Author Topic: 2020 November - MASTER SOLVERS CLUB  (Read 13670 times)

Masse24

• View Profile
2020 November - MASTER SOLVERS CLUB
« on: September 12, 2020, 02:09:02 AM »
NOVEMBER 2020 MSC

Deadline: OCTOBER 10 at 9:00 a.m. (ET)

Submit your NOVEMBER MSC responses here: The Bridge World - MASTER SOLVERS CLUB

BWS 2017 System: BWS 2017
BWS 2017 POLLS, CHANGES AND ADDITIONS: BWS 2017 - Polls, Changes, and Additions
  • Bridge World Standard 2017 (BWS or BWS2017) is effective beginning with the January 2017 Master Solvers' Club problems. This page shows (1) the results of the panelist polls that were used to adjust the system; and (2) the changes in and the additions to Bridge World Standard 2001 (BWS2001) that were made.
    In the listings of the questions and answers, an asterisk indicates the BWS2001 agreement; the proportion of the expert votes for each item, rounded to the nearest percent, is shown in brackets.

IAC Forum MSC Scores

“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

blubayou

• IACAdmins
  • lifelong director [1977-2010] and haunter of ACBL
    • View Profile
Re: 2020 November - MASTER SOLVERS CLUB
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2020, 03:26:00 AM »

Quote from: blubayou on September 12, 2020, 11:13:15    In violent contrast to last month, and most others,  I have wrapped November up in twelve minutes flat. <sad-face>   Actually,  I can fuss over problem A, C,  and the lead problem   but likely, I will loose points if making either change.   

It didn't take long to realize there is more puzzlement in these questions than implied by that quote above!   All my answers have remained the same after a week's mulling, but the idea that they are mostly one-answer problems  has gone up in smoke.

PROBLEM A:>   Two hearts is the closest bid to forcing that I can imagine that might not BE forcing.  I have given my obligatory nothing-rebid (2 diamonds)  and now what i have left is about the best possible spade holding I can have,  so  that is my re-re-bid.   Don't ask me where I will go when I hear 2NT or 3 Diamonds,  but it MIGHT start with "H".

PROBLEM B:>   3 Hearts ---  ONE-answer problem.

PROBLEM C:>   I am staying with 3 clubs which is non-forcing hence not going to get a lot of vote-support. 3 diamonds also non-forcing is in the same boat. I am against game-forcing  (ie: cue-bid)  and especially  "co-operative/takeout double"!  Co-operative means to me  "might be left in"  which cannot be seriously offered with only one trump.

PROBLEM D:>   DO you dare offer to be dropped in game with 10 guaranteed tricks-- when partner has promised "something, somewhere"?  Do you shoot the works, hoping pard's "somethings" WILL NOT be totally locked away from you?   Sounds like the story of the three bears,  so I am staying with the mama-bear's FIVE spades.   Somebody please discuss  "4 hearts".  From a disapproving point of view, I expect.

PROBLEM E:>   I am sure the BWS panel has this 4D rebid convention buried in their notes somewhere  and that the problem-setter was too embarrassed to put a note about it at the bottom.   4D shows a stretchy game raise with massive diamond suit   No way  the overcall changes this.
  4 Diamonds --  ONE-bid answer. 
{If partner has spade KQxx,  heart Hxxx and busted in clubs,  forcing game by any route won't fly so well.}
PROBLEM F:>  Honor-fifth with partner gives us 8 winners.  Pard has more than this, but does that add up to nine tricks, or somehow ten?   I hope my cuebid   will let partner solve this puzzle,  but am not too confident.                                                  anyway   ---  3 HEARTS

PROBLEM G:>   My lead?   Diamond jack.  Oh  the call is   PASS; (ONE-answer question.)

PROBLEM H:>   yes to pass; leading a trump       <<--- pard would bench me for 'safe exit' of trumps, if his diamond king  was the 800 card!, and dummy were entryless!!           
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 10:15:33 AM by blubayou »
often it is better to beg forgiveness, than ask permission

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2020, 08:33:21 PM »
Initial thought for the November contest:

Problem A:  2NT - Partner has forced me twice and then bid a suit.  Clearly one thing partner wants to know is - am I alive?  With 5 HCPs, I am alive; with a queen and 3 jacks, I am probably on life support.  But what is 2 !H?  Is it a real suit, or a cue bid in support of diamonds?  I don't know, so I think the best move I can make is to try 2NT.  That will show my club stop, says I am alive, but not much since I did not try NT before this.  If nothing else, I am largely out of the way for partner to clarify their bidding.

