Author Topic: 2021 July MSC  (Read 17594 times)

jcreech

• View Profile
Re: 2021 July MSC
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2021, 11:56:49 PM »
Right after posting the last of the summaries, there was a flurry of discussion on the August  poll.  I am just bringing attention back here, in case there are those who were interested, but did not know the summaries had been posted.  Look on page 3 for the summaries.
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

blubayou

• IACAdmins
  • lifelong director [1977-2010] and haunter of ACBL
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2021, 02:16:21 AM »
We cant IMAGINE any participant missing the summaries,  but a good P.R. move anyway, Jim!

A rehash on the lead problem:  22  of the 27(28) panelists commented,  and only TWO of the many in the "pass/give diamond-ruff"  majority expected partner to also provide the setting trick as well (Steve Garner & Gary Cohler)  All the others considered it just a hope, and a possibly forlorn one, eg:
[ZIA: "The double says he's ruffing something, not promising to beat the contract. I hope he has a plan"]

Add those approx  15 or 16 doubters  to the 5 more who voted with their feet (7 !C !)  and  I read this  as a 5 to 1 landslide for the position that somebody with a Lightner Double "Just does it--let the chips fall where they may regarding the SETTING tricks"

One other set-up  I don't think the IAC even mentioned  is the idea that dummy has a huge 7-4-?-? in the majors  and our pard has 11 minor cards and 0=2 majors.  At least 3 panelists found that less unbelievable than my belief that pard has 2 hearts and 11 black cards.  But the moderator gently stomped on this being the case, noting that if he did have such, he would bail out to 6 spades "in a New York minute", rather than play victim to the Lightner.  (Unless he had SUCH a moose that he was confident of the remaining 12 tricks, hey?)

« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 06:54:45 AM by blubayou »
often it is better to beg forgiveness, than ask permission

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2021, 05:28:14 PM »
Jock,

My thinking has always been that for a person to make a Lightner double, there should be something rational about the decision.  Earlier, I viewed it as either a certainty or near certainty of a set, and this was largely because of the rarity of the situation.  More recently, I've reconsidered and brought it more in line with other types of decision that I make more frequently.

If the double is in a strong auction, then the doubler should be looking at two probable tricks - the ruff plus a hopefully cashing ace or a positional king.  This is because the defense does not have the values for developmental tricks - say a QJx.  On a more distributionally-based auction, where the defense also has values, it could be based more on speculation - a ruff and hopefully a second trick.  So then what percentage of certainty should you need to think there is a second trick in order to double to ensure the first?  It probably should be roughly the same risk-reward calculation you make when deciding whether to bid a close game or slam (though you should consider the chance that the opponents will redouble and make it stick too or can run to a contract that is cold).

Another consideration is whether your teammates are likely to bid the slam.  The less likely they are to bid the slam, and a Lightner double will give the defense a chance to set the contract when it would otherwise be a certainty to make, then the Lightner double should be automatic.  The loss of few IMPs for the chance to save 10 or more make the calculation easy.

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2021, 11:16:59 PM »
In other words, it depends on the auction;) ;D

EDIT: Font adjusted to convey sarcasm.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 11:42:52 PM by Masse24 »
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2021, 06:23:51 PM »
Richard Pavlicek on Bridge Winners:  There's a simple solution to these issues, Reverse Lightner:  Pass demands an unusual lead. Double says "Make your normal lead; there's no way we're beating this."

S.J. Simon said in Why You Lose At Bridge (paraphrased) that the greatest benefit of a Lightner double is that it kept people from doubling with two aces that weren't cashing!