Author Topic: 2021 MAY MSC  (Read 10528 times)

Masse24

• View Profile
2021 MAY MSC
« on: March 10, 2021, 07:45:09 PM »
Contest deadline change: Beginning with the May MSC contest, the deadline for entering solutions will be at the end of the calendar month that is two months prior to the contest month. The deadline for the May MSC contest is March 31 at 11:59 p.m. (ET).

MAY 2021 MSC

Deadline: MARCH 31 at 11:59 p.m. (ET)

Submit your MAY MSC responses here: The Bridge World - MASTER SOLVERS CLUB

BWS 2017 System: BWS 2017
BWS 2017 POLLS, CHANGES AND ADDITIONS: BWS 2017 - Polls, Changes, and Additions
  • Bridge World Standard 2017 (BWS or BWS2017) is effective beginning with the January 2017 Master Solvers' Club problems. This page shows (1) the results of the panelist polls that were used to adjust the system; and (2) the changes in and the additions to Bridge World Standard 2001 (BWS2001) that were made.
    In the listings of the questions and answers, an asterisk indicates the BWS2001 agreement; the proportion of the expert votes for each item, rounded to the nearest percent, is shown in brackets.

IAC Forum MSC Scores

« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 12:57:01 PM by Masse24 »
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

jcreech

• View Profile
Re: 2201 MAY MSC
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2021, 11:52:20 PM »
OMG - no time to do anything this month.  Last month, I wold have tied for 1st overall in Honor Roll if I stuck with (and accurately recorded) my initial thoughts, so maybe that is a lesson for me.

Here are my initial thoughts:

Problem A: 4 !C.  I suspect a 10 card or better trump fit, so the four level should be safe.  I know partner is limited, but with the perfect 9 or the perfect 8 with a well placed trump K, seven could roll, and game on a lot less, but too much to find out and no good way to explore.

Problem B:  3 NT.  No great known fit, but we ought to be close on HCPs.  The preemptor is on my left, so hopefully if I need a club hook to make this contract, the missing honors will be on my right.

Problem C:  3 !C.  Taking the hint again.  3 !C should be safe to play, and hopefully partner will have the right sort of hand if s(he) tries 3NT.  My biggest fear is that we will belong in spades, and that my bypassing the suit has lost us that chance.

Problem D:  d5.  I have points, no spades to speak of, and  no heart stop.  I will try double, and when partner bids spades, cue-bid to try to find a partial stop in partner's hand for 3NT.

Problem E.  Pass.  I have my bid, in fact I have a max for my bid, and a bit more for my stop, so I see no reason to not convert the cooperative double to penalty.

Problem F:  2 !C.  I think I will take the hint to make the most descriptive of my choices.  With a 3 !D bid next to complete my description. I hope this is right.

Problem G:  Pass.  I still don't know which of partner's suits to prefer.  Maybe I will get lucky on the next round of bids.

Problem H:  !C 5,  RHO has a minimum opener with no real distribution (i.e., good long suit or shortness), so I'm not sure I want to commit any of my tenace positions to the opening lead.  Even though I am not necessarily looking for a ruff, it is probably the monkey lead.
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2021, 11:54:00 PM »
I'll start. Oops . . . Jim beat me to it!  ;)

PROBLEM A: 3 !S

Although partner has denied a major, I am willing to offer a Moysian fit in !S as our strain. We're vulnerable, and it's IMPs. But in addition to offering spades as a strain, hanging on to the possibility of partner bidding 3NT with a !D stopper.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 09:35:50 PM by Masse24 »
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

blubayou

• IACAdmins
  • lifelong director [1977-2010] and haunter of ACBL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2021, 03:19:11 PM »
for A:  All kind of 10-point IN THE BLACK SUITS dummies will give us a nice play for game so 3 spades seems in order. But I don't get actually ending in 4 spades which will instantly become a 3-3 fit, eh? If i get raised,  will I come to my senses and revert to clubs?  sure I will.   "3 spades will not get partner to fall in love with
  Kx, Qxx, xxx, KQxxx but we can't help that :(
   P.S>  Joe's post below raises the troubling question "WOULD partner invite-cue  with such nice 10-counts -- and WOULD WE be allowed to table Coyote's Rule,  and sign off in 4 Clubs with this or some slightly lesser hand? Or does it take "openers"  to respond 3 Diamonds, with clubs as our home suit?

