Author Topic: 2021 January - MASTER SOLVERS CLUB  (Read 12436 times)

Masse24

• View Profile
2021 January - MASTER SOLVERS CLUB
« on: November 14, 2020, 12:31:29 PM »
JANUARY 2021 MSC

Deadline: DECEMBER 10 at 9:00 a.m. (ET)

Submit your JANUARY MSC responses here: The Bridge World - MASTER SOLVERS CLUB

BWS 2017 System: BWS 2017
BWS 2017 POLLS, CHANGES AND ADDITIONS: BWS 2017 - Polls, Changes, and Additions
  • Bridge World Standard 2017 (BWS or BWS2017) is effective beginning with the January 2017 Master Solvers' Club problems. This page shows (1) the results of the panelist polls that were used to adjust the system; and (2) the changes in and the additions to Bridge World Standard 2001 (BWS2001) that were made.
    In the listings of the questions and answers, an asterisk indicates the BWS2001 agreement; the proportion of the expert votes for each item, rounded to the nearest percent, is shown in brackets.

IAC Forum MSC Scores

“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

DickHy

• View Profile
Re: 2021 January - MASTER SOLVERS CLUB
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2020, 12:37:24 PM »
An opening sally on G (which is just like the problems Eddie Kantar sets in his wizard books on defence!)

Partner’s C2 can hardly be encouraging – it must be a singleton – so the hand is about keeping declarer from 4 club tricks in dummy.  We can do that if:

a) I lose the second club and take my Ace on the third (as declarer has Jxx);

b) Partner’s 3 HCP are the DK;

c) Declarer does not have AKxx(x) in  !H.  If he does, he can enter dummy via the J by leading one low heart (which I take with my Q), followed by another low one.  It’s ok if he has AKx in  !H: after I play my Q on the x, the J in dummy is worthless.

d) I don’t lead from my heart holding of QT2.

So for us to defeat this, declarer has AK(x, x, x) AKx AQ (x, x, x) Jxx, which (since he will make the DQ – partner will not cover that) adds up to 7 tricks (as I am ceding a C trick)

I’m tempted to lead a low club at T2.  Declarer will win, play a third club which I have to win, but then I can safely exit with the SQ. 

Exiting with the SQ at T2, I think creates a worse tempo for me.  Declarer will put me in with another two rounds of clubs, and then my exit looks much less safe.  I don’t want to lead a  !S from 942 because if declarer’s holding is AKT8, I’m giving him 4 spade tricks, and that’s the contract (4 !S, 2 !H, 2 !D, 1 !C).  I suppose the DT would be ok, though I might worry about AQ8x with declarer.

From this a low club at T2 looks better.  Later, after I have exited with SQ and declarer leads a low  !H, I win that with the Q and return a heart to his (now) AK (stiff).  The C5 at T2 means he has to make all the running in  !S and  !D without any help from me.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 12:47:29 PM by DickHy »

DickHy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2020, 02:44:23 PM »
A postscript:

It's true I can't lead a  !H from QT2 after declarer has knocked out my club winners.  But, how about leading a low  !H before he's done that - say at T2? 

Doesn't that mean I can defeat a declarer who holds AKxx in  !H?   

OK, I'm giving him a third !H trick, so he's up to 8 tricks, but this way I am certain that I can defeat declarer with AKx or AKxx in  !H

So perhaps at T2 I should be leading the HT.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 02:58:59 PM by DickHy »

blubayou

• IACAdmins
  • lifelong director [1977-2010] and haunter of ACBL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2020, 12:36:31 AM »
You rascal, DickH!  I was all comfortable  hoping pard's gotta-be King  was (1:) in spades, WITH the ten or two top middle ones -- for the quick kill)   or (2: in hearts but with nice major spots and 3 diamonds,  so  the thirteener diamond might die.    And you bring up the evil thought that opener may have both major kings and AQ[x,x,x) diamonds:(
   Can we really suffocate him into giving up 5 loosers if h has both major queens (kings)--by giving dummy the diamond jack.  That would be so elegant.   And will take about 2 1/2 weeks to fuss over.  Back to the proverbial salt mine, and Kudos for jumping straight to the meatiest problem in the set, if not the one with the most possible guesses. 8)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 07:51:07 AM by blubayou »
often it is better to beg forgiveness, than ask permission

DickHy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2020, 07:04:10 PM »
I see what you mean, Jock.  If partner’s got KTxx(x) or K87x(x) in  !S, it's imperative we knock out the A to create our 3 (4) spade tricks before I take our second  !C trick.   Declarer might easily have Ax(x, x) AK(x, x) AKQx Jxx which means my idea of leading a low club is fatal. 

