Author Topic: 2021 April MSC  (Read 11355 times)

blubayou

• IACAdmins
  • lifelong director [1977-2010] and haunter of ACBL
    • View Profile
Re: 2021 April MSC
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2021, 12:30:30 AM »

!S Axx(??)                     
                            !H ATx
                            !D Txxx(??)
 !S KQxx                !C J                          !S Jxx
 !H Kxxx                                                !H Qxx
 !D Axx                                                  !D KQJx
 !C 8x                                                   !C A9x                   
                           !S  x(??)
                           !H J9x               
                           !D (??)
                            !C KQTxxxx

Here is a little nightmare layout for those of us who are leaving west's (NORTH'S-- sorry)  neg. double in.  Six clubs and three majors for Mr. 3-clubs no problem. AND  partner has a perfect 11-count for his double.  AND we get 3+1+4+1=9 in Notrump.  This alone is changing my mind about going for the set but will it be changed to 3NT,  or 3 Hearts, hoping for 5 in dummy, else only 2-3 but 5 spades to correct to?  The contest is Board-a-match and if the enemy knows the game, west will have more than the usual respect for the 500-rule, so giving him a good 7-bagger is more likely than is typical these days.

RE:
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 03:30:20 AM by blubayou »
often it is better to beg forgiveness, than ask permission

DickHy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2021, 01:27:37 PM »
Late this month, but still as dodgy:

A) 3N.  Partner should have 10/11 (+) HCP for a negative double at the 3-level, and they all figure to be outside clubs.  What are the chances of us making 3N?  We have to hope the pre-emptor doesn’t have the diamond ace.  Perhaps that’s reasonable given the vulnerability?  We will need 5 major suit tricks if partner does not have the diamond ace.  In that case his HCP will be split between the majors; AQxx(x) and AJxx(x) say.  But if partner has that minimum we could well lose 5 tricks (2 major suit kings, two clubs and the diamond ace).  With that same minimum hand can we take 5 tricks against 3Cx?  We’re unlikely to get two tricks in both majors alongside the trump ace (unless West is 3316, and partner is exactly 44 in the majors).  I might be bidding 3N to avoid the risk of 3Cx making when partner is minimum, knowing that if he is not, I’ll be scoring 400 against 300.

B) 4C.  Partner has at most two hearts but with a 18/19 HCP hand, a variety of games seem possible including 3N – if partner has KJx KQ AQxx(x) Axx(x).  However, with that sort of hand partner would have bid 2N over 1S.  So, I guess we’re aiming at a minor suit.  I’ve got the space to show my clubs, so why not?  Partner could be 44 in the minors (xxx AK AQJx Axxx) rather than holding 5+ diamonds.  What would 4S be from me here – equal length minors, confusion for everyone?

C) Pass.  I would expect both majors from partner probably (45)31 or 4441.   One problem with 3N is that the missing high cards are likely to be over partner.  One problem with 3S is that partner may pass (?) and leave us with a measly 140.  Maybe it’s time for the axe for 200.

D) Pass. I seem to be considering an awful lot of passes for an MSC bidding quiz!  West figures to have big hand and this feels a little like a trap.  I can offer a trick – two on a non-trump lead, with perhaps a club too.   

E) 5H.  Partner’s 4D suggests equal length majors and East’s x of 4D suggests partner is void in the suit, so maybe 4405 or (much more excitingly) 5503.  4H from me is a woeful underbid.  Do I pass and let partner set trumps, and then leap into slam action and what would 4N from me mean?  If partner is 4405 we’d prefer a heart slam to a club slam, so I could get us going in that direction with 5H – which maybe has the message of “bid 6H if your hearts are Qxxx and not xxxx.”  Maybe a straight 6H is better than that.

F)  No/5D.  I had to do something over 3H, and 3S probably struck me as too weak, but why not 4D which gives a better view of the hand?  4H also has virtues.  There’s no doubt that the double has woken up partner.  With two spades would he have bid 3S?  I can’t criticise partner over the 4N – it’s about as clear as some of my bids.  My t/o double might be inferred to show 4144, so partner might be asking about minors in which case 5D might correct the faulty picture.   

G) 3S.  Having been told off for obscuring my long spades on F with the co-operative double instead of bidding 4D, I can hardly repeat the mistake (at least not so soon).  Sure, the spades are patchy and who knows how useful the heart queen will be, but this feels right.

