Author Topic: 2020 October - MASTER SOLVERS CLUB  (Read 12953 times)

Masse24

• View Profile
Re: 2020 October - MASTER SOLVERS CLUB
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2020, 11:47:44 AM »
Your solutions have been received. This copy is for your records.

SOLVER: Todd Holes
        Glen Ellyn IL
        U.S.A.

Your Solutions for the October 2020 Contest
-------------------
PROBLEM A: 4 Clubs     
Hamman? Who’s he?
If partner is doubling at this level, we belong in game. Not sure where. This may help us find the right spot. It should certainly show a complete max for my overcall.

PROBLEM B: 4 Clubs     
My first instinct was 4NT. But it’s a bit rich for me.

PROBLEM C: 2 Clubs     
2 !C –big overbid. 3 !C – should show a much better suit. These invitational type bids—with a long suit—seem to consistently promise a very good suit. I do not have that, so I squint a bit and choose the overbid. It allows us to let partner describe his hand further. I also liked 2 !D.

PROBLEM D: (d)         
4 !S. My first instinct was 3NT. I admire Oliver’s bravery, but I chose the safe route.

PROBLEM E: 1 Spade   
1NT is the value bid.
1S is what I would do at the table.

PROBLEM F: Pass
A "gambling pass."  ;) These are the October problems, so I thought I would pull a Halloween answer! This one is scary!  :-\
I’ll set aside my slam aspirations. Partner had the opportunity to show more, but didn’t. He also had the chance to bid 3 !S, or double--but didn’t. He had the opportunity to show the hand I want to see for slam, but didn’t.
So he is not terribly strong, but has lots of diamonds. This is high enough.

PROBLEM G: 3 Clubs
Double also a strong contender.

PROBLEM H: Club Queen
Partner’s suit. Have I mentioned I hate lead problems?

« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 12:01:00 PM by Masse24 »
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

ccr3

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2020, 01:18:41 PM »

-------------------
PROBLEM A: 3 Notrump
PROBLEM B: 4 Clubs
PROBLEM C: 3 Clubs
PROBLEM D: (d)
PROBLEM E: 2 Spades
PROBLEM F: 6 Diamonds
PROBLEM G: 2 Notrump
PROBLEM H: Spade 10

Thank you for participating in the Master Solvers Club.

msphola

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2020, 02:05:00 PM »
oct 2020
A. 3D
B. 4H
3. 2C
D. B, B2
E. 2S
F. P
G. 3D
H. QC     

Curls77

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2020, 02:07:55 PM »
Wait please! I am reading questions now and will post in 3 mins -- swwwwy!

Curls77

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2020, 02:17:01 PM »
PROBLEM A: 3D
PROBLEM B: 4C
PROBLEM C: 3C
PROBLEM D: why cant I X? c)
PROBLEM E: 2S
PROBLEM F: 6D (happy be brave when p declares!)
PROBLEM G: Pass
PROBLEM H: cQ

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2020, 02:20:11 PM »
With regard to the lead problem, I recall once reading expert advice (maybe Edgar Kaplan) that the only excuse for not leading partner's suit is that you are void, and even then you should apologize!.
So, of course, I led a spade spot. 
We shall see.
Ken

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2020, 02:30:36 PM »
With regard to the lead problem, I recall once reading expert advice (maybe Edgar Kaplan) that the only excuse for not leading partner's suit is that you are void, and even then you should apologize!.
So, of course, I led a spade spot. 
We shall see.

My first instinct was also a low spade, so I think it is very much a possible winner. But I was contemplating the 3, which I thought was BWS.  :P
But I just went with Hoki's "simple soul" route.
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2020, 07:16:41 PM »
October Results

NAMEBW-SCORERANKMPs
YleeXoTee     710   1   30
KenBerg     690   2   15
Thornbury     650   3   10
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Also participating: BabsG, Blubayou, CCR3, Curls77, DrAculea, Hoki, Jcreech, MarilynLi, Masse24, Msphola, WackoJack
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 01:18:51 PM by jcreech »
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2020, 08:34:03 PM »

Your Solutions for the October 2020 Contest
-------------------
PROBLEM A: 5 Diamonds      60
PROBLEM B: 4 Notrump        90
PROBLEM C: 2 Clubs           100
PROBLEM D: (b1)                 80
PROBLEM E: Pass                100
PROBLEM F: 6 Diamonds      100
PROBLEM G: 3 Clubs             60   
PROBLEM H: Spade 4          100

I am content.   I considered my pass of 1HX on E and my lead of the spade spot on H as the most dangerous. with my 4NT on B also very iffy. I will be interested in hearing about the X on G. I can see passing instead of 3C, but the responsive double did not occur to me.
Ken

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2020, 03:29:18 PM »
I have been thinking about G. 14 panel votes and a score of 100 for X.

Most likely this will bring a call of 2 !H from partner. After that, I suppose a bid of 2 !S by me should be something like "Hey buddy, if I had four spades and lacked four hearts I would have just bid 2 !S. Duh. So, when I X and then convert 2 !H to 2 !S I am saying I have a good three card spade holding so if you think I can score up 8 tricks there feel free to pass. But I can also stand a run to 3 !C if that seems better.

I have seen various such things about the responsive double but I usually think of it in simple, maybe simplistic, terms. After 1M-X-2M-X, that second X shows the minors. After 1m-X-2m-X, that second X shows both majors. But logic suggests some extensions.

Todd, I see you chose pass but contemplated X. Your thoughts about X were along the lines I am describing?

There is also a question, after the X, of just what partner would do if holding four cards in both majors. With the ordinary takeout double, after  1m-X-Pass, a partner holding both majors and some values  but not enough to bid 3m should surely bid 1 !S. As the auction continues he can later bid his !H, and then, if the X was on a 4-3, they will get to their 4-4 fit regardless of whether it is !H or !S.  I have not thought about whether similar reasoning applies with the responsive double.

PS Blu, I think you agreed to some sort of penalty if there was any substantial support for 4NT on B. Maybe you were going to mow my grass for a month, was that it? Or bake apple pies for everyone?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 03:31:39 PM by kenberg »
Ken

blubayou

• IACAdmins
  • lifelong director [1977-2010] and haunter of ACBL
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2020, 07:01:59 PM »
Grrrrr, Ken!    The only reason to give 4 hearts the top score,  is that the moderator--and many panelists  mus fear three loosers,  so, I am flummoxed that thebidthat drives to the 5-level  gets 7 votes and a big fat 90.  But , Dibby-   you must cancel my 1 participation points.  My word is my bong.
often it is better to beg forgiveness, than ask permission

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2020, 08:03:38 PM »
I have been thinking about G. 14 panel votes and a score of 100 for X.

Most likely this will bring a call of 2 !H from partner. After that, I suppose a bid of 2 !S by me should be something like "Hey buddy, if I had four spades and lacked four hearts I would have just bid 2 !S. Duh. So, when I X and then convert 2 !H to 2 !S I am saying I have a good three card spade holding so if you think I can score up 8 tricks there feel free to pass. But I can also stand a run to 3 !C if that seems better.

I have seen various such things about the responsive double but I usually think of it in simple, maybe simplistic, terms. After 1M-X-2M-X, that second X shows the minors. After 1m-X-2m-X, that second X shows both majors. But logic suggests some extensions.

Todd, I see you chose pass but contemplated X. Your thoughts about X were along the lines I am describing?

There is also a question, after the X, of just what partner would do if holding four cards in both majors. With the ordinary takeout double, after  1m-X-Pass, a partner holding both majors and some values  but not enough to bid 3m should surely bid 1 !S. As the auction continues he can later bid his !H, and then, if the X was on a 4-3, they will get to their 4-4 fit regardless of whether it is !H or !S.  I have not thought about whether similar reasoning applies with the responsive double.

PS Blu, I think you agreed to some sort of penalty if there was any substantial support for 4NT on B. Maybe you were going to mow my grass for a month, was that it? Or bake apple pies for everyone?

Yes, Ken. Pretty much my thinking. Although the bid of 3 !C is not made with zero values, it must show some. But the double has some flexibility as you describe above. I look at it as a "values double," which will become clear with my next bid.

But even knowing that, I chose the "safe" 3 !C. I do think this was one of the more difficult problems. But I thought they were all tough this month.

As far as Blu goes . . . I like apple pie. But I am happy to contribute to his purchase of a new lawnmower for his budding new lawncare business.  ;)

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2020, 01:41:36 PM »
Grrrrr, Ken!    The only reason to give 4 hearts the top score,  is that the moderator--and many panelists  mus fear three loosers,  so, I am flummoxed that thebidthat drives to the 5-level  gets 7 votes and a big fat 90.  But , Dibby-   you must cancel my 1 participation points.  My word is my bong.

No need.When someone says "I hope to kiss a duck" we do not bring in a duck and insist that he actually do so.

I think it is a balancing of dangers. And there are quite a few dangers to balance. The 3 !S bid ups the chances that other suits are not breaking well.  Also, partner could have five hearts. Over the 3 !S what is he to do holding a five card heart suit? A direct 4 !H on five is pretty unilateral. But of course he also might have four. The hand might not make game anywhere. Then again it might.

So: Both 4 !H and 4NT tale one of these bulls by the tail. It commits us to game. So that's the first choice, we play it in game. After that choice is made, then which game? Unless partner has a very unusual hand, 4 !H will be passed and we will play in a !H game, 4 NT will get pard to choose a minor and we will play in a minor suit game. I opted for the latter, but hardly with confidence.

I regard one thing as clear. If I opt for a minor suit game then I go with 4NT, offering a choice of 5 !C or 5 !D, rather than just choosing 5 !C. So I see the choices as:
First: Game or not? Surely 4 !C is passable.  I chose game.
Second: Ok, game, that's settled. Now do we opt for 4 !H or do we opt for asking pard to choose the minor suit game?

I can't say that I see either of these as clear cut. I decided to go with the game, and I thought that there were more ways for 4 !H to go wrong than for 5m to go wrong.
Ken

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2020, 09:50:50 PM »

I can't say that I see either of these as clear cut. I decided to go with the game, and I thought that there were more ways for 4 !H to go wrong than for 5m to go wrong.

Ken - Methinks you either voted incorrectly or misstated which contract is more likely to go wrong -- lol.
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2020, 12:39:28 AM »
No, I thought  there were more ways for 4 !H to go wrong. Since I don't want to go wrong, I went the 5m route by bidding 4NT.

And, to continue the earlier allusion to Billy Joel "I made it home alive, you said that only proves that I'm insane".

Ken