So perhaps back to SQ at T2, looking for an encouraging card from partner?

Suppose partner discourages, showing his K is red.  He will be able to tell me which red K he has when discarding on the two rounds of clubs.  If he has the DK we're still alive, and I can exit after two rounds of clubs with the DT.  If he has the HK we're dead unless declarer is blocked from the clubs in dummy with a D holding of exactly AKQ (in which case with AKxx Axx AKQ Jxx, say, he's down anyway - I think). 

Alternately, if partner has K9xx in H, a HT at T2 would work. 

Does this mean we have to choose one of the majors at T2, knowing that if it turns out partner has the DK we still have chances later?  There doesn't seem to be any reason to prefer one over the other, as we can see 5 cards in each suit between our hand and dummy.

Back to more thinking.  My consolation is that at least I now know the C5 at T2 is a bad idea.

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2020, 03:30:51 PM »
Some initial thoughts:

Problem A:  5 !S - The opponents preempted in 4 !S and partner has made a two-suit takeout, and I have two doubletons with 12 HCPs.  If partner can commit to the 5-level with me as a passed hand, I am willing to be in his best suit in slam.  He surely only has at most one spade, I have two rounds of control in hearts and a good honor in one of his suits, time to go slamming.

Problem B: Pass - If the suits were reversed, I'd have no problem preempting in spades and backing in with hearts.  With my length in hearts, I think I will simply back into the auction later or see it go quietly into the night.

Problem C:  Pass - I am torn between bidding 2 !H and passing.  Partner is saying that he has at least one stopper in spades, some values and implies a lack of a heart fit.  My sixth heart may be enough, but it might also be useful in NT.  We also could be down one to making four - where in that spectrum do we belong.  Today, my willingness to risk is not many tricks, but in NT.

Problem D:  3 !S - I presume that the 3 !D overcall is preemptive, but there is no note.  After all, we are in a game forcing auction and they jumped to eat our space.  This does not sound like a penalty double to me today, so I bid my spades.  By the time I make a final decision, I may be ready to pass the double.

Problem E:  6 !S - This feels like a slam despite the opponents doing all of the bidding.  All I need from partner is four points (!C A or the two round queens) and may be gin with just the !H Q if I right side this.  If I try 6 !D to get partner to choose a major, I would wrong side this hand,  so I pick the more secure major.

Problem F:  1 !S - If 2 !S is preemptive, I would prefer that bid.  This hand will be worth so much more in spades than anything else, but if partner rebids 2 !H, I would subside.  2 !H and pass are also possibilities.

Problem G:  !D 10 - I have two reasons to try the diamond shift.  One is that if clubs can be set up, then diamonds may be the outside entry.  The other is partner's card to my lead could be suit preference - then again it could be a singleton.

Problem H: !S 10 - At best, declarer is looking at 7 spades, but may have less.  I have two probable entries, but really no suit to set up myself, I so will try to hit partner, and use one of my entries to continue the spade attack.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 04:56:55 PM by jcreech »
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

blubayou

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2020, 11:17:19 PM »
Enter the mastermind.....
   PROBLEM A:>>   I am not trusting EITHER 5-2 [or6-2] fit to be slamworthy, even if I can ask for preff via a cuebid.  But i WILL bet on 8 fast minors joining my 2 top hearts for a make at 4NT.   PLEASE do not refer me to that note at the bottom saying pard may have one minor plus hearts---we cannot seriously cope with that possibility, can we? (partner' eight "helpers" dont even have to be THAT fast--  just "reachable" )
                                      ---PASS  :-\
   PROBLEM B:>> My family/close friends  convention card opens 4 !C  with this exact hand. Honest!  We had enough of this MSC torture deal 35 years ago!...Since that won't fly for the quizz,  there is nothing in the world to do but wait.  How disgusting.
                                     ---PASS :(

PROBLEM C:>>  I THINK  I want to prevent overcaller from reopening with 2 of a minor. Of course we could leave 1NT alone and bid 2H after advancer leaves his pard there,  but if instead, he goes back to 2S,  I will have left partner out to dry regarding the 6 good hearts.  Same sad situation if overcaller raises himself after my pass.   But frankly,  my first thought was that this is the KING of  "WTP" problems , anyway!   
                                                          ---2Hearts   ???
PROBLEM  D:>>   Partner doesn't need to make MY penalty double for me here,  so I leave his double in, without any case of nerves.   We can examine which vulnerable game we have afterwards , but I see only non-fits except very possibly 6-2 in clubs. Belated add-on:   we have zero interest in spades as a game trump suit  if partner didn't rebid them in this passout position..  so where is our cold game? --Notrump?  Hearts?  Clubs--and if so how do we get THERE? ...take the theoretically infirior plus! :P
                                                          ---PASS
  PROBLEM E:>>   Jim jumped right onto the trap here.   If we force partner to choose our slam suit,  a club is coming out like a shot  through my  foolish dummy,  and $10 will win you $11 we are down right there.
                                                         --- 6 Spades
   PROBLEM  F:>>  The usual objection to changing suit with bad cards but a fit for partner do no apply this time, I am betting.  There will be some noise from LHO, or partner will bid something other than the troubling 1NT, or both. Then we can comfortably give the "misery-preference" lowest level in hearts. If it really DOES go 1H, 1S; 1NT, __?"  be careful to rebid those spades, or apologize when partner takes you for limit raise cards, should you 'correct to hearts".   Anybody in for the constructive major raise today?
                                                         --- 1 Spade
   PROBLEM G:>>   My mind is almost made up  to pray for partner to have the spade king, plus the 10 or 7-6-x.  IF opener has four diamonds we can't lollygag  as we can never shut off dummy's clubs, but must get up 3 spade tricks asap.  If my spade queen goes to opp's ace-king,  there is still the hail-Mary that the diamond jack is not an ENTRY,  but merely a trick then there are some chances left that declarer cannot get to 9 with only one club queen in his bag, but it takes some key spots in pard's hand for this to happen.                                                         --- Spade QUEEN
   PROBLEM H:>>   so sad to weigh in that this is another  "WTP".   spade ten is both passive and constructive.   Who can ask for more   on the road to the podium?

(By the way, those podiums may be pretty high this month--starting with 800s tied for first! )
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 10:11:09 PM by blubayou »

yleexotee

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2020, 05:59:18 PM »
My thoughts so far:
A 6H - and hoping its partner that is void in spade and not the op
B 1S - Starting there, don't feel comfortable reversing with this, although my gut says that's the way the panel will call it. so considering 1h
C 2H - What else?
D 3S - BUT, can someone confirm that in BWS they would bypass 4 spades and bid 2 clubs to show the GF hand?
E 6S - not enough methods for anything else. will p take 6D as pick your major slam, I'm not sure.
F 2S WJS or 1nt (forcing for 2h followup). I think I am going 1nt forcing.
G 10H - This one is fun, I first wrote down the 10 of hearts, but I can also see that we might set this hand if p has king of diamonds. so maybe its 10 of diamonds, but I haven't worked out yet if that works for op having AQ of diamonds. think I don't have enough time to set up the diamond. At the table, I would play 10 of hearts, I know in real life I wouldn't have the focus to figure out how the diamonds would play out in tempo.
F 10 of S

(and yes, I see that Blu and I appear to be playing different hands!)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 06:04:01 PM by yleexotee »

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2020, 12:17:43 AM »

PROBLEM  F:>>  The usual objection to changing suit with bad cards but a fit for partner do no apply this time, I am betting.  There will be some noise from LHO, or partner will bid something other than the troubling 1NT, or both. Then we can comfortably give the "misery-preference" lowest level in hearts. If it really DOES go 1H, 1S; 1NT, __?"  be careful to rebid those spades, or apologize when partner takes you for limit raise cards, should you 'correct to hearts".   Anybody in for the constructive major raise today?
                                                         --- 1 Spade

Bluuuuuuuuuuuu!
Why would partner ever assume "limit raise cards" when you "correct to hearts" in the auction 1 !H - 1 !S - 1NT - 2 !H ??

That sure smells like a very weak three-card raise.

With "limit raise" cards, I usually jump to 3 !H.

