Author Topic: 2021 JUNE MSC  (Read 21997 times)

blubayou

• IACAdmins
  • lifelong director [1977-2010] and haunter of ACBL
    • View Profile
Re: 2021 JUNE MSC
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2021, 10:52:12 PM »
Everybody is misreading the diagrams this month :(
   1)  Joe considers setting them in 2S, when it is US that is in that bid  ( admitted I have bulled that same idea)
   2)  Todd blurts out "partner has psyched", when he rebid his psyche-suit, then kept our 2D rebid open-on E:>
   3)  and just now, Ken ponders pard's failure to bid spades on B:>  which has gone 1 !C  (1 !H ) pass 1 !S ;__

I'm sure all 3 of these brain farts would get noticed in a week ,  but--since a week  is ALL WE HAVE LEFT,  here it is in writing  ;D
often it is better to beg forgiveness, than ask permission

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2021, 12:08:43 AM »
Everybody is misreading the diagrams this month :(
   1)  Joe considers setting them in 2S, when it is US that is in that bid  ( admitted I have bulled that same idea)
   2)  Todd blurts out "partner has psyched", when he rebid his psyche-suit, then kept our 2D rebid open-on E:>
   3)  and just now, Ken ponders pard's failure to bid spades on B:>  which has gone 1 !C  (1 !H ) pass 1 !S ;__

I'm sure all 3 of these brain farts would get noticed in a week ,  but--since a week  is ALL WE HAVE LEFT,  here it is in writing  ;D

Very altruistic of you Jock.  Many would let so many notables bask in their brain farts and hope the stink doesn’t spread into their own thinking.  Others would blindly follow their chosen leader.  Me, I didn’t go back to see if their thinking made any sense – glad we have a conscience for the forum.
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2021, 01:09:24 AM »
Maybe I  phrased it badly.  Here is how my response began:
 I double. Partner thinks "Hmm. He passed the first time but now doubles. He must have some values or he would not be doubling now. He does not have spades or he would have shown them before.  ... "

Note the quotes. I imagine partner thinking "Hmm. He [the He, from pard's mouth, is me] passed the first time but now doubles. He [same] must have some values or he [same] would not be doubling now. He [same] does not have spades ...

Along the way I did put in [this is still pard thinking] hoping to keep it clear but it didn't work.

I was a little worried about phrasing it that way, I guess I should have worried more.

To be clear, or hopefully clear, "He does not have spades or he would have shown them before." was my imagining that my partner would realize that I do not have spades.

I guess I might have said "partner will realize that I do not have four spades". I was attempting to crawl inside partner's head to see what he would make of my double. Oh well.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 06:52:40 PM by kenberg »
Ken

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2021, 12:42:18 AM »
I am sticking with my A and B choices of 2S on A and X on B. On both of these I think my pass at my first turn significantly affects how partner should view my bid.

C: 3C. I can understand Pass, it could well be right, but I go with 3C. The issues seem clear enough, but the choice is not clear, not to me. But I go with 3C.

D: I go with c. There are a lot of ways to lose two ricks. I suppose we might well miss a laydown slam.

E: 4H.  I suppose I could try science but I'm just going with 4H. Of course pard might have been a bit stuck for a rebid either with his 2C or his 2H but he will often have six clubs and three hearts, and not all that many spades. When he has only five clubs that actually might be better, because for a 2C rebid on a five card suit I would expect the clubs to be pretty good. Four heart tricks, one diamond and five clubs adds up to ten, and there seems to be some back up if that isn't exactly where the tricks come from.

Ok, F,G,H are still in the future. The one I am most likely to change my mind about is the 3C bid on C.