H)  CT. Maybe the reason I struggle with lead problems is that by the time I get here, my brain is asking for a rest or drugs.  Let’s put the lead question as Problem A from now on!  Partner looks to have 4 spades, but he might also have just one honour there (the K).  So let’s not kill that straightaway.         

hoki

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2021, 03:37:20 AM »
PROBLEM A: 3. Partner’s most likely hand imvho has five cards in one of the majors and ten points – so I rejected my first choice of a very aggressive 3NT and went low. Plus 100 from 3♣ doubled is going to lose against plus 140 in three of a major and that’s what we need to win the board.

PROBLEM B: Yes, 4♣ initially and didn’t change it since partner can always retreat to diamonds.

PROBLEM C: 3NT – since I do have two stoppers in clubs. Many advocate passing but plus 200, even plus 500, is not as good as plus 600. And partner’s double is in the direct seat, not the balancing seat.

PROBLEM D: 2♣ gets both suits into play; 2 was my first choice but that would only be “right” if I were to come in with 3♣ next round – but if partner can’t do more than bid 2♠ I don’t want to go any higher.

PROBLEM E: Pass. Let’s hear what partner’s cue bid was based on – and if we hear a heart or club bid we can still move towards slam. Pass and then 4 (if partner redoubles) is stronger than an immediate 4.

PROBLEM F: Yes / 5. Tough – my inclination was to bid 6 but the discussion on this thread encouraged me to go low rather than high, but have no logical explanation for that.

PROBLEM G: 3♠. The problem I see with 2♣ is that we may well be playing there is partner has five clubs and K-x of spades with only a minimum hand.

PROBLEM H: I’m dithering between the “standard” ♣10 and the 4 – but never the A which asks partner to unblock from K-x.

blubayou

• IACAdmins
  • lifelong director [1977-2010] and haunter of ACBL
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2021, 11:58:14 AM »
Re:  the lead problem:   For any club leaders, Thornbury has the right idea--keeping all 3 high clubs for later.  the book interior sequence lead only wins when dummy has a (non-stiff) club Jack and pard has K43 etc.. Otherwise we are hardly worse off if we have given trick one away to their club EIGHT than if we have forced the jack--still 3 for them and 4th round stopped. Meanwhile we have avoided  crashing his lone jack or 8 at trick one.  Academic, for me anyway-  I am still enchanted by the heart ace--  hoping for K8xx in dummy and 9xx with partner leaving 2NT opener with Jx (which I will squish at trick two:)  And what fun to drop the stiff king, in 2NT openers hand !  I have hardly ever done one of those.

There are 3 deals with slam possibilities in this set, and I am all in on every one of them.  The 'action-double" deal--#F is going to 6 diamonds, unless pard answers our 5 H  with 5 Spades.  Fortunately, there is not part three quizzing what we will be doing over THAT suprizing development.  The one with 4 lousy hearts + 9 gorgeous points in the minors is headed STRAIGHT for slam in whichever minor Mr. Big rebids.   Hoki opened the can of worms that openers cue, while denying delayed heart support might be about to show a super-max one-bid with FOUR hearts as was true when dinosaurs roamed the earth.  But, again, there is no part-B question about what we will do if that happens, so, passing the cue-bid doubled around is still working.  And for problem E, where we balancing-doubled the 3D opener, I would love for partner to show up with Axxxx, Qx, ---, Qxxxxx or any 3 of those 4 goodies,  rather than a routine "pick your major" hand, for his cuebid reply.  but either way, I am meandering to slam in hearts or clubs depending on her next call.
   Finally,  leaving in the Neg. double on A  is OUT.  +100 will not win the board any more than -470 will, and i have zero prayer of gathering +300.   Thime to follow Edgar Kaplan's best maxim:  "Take our your partners takeout doubles."
SOLUTIONS FOR: Jock McQuade, 3 Bag End Hobbiton OR 97030U.S.A.
PROBLEM A: 3 Notrump             100  ----->80
PROBLEM B: Pass                         100  ----->90
PROBLEM C: Pass                           90  ----->100
PROBLEM D: 2 Diamonds             80  ----->100
PROBLEM E: 5 Diamonds            100  ----->ZERO  (did any of us even MENTION passing??)
PROBLEM F: Yes | 5 Hearts         100  ----->zero  whimper
PROBLEM G: 3 Spades                  100  ----->100
PROBLEM H: Heart Ace                .60   ---->60 :(
                                                             710---->550
>:(
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 06:03:57 PM by blubayou »
often it is better to beg forgiveness, than ask permission

bAbsG

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2021, 04:32:05 PM »
SOLVER: Babs Giesbrecht
       Qualicum Beach BC

