Author Topic: 2021 April MSC  (Read 11354 times)

Masse24

• View Profile
2021 April MSC
« on: February 15, 2021, 06:52:30 PM »
Contest deadline change: Beginning with the May MSC contest, the deadline for entering solutions will be at the end of the calendar month that is two months prior to the contest month. The deadline for the May MSC contest is March 31 at 11:59 p.m. (ET).

APRIL 2021 MSC

Deadline: MARCH 10 at 9:00 a.m. (ET)

Submit your APRIL MSC responses here: The Bridge World - MASTER SOLVERS CLUB

BWS 2017 System: BWS 2017
BWS 2017 POLLS, CHANGES AND ADDITIONS: BWS 2017 - Polls, Changes, and Additions
  • Bridge World Standard 2017 (BWS or BWS2017) is effective beginning with the January 2017 Master Solvers' Club problems. This page shows (1) the results of the panelist polls that were used to adjust the system; and (2) the changes in and the additions to Bridge World Standard 2001 (BWS2001) that were made.
    In the listings of the questions and answers, an asterisk indicates the BWS2001 agreement; the proportion of the expert votes for each item, rounded to the nearest percent, is shown in brackets.

IAC Forum MSC Scores

« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 07:49:56 PM by Masse24 »
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

blubayou

• IACAdmins
  • lifelong director [1977-2010] and haunter of ACBL
    • View Profile
Re: 2021 April MSC
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2021, 01:18:49 AM »

We have had had success  this winter leaving in doubles of opps' 3-bids without any trump stack, and for now,  problems A and C I will add to that pile.  Problem C seems TOO much to resemble...a recent puzzle that i couldn't locate.
Problem B  seemed like a complete horror until I realized that HEART SUPPORT IS OFF THE TABLE! Somebody tell me that support doubles are used pretty-much regardless of strength, hence partner's big hand includes 0-2 hearts only?.  Therefore, we can concentrate on finding the right strain among Notrump and either of the minors.  Passing Lurker's raise around then making some big bid may work better than a cue or jump right now -- maybe.  { I LIKE this hand, now that I realize we won't be having to play it in hearts)
                                                        ---PASS?--
PROBLEM D:>> It's nice to hear that both "2D" and "3D"  are not forcing (how strange).  Otherwise, we would be stuck with the choice between a single raise and passing.  It almost always happens that when I raise an overcall on Q-x,  partner competes to 3 Spades, thinking he is following the LAW (or fudging by one length-card) and we go down instead of the opps doing so.  So, I am pleased to call my lead,  and come back with 2 Spades later, if the other players don't blow on past that spot.
                                   --- 2 DIAMONDS---
Problem E:>>   One of the more fun problems this month!  Partner has Axxxx, Qxxxx, --, Qxx   or he has Axxxx, Qx, --, Qxxxxx--Doesn't she!?  Returning her cue-bid will smoke out which, after which we will raise 5 Hearts to six,  or convert 5S to 6 Clubs.   Sorry about the grand slam missed, partner:(
                                   --- 5 DIAMONDS ---
PROBLEM F:>>  A second auction that includes opener's failure to give a support double? Given that, our "do something intelligent" double seems just dandy  [ F1 = YES ].  We need Ken to construct a hand for partner a hand that PASSED on round 2 (this is not forcing!!), and now has made a big bid.  She should not have good stuff and 6+ good clubs or she would have a 3C bid earlierHe should not have a Heart Stack, or he would exercise the penalty 'option'.  Maybe he has a fairly sketchy reverse into diamonds?  So far,  I am stuck with this idea. Now I need help to decide whether we're worth 6 Diamonds,  or only five, or give her more chance for her to show twice-delayed Spade support (via 5 Hearts). I really cannot see this 4NT  bidder delivering more than nor less than  the spade king, and both minor Ace-Queens, whatever her distribution turns out to be.--hmmmm
                                  --- F2 - VERY undecided---
PROBLEM G:>>   My glass is half-empty today;  Will rebid as if my HQ is a small card rather than jump-shift in either of those minors.  Somebody talk me out of this plan.  Three days later, I am still seeing loss of a club, a heart, and 2 spades ---if pard is inclined to drop our 3 Spade rebid, so no game-force for me. :(
                                       ---3 Spades --
PROBLEM H:>>   This pile is almost TOO yummy full of defensive tricks!   And partner may well  have a button or two, to boot.  But it will be misery to sluff on the inevitable four rounds of spades after a passive [spade] start.  I can almost taste a crippled  King or Jack in hearts being brought down if i start with the heart ace.   Madness--I know:)
                                       ---Heart ACE--
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 07:20:13 AM by blubayou »
often it is better to beg forgiveness, than ask permission

peuco

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2021, 07:09:30 PM »
First ideas, may change one or two