Btw, I would bid 1H over 1C on E even when I am not playing Walsh. AKQx looks a lot like five cards. BWS standard is sort of Walsh Lite but I just bid 1H whatever we are playing.
Ken

hoki

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2021, 04:50:29 AM »
PROBLEM A: 2 Spades - non-forcing constructive, implies at least club tolerance
PROBLEM B: Double - even though I passed on my previous turn this must surely be take-out
PROBLEM C: Pass - a pure guess, but no guarantee at all that we can make nine tricks in clubs
PROBLEM D: (a) - arguably the most descriptive option
PROBLEM E: Pass - tough, as discussed within the confines of the BW system
PROBLEM F: 3 Hearts - an overbid but hard to pass
PROBLEM G: Pass - maybe they got lucky (?), don't want to hang partner for balancing
PROBLEM H: Club Ace

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2021, 03:42:05 PM »
i have some incomplete thoughts on C, strictly fwiw.
I often express skepticism of LOTT but let's try it out here. We are looking at 7 clubs, the most likely holding for partner is 2 clubs but 3 is certainly possible. I have not calculated it all out but think of it this way Perhaps everyone else has two clubs. Or maybe they are distributed 1 to one player, 2 to another, and 3 to the third. In the first case pard has2. In the second case he will have 3 a third of the time, 2 a third of the time, and 1 a third of the time. Of course there are other possibilities but this suggests he will have 2 or 3 a decent portion of the time.

My initial thoughts were, and still are, that making 3C is a decent bet. The problem is that we might not be playing 3C passed out. If the unseen 6 clubs are split2-2-2 then maybe everyone passes and I make 3C, but that's asking for a bit.

When pard has three clubs then the opponents, together, have 23 non-clubs and so there is a good chance that they have a 9 card fit somewhere. Even when pard has only 2 clubs there is a fair chance they have a 9 card fit somewhere. If so, LOTT says that there are 18 total tricks.

I do think that LOTT is oversold ( last heard, Mike Lawrence agrees, that smart fellow). It's more like ona average the total;tricks and total trump are the same, sometimes one is ;arger, sometimes the other, and it balances out to being about equal.

Still, I have never claimed LOTT is irrelevant, It is just not as easy to apply as its supporters often claim.

I'm still thinking about this.

Ken

bAbsG

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2021, 06:27:29 PM »
SOLVER: Babs Giesbrecht
       Qualicum Beach BC V9K 1C9
       Canada

Your Solutions for the June 2021 Contest 
-------------------
PROBLEM A: 3 Clubs
PROBLEM B: 2 Clubs
PROBLEM C: Pass
PROBLEM D: (a)
PROBLEM E: 3 Clubs
PROBLEM F: Double
PROBLEM G: Pass

wackojack

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2021, 09:19:24 PM »
PROBLEM A.  2♠

2♠ is not forcing and showing tolerance for clubs.  That may be our only chance of a positive score.

PROBLEM B. Double. 

The fact that I passed over 1♥, shows that I have hearts.  Partner most likely has a balanced 12-14 maybe 4234 and will rebid 1NT.  If say 4135 shape will rebid 2♣. 

PROBLEM C.  3♣
Is the hand ours or not?  Partner on average will have 9-10HCP.  4432 ♠Kxxx, ♥AJxx, ♦Jxx, ♣Jx.  Here it looks like we can make 9 tricks in ♣s and opps can make 8 tricks in hearts.   OK go for it matchpoint part score 3C

PROBLEM D.  Option b

4♣ is not helpful to partner
I choose b because that is the most uninformative for the opps.  If we are off ♠AK then still a chance ♠not led. 

