Author Topic: 2021 January - MASTER SOLVERS CLUB  (Read 12429 times)

DickHy

• View Profile
Re: 2021 January - MASTER SOLVERS CLUB
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2020, 12:35:01 AM »
Oh, the New Year.  Many congratulations to those who made the 2019 Honour Roll -- excellent work!

A)  5H.  This is such a nasty situation.  In my (admittedly meagre) experience, 4N shows two 5(+)-card suits.  Chances are slim that p has 5c H (I will leave Ken to tell me exactly what they are) but they are not negligible and if he does we ought to be in 6H.  We might also have 6H if p is 0355.  But I can’t bid 6H because the likelihood is that p is 1255. Nightmare #1: p has a 5c H suit but believes he can’t raise 5H to 6H.  Nightmare #2: He is 1255/2155 so my 5H bid puts him in an uncomfortable position.  I suppose he can bid 5S which I can convert to 5N.  If he is 0166 or 0265, he can bid his 6c m at the 6-level.  I’m damned one way or the other.  Actually, that sentence is five words too long, so 5H. 

B)  1H.  Without looking at anything else, my partners will tell you that this is the sort of hand on which I go totally crazy (as opposed to my default moderate setting).  We’re white, West looks to have about 16 so they could have game.  I want to get in the way … I’m not sure why I’m bothering trying to rationalise this cos I’m gonna bid 1H, even as y’all throw excellent criticisms and chapters on reverses at my head.  We should all be allowed our foibles. 

However … here’s what Bridge World Standard says under B. Choice of Suit, “With a minimum-range five-six hand, open in the higher and shorter suit only when the long suits are adjacent.”  Returning to a point made earlier in the year, if we choose our answers based on predicting what pros will bid (rather than airing our own preferences) should we be opening 1S?

C)  2H/3N.  OK, I’ve not quite settled back to moderately-crazy; the jitterbug in me can see 6H tricks, 1D, and two black suit tricks from partner, just like that.  So, let’s just bang out 3N before someone force-feeds me tranks.  Back in the straitjacket, I’d count 12 working HCP and meekly slip the 2H card onto the bidding-tray.

D)  3S.  I’m with Joe here – partner with 4c S and 5c C and a game-forcing hand will bid 2C first.  I know that’s right ‘cos it’s in the IAC 2/1 spreadsheet, and we need to be loyal.  Of course, GF p with 2335 or 2236 would also bid 2C, but let’s show the 4c S suit – why not, we’ve got the space.

E)  5S/6S.  As Jim and Jock say, 6D might be a successful operation in finding the right major, but the patient will be dead barely after the cutting starts.   They must have the 10 HCP in D between them, and probably E has half of those (KQ at the top of 8, possibly, 9 diamonds). That leaves 9 more and surely W must have almost all of those, perhaps at best (for us) except for a Q.  Does 6S have much of a chance?  Even if I can ruff a H to get them going, I’m still faced with an ugly Kx in C.  Which is where the best case for us comes in and p holds the club Q.  Now the tranks are biting, I’m tempting to bid a sober 5S and hope partner will raise with a Q outside D.   

F)  1S.  I’ve got a nice hand for partner in 2H, offering a couple of club ruffs and a trump honour.  I become much prettier if he has spade support, so let’s show them knowing that 2H is the safe-haven.  Will partner raise S with three-card support?  Can’t see that on BWS.   

G)  QS/HT.  Undecided still.

H)  ST.  Oh, a lead problem that I might not cock up completely.  W is 5(332)* and N has denied a 4c spade suit, suggesting p has 5+ spades and, from the auction, 7 HCP.  However, his spades aren’t that solid because he spurned the chance to overcall 1S – maybe at best KJxxx, then and an outside entry he can tell me about later.  Should I be leading the S8 to show no interest in the suit (a la Eddie Kantar)?  Nah, with KJxxx, partner’s life is much easier if I play the T.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 12:45:47 AM by DickHy »

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2020, 04:29:52 PM »
There might have been times in the past when I have overthought some of these problems. That will not be the excuse this time, I was in a hurry.

Ken Berg

PROBLEM A: 5 Clubs
PROBLEM B: 1 Spade
PROBLEM C: 2 Hearts
PROBLEM D: 3 Hearts
PROBLEM E: 5 Spades
PROBLEM F: 2 Hearts
PROBLEM G: Spade Queen
PROBLEM H: Spade 10
Ken

blubayou

• IACAdmins
  • lifelong director [1977-2010] and haunter of ACBL
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2020, 05:47:43 PM »
The low-ball players may be right on the slam deal (Problem F).   A bit of good luck in the majors probably won't solve the club K-x problem .   Sigh :(
   IN fact,  I hereby  change my  IAC vote to the measly FIVE SPADES.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 10:33:48 PM by blubayou »
often it is better to beg forgiveness, than ask permission

yleexotee

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2020, 06:43:08 PM »
Can anyone confirm that BWS uses the 1nt FORCING, then 2h bid as way to show low point fit hand?  I am wondering if they are only semi forcing

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2020, 07:13:37 PM »
SOLUTIONS FOR:

Todd Holes

Glen Ellyn IL 60137
U.S.A.

PROBLEM A: 5 Hearts
PROBLEM B: 1 Heart
PROBLEM D: 3 Notrump
PROBLEM E: 6 Spades
PROBLEM F: 1 Spade
PROBLEM G: Spade Queen

PROBLEM A: 5 !H
If I wanted to go low, I would bid 5 !D showing the red suits. Partner undoubtedly has the minors. But I have a monster opposite a partner willing to play at the 5 level with potentially very little help. I sure hope it’s partner with the spade void.   
5 !H should show a good hand with length in hearts. If partner has the massive 0=1=6=6 he can pull to 6 of a minor.

PROBLEM B: 1 !H. My best suit.

PROBLEM C: 2 !H. At the table I would always bid this. It bothers me that I am not seeing the problem and the allure of other choices. 3 !H is a mild overbid. 3NT too speculative with that hole in my suit. Going to stick with simple.

PROBLEM D: 3NT. I hate this. 3 !S, however, smells fishy.

PROBLEM E: 6 !S. Another WTP?

PROBLEM F: 1 !S. Going with May 2020 panel. I don’t see how the scoring difference would change my mind.

PROBLEM G: !S Q. I’d like to attack a red suit. But which one? This is safe; maybe partner can chime in with a sign?

PROBLEM H: !S T. The first unanimous MSC lead problem?

« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 07:47:46 PM by Masse24 »
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2020, 07:52:45 PM »
Can anyone confirm that BWS uses the 1nt FORCING, then 2h bid as way to show low point fit hand?  I am wondering if they are only semi forcing

1NT is SEMI-FORCING.

BWS2017: "a one-notrump response is semiforcing (limited to at most game-invitational strength; opener may pass with 5-3-3-2 or 4=5=2=2 and a hand deemed no stronger than 12 high-card points."

"a single raise is moderately constructive (when responding with a weaker fitting hand, bid one notrump planning to rebid two of the major, a sequence that could also show 6-9 HCP and a doubleton fit)."
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 08:09:26 PM by Masse24 »
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

bAbsG

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2020, 09:10:05 PM »
SOLVER: Babs Giesbrecht

Your Solutions for the January 2021 Contest 
-------------------
PROBLEM A: Pass
PROBLEM B: 1 Heart
PROBLEM D: 3 Spades
PROBLEM E: 6 Diamonds
PROBLEM G: Diamond 10

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2020, 09:33:33 PM »
SOLUTIONS FOR:
James Creech
5107 SEWELLS POINTE DR
FREDERICKSBURG VA 22407-9355
U.S.A.