Regardless, I agree with responding 1 !S.
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

thornbury

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2020, 04:23:43 AM »

PROBLEM A: 5 Clubs
PROBLEM B: 1 Spade
PROBLEM C: 2 Hearts
PROBLEM D: 3 Spades
PROBLEM E: 5 Spades
PROBLEM F: 2 Hearts
PROBLEM G: Diamond 10
PROBLEM H: Club 2

blubayou

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2020, 09:17:55 AM »

-----Update on bonus-lead problem G:>>
Declarer has C Jxx, 3 aces 2 kings and the diamond queen, equaling 21 count. He might have the 3rd king instead of the third ace for 20,  but the puzzle usually works out to the same analysis, strangely. Today, we study the case where she is missing the DIAMOND king(ace).
   If he has AK?, AK? AQxx, Jxx there is no defense –he will bring in all diamonds and reach the set-up clubs with the D J. If she has TWO diamonds,  then surely(?) 4 hearts, so the only thing that keeps us alive is to get dummy’s heart jack neutralized at trick two.  If he has D AQ8 or AQ2, plus only AKx hearts, giving up the 3rd heart will not go so well though.  He can split out the diamonds and build his one club trick, reaching the thirteener diamond in the process for 2+3+3+1 winners.  In fact he can do this even when HOLDING the feared AKxx hearts UNLESS having only AQ tight in diamonds. So shifting to heart ten at trick 2 saves the day when partner has:  S 10xxx, H 9xxx, K8xx, C x,  PROVIDED he discards brilliantly on the two leads of clubs that are coming very soon.
   When declarer has S AK?? H AKx, D AQx (KQx), C Jxx—the play at trick 2 must be giving the dummy her queen of clubs. This strands the thirteener diamond.  Now we will get 2 clubs, a diamond a heart and at least one spade, unless declarer comes up with the miracle-play of jamming the diamond jack through partner+ throwing us in with 3rd diamond for multiple endplays on my majors (partner failing to have ANY helping spot cards.)
    Only 6 days left to see which of these two plans also caters to partner's solitary king being either of the majors, or will another possibility  show its face?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 10:25:11 PM by blubayou »

blubayou

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2020, 01:20:22 AM »
SOLVER: Jock McQuade,         3180 NW Division st         Gresham OR 97030,         U.S.A.Your Solutions for the January 2021 Contest -----
PROBLEM A: Pass

PROBLEM B: Pass; Some of our IAC royalty throw gasoline on  the RULE OF 20-- then set it alight using an RPG!   not just here in the MSC, but in mentor sessions, too... I say this even as I admitted above that my family opens this one at the 4-level  :>!
PROBLEM C: 2 Hearts

PROBLEM D: Pass
PROBLEM E: 6 Spades
PROBLEM F: 1 Spad
PROBLEM G: Spade Queen:  Ducking a club, and bumping dummy's  !H jack  both have winning layouts but I am going for setting up 3+ tricks RIGHT NOW to go with the club A,K in case declarer has either of the two easy makes we have noticed--if given a breather.
PROBLEM H: Spade 10: :   
Predicting--> 100, 100, 100, 100,  100, 80, unknown, 100,   
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 02:19:26 AM by jcreech »

msphola

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2020, 09:08:50 PM »
A. P
B. 2 !H
C. 2 !H
D. 3 !S
E. 6 !S
F. 1 !S
G. 5 !C
H. 10 !S

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2020, 03:59:52 AM »
PROBLEM F

Matchpoints - Nil Vul.
!S J98642 - !H Q42 - !D – J62 - !C 7

SOUTHWESTNORTHEAST
   —  —   1 !H  Pass
  ??*
What call do you make?

In May of 2020, in the same auction (however at IMPs) holding this:
!S QJT52 - !H 874 - !D T543 - !C 6

The consensus choice was 1 !S, which scored 100.
I chose the less popular 1NT, which scored 90.

Although the scoring is different, I see no reason to buck the rationale of that recent panel. So 1 !S
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 04:15:07 AM by Masse24 »

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2020, 02:40:13 PM »
Great Todd,

One down, seven to go.  At this rate, you will have this set ready for submission by late April or early May.  I remember the days when you were among the first to have some preliminary thoughts to share.  I guess when you make the national list two years in a row, the thoughts can't get past the accolades - lol.
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran