Author Topic: 2021 March MSC  (Read 12233 times)

Masse24

• View Profile
Re: 2021 March MSC
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2021, 09:14:21 PM »
PROBLEM C:

Holding:
!S AQJT8 --- !H A9 ---  !D T5 --- !C 9843

Suppose we do bid 3 !C (also where I am going). The auction continues -
1 !H - (P) - 1 !S - (P)
2 !D - (P) - 3 !C - (P)
3 !D - (P) -  ??

Lot's of 3 !C bidders. Just playing devil's advocate here . . .

Now what?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 09:17:29 PM by Masse24 »
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2021, 11:49:59 AM »
Problem A
A word about the BWS meaning of 2♣ and 2♠.  If 2♠ is a cue, then what do you bid with 4+♠?  Presumably a double is for penalties and not a type of responsive double. I note Blu’s says that in his view 2♠ should be natural is not a cue. 

(1 !C) - X - (1 !S) - X
I like to play this as responsive. I know Larry Cohen does too, employing the "no penalty doubles at the one or two level theory." But he recommends a partnership discuss this as it is not universal. But I checked BWS. It is indeed played as penalty!

(1 !C) - P - (1 !S) - 2 !S
I think we all play this as natural. Something along the lines of a good six-card suit.

(1 !C) - X - (1 !S) - 2 !S
2 !S natural? I suppose because it is rare, and the specialized meaning of the cuebid as a "suit-agreement or game" bid had more use. The double opened up that possibility for us.

Still thinking about Problem A (which has many viable choices) and H (I hate lead problems). The rest I have settled on.
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2021, 01:17:19 PM »
Problem A
A word about the BWS meaning of 2♣ and 2♠.  If 2♠ is a cue, then what do you bid with 4+♠?  Presumably a double is for penalties and not a type of responsive double. I note Blu’s says that in his view 2♠ should be natural is not a cue. 

(1 !C) - X - (1 !S) - X
I like to play this as responsive. I know Larry Cohen does too, employing the "no penalty doubles at the one or two level theory." But he recommends a partnership discuss this as it is not universal. But I checked BWS. It is indeed played as penalty!

I think we all play this as natural. Something along the lines of a good six-card suit.

(1 !C) - X - (1 !S) - 2 !S
2 !S natural? I suppose because it is rare, and the specialized meaning of the cuebid as a "suit-agreement or game" bid had more use. The double opened up that possibility for us.

Still thinking about Problem A (which has many viable choices) and H (I hate lead problems). The rest I have settled on.

I have seen the following: (1 !C) - X - (1 !S) - X  shows four heart, (1 !C) - X - (1 !S) - 2 !H shows five hearts. This can be useful if parner doubled holding only three hearts, and for that matter it can be useful for deciding when to call it quits in a competitive auction.

I have also seen (1 !C) - X - (1 !S) - X  played as "Partner, I was going to happily respond 1 !S to your double until my Rho took my bid away". Perhaps Rho's 1 !S was a psych, perhaps not, but if partner, Rho and I all have spade length I imagine Lho will be pulling to somewhere else,  and we can move forward knowing of our own spade fit but warned that very possibly they are not splitting well. With this understanding of the X, then  (1 !C) - X - (1 !S) - 2 !H  reverts to just being hearts, maybe four, maybe five, but of course I could have passed so 2 !H shows some enthusiasm for playing in hearts.
Ken

wackojack

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2021, 04:15:54 PM »

No we don't.  I play that as showing 6 !H + 4 !D.  (2 !C would show 6 !D +4 !H)   It is true, that here it would have been better the other way round.  However, HR= HR6; LR = LR6  is easy to remember.

Remember the Beatles song "When I'm 64"  So call it the McCartney convention.     

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2021, 04:39:37 PM »

No we don't.  I play that as showing 6 !H + 4 !D.  (2 !C would show 6 !D +4 !H)   It is true, that here it would have been better the other way round.  However, HR= HR6; LR = LR6  is easy to remember.

Remember the Beatles song "When I'm 64"  So call it the McCartney convention.   

Yeah, I worded it poorly. I should have written that it was "expert standard" to play it as natural and not pigeonholed everyone into that method.

I've never heard of McCartney before (the cuebids not the musician!). Hess bids. Some weird variation of Capp. But I never decided to go down that road.