Problem B:  3 !C - Negative doubles of this type usually have the other minor or a fit for the original minor.  While I am not afraid of the heart Moysian, I think I would like to encourage getting to the right fit.  By bidding clubs, it emphasizes that I truly have diamonds and guarantees that I do not have four hearts.  Whether this actually gets us to the best spot is yet to be seen.

Problem C:  3 !C -  I am torn between making invitational bids such as 3 !C/ !D or forcing with 2 !S.  If I could swap a diamond for a spade, I would be more inclined to try the cooperative double.

Problem D: 4 !S - If things go completely rotten for you on this hand, you can go down two in game; badly, but moderately normal breaks, you will make with nothing useful from partner.  Partner says that they have some values, but are they useful in any fashion?  Three small diamonds and the stiff SK could be enough for the grand to come home, while the CA  and nothing else will be completely worthless unless the opponents lead the suit.  I will bid what I think we can make because there is no way for me to find out what I need to know.

Problem E: 4 !D - 3 !S and 4 !D are picture bids that might be used on this hand - one showing shortness, while the other a source of tricks.  The only reason why I like 3 !S better is that it leaves a bit more room to explore.  But what I really want to know below game is whether partner has good trump - then I would be willing to check on keycards.  Guess I will go with my first thought.

Problem F: 3 !C - Time to compare the back of my cards with the others at the table.  How can I have 18 prime HCPs and everyone else have something to say.  With four spades too, how can I not try for game.  Ok, I also have two possible cue bids that I can make.  I've already shown a stop in hearts, and clubs are cheaper, so I think it is the more appropriate one to bid. I will worry about the next bid after partner has a say.

Problem G:  Pass - I do not think the contract will make, so I am hoping for at least one trick better than we can make ourselves (200 vs. partscore, 500 vs. game). 

Problem H:  3 !S - At last someone has listened to Dick and Todd, a lead problem without, potentially, a lead.  I chose to avoid the lead problem.  The question is whether to jump to show 10 HCPs or not to give partner a bit of leeway for doubling in the balancing seat.  It will be interesting to see if the Panel remembers their thinking from a recent problem set.
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

yleexotee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2020, 06:04:18 PM »
I had a chance to look at these ahead of my usual last second answering. Here are my current thoughts on these:

A. 2nt - Considering pass also. spade and a club stopper, hopefully p isn't counting on my diamond stopper too much.
B. 3H - this is trying to avoid too much of a disaster
C. 2S - I just need something forcing, and I don't mind if this is interpreted as club support. I will likely end up bidding m diamonds again but we basically a Game going hand, possibly in a 5-4 club fit.
D. 6S -This is a problem hand as I feel I need some agreement or system help to really explore. I'm not giving up this 1 loser hand for less than slam when p is showing something more than a minimum.
E. 4H - 3H might be the right bid, but I would be too disappointed not to be in game.
F. This is a problem hand for me as I don't know what 2S is. Is it a transfer to clubs, is it to play like a lebensohl but over 2c interference instead of systems on. why would p trans to club. I think I need some BWS info here.
G. 2nt - I've already denied a 4 card major so hopefully p won't make that mistake, I'm considering bumping this to 3nt.
H. 4S - not much appeals to me at this time.

blubayou

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2020, 02:30:17 PM »
A complete about-face on problem E:    This is not a hand to set up our slam auction--yet.  It is a GAME try!   Partner bid at the one level,  and there is plenty of room for him to have bad hearts + spade face-cards -- then these running diamonds will be too little and much too late.  I considered for a week  changing my game force from 4 diamonds  to 3 spades thinking pard with such a hand might save the day by bidding 3NT,   but if he doesn't have game-accepting values, that probably would cut our losses from 4H down 2+   to 3NT down 1.  there's plenty of time to bid my fool head off if after my mere jump to 3H  if and when he can say 3 spades.  I guess we will be missing a claimer for 12 if he can draw trumps in 3 pulls, so tomorrow, I may find the glass is half full again-- dammit.       anyway,  for now  a measly THREE HEARTS