A. Pass going for a plus better than a partial
B. 4C A good suit worth showing it now
C. Pass same as A.
D. Pass maybe i can show minors later
E. 5D
F. Yes/5D If that 4NT bid is not rkc i change partner
G. 3S but i miss Gazzilli
H. C 10  seems the best shot at not giving a trick

blubayou

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2021, 11:45:46 PM »
It is heartwarming to see Frank liking the return cue-bid on problem E. I feared this was too 'dainty' to attract much attention, but I hope not.
   On the other hand, concerning PROBLEM F... deciding partner, who left opps in 2 Hearts one round ago, now hauling out 'Old Black' now that we show approximately an opening bid  is more shocking than the rather shocking interpretation that has first occurred to me, and that I am still hanging on to.  Somebody give a thought, please, to what strength is good for the "action double" we made on round two -- assuming you agree with that double [Is this fairly normal, leaving out the excellent spade suit, or have we extras to bid, in a non-spade direction?]
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 11:51:15 PM by blubayou »

ccr3

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2021, 02:33:29 AM »
I think F 4nt is choose your minor. Regardless of whether it's Blackwood or UN NT, Diamonds is safe no matter which way you go.

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2021, 10:46:34 PM »
Problem F: I confess that the X would never occur to me but I think it is a good idea, trusting that it will be taken as showing a good hand.
n has denied holding three spades so presumably he would, over the X, now bid 3S if he held two.

So how about giving N a 1=3=4=5 shape?

Give him a decent hand. At the time he passed 2H he has heard his partner bid 1S after 1C-Pass. So as far as he knows, partner could have a six count.  So he passes. Now, then, after E bids 3H, S doubles. I guess N can now forget about S having a six count or anything like a six count.

So now what? With N holding the stiff spade K I can see him now bidding 3S but let's say he has the spade deuce. S has forced him to do something and, if he just had a bare opener, he will just try his best. But he could easily have some extra stuff, not enough to bd 3m in either m directly over 2H, but enough for game after partner has made this strength showing double.

Which game should they go for? N decides to ask South's opinion:  4NT

Maybe S's biggest problem is are they cold for a slam. Take it cool, man. 5D.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 12:18:16 PM by kenberg »
Ken

blubayou

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2021, 02:01:23 PM »
PROBLEM F, Phase Two:>>  I don't get how partner can launch into Blackwood at this point into the auction (maybe she has 4+ fat diamonds and, logically, trusts our double will include 4 of them?) , but if that is her plan, then my TWO minor kings will justify a 2-aces reply.  I.E.  5 !H .   Since that is my favored bid now anyway,  5  !H  it shall be!  It's lucky the bridge world doesn't create 3-part quiz problems,  so I don't have to decide what comes next if 5H gets "5 !S " from her. ;) 
                                            ----  F:  Yes/ 5 Hearts ---

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2021, 07:02:40 PM »
PROBLEM F: Yes / 5 !D

The first half of this two-parter asks if we agree with the double. Do we? I’ll go with the “Yes” option.

4NT is not Blackwood. And it’s not an invite, since with that hand (18-19 or so) partner rebids 2NT over 2 !H. (I find it difficult to picture a hand that passed 2 !H with some 1=3=4=5 that now upgrades to a quantitative jump to 4NT.) Partner obviously does not have three spades since there was no support double. Could he have two spades? Possibly. But with two little ones he would not bother to tell us at the four level. It’s also unlikely he has !S Kx since he might very well show the honor doubleton having first denied three.

So 4NT is minors, longer clubs, you pick partner. Something like 0=2=5=6.

I’ll go low with 5 !D.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 02:50:48 PM by Masse24 »
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2021, 04:01:59 AM »
April guesses:

PROBLEM A: Pass. Crapshoot. I see three perfectly viable choices. I am usually a strong advocate for Hamman's Rule, so this Pass is extremely uncomfortable.
PROBLEM B: 4 !D. Support partner. Change from my initial 4 !C. Partner has all sorts of ways to support hearts. Attempting to do so with 2 !S would be rare. I think the popular solver choice will be the "bid what you have" 4 !C. But in an attempt to "see" into partner's hand--I'm thinking he has a one-suiter in diamonds. So although a pass allows him more room to tell me that, and 4 !C is certainly "showing" my suit, 4 !D is telling partner that indeed I do have support.
PROBLEM C: Pass. Difficult problem, but Pass will be popular.
PROBLEM D: 2 !D. Suit development of the minors will be slow in !S. As others have mentioned, I can mention my doubleton !S later if given the opportunity. That this is IMPs is an important factor in "bidding something." At MP, I pass.
PROBLEM E: 5 !H. This hand—“got their suit controlled?”
PROBLEM F: Yes / 5 !D. Rationale above.
PROBLEM G: 2 !C. Just shy of a jump-shift. The choices are, I think, 3 !S (what I would have done three years ago), 3 !D, 3 !C, and I suppose a jump-shift. I think the suit quality to be too poor for 3 !S, a sentiment I hope the panel agrees with. I can see the allure of 2 !D due to the suit quality, but 2 !C is where I'm hoping the panel goes.
PROBLEM H: !S 7. This was my out-of-the-box first instinct, and what I believe will be the popular solver choice. Which is why I initially changed to the !C T. The !S 7  is the "safe" lead. I still hate lead problems.

