
I don't like it with a 4 card spade suit, but it looks like the least of evils.

E. 2 !C
I have too much to raise to 2 !S, so I will cue to show 3 card spade support and a decent hand.

F. 3 !D
I want to find out more so I make the 4SF bid of 3 !D.  It is true that if partner had the nightmare hand of:
 !S Q,   !H AQJxxx,  !D Jx,  !C QJxx which is every high card except the the AK  !D, partner would bid 3  !H and we would be no further forward.   

G. 6 !H
There is no way to find out partner's heart holding so I will go for the most likely and bid 6 !H.

G. 10  !D I spose

blubayou

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2021, 12:20:43 PM »
August Guesses:

A.   5 !C . ... Partner may well have only four spades and six clubs with a hand that just wishes to compete. But I’m not going to start making up new meta-rules in the middle of an auction. The last time I checked: New suit by unpassed responder is forcing.
  ]I don't think  it is a new meta-rule   that 3 !C ,  in the auction " 1 !D  [pass] 1 !S  [2 !H ]; Dbl [PASS]  3 !C   " is a plea to play right there in 3 clubs-just an obvious exception that a pair would forget to discuss. Since in problem A,  the lurker did raiseto 3 !H , I guess we need the same sort of hand but closer to 10-count than 6-count.  I wish you well with you bump to game. At least 2 of us are in the right suit!  I fear that the 4 Diamond bidders  might just have to play it there.

SOLUTIONS FOR:Jock McQuade3 Bag EndHobbiton OR 97030U.S.A:
PROBLEM A: Pass        PROBLEM B: 3 Diamonds   PROBLEM C: 1 Notrump   PROBLEM D: (a1) | (b1)
PROBLEM E: 2 Clubs  PROBLEM F: 3 Diamonds    PROBLEM G: 6 Hearts      PROBLEM H: Spade 5
A copy of these solutions will be e-mailed...
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 12:52:36 PM by blubayou »

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2021, 07:07:13 PM »
SOLVER: Kenneth Berg
        320 Quail Dr
        Sykesville MD 21784
        U.S.A.

-------------------
PROBLEM A: 4 Diamonds
PROBLEM D: (a1) | (b1)
PROBLEM H: Diamond 10
Ken

hoki

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2021, 06:50:02 AM »
PROBLEM B: 4 Clubs
PROBLEM C: 1 Spade
PROBLEM D: (a1) | (b1)
PROBLEM G: Double

yleexotee

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2021, 05:32:30 PM »
PROBLEM A: 4 Spades        Decided against anything like 4D because I'm not sure we have established a suit, or if it might look like a rebid
PROBLEM B: 3 Diamonds     I don't think I have enough to take 9 tricks before the good 3c bidder gets back in after they knock out my club ace
PROBLEM C: 1 Notrump       I really thought about 1s, but 1nt seems more systemicly appropriate
PROBLEM D: (a3) | (b1)       In real life I think I would bid the weak open, so stuck with it. but I pass after they open, maybe we'll defend in a major
PROBLEM E: 2 Clubs            bit of a punt here, but I think its right
PROBLEM F: 3 Diamonds      Leaving room for pard to tell me more
PROBLEM G: 2 Spades        Not sure what info I can get from p, but I just hate the big jumps to game/slam, etc.
PROBLEM H: Spade Ace       I had D10 at first, but decided to go more aggresive. hopefully the ops 1S bid was a lowbie 4 spades and this is the killer lead.

wackojack

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2021, 09:08:04 PM »
SOLUTIONS FOR:
Jack Goody
Guildford
England

PROBLEM B: 3 Hearts
PROBLEM C: 1 Spade
PROBLEM G: 6 Hearts

ccr3

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2021, 10:08:45 PM »
OLVER: Patricia McDermott
        8015 Buford Commons
        N. Chesterfield VA 23235
        U.S.A.

-------------------
PROBLEM A: 5 Clubs

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2021, 10:50:30 PM »
SOLUTIONS FOR:
James Creech
5107 Sewells Pointe Dr.
Fredericksburg VA 22407
U.S.A.

PROBLEM B: Pass
PROBLEM C: 1 Spade  I fear that passing 1H will not reap a large enough penalty, I would prefer to bid 1NT, but the lead directing aspects of bidding spades has the dual purpose of pushing the contract higher and setting the defense.
PROBLEM H: Spade Ace  My heart is with the HQ, and am looking forward to seeing the scores and any discussion that might involve this lead.  I hate giving up the tempo, so I decided to hope for a layout like Joe is, and give up my dream that the !H Q is the killer.

I think I only had two changes, and have discussed my departure from what I think is right to one that I think will be safer for the MSC director.
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

drac

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2021, 04:47:50 AM »
Wladislaus Dragwlya
Tin Street No.1
Castrum Sex 545400
Romania