Author Topic: 2020 October - MASTER SOLVERS CLUB  (Read 12961 times)

blubayou

• IACAdmins
  • lifelong director [1977-2010] and haunter of ACBL
    • View Profile
Re: 2020 October - MASTER SOLVERS CLUB
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2020, 02:38:55 AM »
Good to hear from you Ken;  you are right in there spotting the insoluableness  of several of these problems.   Two points  to reconsider though:   on D:  [the balancing X of opp 3H overcall....Agreeing entirely  that we have no right to fly to game on our first turn...but doesn't pard's pull to 4 diamonds show a mountain,  or at least a high hill?.  secondly: ...on B:>  Pardner absolutely has HEARTS AND CLUBS  regardless of the note about opener's garbage 1D opener.  (  If he has hearts and DIAMONDS, that opp has "psyched" not only his shape but his high cards as well.   Truly,   cannot imagine intruding with a double without the two suits  partner (us)  will expect us to have -- do you really?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 03:35:47 PM by blubayou »
often it is better to beg forgiveness, than ask permission

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2020, 11:37:51 AM »
On B: 2D, alerted as possibly 2, would not be a psych as it was alerted as systemic. But what system? I assume they are playing some big club system. Thus the opening with 4=3=2=4 is either 1D or 1NT and the opening with 4=3=4=2 is either 1D or 1NT.  Of course 1NT requires a specific range.  So 1D when outside that range.

Often alerts are minimal such that you need to know more about their system before you can make much of them. Consider an opening by a2/1 player of 1C, alerted as "could be short". Ok really this means "could be as short as 2". But it will (for most 2/1 players, only be as short as 2 when his shape is exactly 4=4=3=2.  It's true that some open 1C on 4=3=4=2 so that a 1D opening also promises 5, but that is definitely not standard. Similarly, for a 2/1 player, if 1D is alerted as possibly on 3, this will only be (for most players) when they are 4=4=3=2.  So it comes down to: Is a 4=4=3=2 opened 1D or 1C?  On other shapes, 1C is on 3+ and 1D on 4+. In particular 1D=1M=1NT is on 4+ D and 1C-1H-1NT is on 4+C unless, fpr some, pn precisely 4=3=3=3.

Anyway, my point is that alerts, by rheir nature, are often incomplete and I take this alert as saying "We are playing a big club system so, when we hold 11-15, opening 1C is out of the question and thus unless we can open 1NT the 1D says nothing about the relative length of clubs and diamonds". 4=2 and 2=4 in the minors are equally likely shapes. If so, I want pard to choose his longer minor. 

On D, yes, I misread it. More later.
Added: Ah yes, now that I have had my coffee I remember what I was thinking. I take the X, followed by 4D, as "I have extras, I Xed in case you wanted to make a penalty pass, I don't have four spades, so raise to 5D if you want." Thus X followed by 4D is a hand with enough strength to be willing to play 3HX if that suits me, but not such a monster as to force 5D. But of course it doesn't forbid 5D. Pard really does not know I have anything at all, and he can assume I do not have a great deal since, with four spades and values, I would have Xed directly over 3H. So I have more than I might have. Is it enough to go on to 5D?  Maybe so.

Requires more thought.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 04:00:35 PM by kenberg »
Ken

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2020, 04:21:15 PM »
A few more words, I think I will start with B. What issues do people see?

A big issue I see is that partner might have five !H. Give him decent values and five hearts. Is he really going to bid 4 !H over 3 !S on a five card suit? That's pretty unilateral. So I think he could have five. Otoh, players get dealt more four card suits than five card suits so...
I think it is very plausible that my partner and my Rho both have four hearts. Do I then want to play 4 !H? I am thinking not, but perhaps I do.

Second issue: If I decide against bidding 4 !H, do I want to force to game? That's not really clear to me either, but it does appear to me that if we have a minor suit game it is equally likely to be in either minor, or at least almost equally likely. Rho can open 1 !D on a 3=4=2=4 shape and pard, with strength, might double on a 1=4=5=3 shape if the clubs are strong, with the hope that if I do not have four hearts then maybe  I have five clubs. And, if not, well I can ruff a spade in dummy and maybe cope.