SOLUTIONS FOR:
Todd Holes
460 Raintree CT Unit # 1R
Glen Ellyn IL 60137
U.S.A.

PROBLEM A: Pass
PROBLEM B: 4 Diamonds
PROBLEM C: Pass
PROBLEM D: 2 Diamonds
PROBLEM E: 5 Hearts
PROBLEM F: Yes | 5 Diamonds
PROBLEM G: 2 Clubs
PROBLEM H: Spade 7
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 01:34:36 PM by Masse24 »

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2021, 05:14:42 PM »
Initial toiughts.

PROBLEM A: Pass. i have my bids.  I don't have anything else to say.  If partner wants to punish, I'll take the plus and hope it is enough.

PROBLEM B: Pass.  Partner put on the game force, and my primary responsibility was to keep the auction open.  Should I bid the clubs?  Maybe, but partner needs to clarify the cue.  If he wants to take a piece of 3 !S, I will pass; otherwise I listen.

PROBLEM C: Pass.  This should beat the partscore contracts, and may lose to game contracts (which may not always make).  I will go for the plus results.

PROBLEM D: 2 !D,  Let's go with the clue and bid one of my minors.  2 !D is a bit of a lead director, and I can always go back to support spades if it goes 2 !H back to me.

PROBLEM E: 5 !H. Partner is asking about my suit, but has no clue about my strength.  My problem is the opponent's suit; this should ask for a control.

PROBLEM F: Yes / 5 !D. What is 4NT?  I think it asks for a choice in the minors, so I will choose.

PROBLEM G: 3 !S.  I am not sure whether to over or underbid here.  I am the uncertainty of the stiff Q !H from a jump shift.  I am afraid of two of a minor or 3 !S being passed out when game is on.  I do not want to unilaterally bid 3NT or 4 !S.  I also do not want to manufacture a jump shift into a three-card suit.  I think 3 !S is the slight underbid I will make, and leave my slight overbid of 3NT on the shelf.

PROBLEM H: !S 7.  The majors are in front of me, while the minors behind, so I will try hitting partner's length and go passive.
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2021, 07:34:50 PM »

PROBLEM B: Pass.  Partner put on the game force, and my primary responsibility was to keep the auction open.  Should I bid the clubs?  Maybe, but partner needs to clarify the cue.  If he wants to take a piece of 3 !S, I will pass; otherwise I listen.

Really a tough one, at least for me. We're in a force, so I can pass. But does bidding something over 3 !S imply more than pass does? Or does it simply say, I will wait for you to clarify (usually long diamonds on this auction). This is my question and the one I'm sure the panel will cover for us.

More think required!  ;D

ccr3

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2021, 03:06:58 AM »
Problem A: Pass        Close but hope to cash in for the reward.
Problem B: 4 C          Patner has no idea if I have anything more than 6 pts. Didn't finish describing my hand.
Problem C: Pass         Hope again to pick up the marbles. No where to go.
Problem D: 2D           If this is a trap, I fell for it hook, line and sinker. If it weren't for the foot note I'd bid 2 S.
Problem E:  5D          5D. Does my partner have spades and clubs?
Problem F:  Yes, 5D    Very comfortable thinking this is unusual NT, name my better minor.
Problem G: 3S           No problem here. Dismiss the H queen, 17 pts, what I would do at the table.
Problem H:  C 10       No hesitation here. Least likely to lose a trick.   
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 02:48:06 AM by ccr3 »

peuco

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2021, 09:51:07 PM »
Problem F. To all those who think that 4NT asks for a minor. Why does North simply not bid D, 4 or 5 to show his suit? I think Jock has a point in showing 2 KCs

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2021, 02:44:01 AM »
Problem F. To all those who think that 4NT asks for a minor. Why does North simply not bid D, 4 or 5 to show his suit?

Because:
  • He has a weak 5=6 hand,
  • 4 !D could be passed,
  • 5 !D bypasses 5 !C, which is quite possibly the best resting place,
  • It is my value showing double that gives partner the permission to show the !D suit he could not previously show at the three-level.

Maybe . . . !S -- !H xx -- !D AQ652 -- !C A98732 ?
At least that is how I interpret this auction. But we'll find out in a week!  :)

So slam is possible. I'm just not brave enough to go hunting for it.

thornbury

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2021, 02:25:46 PM »

PROBLEM A: 3 Notrump
PROBLEM B: Pass
PROBLEM C: Pass
PROBLEM D: Pass
PROBLEM E: 6 Hearts
PROBLEM F: Yes | 5 Diamonds
PROBLEM G: 3 Spades
PROBLEM H: Club 2