Author Topic: 2021 MAY MSC  (Read 10514 times)

yleexotee

• View Profile
Re: 2201 MAY MSC
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2021, 12:31:22 AM »
MAY GUESSES - (all preliminary):

PROBLEM H: !H J. Partner has nothing. Partner knows it. I know it. But declarer does not know it. If declarer has the !H T (or even partner), and no shortness in the heart suit, might this look like a shortness lead? If so, would he be more inclined to play the trump suit for a drop of the Queen? I don’t know, but I sure do hate lead problems!

I see someone has not learned their lesson about leading singleton against slams!

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2021, 01:22:31 AM »
MAY GUESSES - (all preliminary):

PROBLEM H: !H J. Partner has nothing. Partner knows it. I know it. But declarer does not know it. If declarer has the !H T (or even partner), and no shortness in the heart suit, might this look like a shortness lead? If so, would he be more inclined to play the trump suit for a drop of the Queen? I don’t know, but I sure do hate lead problems!

I see someone has not learned their lesson about leading singleton against slams!
Slow learner.

I like the !C 5 (my at the table, I only have five seconds to think it over lead) not because I think I will get a ruff, but because it's safe and presumably gives nothing away. That's why I went looking for something weird, which the !H J certainly is. I am still not sold on it. :o
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

wackojack

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2021, 10:19:34 AM »
A  4♣ competing.  Partner should not bid again. Partner has something like ♠Kxx, ♥xx, ♦xxx, ♣KQxxx.

B  3NT.  OK we could be missing 6♣, but we are too high to find out.

C   1 !S.  Does partner have ♠xx, ♥ A6532, ♦Axx, ♣ KQx or ♠KQJ, ♥K6532, ♦Axx, ♣xx?  If the first and I respond 1♠ can we get to 5♣?   Reluctantly 1♠.  3♣ looks tempting though.

D.  d5.  Go fishing (d5)

E. 3NT. More confident of making 9 tricks in no trumps than taking 7 tricks defending 3♠ x.

F. 2♠.  Partner almost certainly has 4 or more ♦s so this fits the bill

G. 3♠   With ♦s overcalled and raised partner’s distribution is likely 5413.  So we don’t want to sell out and defend a ♦ contract.

H.  J♥   Hoping that Q♠ could be a trick.  I want a lead that does not give a trick.  5 !C almost certainly will.  So I will try the slightly deceptive J♥ lead.  If partner has 10 singleton we have to hope that this does not cost.   

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2021, 01:06:07 PM »
Getting back to problem H—the dreaded lead problem—the !D J lead (which I first thought to be nuts) also appeals to me. Yes, it immediately gives up on hiding the location of my !D honors, but it begins to build a trick in the !D suit. Something that may be necessary to defeat the slam. The !C 5 just seems too passive against slam. Isn't the normal guidance to make an aggressive lead vs. slam?
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2021, 01:31:48 PM »
Todd, you need to listen to the auction, then balance your holding against what can be inferred, then select the lead.  As Kit Woolsey is saying over and over again, "every hand is different."  So the general rules should apply only when there is nothing else to base your choice on.

Disclaimer:  This opinion is not advocating any specific lead on this hand.  As far as I know, any of the thirteen cards may still be best.
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

wackojack

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2021, 09:32:41 PM »
SOLUTIONS FOR:
Jack Goody
Guildford
England

PROBLEM A: 4 Clubs
PROBLEM B: 3 Notrump
PROBLEM C: 1 Spade
PROBLEM D: (d5)
PROBLEM E: 3 Notrump
PROBLEM F: 2 Spades
PROBLEM G: 3 Spades
PROBLEM H: Heart Jack

yleexotee

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2021, 05:18:06 AM »
PROBLEM A: 4 Clubs - decided asking too much for p to have all that's needed for 3nt
PROBLEM B: 3 Notrump - dunno
PROBLEM E: Pass
PROBLEM F: 2 Spades
PROBLEM H: Club 5 - still think they could be off an ace. 9 card trump fit usually doesn't mind missing queen.

drac

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2021, 08:20:42 AM »
Wladislaus Dragwlya
Tin Street No.1
Castrum Sex 545400
Romania

PROBLEM D: (d2)
PROBLEM E: 4 Clubs
PROBLEM F: 2 Clubs
PROBLEM H: Heart Queen

MarilynLi

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2021, 11:09:13 AM »
PROBLEM A: 3 Hearts
PROBLEM B: 4 Clubs   Looks like we have a club fit, I see good slam possiblility
PROBLEM C: 3 Clubs   I don't like to bid 1S then facing a rebid after partner's 1NT or 2D
PROBLEM D: (d2)      Maybe rule of 7
PROBLEM F: 2 Clubs    Hopefully I can rebid D next turn
PROBLEM G: 3 Spades   3S is likely to make and better than 3DX-1, Game is possible too
PROBLEM H: Heart Queen   

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2021, 11:13:52 AM »
SOLUTIONS FOR:
James Creech
Fredericksburg VA 22407
U.S.A.

PROBLEM C: 1 Spade  (My only "known" change.  I feel certain that 1 !S will never be lower than 90, but 3 !C is where I want to be if there is no fit or there is only a NT game.  In other words, 3 !C is the feast or famine bid, but 1 !S is the bid no one will not at least consider strongly, and therefore safer for the contest.
PROBLEM F: 2 Clubs
PROBLEM G: Pass
PROBLEM H: Club 5
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2021, 11:43:35 AM »

PROBLEM H: Club 5 - still think they could be off an ace. 9 card trump fit usually doesn't mind missing queen.

Yes - off an Ace possible. But also missing the trump Queen? Only with a 10 card trump fit, not 9. 

If 10 card, then LHO has five since RHO has exactly and only five on the bidding.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 12:39:29 PM by Masse24 »

DickHy

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2021, 01:52:07 PM »
A.   4C.   If partner has AKxxx in clubs we’re losing a spade, heart (or two spades) and a diamond, but may well pick up the club queen.  With that hand we’ll pick up 4 tricks against 3D.  If partner has Axxxx in clubs and a useless honour in diamonds, say the Q, we’ll be losing 4 tricks, and probably still picking up 4 tricks against 3D.  So, -130 (pass) v +150/-100 (four clubs). 

B.  3N.  Would expect partner to have at least 8/9 HCP for a negative double at the 2-level.  3N or 5C?  Seems an academic question, as it’s now or never for a 3N bid.

C.  1S.  How will 2S (5-3) play compared to 3C (6-2)?  I will prefer playing in 3C, I think, but the most accurate way for me to get there is through 1S, not a direct 3C. 

D.   D5.  Double to begin with which starts Lebensohl, meaning partner’s 2S shows 0-7.  If 3H from me then asks for a stop in hearts, that’s the choice.  Partner will know I have a big hand to be thinking about 3N opposite his holding.  Partner will then bid 3N or 3S (both of which I pass) or 4H (with x/void in H and 5-7 HCP).   

E.  5C.  I’m at the top end of the 1N response range.  Partner could well be 1444 – a 1D opening would be consistent with that and the auction.  If 6C has chances, that is the spot.  Partner would need AK in both red suits and the K of clubs – is that unreasonable?  How best to pursue 6C?  4C looks a bit “ok, I’ve got to bid, so here it is (sigh)”.  5C looks better

F.   2C.  This looks pretty close to a 2S invite plus – all the HCP are working, but I’d probably prefer the minor holdings to be switched for that.  3D doesn’t look right.  Which leaves 2C.  It’s likely that West will bid 2S over my 2C, then if partner passes I can bid 3C and if partner does anything stronger, I can bid 3S asking for stop.

G.  Pass.  Partner looks to be short in diamonds and could be 55 or 64 in the majors or 5404.  I’d like to give him another chance to bid so I can choose the right suit.  Presumably, pass is forcing if x is definitely penalty and would shut partner up?

H.   HQ.  Opener is minimum but responder, who has no shortness, is 19 HCP ish – strong enough for slam opposite an opener who has shown a minimum hand.  Which means partner has nothing, so let’s not dream about a club ruff.  If I held the heart ten, the lead of the Jack might be tempting.  As it is declarer is likely to see the ten (in hand or dummy) and it’s odds-on then that declarer will ask if the lead of the J denies the Q.  Partner saying “yes” and me saying “usually” will see the Director arrive.

DickHy

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2021, 02:49:16 PM »
SOLUTIONS FOR:
Richard Harvey
5 Westwood Rd
Southampton SO31 5EL
U.K.