You like 'em?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 04:53:39 PM by Masse24 »

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2021, 07:38:31 PM »
MARCH GUESSES . . .

PROBLEM A: 2 !S.

They have a spade fit, so going low with 2 !H then jumping in diamonds could work.
I think this is a difficult problem (more so than the IAC seems to think) and I expect to see many different answers.

PROBLEM B: 3 !D.

This is the sexy MSC bid. Giving us our only shot at the only game I think we can make—3NT. The question is, will enough of the Bridge World MSC panel agree? Too flat and too little help to make 5 !C. So I see little value in raising clubs to either 4 !C or 5 !C. (Probably.) But partner is jump-rebidding 3 !C without the !C KQT. What else could 3 !D be but a grope for 3NT?

PROBLEM C: 3 !C.

My first instinct was 2NT. With Jack-fourth in clubs this is a unanimous 3 !C. This hand, although only 11 HCP, is one I would open in first seat, a metric I have mentioned previously in determining whether I game-force on close calls. Zia will concur, which is good enough for me. 13.6 K&R.

PROBLEM D: 4NT.

I certainly have the values for this. Maybe partner can suggest another strain.

PROBLEM E: 2 !S.

I can see the viability of 2 !H , but a simple 2 !S can’t be too far wrong. Can it?

PROBLEM F: Pass

What did my first double show? Roughly this hand? Roughly these values? Partner knows this, right? But he did not double. So I pass and hope we defend well.

PROBLEM G: Double

I so much want to bid 6 !C. Partner needs so little for the slam to be good, and that's exactly what he has promised. But they need to be the right cards and there is no guaranteed of that. Although 3 !S is forcing, I do not see much possibility in a !S slam, so concentrate on !C or penalty.

PROBLEM H: !D K.

Not sure which color. Help accepted. Pick: This color --- or --- this color? First guess was the !D. I stayed the course.
Have I mentioned that I hate lead problems?

SOLUTIONS FOR:
Todd Holes
460 Raintree CT Unit # 1R
Glen Ellyn IL 60137
U.S.A.

PROBLEM A: 2 Spades
PROBLEM B: 3 Diamonds
PROBLEM C: 3 Clubs
PROBLEM D: 4 Notrump
PROBLEM E: 2 Spades
PROBLEM F: Pass
PROBLEM H: Diamond King
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 01:54:00 PM by Masse24 »

blubayou

• IACAdmins
  • lifelong director [1977-2010] and haunter of ACBL
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2021, 03:26:23 AM »

(1 !C ) - X - (1 !S ) - 2 !S
....And quoting some wisdom from Kenberg on this point:
   "Perhaps Rho's 1 was a psych, perhaps not, but if partner, Rho and I all have spade length I imagine Lho will be pulling to somewhere else"

Yes--holding good SPADES to double one spade would be a waste of breath unless 4th hand also has OPENER's suit tied up.   That is why I prefer to be able to bid spades over the responder so they can sort out how far to go in that suit (or some third one), when neither I nor partner have much in that suit.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 04:02:58 PM by blubayou »
often it is better to beg forgiveness, than ask permission

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2021, 03:35:57 PM »
Trigger pulled and some second thoughts this time - probably will cost me dearly in the points.
SOLUTIONS FOR:
James Creech
5107 SEWELLS POINTE DR
FREDERICKSBURG VA 22407-9355
U.S.A.

PROBLEM B: 3 Diamonds - I always wanted to move, but anything other than 4/5 !C seemed a lie.  I have been convinced that 3 !D can be treated as a try for 3NT, so I am in.
PROBLEM D: 4 Spades
PROBLEM F: Double
PROBLEM G: Double - My at the table heart will always be an S.J. Simons like 6 !C, but the panel will not make it their majority selection.  I will go with the law, and generally reap a greater reward with a double, than I would get by guessing the right level.
PROBLEM H: Club King
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

DickHy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2021, 04:36:09 PM »
B 3♦
If partner has 7 clubs ♣ AJ9xxxx must have good high cards outside and yet did not rebid 2NT or 3NT.  I reckon he could well have 8 of them.  I think that with 7 or 8 tricks in clubs we could well have 3NT on. And as DickHy observed right siding for 3NT could be crucial.  So, I will go for 3♦.  I will pass 3N or 4♣.   

There it is!

That's what I've been thinking. 3 !D . . . Wondering if I was the only one. But . . . does this imply my !C holding?