PROBLEM E. No idea
OK 3 !C looks least bad

PROBLEM F. 3 !D
Tell partner what you have got

PROBLEM G. 2♠
With 11 I need to compete but as cheaply as possible

PROBLEM H. A !C

Now I will read the comments and may change my mind

ccr3

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2021, 12:08:44 AM »
Problem A: No doubt, 2S. I imply I have tolerance for clubs. Give partner the choice.
Problem B: 1NT after going round and round: three possibilities.  I passed the first go round to allow partner to double and I convert. That didn't
                       happen so now I'll bid 1NT showing hearts.
Problem C:  Pass, I just don't believe in giving opponents a chance to find their major fit.
Problem D:  C: I'm sticking with 2d. With three major suit top honors outstanding, bidding slam is risky unless
                  partner has interest. 
Problem E:  3c. Since partner implied having 6 clubs, I'm giving him a chance to pass or bid 3nt. I've bid my hand to the
                  fullest. He could easily have values in spades.
Problem F:  3H. If West has long clubs along with spades, he can make 2 spades. There's always the chance my partner has
                  diamonds with me.
Problem G:  Dble. West is broke. He passed the first round of bidding.
Problem H:  C A looks like a trap. Looks too obvious. But......like Todd, I hate leads - at least dealing with MSC!

« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 12:18:58 AM by ccr3 »

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2021, 01:07:28 AM »
On Problem E, I am starting to project some wicked thoughts into the minds of our MSC panelists.  What if YleeXotee is right about the redouble, but wrong about why.  Perhaps our best game is to play in 2 !S XX and make eight tricks on power while in clear violation of Burns' first law.  We may have a 3-3 or 3-2 fit, with enough outside cashers.  If Woolsey still had a chance to be the moderator, I could see him giving this a decent score if he agreed with the theory.

It might even work with the simple pass, since 2 !S X is game.

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2021, 01:38:56 AM »
If Woolsey still had a chance to be the moderator . . .

Kleinman is director this month if they stick to their pattern.

In my opinion, he is the toughest of all the directors, giving little credence to choices he does not agree with.
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

ccr3

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2021, 02:40:55 PM »
SOLVER: Patricia McDermott
        8015 Buford Commons
        N. Chesterfield VA 23235
        U.S.A.

Your Solutions for the June 2021 Contest
-------------------
PROBLEM A: 2 Spades
PROBLEM B: 1 Notrump
PROBLEM D: (c)
PROBLEM F: 3 Hearts
PROBLEM G: Double

blubayou

• IACAdmins
  • lifelong director [1977-2010] and haunter of ACBL
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2021, 01:12:37 PM »
SOLUTIONS FOR: Jock McQuade 3 Bag End, Hobbiton OR 97030
.PROBLEM A: 2 Notrump
PROBLEM B: 1 Notrump
PROBLEM C: 3 Clubs
PROBLEM D: (a)                   Best answer = (d) --[5-5+ in the reds, forcing]
PROBLEM E: Pass    We have at least 8 winners; I am drawing trumps and then taking them.                                         If this is not true, then whatever game we reach won't be making, and                                                 three clubs, interpreted as passable will win the pot.
PROBLEM F: Pass
PROBLEM G: 2 Spades
   A copy of these solutions will be e-mailed to you for your records.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 01:26:13 PM by blubayou »
often it is better to beg forgiveness, than ask permission

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2021, 01:19:27 PM »
Taking a closer look at "B" this morning.

I know partner has spades. Probably four. But there is no guarantee he has an honor. They could be xxxx. So my admittedly “out there” 1NT is too speculative, and will probably not score. Kleinman would stomp on it and give me a 30. My at-the-table-I have-three-seconds-to-think-about-it call is Double. But thinking it through, I worry that partner will pass--and--a double promises more than a stiff, yes? To avoid that, Pass by me actually has merit. But it’s matchpoints and we’re only at the one level. Competing seems clear. What am I left with? 2 !C. Not really thinking we’ll play it there (though we might) but hoping to push the opps up to 2 !S in their eight-card fit. So I'm now vacillating between Pass and 2 !C.
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2021, 02:18:36 PM »
No changes from my initial thoughts.

SOLUTIONS FOR:
James Creech
5107 Sewells Pointe Dr.
Fredericksburg VA 22407
U.S.A.

PROBLEM A: 2 Spades
PROBLEM B: 2 Clubs
PROBLEM D: (c)  Extra thought:  Partner knows I am slamish.  If I was interested in any suit below spades, I probably would have tried a different route, but if partner does not have a spade control, I have no further interest.
PROBLEM F: Pass
PROBLEM G: Double