Partner is going to need a happy-pill to get us to a makeable 4 spades on PROBLEM F.   3rd and 4th hand appear to be sharing the missing 10 points about equally, so the best we can hope fore over there is K-sixth spades, and a diamond picture.  MY heart cue bid is wrong--need to show him the club ace, so he can stop worrying that the killing lead has just been called for. But he will still need to be a real optimist tho go for 4 spades even so.
    THREE CLUBS

My fantasy on PROBLEM G  (PROBLEM H!!, lordie) is that we can hold 3 diamond opener to six  trump winners, plus NOTHING, for +800! Thus I must not pick off my partner's trump winner by leading trumps.   The spade ace should not blow a trick and it sure wont give opp a make if it does. In the real world, dummy isnt dead to declarer or he can manage a seventh trick on his own,  but I am leaving in a takeout double without a shred of trump stack, so if we need to make up for a missed game, I need that 800, by playing everybody for EXACTLY what can make that a possibility.  ---- PASS / SPADE ACE

As for the actual PROBLEM G...Dear DickH,  in the MSC. partner is entitled to have some raggedy mini-Roman for the re-opening double,  and still I am in quest for the elusive minus 180 all the same,  Is it really true that across the pond opener may just hang it up when dealt 11-12 pts and 'perfect pattern'?    And by the way,  Again it is very good to hear from you again, Your unique take on these quizzes makes my day,  especially when you and I stand alone against the world :-*

And  as for PROBLEM E...thanks for providing this quote: "3C is one option.  I prefer 3S if it is certain that it is a splinter bid agreeing H - what else could it be? ".  My partnerships do not play splinter in the remaining suit  after an opposing overcall, but rather a freak 2-suiter,  (maybe 5=?=7=?  here :)) .  yet i am considering it as a way to avoid 4H in favor of 3NT if pard has k732 in that suit (hearts!, not spades!),  hoping pard has not remembered or doesnt, believe.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 10:43:21 PM by blubayou »

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2020, 08:09:18 PM »
PROBLEM E: First I need to decide whether this hand is merely invitational or a game-force. I’m fairly conservative, but even I would nudge this into the “too strong to invite” category, so game-force it is. That leaves me with three ways to get there:

1.   4 !H — A jump straight to game. Why do this? There are other methods that get us to game but are more descriptive. I never make this jump if I have a picture bid available. Never.
2.   3 !S — Splinter. I “see” this first. I love splinters and use them whenever appropriate. They are very descriptive.
3.   4 !D — Should show “good” four-card hearts and a long, strong diamond suit—a picture bid. Okay, my hearts are not as strong as the strict definition of this jump, but the diamond suit certainly is. And that !C A sort of makes up for the dearth of heart strength.

I prefer the way that 4 !D describes the hand more than 3 !S. That massive !D suit is the primary feature of my hand, more so than the stiff !S.

So for now . . . 4 !D.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 08:17:09 PM by Masse24 »
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

thornbury

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2020, 12:05:27 PM »
PROBLEM A: 2 Notrump
PROBLEM B: 3 Hearts
PROBLEM C: Double
PROBLEM D: 6 Spades
PROBLEM E: 4 Hearts
PROBLEM F: 3 Spades
PROBLEM G: 2 Notrump
PROBLEM H: 4 Spades

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2020, 04:56:48 PM »
I have cleaned this up a bit.

Problem A: I will back up the auction:

---    1 !C    X  Pass
1 !D    Pass 2 !C

Partner did not bid 2 !H, not yet.  Now to the auction we are given in the problem. What should we make of first bidding 2 !C and then 2 !H ?
I am going to assume partner has a !H suit. First, an undiscussed artificial 2 !H is a good way to end in a 3-2 fit. Second, I have only two hearts, rho did not bid !H over X and lho did not bid !H over 1 !D. Neither argument is conclusive, but I will assume he has a !H suit and, if he does not, he has some plan.

Still, just what could he have? Let's look at some hands.

!S   Axx 
!H   AKTxxx 
!D   AJ 
!C   Ax 

Holding this, I double 1 !C and then, when partner responds 1 !D, I bid 2 !H. I am willing to bet that the hand belongs in !H, or possibly NT, and I need a little but not much from partner to make 4 !H.