If I sound uncertain, that's because I am. Rho has an opening bid, do I really want to play at the  five level? Do I really want to risk playing in 4 !H? It is not clear to me.
Ken

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2020, 06:58:39 PM »
Ken,

I see your issues, but there are similar issues from the other perspective.  Holding three hearts, am I to make the assumption that partner will double with a 5-card suit rather than overcall at a possibly precarious level.  Our 8-card fit might be in hearts, but I would be hard pressed to bid them from my side.  If it is a Moysian (4-3), then we are taking the tap from the wrong side.  At least in a minor, if it is a Moysian, the tap is coming from the correct side, allowing the best chance to be able to still pull trump.

My problem is how to get to the best minor contract, both level and strain, and I am at a loss in doing that.  4 !C does not show the values, 4 !D is too ambiguous, 4 !H  might be the garden spot, but might be a disaster, 4 !S  takes you past 4 !H, 4NT is ambiguous, and 5 of a minor risks guessing the wrong strain.

The longer I think on some of these problems, the more I think the best choice is to pass on these and wait for the November problem set - lol.
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2020, 08:04:12 PM »
Question: Is 4NT really ambiguous?  I passed over the 1 !D opening.
After
1 !D pass 3 !s X
Pass,
can 4NT be natural? Can it be key card? I don't think it can.
So I think it  it's for the minors , or at least it is some sort of try to find the right suit at the 5 level. If I were not passed hand, so if Lho had dealt and opened 3 !S, it might be a different story (or not) but here I think it is a minor suit take out. Most likely we belong in clubs, but diamonds could be right. I would expect pard to bid 5 !D only if his !D length was greater than his !C length (by one card would be enough) but I think that could be the case.

But I am far from confident we belong in 5m, either m. Well, 3 !S preempts work.

I do not worry that much about being right or wrong, I think the value of these problems is to sort out what this or that bid would mean, and how to evaluate our strength. 4 !C seems like an underbid, forcing to the 5 level seems optimistic. A long hesitation followed by 4 !C is unethical, or, if unintentional, at least causes a UI problem.  So we must choose.
Ken

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2020, 03:52:48 PM »
A  little speculation.

North:

!S 3
!H AT32
!D KQ843
!C AQ2

South:
!S J2
!H Q65
!D A765
!C KJ87

Do I double in 4th seat after 1 !D - Pass - 3 !S - ?
I don't see myself as passing.
I can see 4 !H making on a good day, and maybe 5 !C as well. But on the auction there is no good reason to think E has all four !D and so I would like to play this in 5 !D.

Sure, partner might not have this shape. In which case he bids 5 !C over my 4NT. But he might have this shape, I don't see why not. E opens 1 !D on 3=4=3=3, on 3=4=2=4, on 3=3=2=5,  and so on. I am not seeing the downside of 4NT , rather than 5 !C, given that pard will choose 5 !C unless he has something like the hand I have constructed.

4NT does commit us to game, and it does rule out playing in 4 !H. So I can see the value of 4 !C leaving it open to playing at the 4 level, either 4 !C or 4 !H. If I choose 4 !C, that will be why.  But if I decide that we are going to 5m then it seems like 4NT leaves the most doors open.

Ken

hoki

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2020, 10:03:41 AM »
PROBLEM A: 3 Diamonds    Not 3NT where partner needs five running tricks (outside of our aces) for us to be successful.
PROBLEM B: 4 Clubs         Keeps more options open than the alternatives.
PROBLEM C: 3 Clubs         Yes, it's a rotten suit but we have two good aces and it's less of a distortion than 1S.
PROBLEM D: (c) 3 NT   Answer (b) tells us pard has a single-suited diamond hand (which we are not supposed to know), so have UI.
PROBLEM E: 2 Spades   One point shy for a pass, using the rule of nine.
PROBLEM F: 6 Diamonds   How wrong can this be when we've got all the other suits controlled?
PROBLEM G: 3 Clubs   An underbid for sure, but the alternatives are all overbids.
PROBLEM H: Club Queen   As a simple soul, I look no further than partner’s suit.