PROBLEM A: 5 Spades
PROBLEM B: Pass
PROBLEM C: 2 Hearts  - I made a  clear error on my initial choice - this makes that correction
PROBLEM D: 3 Spades
PROBLEM E: 6 Spades
PROBLEM G: Diamond 10

Upon review, I still like most of my initial thoughts with one exception.  A clear error that is now changed.
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

Curls77

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2020, 09:35:55 PM »
PROBLEM A: Pass (is this 4N any 2 suit or minors?)
PROBLEM B: 1H
PROBLEM C: 2H
PROBLEM D: 4S
PROBLEM E: 5S (chicken here, but we lose 2 clubs!)
PROBLEM F: 2H
PROBLEM G: dT
PROBLEM H: sT

blubayou

• IACAdmins
  • lifelong director [1977-2010] and haunter of ACBL
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2020, 09:45:45 PM »
The chance of "buying it"  at a poor 1NT bid with our four + pard's twelve is vanishing small,  so I wouldn't bother to research what BWS says about it on this one :) "1NT" may win the 100, though it lost slightly to "1 !S "  this May.
often it is better to beg forgiveness, than ask permission

yleexotee

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2020, 11:43:49 PM »
My thoughts so far:
A 6H - and hoping its partner that is void in spade and not the op

I'm trying to allow my better angels to win me over and not go to 6H. I hate to make a bid I might make with zero points if all I had is hearts. I would be more comfortable with 5H if I truly knew if that meant I had something. Maybe if going low is 5c or 5d ,then 5H is ok.....I'm not going to know what I'm submitting until I do it. 5h or 6h
B 1S - Starting there, don't feel comfortable reversing with this, although my gut says that's the way the panel will call it. so considering 1h

Someone quoted a BWS item that makes my 1S the correct system bid. However, I suspect the panel will do their own thing and 1h. I'm sticking with 1s
C 2H - What else?
D 3S - BUT, can someone confirm that in BWS they would bypass 4 spades and bid 2 clubs to show the GF hand?

going low with 3s, and allowing for our possible 8 card spade fit, or at least half stopper showing so we can get to 3nt. we are in GF so I don't have to decide our strain yet
E 6S - not enough methods for anything else. will p take 6D as pick your major slam, I'm not sure.
F 2S WJS or 1nt (forcing for 2h followup). I think I am going 1nt forcing.
going 1nt, because that's what I would do in real life. but I strongly suspect system and panel will go 1s
G 10H - This one is fun, I first wrote down the 10 of hearts, but I can also see that we might set this hand if p has king of diamonds. so maybe its 10 of diamonds, but I haven't worked out yet if that works for op having AQ of diamonds. think I don't have enough time to set up the diamond. At the table, I would play 10 of hearts, I know in real life I wouldn't have the focus to figure out how the diamonds would play out in tempo.
F 10 of S

yleexotee

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2020, 11:47:59 PM »
I went 5H on the first problem. I decided 6h was too one sided, not letting my p really show what he has.

wackojack

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2020, 12:27:24 AM »
A. Pass
This is a pure guess. 

B!H
I prefer 2 !H the 6 card suit rather than pass and come in with a Michaels

C  2 !H
Tempted to bid 3 !H with this hand worth about 16, but I don't like my 2 doubletons.

D 3 !S
What does partner's double mean?  It must be a waiting bid saying "over to you" So the feature of my hand not expressed is my 4 card spade suit.  So I will bid 3  !S

E  6 !S
It looks unlikely that partner has a  !D trick.  So we want partner to have Q  !H and Q !C.  If partner does not have anything in clubs then I cannot see any right siding unless partner has an unlikely A !D.  Nevertheless since I am an optimist I will bid 6  !S.

F 2 !H
get in there with the known fit it may be your only chance

G Q !S
Partner has 2 !C singleton.  10 !D or Q  !S to stop declarer from getting into dummy to set up clubs?  10  !D looks more dangerous than the Q !S to set up dummy. 

H 10 !S
Time to be passive and this looks least likley to give a trick

wackojack

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2020, 12:34:38 AM »
SOLUTIONS FOR:
Jack Goody
England

PROBLEM A: Pass
PROBLEM B: 2 Hearts