How about
!S   Axx 
!H   AKTx 
!D   AJx 
!C   Axx 

With this, I X over 1 !C and when partner responds 1 !D I rebid 1NT. The hand is too strong for an immediate 1NT overcall, so this seems right.

So just when is it that after my X and partner's 1 !D, I decide to first bid 2 !C and then later bid 2 !H ?

I'm thinking about that, but I am not yet sure. One reasonable interpretation is that I am saying "I have a big hand, I think the hand might belong in !H even though you lack four cards support, but it also might belong elsewhere".

Now back to the South hand to choose a rebid over the 2 !H. I opt for 2NT.

At any rate, I think the interesting question is: Just when does partner first go to 2 !C and then to 2 !H? When would I do it? Not often, I am sure.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 02:05:41 PM by kenberg »
Ken

blubayou

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2020, 07:07:21 PM »
I like:  AKxx, AQTxxx, AQJ,  ---   But then who wouldn't.  A hand that  can well imagine we the partner might have a true yarborough.    ( I did express my doubts that we are even allowed to pass the 2 Hearts call)   After 2 spades,  that hand will give us 3 Diamonds, and I go back to 3 Hearts.   and i imagine he will get the drift of my 2 spade re-rebid and surely not miss game, and may find our way to slam  via, for instance,  4  clubs...5 hearts.   "On life-support, indeed" winkie-face
----added: If we agree I cannot pass 2!H,  then my 4th bid must be a jump, or game bid, as the 2 spade effort will have lost any implications of values in that case
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 12:34:43 AM by blubayou »

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2020, 07:58:50 PM »
I agree, Ken, 2 !H is hearts.

Is it game-forcing? No, not in my opinion.

Is it big? Yes . . . very. But not so big it can unilaterally leap to game.

My construction would be about an Ace or so bigger than what is expected for a "minimum-ish" double-and-correct (what's that --17 or 18?). So partner has in the 21+ to 22+ range. Maybe?

I think Blu came up with a decent construction, though with that hand I would simply bid 1 !H (maybe 2 !H) over the 1 !D advance. I'm sure there are other constructions we could imagine. For example:

!S AKxx - !H AKQxx - !D AQJ - !C
This is a little more in line with the auction thus far.

Additionally, if the takeout-doubler had a hand where the strain (hearts) was not in question, but needed only a whisper of help to make game, then a jump to 3 !H would be in order, saying in effect, "partner, bid game with any excuse." Partner did not do that, so I think strain is still in question.

ADDED:
I'm more convinced that partner's bidding, because of the failure to jump, shows either a five-card suit or broken six-card suit.

The double--cue bid--new suit path should be a one-round force.

As I wrote earlier, strain is still in doubt. I thnk any of 2 !S or 2NT or 3 !H are viable choices. I think 2NT will be the popular solver choice, but 2 !S will be the sexy choice. It can't be four cards (can it?). As of now, I'm leaning toward the safe 2NT.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 03:48:26 PM by Masse24 »

DickHy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2020, 11:39:23 AM »
I'm rather distracted just now, but I feel compelled to enter this month - the quiz effectively ending at G for once.  Some strange thoughts from Europe:

A.  2S.  The HCP seem to be something like W 12 and E 3, so partner has 20.  From his perspective I could have 2 (W 14 and E 4) to 8 (W 12 and E 0); hence his forcing 2C (my 2D looks a bit wimpish in that context).  P is not balanced, however: as Ken said he would have bid 2N not 2H.  So, he could have good H (4540 or 4630) or he could have D and is exploring NT (4450 or 4441) by showing stops in H.  I don’t fancy bidding 2N because if E has Qxx or Kxx in clubs, which is entirely possible, they can reel off the first 5 tricks in 3N.  If partner bids 3H over 2S, I can raise to 4H otherwise it looks as though we’re destined for 5D – at least I won’t have to put my tram tickets on the table for all to see.  5D looks ok although I’d like another entry to play across N twice (once in D and once in S).  I will have to ruff the third H and play a D across him – conceding a S. 

B.  3H.  I’d expect partner to have 8+ HCP to make a negative double at the 2-level.  I’ve got to lie with this response and 3H seems the less culpable than 3m:  any missing H honour is most likely with E.  I’m not strong enough to bid 3S asking for 3N if p has a S stop.  A 2N rebid is intriguing (show a stop in the bidding and you don’t need one in the play – isn’t that a famous quote?), but EW are vulnerable and so opp’s S suit is likely to be pretty sound: AKJxxx.

C.   2S.  If partner has S we’re playing in 3N otherwise 5m, but partner needs to know we’re heading for game somewhere and 2S seems to be the best bid now.  If he doesn’t bid 2N (say he bids 3H) I can bid 4C.

D.   5S.  How many S – 4 or 6?  “Too strong for a double negative” suggests 4 HCP with partner, which on bad days will be KJx in clubs and on red-letter days SK and DJ.  I’d like very much to bid 5S (just so everyone is clear, Humpty Dumpty explains that this means “bid 6S if some of your HCP is in S”).  Can I make 5S if p has x in S and a useless KJx in clubs? – yeah, of course I can.

E.  3S/3C.  How many H – 4 or 6?  Here it depends on the quality of partner’s H, which we can explore with RKC.  But first, I have to agree H in a forcing way.  Bridge World says that “over a simple overcall, a cue-bid shows a raise with game-invitational or greater strength”, so 3C is one option.  I prefer 3S if it is certain that it is a splinter bid agreeing H - what else could it be?  I suppose a direct 4N is another as long as we have an agreement that it is RKC for the last bid suit.  Then again that looks a bit blunt and simpleminded for these august auctioneers.

F.   3S.  Opponents may have only 15 HCP; opener 11 and West 4 with 6 or 7 clubs – they are white.  North has shown willing, and I am max for my 1N overcall, so 3S seems reasonable.   

G.  pass/2N.  EW are vulnerable and we look to have at least 22 HCP.  Is partner likely to have 16 ish and 4441 (say)?   If so what pays better, passing the x for penalty or bidding 2N which does show my hand well and will take us to 3N?  Will we beat 2C by two tricks? 

H.  4S.  Well, here we are with a chance to avoid a lead problem --- how on earth can I pass????  I don’t like 4D as that really ought to show 44 in the majors.  3S smells of shrinking violets – I have no wasted values.  If we’re going to consign the bidding problem to the bin, let’s do so resoundingly.

blubayou

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2020, 12:03:11 AM »

SOLVER: Jock  McQuade        Pine Grove Mills PA        Uganda
..<comment-limit exceeded--   just the raw data here,  per "the boss' >
PROBLEM A: 2 Spades
PROBLEM B: 3 Hearts
PROBLEM C: 3 Clubs
PROBLEM D: 4 Spades
PROBLEM E: 3 Hearts
PROBLEM F: 3 Clubs

PROBLEM G: Pass
PROBLEM H: Pass | Spade Ace
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 02:51:35 AM by blubayou »

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2020, 05:10:38 PM »
I have been thinking bout 4 !H for D. That can't be natural, right?
After the uncontested auction started with 2 !C - 2 !D - 2 !S - 2NT, I had a chance to bid 3 !H but chose 3 !D, and then partner had a chance to bid 3 !H and chose 3NT. So we are not playing in hearts.

I am thinking that if partner bids 4 !S over 4 !H then I can invite 6 !S with a 5 !C bid. If he still declines, then we will play 5 !S.
Ken

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2020, 05:46:22 PM »
I have been thinking bout 4 !H for D. That can't be natural, right?
After the uncontested auction started with 2 !C - 2 !D - 2 !S - 2NT, I had a chance to bid 3 !H but chose 3 !D, and then partner had a chance to bid 3 !H and chose 3NT. So we are not playing in hearts.

I am thinking that if partner bids 4 !S over 4 !H then I can invite 6 !S with a 5 !C bid. If he still declines, then we will play 5 !S.

Right.

Not sure I would trot out 4 !H. I'll need to think on that one. It had not occurred to me.

Not that it matters. since we must deal with the auction as given--it occurs to me that a possible (preferable?) alternative route would have been:

2 !C - 2 !D
2 !S - 2NT
3 !S - 3NT
4 !D -

But that's not the auction we were provided.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 06:18:34 PM by Masse24 »

blubayou

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2020, 10:50:24 PM »
Ken---have you really given him enough data to choose 4 spades with   1=?=3+? pattern (or even 0-?=3/4=? pattern??)with this  <2C>  2!S, 3!d, 4!H  bid plan?, Also  he is simply going to LOVE his hand if he has the club ace for you then??--ouch.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 04:06:05 AM by blubayou »