Your Solutions for the April 2021 Contest 
-------------------
PROBLEM A: 3 Notrump
PROBLEM B: 4 Clubs
PROBLEM C: Pass
PROBLEM D: 2 Diamonds
PROBLEM E: 5 Hearts
PROBLEM F: Yes | 5 Diamonds
PROBLEM G: 3 Spades
PROBLEM H: Spade 7

msphola

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2021, 06:32:50 PM »
April
a 3n
b.4c
c.4s
d.2d
e. 4h
f. yes, pass
g.3H
h.4h

drac

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2021, 10:04:08 AM »
Wladislaus Dragwlya
Tin Street No.1
Castrum Sex 545400
Romania

PROBLEM B: Pass
PROBLEM C: 3 Spades
PROBLEM D: Pass
PROBLEM E: 4 Notrump
PROBLEM F: Yes | 5 Clubs
PROBLEM G: 2 Diamonds
PROBLEM H: Club 2

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2021, 02:42:39 PM »
SOLVER: Kenneth Berg
        320 Quail Dr
        Sykesville MD 21784
        U.S.A.

Your Solutions for the April 2021 Contest
-------------------
PROBLEM A: Pass
PROBLEM C: 4 Spades
PROBLEM E: 6 Hearts
PROBLEM G: 2 Diamonds
PROBLEM H: Club 2
Ken

peuco

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2021, 05:34:24 PM »
SOLUTIONS FOR:
Francisco Lizana

PROBLEM A: Pass
PROBLEM E: 5 Diamonds
PROBLEM H: Club 10

Curls77

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2021, 07:38:41 PM »
Problem A: 3N
Problem B: 4H
Problem C: 3S
Problem D: Pass
Problem E: 4H
Problem F1: yes // F2: 5D
Problem G: 3S
Problem H: c2

wackojack

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2021, 10:09:55 PM »
Problem A:  3NT
Bidding a major would be wrong.  3NT?  Assuming, East has no more than 3 clubs west has no outside entry then we are likely to make 9 tricks in no trumps. Pass the double is an alternative but 3♣x-1 with 3NT= looks quite possible.  So, I go for 3N.

Problem B: 4 !D
This is so messy.  Partner should be telling and not asking with his first re-bid.  Nevertheless, I have to trust partner is doing the right thing.  So, what have I got to tell partner?  Pass is out because I have 11HCP, 6 more than I might have.  Partner wants me to describe my hand and so passing now to catch up later could lead to misunderstandings and reproach.  3NT is out because I do not have a spade guard.  So, the choice is between 4♣ and 4♦.  I think it is more important to show that I have ♦ support rather than long clubs as at least 4♣s is implied.  I am not happy and I do hope that partner is asking rather than telling for a very good reason.  Let’s hope partner has something like:  ♠xxx, ♥ AK, ♦ AQJxxx, ♣Ax and we roar into the ♦ slam. In fact could partner have anything less?  It is very difficult to see less than a slam now.  Perhaps  ♠Jxx, ♥ KQ, ♦ AQJxxx, ♣Ax.  That is 17 which could have been opened 1NT and was uprated with the very good 6 card ♦ suit.  If we finish in 5♦ let us hope that the ♠ lead in 3NT with South declaring does not give us a ♠ stop and so 11 tricks in no trumps.  Very unlikely. 

Problem C: pass

Give partner ♠ KJ10x,  ♥ QJxx, ♦AKxx,  x  a well fitting 14 and it looks like we would make 4♠ and 3♣x would not go more than 1 off.  OTOH give partner this fitting 13 HCP:  ♠ Axxx, ♥Axxx, ♦ KQxx. ♣ x  and we may not make even 3♠ and yet 3♣ is likely at least 1 off.  I will narrowly go for pass. 

Problem D: 2 !S

2♠ on a doubleton is not ideal but better than bidding a minor because West is very likely to rebid 2♥ over a minor whereas might be shut up if I raise to 2♠. 

Problem E: 5 !D
4♦ by partner says you choose and surely a ♦ shortage.  In the other 3 suits the remaining picture cards are ♠AJ, ♥QJ, ♣QJ = 11 points.  So a small slam is almost certain and a grand if partner has a void in ♦s or A♦s.  What do I find out if I bid 5♦?  Blu’s analysis looks convincing but we would still miss a grand if partner has a ♦ void.  I don’t think I have got a mechanism to find out if partner has a ♦ void so I will go with 5♦.

Problem F: yes/ 6 !D

(F1) Do you agree with the double [BWS: cooperative-takeout]? (yes|no)
Yes given partner’s failure to make a support double ’s I echo what Blu said. 

(F2) What call do you make?
4NT must be saying “choose a minor” so do I bid 5♦ or 6♦?  Could partner have ♠x, ♥xxx, ♦AQJx, ♣AQJxx.  Yes.  Or could partner have ♠ x, ♥ Kxx, ♦ AQJx, ♣ QJ10xx?  Yes perhaps.  Or perhaps bid 3N here.  This is a tough one.  My gut feeling is that partner is more likely to have 2 aces than 1 ace when she bids 4NT.  So I go for 6♦

Problem G: 3 !S
Assume no Gazzilli so 3♠. The 7643 tail looks bad and partner with a singleton ♠ may be loth to bid 3N but all other bids are worse.
3♠.

Problem H: 7 !S
I think with only 4 card suits it pays to be passive.  So 7♠.  Yes partner may well have ♠ Hxxx but likely would get it finessed anyway.  Alternative is 10♣.  The most I can expect is partner to have 4HCP.  If partner has the J♣ or K♣ then I like a ♣ lead.  OK if I lead a ♠ and declarer reels off 4♠ tricks I have to discard twice 4♥ and when I see dummy I will know which other. I fear being endplayed but to give away a trick on the lead would be worse.

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2021, 12:04:52 AM »
SOLUTIONS FOR:
James Creech
Fredericksburg VA 22407
U.S.A.

PROBLEM A: 3 Notrump - My only change.  I checked BWS understandings, and found that negative doubles are through 3 !S, so I felt an increased responsibility to pull the takeout double.  Since nothing else seemed better, I decided that I would show my stopper and hope for the best.
PROBLEM B: Pass
PROBLEM D: 2 Diamonds
PROBLEM E: 5 Hearts
PROBLEM F: No | 5 Diamonds
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

Veeree

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2021, 02:22:51 AM »
PROBLEM E: 4 Hearts
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 03:03:39 AM by Veeree »

yleexotee

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2021, 06:02:38 AM »
Late to the game and on my second glass of wine...so in other words, how I play most of my bridge! Here are the bids that popped into my head:
A - 3nt - hoping those half stops in my hand will lead to some good finesse of whatever other honor west has
B - 4C - I would like to let partner know I have a good side suit besides hearts
C - 4S - Rule of 9 says to pass here, but even two down is a bad score in Matchpoints. as I write this, it occurs to me 3nt might score even better. might need to think more on this one
D - 2D - taking the hints
E - 5H - because 4h just doesn't tell the story of that hand at all. east's X doesn't make sense to me, they should just bid 5d, only thing that gives me pause
F - yes, 5D. Very difficult to make sense of that 4nt bid. Can't be BW in spades, although maybe partner wants to know if I have the AK of spades..but what possible hand could they have and pass 2h. yikes.
G - 3D - decided not to go low on this one, and not to bid 3c. This is probably completely wrong as 3C seems more normal if I'm making this a GF hand.
H - probably 7 of spades for me, I'm being influenced by a lot of robot play lately where they don't give up anything on their leads.

yleexotee

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2021, 06:17:20 AM »
Late to the game and on my second glass of wine...so in other words, how I play most of my bridge! Here are the bids that popped into my head:
A - 3nt - hoping those half stops in my hand will lead to some good finesse of whatever other honor west has
B - 4C - I would like to let partner know I have a good side suit besides hearts
C - 4S - Rule of 9 says to pass here, but even two down is a bad score in Matchpoints. as I write this, it occurs to me 3nt might score even better. might need to think more on this one
D - 2D - taking the hints
E - 5H - because 4h just doesn't tell the story of that hand at all. east's X doesn't make sense to me, they should just bid 5d, only thing that gives me pause
F - yes, 5D. Very difficult to make sense of that 4nt bid. Can't be BW in spades, although maybe partner wants to know if I have the AK of spades..but what possible hand could they have and pass 2h. yikes.
G - 3D - decided not to go low on this one, and not to bid 3c. This is probably completely wrong as 3C seems more normal if I'm making this a GF hand.
H - probably 7 of spades for me, I'm being influenced by a lot of robot play lately where they don't give up anything on their leads.
C - I am reconsidering now that I've taken a quick look at other's thoughts too. don't think I can play in 4s, might get the club lead trumped be east and get off to a bad start. I have 2 club stoppers....but they are also club tricks. still I think the math here is to take our NT score, not the X for -2. can we get -3?? not sure enough.
G looks like I'm going too far off the field's bid. if p doesn't have heart though, we might end up in either a bad 3nt or a kooky diamond contract if I don't show the spades. so, I bow to the crowd wisdom on this one.
H - think I'm sticking to 7 of spades, glad wackojack is with me, but I doubt the solvers are going to choose this much.