blubayou

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2020, 12:09:16 PM »
SOLUTIONS FOR:[ Jock McQuade Gresham ORU.S.A.
PROBLEM A: 5 Diamonds
PROBLEM B: 4 Hearts  --Ignoring the 'pick a minor' debate because I believe we have three 'holes'.
PROBLEM C: 1 Spade
PROBLEM D: (b3)
PROBLEM E: 1 Spade
PROBLEM F: 5 Spades -- This won't get us to seven, but I tried.
PROBLEM G: Double    -- Prepared to force/suggest a choice between  spades and clubs.
PROBLEM H: Spade 10   
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 12:26:41 PM by blubayou »

wackojack

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2020, 10:39:56 PM »
A.  3NT.  I reckon there is better than a 40% chance of 8 top tricks outside clubs.  Say  !H KQ and  !D KQ.   
B. 4 !C.  One chance to land on the head of a pin.
C. 3 !C.  I am resisting the temptation of making the slight over bid of the game forcing 2 !C.
D. 4 !S. (d)  I bid what I think we can make.
E.  2 !S.  A penalty pass may not work.  Besides we may be lucky enough to get a penalty double of 3 !H.
 F. 6 !D.  I Don,t think we could ever bid 7 !D with any certainty.
G. Pass.  Partner could reopen with a good take out double.  Then, I will pass for penalties.
H.Q !C. A trump lead does not look like saving a trick.

MarilynLi

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2020, 11:39:01 PM »
PROBLEM A: 3 Notrump
PROBLEM B: 5 Clubs
PROBLEM D: (d)
PROBLEM E: 2 Spades
PROBLEM F: 5 Spades
PROBLEM G: Double
PROBLEM H: Club Queen

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2020, 01:41:07 AM »

I just may be the lunatic they're looking for...

Your solutions have been received. This copy is for your records.

SOLVER: Kenneth Berg
        Sykesville MD
        U.S.A.

Your Solutions for the October 2020 Contest
-------------------
PROBLEM A: 5 Diamonds
PROBLEM B: 4 Notrump
PROBLEM C: 2 Clubs
PROBLEM D: (b1)
PROBLEM E: Pass
PROBLEM F: 6 Diamonds
PROBLEM G: 3 Clubs
PROBLEM H: Spade 4
Ken

blubayou

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2020, 02:11:06 AM »
Hi HOKI :
    On  problemA:...He HAS 5 running tricks  --HE is not B-S-ing wth the responsive double--the opps are!  but I still choose to convert those to eleven or more in diamonds.   That is the american  take on  this responsive double  ( Is this the FIRST of my 5   20-scores??)

On problem G:    how fun will 3C be with  diamonds  tapping your [HOPEFULLY]  nice club support  a few times?   Better we  join Jim  and hope diamonds actually stopped once,  or that the rape ends after four tricks in notrump :)
  Hope  your cjhoice beats m y  insane quest  for a  3-4  spade trumpsuit, however [ ??? }i am  truly hoping someone choose to defend 2 diamonds  and gather in six OR SEVEN fast defensive trick!  anybody seeing this happening -- and  ANY of our choices  taking a minus as well?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 02:31:18 AM by blubayou »

yleexotee

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2020, 06:40:36 AM »
Not enough time to think about these as its approaching midnight. As usual, I bid them like I'm at the table - trying not to analyze beyond what I would do in real life when playing.
A. 3D - I don't usually go low, but I don't favor my chances of finding partner with 5 straight tricks to make 3nt.
B. 4H - Moysian and staying away from 5 level games
C. 2C - Its technically a GF hand and I should take the hint of 3C invitational, but I'm not going to pretend I didn't see that Intermediate jump shifts are on.
D. (c) 3nt against trying to keep us from going to 5D when 3nt is the right choice
E. 2S. not enough to pass, doesn't meet rule of 9
F. 6D I wouldn't clearly know all the meanings of other possible cue bidding or what not to find a slightly better 6nt.
G. X  !, I know that this is what I would do at the table. I suspect this won't be a popular answer.
H. Q of clubs. tried to talk myself into the King of H to get count from p, but they won't have any trump so it wouldn't matter.

drac

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2020, 07:51:09 AM »
Wladislaus Dragwlya
Castrum Sex
Romania

PROBLEM B: 4 Clubs
PROBLEM C: 2 Diamonds
PROBLEM D: (c)
PROBLEM E: 1 Spade
PROBLEM F: 6 Diamonds
PROBLEM G: Pass
PROBLEM H: Spade 3

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2020, 10:48:46 AM »
SOLVER: James Creech
        FREDERICKSBURG VA
        U.S.A.

Your Solutions for the October 2020 Contest
-------------------
PROBLEM B: 5 Clubs
PROBLEM D: (d)
PROBLEM E: 2 Spades
PROBLEM F: 5 Spades  - I almost never stick 100% with my original thoughts, I choose to try for 7 by cue bidding the opponents suit
PROBLEM G: 2 Notrump
PROBLEM H: Club Queen
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran