Author Topic: 2021 AUGUST MSC  (Read 13126 times)

Masse24

• View Profile
2021 AUGUST MSC
« on: June 02, 2021, 12:49:43 AM »
AUGUST 2021 MSC

Deadline: June 30 at 11:59 p.m. (ET)

Submit your AUGUST MSC responses here: The Bridge World - MASTER SOLVERS CLUB

BWS 2017 System: BWS 2017
BWS 2017 POLLS, CHANGES AND ADDITIONS: BWS 2017 - Polls, Changes, and Additions
  • Bridge World Standard 2017 (BWS or BWS2017) is effective beginning with the January 2017 Master Solvers' Club problems. This page shows (1) the results of the panelist polls that were used to adjust the system; and (2) the changes in and the additions to Bridge World Standard 2001 (BWS2001) that were made.
    In the listings of the questions and answers, an asterisk indicates the BWS2001 agreement; the proportion of the expert votes for each item, rounded to the nearest percent, is shown in brackets.

IAC Forum MSC Scores

“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

blubayou

• IACAdmins
  • lifelong director [1977-2010] and haunter of ACBL
    • View Profile
Re: 2021 AUGUST MSC
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2021, 01:46:05 AM »
PROBLEM A:>>If 6th chair had passed, then partner's THREE club rebid would be 'to play', HOPEFULLY showing 4-6 in the blacks.  I believe that is still his message though we should expect something like Kxxx, --,10xx, KQxxxx, or SLIGHTLY better (it cannot be a LOT better, or the first response would be 2 clubs, not the 4-card major).
This perfect minimum  will usually make 5 clubs but shall we reach for the 22-23 point game in a minor  or be content that we have found the right trump suit?   What do you say, Joe?

PROBLEM B:>>                               -- Double --
The  "Come on: get real" take on this deal notices the LAW number is liable to be 16 or less.  So even if the cards are split 20/20 3C should be too high for our vulnerable opps.   And why should partner be saddled with only a 12-cout, eh?.   If so, both sides may be down at the 9-trick level.   No 'insurance'  run-out  of 3D  for me--IMPS or not,  but I hope this is a LONG knockout match if these guys bring home a +670  <wimper>

PROBLEM C:>>    Imagine partner has exactly this hand, with every suit flipped.   If we pass out,  declarer would get 2  !D s, 3 !H s and 1 somewhere from friendly defense?. So the balancing 1NT works better if we can neutralize most of those 4 missing Jacks and bring in +120.  Would pard raise our 1NT to three with Qx, 7xx, QTxx, AKTx?  if so,  to go plus we will need to neutralize ALL of them, or take a minus. There's the rub.  Someone else will have to tout the charms of reopening with 1 spade, and I'm sure they will.

PROBLEM D :>>  This is a little joke, right?  Nope! -- PROBLEM G is the joke for this summer.  (pass both)

PROBLEM E:>>  Abstain!  This hand is easily too good for a reopening simple bid and must start with "double". My vote will be to raise pard's spades to two but Had I doubled, I could rebid 1NT --showing this hand.

Since this is a super-maximum for "1 !HFrank's cue bid has to come to the top as a valiant effort to escape the trap I have set for our pair. [correction!:  everybody BUT Frank,  who is even more concious of the 1H being an underbid, hence catching up with a game declaration!]
PROBLEM F:>>  .....BWS2001 and 2017:". After a two-over-one response, a two-level reverse or a non-jump three-level new-suit bid shows extra strength, but two notrump or a single raise may be based on a minimum hand."...<more>

PROBLEM G:>>  .....

PROBLEM H:>>  Scenario one:  Partner is busted except for the  !D Queen behind dummy's AKx(x) Opps have 6 clubs and 2 diamonds ready to go,  but pard will get in with that queen in time to put a heart through if I start diamonds now.
Scenario two:  Partner is busted except for the spade jack and 0-2 other ones, and opps have nine or more minors to cash asap they get the lead.  we need to score that spade ack on the opening lead and hope for the heart switch. 
Scenario three:  The opps are refugees from the BBO 'zoo',  and have bid this way with 11 in each hand;  Partner has the diamond ACE--and  JT*?* in hearts, so  the spade lead gives them an undeserved 7th trick  while the diamond lead gives us  2 !S s, 1 !D , and 3 (+?)  !H s, also resulting in minus two, usually.  I mention this only because it happened to me June 8th (the point-counts--not the entire set-up)  ::)
                                                                -- spade five --
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 02:23:53 AM by blubayou »
often it is better to beg forgiveness, than ask permission

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2021, 04:28:53 PM »
PROBLEM H: (Space reserved for future silly guess).  ;)

I went with the !H Ace.