PROBLEM B:>> Partner has   X, Kxxxx, AKxx, Jxx.  Why not?   So we Blackwood to 6  Clubs, or just go for it whether she has the diamond ace or not.   After all,  IF the spades cannot be shut out, we beat the 3NT declarers anyway, whether making or down one.                -- 6C --

PROBLEM C:>> BWS2017 uses XYNotrump, so we could try 1S, then pull 1NT to 3 Clubs,  which is SUPRIZINGLY NOT DEFINED!  (Somebody show me what i missed please!), but likely will be interpreted as 'drop-dead'.  The trouble with this plan is how unlikely that "(pass) 1NT (pass) " continuation is.  The non-vul opps are there, and pard is odds on to be rebidding something red, anyway.   
                                                      Back to reality:         -- 3C --

PROBLEM D:>>  This is not a hand for "double first, then go fishing".  Get it over with ASAP.
                                                                                    -- 2NT --
PROBLEM E:>>  My lead?  Jack of Hearts.                       (--Pass--)

PROBLEM F:>>  Cue-invite in Diamonds? But we smell a rat, don't we?
                                                                                        -- 2S --

PROBLEM G:>>  We have to trust partner to be the genius on this one.  I Kenberged a few really routine deals that fit these conditions, and mostly getting a plus out of defending 3 Diamonds took some peeking, but raising partner in hearts now, is just brilliant guessing,  and raising spades results in getting tapped out.  And that leaves passing,  sorrowfully.                                  -- Don't Know :-[ --                                                                   
PROBLEM H:>>  They are stopping in six because they have 5 aces, but missing the trump queen.  So will we HAVE the 2nd round in one red suit to set up and score before they get trump cleared?  Or does partner have the club queen that I almost finessed him out of?   QJ-low-low-low  has a bad reputation for being a safe exit,  but safe exit is what I want,  and that's my choice -- another 60 for problem H?
                                                                                    -- HQ --[size=78%]   [/size]
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 04:37:30 AM by blubayou »
often it is better to beg forgiveness, than ask permission

yleexotee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2021, 04:41:48 AM »
The rare early thoughts for me:
A. Pass in real life, possibly 4c for MSC but doubtful because pard did not bid 3D with a good club raise, so I don't think we have all that much and don't want to be at the 4 level. 3s is palatable and lower level so I like the thinking.
B. X and letting p decide on pulling to 3nt (because x surely means I have spades, but not a great fit for hearts or diamonds). I think we might have a good score after my QD lead.3nt direct instead of torturing p is another way to go.
C. 1S. I can't bring myself to take the hint and bail on the spades completely. But taking the hint in this game always works, so.....and the spades are bad so....
D.  D and D5  my thoughts same as JC
E. Pass
F. 2S - taking the first hint and going with diamond raise, already 8+ fit why go hunting for other things, and frankly I want to take away what looks to be the ops spade fit bidding.
G. 3S - I think this might be overly aggressive, but surely p wont take me for anything more because of the initial 3s. KQ are almost 3 spades.
H. 5c, they are missing a ace, and if its club ace, they are down immediately, and no guarantee I will get that Q of trump

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2021, 04:38:25 PM »
H. 5c, they are missing a ace, and if its club ace, they are down immediately, and no guarantee I will get that Q of trump

No, they are missing the trump Q.

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2021, 04:59:00 PM »
MAY GUESSES - (all preliminary):

PROBLEM A: 3 !S. Although partner has denied a major, I am willing to offer a Moysian fit in !S as our strain. We're vulnerable, and it's IMPs. In addition to offering spades as a strain, this keeps alive the possibility of partner bidding 3NT with a !D stopper.

PROBLEM B: 3NT. Hamman.

PROBLEM C: 1 !S. Ugly. Just plain ugly. A switch from my first approach of 1NT. But the panel will say that would be masterminding. So I pray for something good to happen. Truly ugly.

PROBLEM D: B (An immediate 2NT). An immediate 2NT is also possible. But this is IMPs. Decided to go low.

PROBLEM E: Pass. Maybe 3NT is right? I dunno.

PROBLEM F: 2 !C. Later supporting !D at a low level. 2 !D also in the running.

PROBLEM G: 3 !S. No particular reason other than today is Wednesday. Maybe Pass, which is my "at the table" choice.

PROBLEM H: !H J. Partner has nothing. Partner knows it. I know it. But declarer does not know it. If declarer has the !H T (or even partner), and no shortness in the heart suit, might this look like a shortness lead? If so, would he be more inclined to play the trump suit for a drop of the Queen? I don’t know, but I sure do hate lead problems! This is my "woop-woop" out there choice.
The !C 5 will be the popular solver choice--almost automatic--as it is safe and (hopefully) gives nothing away. I would choose it at the table.

SOLUTIONS FOR:
Todd Holes
460 Raintree CT Unit # 1R
Glen Ellyn IL 60137
U.S.A.

PROBLEM A: 3 Spades
PROBLEM B: 3 Notrump
PROBLEM C: 1 Spade
PROBLEM D: (b)
PROBLEM E: Pass
PROBLEM F: 2 Clubs
PROBLEM G: 3 Spades
PROBLEM H: Heart Jack
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 12:37:42 PM by Masse24 »

blubayou

• IACAdmins
  • lifelong director [1977-2010] and haunter of ACBL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2021, 05:01:34 AM »
SOLUTIONS FOR:]Jock McQuade,  3 Bag End, [Hobbiton OR 97030 U.S.A
PROBLEM A: 3 Spades        --Leaving in 3NT probably not.
PROBLEM B: 6 Clubs          --Hope the club finesse is offside, and we make this anyway.
PROBLEM C: 1 Notrump    --forget spades, and forget invitational also

PROBLEM D: (b)                  --"(b)" means overcall 2NT.
PROBLEM E: Pass               
PROBLEM F: 2 Spades        --2nd choice Neg. Db.? (Will nobody mention the  chance to become dummy to some heart contract??)
PROBLEM G: Pass               --I both do, and do not hope to hear 3H. Would  we GO,  vul at imps?
PROBLEM H: Heart Jack   --lead problem:   opps MUST have 31  (12 blah facing 19)   even the club JACK  with         partner is too much to count on .   the only hope is opps run out of gas  after 4 trump winners, AK,A in          the reds, and --lucky us-- only FOUR?! clubs.  So the lying  heart JACK lead  is called for.  Todd's idea    above  all the way for me.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 06:40:13 PM by blubayou »
often it is better to beg forgiveness, than ask permission

bAbsG

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2021, 10:22:48 PM »

SOLVER: Babs Giesbrecht
       Qualicum Beach BC
       Canada

Your Solutions for the May 2021 Contest 
-------------------
PROBLEM A: 4 Clubs
PROBLEM D: (d5)
PROBLEM E: 3 Notrump
PROBLEM F: 2 Spades
PROBLEM G: 3 Spades
PROBLEM H: Club 5

peuco

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2021, 05:17:03 PM »
SOLUTIONS FOR:

PROBLEM A: 4 Clubs
PROBLEM C: 1 Spade never bypass spades with a 5 carder
PROBLEM E: Pass same as G
PROBLEM F: 2 Clubs Ds too poor to push an invite via 2S
PROBLEM G: Double f you do not suffer a X contract your are doubling too few
PROBLEM H: Heart Jack very unlikely p has an Ace with my 9 HCP vs probable at least 26

peuco

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2021, 05:25:40 PM »
Problem C: if p bids 2D i rebid 2S

hoki

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2021, 11:00:02 AM »
PROBLEM A: 3 Spades, influenced by comments on this forum
PROBLEM B: 5 Clubs, if it fails it will go down less than 3NT
PROBLEM C: 1 Spade, hate to lose the spade suit which all other actions risk doing
PROBLEM D: (b), but maybe influenced by the knowledge that partner will bid 2♠ over double
PROBLEM E: 4 Clubs, 3NT gives up on slam
PROBLEM F: 2 Clubs, about as natural as we can get
PROBLEM G: 3 Spades, but I would play double as responsive which would handle this situation perfectly
PROBLEM H: Heart Queen, like Todd says what do I know about leads?

FleuretteD

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2021, 03:56:25 PM »
hi   FleuretteD

PROBLEM A: 4 !C
PROBLEM C: 1 Spade (scary but more descriptive of my hand)
PROBLEM D: (d3)
PROBLEM E: pass
PROBLEM F: 2!C
PROBLEM G: pass but I came close to X as we dont have fit so they have some cards in my partner's suit.
PROBLEM H: !C5

thornbury

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2021, 04:54:18 PM »
PROBLEM A: 5 Clubs
PROBLEM B: 6 Clubs
PROBLEM E: 3 Notrump
PROBLEM F: 2 Spades
PROBLEM G: Double