I keep intending to post but am constantly pulled away. Too many irons in the fire right now.

I worried too about whether 3 !D would show my club holding.  I'm wondering about making a cue bid to show a good club raise.  I could have bid 2 !H directly over East's 1 !H, but instead passed.  If I bid 3 !H now, surely partner will understand that my promised "good club raise" is simply good clubs?

I suppose I could make a cue bid of 3 !S instead, but 3 !H seems (to me, anyway) much more clear as a "delayed" heart cue bid.

peuco

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2021, 05:48:30 PM »
Hello :)

MSC March
SOLUTIONS FOR: Peuco

PROBLEM A: 5 Diamonds
PROBLEM B: 5 Clubs
PROBLEM C: 3 Spades
PROBLEM D: 4 Spades
PROBLEM E: 2 Hearts
PROBLEM F: 4 Notrump

Thank you

bAbsG

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2021, 06:44:10 PM »
SOLVER: Babs Giesbrecht
       Qualicum Beach BC
       Canada

Your Solutions for the March 2021 Contest 
-------------------
PROBLEM B: 4 Clubs
PROBLEM D: 3 Notrump
PROBLEM E: 2 Hearts

ccr3

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2021, 10:11:42 PM »
Problem A: This could be a powerful playing hand with a double fit. I can see it making 6d, not as much slam in hearts. Need more information: 2S
Problem B: Give partner a chance. I have clubs with him. 4C
Problem C: Better than a limit count. Let's try to right side this hand. Also gives partner a chance to support spades if holding 3.
Problem D: Let's not leave partner in the dark, 4NT
Problem E: Don't really think of any other bid: 2S
Problem F.  I can see three tricks leading the heart K and continuing to partner's A and back for a ruff. Surely he has a trick to add to mine: Dble
Problem G: I'm going for the set: Dble
Problem H: This hand seems to call for a trump to defend against a cross ruff. But too risky. C K

ccr3

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2021, 10:13:16 PM »
SOLVER: Pat McDermott
        8015 Buford Commons
        N. Chesterfield VA 23235
        U.S.A.

Your Solutions for the March 2021 Contest
-------------------
PROBLEM B: 4 Clubs
PROBLEM D: 4 Notrump

Thank you for participating in the Master Solvers Club

yleexotee

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2021, 11:34:38 PM »
A - This is one where I'm going to play the game of MSC answers and take the hint of 2S. However, I believe I would bid something like 3D showing my real suit and taking my chances.
B - Pass. It's MPs, I"m going to stay low and beat those going down in 3nt, and making it up with a couple extras if we make 5c.
C - Very hard time with this one. 3S is the most descriptive bid for me, 3C being GF and I feel that's a touch overboard. if p doesn't have club stopper, what am I doing over  after 3c -3d/3h. p sees
      my 3S, don't they bid 3nt with a club stopper and 1 or 2 spades?. OTOH, I tend to be aggressive and I suspect 3c is my real bid at the table. if Vul IMPs I might go this way. is that ace of h
     enough transportation to get those spades running....oy! 3S
D - 4S. I want to declare the spade control and keep exploring
E - 2S. What else
F - Pass. this is a bit passive, and something tells me I might double in real life, but this is what I"going with. I have 1 trick and maybe the king of h. so p needs two tricks, or 3 if dummy only has 
     one Heart. Ace of H, then probably a club honor and a diamond honor, but are they situated well?
G - Another tough one. I wish I could bid some form of kickback here, so I could ask if we are setup with KQ of clubs. 4H is tempting,and I want p to bid 4S showing the king of spades I suspect
      they have. Again taking theMSC hint that this isn't too weak a bid. p has to have something in spades. KH is coming home, LHO isn't going to lead from AQ so won't get a heart lead, to me its     
      somewhat likely we don't have a heart loser unless we end up in slam where he might take it off the top. 4nt? doesn't help, if p has king of c, they say 5c ad now what, if they don't they say
      5d, and we are toast. if I bid 5c p isn't going to raise so we lose out o 6c....    I think I'm going to diverge from everyone and try 4h, and see if I hear the magic response.
H- KD

Veeree

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2021, 03:48:39 AM »
Hi,
A) 2Sp
B) 4C
C) 3 Sp
D) 4Nt
E) 2Sp
F) Pass