I hate lead problems.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 12:40:44 AM by Masse24 »
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2021, 08:16:39 PM »
Todd,

You have gone four in  row with the top score, so the whole world is watching for your words of wisdom on Problem H.

Personally, I thought you would sort a hand, then select the 7th card in, or perhaps the !H Q.  However, if you were to select the !H Q, I almost expect you to stick with it for your final answer and then find it is another top.
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

peuco

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2021, 06:16:40 PM »
A. 5C p must have something interesting to risk 4H from opps
B. 3NT i do not think 3C is going down more than 1 and may even make

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2021, 08:50:04 PM »

PROBLEM H:>>  Scenario one:  Partner is busted except for the  !D Queen behind dummy's AKx(x) Opps have 6 clubs and 2 diamonds ready to go,  but pard will get in with that queen in tome to put a heart through if i start diamonds now.
Scenario two:  Partner is busted except for the spade jack and 0-2 other ones, and opps have nine or more minors to cash asap they get the lead.  we need to score that spade ack on the opening lead and hope for the heart switch.                         
                                                                -- spade five --

Heaven help me! I'm starting to think like Blu!  :o

I read the MSC problems the day I posted them, June 1. Something I never do.

I, too, was intrigued by the possibility of underleading my !S AKx, thinking no one else was nuts enough to suggest it.

I stand corrected.

yleexotee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2021, 09:29:04 PM »
A- think I"m going with 4S. that 4c should show a strong hand, but I need a piece of information about BWS. is 1s the call with a GF hand, or would 2c be the call with a GF hand and then mention the major. without knowing that, I don't fully know pards hand. p better have good reason to pass up 3nt.
B-  leaning toward 3nt, though a wimpy 3D is possible.
C - 1S
D - I want to do A1 and B1, but again msc biases against pass most of the time, so maybe A3
E - 2c  and make pard decide something
F - 3D, but should just take the hint and bid 4nt. the hint is always worth 80 or 90.
G - 2S if I feel like going low, but 6h whammo maybe.
H - 10D, 2D, AS  no strong feeling as of yet. often in these hands the first major mentioned by responder is not a great one and the 3nt bidder is relying on it. so I lean toward A, K and low. and see if that gets us into parts hand later.

peuco

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2021, 05:51:11 PM »
C. 1NT what else
D. A3/b1 Top players open W2 with four of other major all the time. guess they know the game
E. 3NT after abstaining
F. 3S 2S does not promise 6
G. 6C or 2S not sure yet
H. H Ace may catch a stiff K

wackojack

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2021, 08:27:43 PM »
[Matchpoints
Neither side vulnerable
You, South, hold:
♠ A 8 4   ♥ 10 8 4 3   ♦ K Q J 8   ♣ A 4
SOUTH   WEST   NORTH   EAST
1 ♦   Pass   1 ♠   2 ♥
Double*   3 ♥   4 ♣   Pass
 ?         
*BWS: three spades

2 possible types of hand for partner come to mind: 
1.   ♠ KQJ10x;  !H x,  !D Ax;  ♣KQJxx.  Partner’s bid of 4♣ is a slam try.  So, I will bid 4 !D showing A !D or K !D.  If partner does have a singleton  !H, she will bid 4 !H.  Then I will wheel out RKB.

OR

2.    Could partner be weakish with 4♠ and 6+ ♣s?  Say ♠ Kxxx,  !H x;  !D xx; ♣ KQJ109x where 5♣ has got chances. 

Either way I will bid 4 !D.   

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2021, 09:36:24 PM »
First try

A. 4D  Partner could hold a variety of things, I'll see what he does next.
B. 3D Partner rates to be short in clubs, so he will re-open most all the time. I realize 3NT might be there, but 3D is enough for now.
C. 1NT Surely this is in the point count range, sort of minimal.
D. a3,  b1   I suppose a3, but but but. Ok, a3. And b1.
E. 2C Pretty good hand for my 1H balance. I sure hope 2C is artificial
F. 3D This is my diamond day
G. 2S  This hand might make 7C but not 7H. Maybe not even 6H. Might as well explore. Yes, the opps are going to jack it up but still.
H. DT I suppose declarer has 8 tricks but he might not have 9. So we can develop a D.
Ken

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2021, 02:51:43 AM »
I have not liked this set, which is part of the reason why I have been reluctant to post my initial selections.

Problem A:  4 !S  I suspect that partner is making a cue-bid in support of spades, but I don't feel secure enough at this point to cooperate and bid 4 !D.  If this were with my favorite partner, I would cooperate, anyone else, run to the nearest 7+ fit.

Problem B:  Pass  Unless one of the red suits is producing five tricks, I find it hard to envision 3NT making.  However, there are lots of ways that 3 !C will be going down.  All we need is down two to beat game.  I may be buying the team dinner, but I think this is the best plus position. even with several quacks.

Problem C:  Pass  Partner did not have anything worth overcalling or enough strength to make a takeout double.  Although it is possible  partner has a trap pass, it is highly unlikely staring at QTxx.  I will apologize if this turns out to be an offensive 5-0 and a defensive 4-4.

Problem D:  A3 | B1  On A, I dislike preempting with four in the other major, but that heart suit is too good not to bid, and I will not open one.  On B, I am sorely tempted to bid, but the hand is too weak to make a direct bid as much as I would like to.

Problem E:  2 !C  I expect partner to have 10 points or at least close to it, so I expect game somewhere.  The spade bid should also show at least tolerance for hearts, just as I hope my cue-bid will suggest a willingness to be in spades.  Maybe the cue-bid will get partner to clarify our direction.

Problem F:  3 !D  Again, I feel stuck on direction.  Right now, I expect to be in slam unless we can determine that we are missing the AK in diamonds, but partner has not supported my spades and I would like to know whether partner has five hearts or five clubs or a concentration of values in diamonds.  The next bid may help.

Problem G: 2 !S  If this were an 8-5, I would choose the 8, but with a 7-6, I want to see if partner has a preference.  With three hearts, that will clearly be the pick, otherwise, I will rebid some high number of clubs - perhaps 7 counting on ruffing out the hearts.

Problem H:  !H Q  As the unbid suit, hearts seem like the most likely place to set up tricks, the question is how best to proceed.  It sounds like declarer may have the K, but is it K, Kx or Kxx.  If it is a stiff K, then Peuco is right and you lay down the ace.  If it is Kxx, it is better to try the Q, and hope declarer grabs the K right away.  If it is Kx, it doesn't really matter as long as you get the AQ out of your hand in the first two tricks.  Holding most of the partnership's high cards, partner probably does not have an outside entry, so you are trying to get there with partner's hoped for J.
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

blubayou

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2021, 10:56:26 PM »

lead problem?   the hoped-for jack  is the spade jack.   Success with clearing opener's hear king will allow us an easy claim of  six tricks.. AFTER she has run 6 clubs and two-four diamonds  (and the heart king).  stick with the diamond punt or the heroic low spade to the jack of SPADES  folks.for #A: If partner is OK WITH our partial spade support, she has a perfectly easy and clear cue bid in HEARTS.  If she is not OK with our having 3 spades, she can only say a minor, or nothing at all now.  So I repeat:(1)SHE IS NOT OK with our 3-card spade support, and (2) she has 6+ clubs,  and something nice but less than a 2-over-one (admittedly a narrow band of strength.)   Here's hoping everything doesn't go  tikkety-boo in 4 clubs,  because I am letting it ride.  Perhaps +150 won't be a ghastly result?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 01:22:34 AM by blubayou »

DickHy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2021, 11:04:23 PM »
A.  4 !D.  Partner rates to be short in hearts and has not bid diamonds over 3 !H, so 4 !C must show 5125 or a Walsh-like 4126.  Partner is an unpassed hand, so I’m not comfortable with passing.  With Ax in clubs opposite a partner holding 4126, clubs may be preferable to spades.  Do I bid 4 !S to show Hxx (as opposed to xxx) or 4 !D to show the solid suit?  A 4 !S bid may carry the implication that I’m rejecting clubs (say I am 3451), 4 !D is more neutral.

B.  Pass/4 !DBWS; a single jump-overcall of a suit opening in direct position is pre-emptive.  Red v white opposite a passed partner, suppose East has eight (7?) clubs topped with KQJ and not much else opposite a partner with 8 HCP (say).  That leaves 18 HCP with partner, which makes sense.  Then we have game, but perhaps I should pass: West’s HCP are under partner’s strength and we could easily take 6 tricks for 500.  That’s better than 3N. 

• If West has only 4 HCP and partner his max of 22, have we got a chance for slam in a suit?  Partner with 4531/3541 would bid the second suit rather than double, so may be 4540.  I’m not quite sure what partner would bid with 21/22 HCP and six hearts – 3 !H over 3 !C looks a bit weak with that hand.  So, we may have a 62 heart fit or a 54 diamond fit.  I’m not bidding at the three-level – that’s too weak for my hand in these circumstances.  4 !C doesn’t look that helpful for partner if we are searching for a thin slam, whereas 4 !D does.  Slam chance or 500 penalty? Dreamer or realist? 

C.  1N.  This looks straightforward (last words?):  BWS; In reopening position: a one-notrump overcall shows 10-14 HCP

D.  (A) a3 (B) pass/b3.  BWS; A first- or second-position weak two-bid that includes three of this list of characteristics is unacceptable: five cards in the bid suit; seven cards in the bid suit; flimsy (definition adjusted to suit the vulnerability) six cards in the bid suit; side void; side four-card or longer suit. Otherwise, opener may use judgment.  This hand has only 2 from this list, so it’s down to my judgement – that’s ok then!?!     

• If East opened 3 !C, partner and West have 24 HCP between them, a 20/20 hand perhaps. Passing feels poor with six hearts, but looks correct … even for methed-up MSC bidders? 

E.  1N/2 !C.  We may have 25 HCP between us.  Presumably I didn’t bid 1N because I am a tad too strong for this (10-14), so bidding 1N now shows my strength, but does it obscure my 3c spade support?  2 !C might be better from that point of view, as partner is forced to bid.  Partner will know a subsequent spade bid from me shows three of ‘em.     

F.   3 !D.  We’re heading for a slam, but I know not where, so 3 !D looks a decent option. If my 2 !S does not necessarily show a 6c suit, I would like to bid 3 !S.  What will partner do over these bids holding 2524?  After 3 !S he will bid 4 !S even if he has diamond control because from his point of view clubs are uncontrolled – then I can’t make a move because diamonds may be uncontrolled.  That looks a mess.   After 3 !D won’t 2524 partner bid 3 !S in case I have six spades?   That leaves more room to found out about diamond control. 

G.   2 !S.  If, with no further prompting from me, partner bids clubs, I’ll raise to 7 !C; if hearts, 6 !H.  If the auction goes (1 !S) – 2 !S – (4 !S) – p, I’ll bid 5 !S.

H.   AS/something else.  East looks to be (2/1)3(2/3)6 or (2/1)4(2/3)5 and must hold the heart king.  They have crept somewhat to 3N (perhaps relying on six club tricks) so partner may have a queen or even a king.  If partner’s honour is in clubs we’re dead.  In diamonds, a queen might be too slow or die if East is 1345 (and preferred no trumps to the diamond fit), but the king would win.  Then there’s the perfect partner who is clutching the spade queen. 

• Normally against no trumps, leading the ace forces partner to unblock or give count (both catastrophic here), but surely with an opponent having bid the suit, partner will revert to attitude if I lead the spade ace?  He knows I know that he has only one honour card, and it has to be in spades or diamonds to be useful, so an attitude card will tell me which.  Surely, professionals must adapt carding to particular circumstances, rather than following standard agreements by rote.  If partner gives negative attitude (or the spade queen is in dummy), I will switch to a diamond.

I must make these dits much, much shorter
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 09:44:38 AM by DickHy »

blubayou

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2021, 06:51:50 PM »
I don't want to wear out my welcome on problem A,  but  cannot  be silent.   Dick,  and any others that think of  4D :   "IF 4C  rejects the "spade fit"  as we believe it does,  then  our "4D" REJECTS the club  "grope"...and I sure hope 4D is playable---but you should be dummy for 4 or 5 clubs--good luck with,our KQJx facing 10xx + heart void dummy!!  pard's 4C was natural , and CLEARLY  a grope,   and we cannot cannot cannot  deny him  without 6 card diamonds or  5 pretending to be six  --   {  for the umpteenth time,  i say  this forum  welcomes your wonderful take on  this quiz,  and I hope we agree on several of these cool problems,  even if nobody else  goes with us! }
  HOKI:  You continue  to score  'own-goals'  in this  America-centric  contest...but is it REALLY true than across the pond,  KJxx, x, Tx,  KQ?xxx  is a 2C response  rather than  "1 !S ' ?  This  jab  surely must be my last one  at this great problem (#A),  after all, there are 4 more almost as fascinating  :D
...  on that note,  onward to the impossible  problem F....
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 10:16:07 PM by blubayou »

hoki

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2021, 07:45:58 AM »
A  I'm with the school that sees 4♣ as a slam try, so 4 is a control bid. With a weak hand pard could just bid 3♠.

B  It's IMPs, so even in a long match I would not like facing team mates with a score of minus 670. 3 or 3 will do me since I don't believe in hanging partner for wishing to compete.

C  1♠.

D  Pass ... and Pass.

E  Agree with the abstainers - it's a clear double on the first round. No choice now but 2♣. 

F  3.

G  Dble.

H  10.