Author Topic: 2020 October - MASTER SOLVERS CLUB  (Read 12957 times)

Masse24

• View Profile
2020 October - MASTER SOLVERS CLUB
« on: August 14, 2020, 05:41:34 PM »
OCTOBER 2020 MSC

Deadline: SEPTEMBER 10 at 9:00 a.m. (ET)

Submit your OCTOBER MSC responses here: The Bridge World - MASTER SOLVERS CLUB

BWS 2017 System: BWS 2017
BWS 2017 POLLS, CHANGES AND ADDITIONS: BWS 2017 - Polls, Changes, and Additions
  • Bridge World Standard 2017 (BWS or BWS2017) is effective beginning with the January 2017 Master Solvers' Club problems. This page shows (1) the results of the panelist polls that were used to adjust the system; and (2) the changes in and the additions to Bridge World Standard 2001 (BWS2001) that were made.
    In the listings of the questions and answers, an asterisk indicates the BWS2001 agreement; the proportion of the expert votes for each item, rounded to the nearest percent, is shown in brackets.

IAC Forum MSC Scores

“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

blubayou

• IACAdmins
  • lifelong director [1977-2010] and haunter of ACBL
    • View Profile
Re: 2020 October - MASTER SOLVERS CLUB
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2020, 09:52:29 AM »
Somebody is going to score in the low 400's this month--maybe it's ME. 
     Watch this space  horrible answers coming soon  :(
often it is better to beg forgiveness, than ask permission

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2020, 11:19:22 AM »
Somebody is going to score in the low 400's this month--maybe it's ME. 
     Watch this space  horrible answers coming soon  :(

I agree.  Of the eight problems, I have only narrowed down my initial thoughts to one probable answer in two.  I think Joe might say the theme of this set is double trouble - lol.  Best of luck to all who participate.  Like Jock, I intend to get intial thoughts out soon - I just want to cry in my beer a bit longer before making any tentative commitments.
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

ccr3

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2020, 12:47:41 PM »
It's as though The Bridge World is saying to us: We dare you to make the Honor Roll this month! Good luck everyone.

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2020, 04:49:18 PM »
Not exactly Pat.

I think we will see a lot of split decisions.  If we get a normal moderator, the choices might be something like 100/90/80/70, then there will be few nearly perfect sets, but we could still see normal sorts of ranges.  If we gt the moderator from hades, then the results will be more like 100/60/50/30.  Now we could see normally good sets brought down by 100-200 very easily, and the honor roll struggling to get to 700.

yleexotee

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2020, 09:04:57 PM »
You all weren't joking about those tough hands. I'm going to think about these for once, though I doubt that will help.

yleexotee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2020, 09:05:29 PM »
Todd, where are our 3 and 6 month rolling averages for the challenge!

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2020, 10:20:51 PM »
Here are my initial self-flagellations.

Problem A: 3NT  Where do I go from here?  The opponents have preempted, partner made a responsive double, I have 16 HCPs all in aces, we are unfavorable vulnerability and nothing seems good.  Partner has to have values to make a responsive double at that level, so I am thinking 3 !D if I take the low road, 3NT, 4 !C and 4 !D if I take a high road.  Aces and spaces really make this difficult.  If I pass, I start with two rounds of hearts and try to find partner for a ruff.  The advantage to 3 !D is that is stays below 3NT, but what if partner has 9 or more.  3NT would be better with a third club so I could duck two rounds.  Nothing feels right yet, but at least 3NT puts us in a game.

Problem B:  5 !C  I am tempted to just bid 4 !C to leave room for partner to bid 4 !H, but then I would also be tempted to bid on havimg underbid on the prior round.  So I think I am stuck with jump bidding clubs to show my values and hope I am not finding partner with only three.

Problem C:  1 !S  Again, what to do?  The best description is 3 !C showing invitational values and six clubs; but what a lousy suit, it has way too many honor gaps at the top.  For similar reasons, I am not keen on bidding 2 !C and forcing to game with this hand.  At least with 2 !D I have the right values and a concentration in the suit, but a potentially 3-3 fit is not at all appealing (though I really expect to see at least 4 in partner's hand).  The good thing about 2 !D is that partner is highly motivated to show the heart stop, and perhaps move us toward 3NT.  Speaking of NT, I am more inclined to bid 1NT than 2NT.  In both, the stiff heart makes me reluctant.  The values are more right for 2NT, but the stiff makes me more inclined to bid a heavy 1NT.  One last thought ia 1 !S (borrowing a club to be my fourth spade).  If partner fails to bid 1NT or raise spades, I will begin to picture a shape something like 3-4-5-1.  Nonetheless, I will have more information about partner's hand.

Problem D:  d  Planning an auction.  The values are reasonable for passing, but trumps are not up to snuff.  I will try 4 !S (d) because I am close to a jump response.  My other thoughts include c (3NT) shows values and a stop, but not such a great stopper that I do not pass for penalty, and b3 (bidding 4NT, which should be natural showing the heart stop).  Of these, d is more appealing to me.  But I would rather just bid 3NT at my first turn than to back into it later over 4 !D.

Problem E:  2 !S With two bullets and four spades, I will upgrade a bit for the jump response.  1 !S is a good choice if you do not upgrade, as is 1NT.  I do not like passing the double at this level and with this holding.  You will probably emerge with three heart tricks, but still need four more.  I might pass with AJ9xx though.

Problem F:  6 !D  With first round control in the three side suits, this feels right.  I am a bit concerned about missing 7 !D.  I thought about 5NT, but that only asks about two of the top three - I don't have any top honors, so partner would be justified to go with KQ; I'd have to be sure that we were on the same wavelength to try that.  I also thought about passing; it may be right, but seems wimpy.  This was the easiest decision in the group for me.

Problem G:  2NT  I feel like I have only bad choices.  I have enough to jump but my strength is in the suits I am fairly certain partner has length in.  I do not feel like jumping in clubs on a very ratty suit.  The trump are not good enough to pass and then convert partner's reopening double.  So do I bid 3C on a 9xxx or 2NT on T9xx - I opt for 2NT because they may be 4-4 or partner has a stiff honor to give me a for real stop and I should have close to these values for the call.

Problem H:  !C Q  What was it the DickHy said last month - I wish they would stop at G?  This month, I wish they had not started this set.  But given that they didn't, I am now at the lead.  The choices I like best are the !C Q and any small spade.  Partner was willing to bid the suit, so I will lead it.  However, they may be in a 4-3 or worse, and the lead of a trump may help the defense immeasureably.  But who knows, maybe the Q will hold, and a switch to a trump will look good. 

edited to make my final choice on Problem D make sense with the rambling that I had written and then changed my mind
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 12:10:43 PM by jcreech »

blubayou

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2020, 10:58:04 AM »
Problem A:>>  I keep seeing partner having 5 running  diamonds, plus a king-equivalent(in ANY suit),   so that makes 3NT the bid even when we cannot shake three loosers trouble, playing in diamonds.            --3NT
Problem B:>>  Give pard  !H AKJx[x?]  !C AQxx[x?]  and 4 unhelpful cards in "their suits", leaving opps withe effectively the other 15 pts.  He could have more,   but a KING more, really?  This view shows that 4 clubs is our limit--or 4 HEARTS, if he has 5 of them.  It would be nice  if we could cue 4!D  and it catered to that possibility,  but there are 2 problems with this:  [1] it drives us to 5C when he cannot take it in hearts  and [2]  "4!D" shows DIAMONDS  given the opps' big club usage of a 1 diamond opening (check this out with your steady partners).                               --4 Clubs
  I am really considering just BIDDING 4!H  hoping  the Moysean holds together,  or is actually a 3-5 fit...hmmm
Problem C:>>   I checked BWS2017 and found  "1D, 1S; 1NT, three clubs"  is a natural, N.F.  invite,  so we are going that route. Of partner's other likely rebids, there is no problem  except a single raise in spades.   At the table,  this dilemma would almost rule out  the 1 spade response, since passing there at vulnerable imps  is disgusting.  but...  --1 Spade
Problem D:>>   Partner  could have  AK,..,AK,A   and still be beaten at 5 Diamonds,   and he may well have only four of those big guns.   Count me OUT, in money,marbles or matchpoints                                      --(b1)
Problem E:>>   too difficult  -- onward
PRoblem F:>>   PArtner is void in spades,  so my ace there is not exactly a cover-card,  just a naked trick. So..  must partner have an optomistic NINE winners to add to my two other aces?  Sure he does :  --, KQx,KQJxxxx,Kxx  isn't  even a stretch.  slam it!     
   Todd's following post is making me feel like a milktoast  (  one of my 17  bbo nicknames)  . Once there was a modification of grand-slam-force catering to "megasuits", such as partner has advertised here,  where 6C showed worst case,  6D showed "what you expected"  and above 6 of trumps showed RUNNING.  Anybody want to take a 20  voting for this variation??  Eddie Kantar will smile upon you.                 -- 6 Diamonds (and ready to upgrade)
Problem G:>>   Leaning towards 3 clubs..........
Problem H:>>   gotta be the club Queen,  but LORD I hate under-ruffing multiple times throughout the entire play  so don't say "I told you so";  I'm already kicking myself for not starting trumps.           Club Q [but  not for much longer] 
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 04:17:53 AM by blubayou »

blubayou

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2020, 02:00:50 AM »
I am forced to quote our most poetic contributor  Kenberg-- from several months back  for zero particular reason except old-guy solidarity:)  :  "We will soon be judged.  An advantage of aging is that I have long ago given up on worrying about being judged. I just assume I am right.  "   One of your many poems that touch me,  Ken

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2020, 10:44:49 PM »
PROBLEM F:!S

The question is not, "do we belong in slam?" but instead, "which slam do we belong in?"

Somehow finding a grand is beyond my vision. I'm open to suggestions.

Partner knows I have four hearts. And based on partner's jump, I'm guessing he has a strange hand with few HCP and lots of diamonds. Maybe something like the below construction might fit partner's bidding:

!S x - !H Kx - !D AKJxxxxx - !C Kx

A perfect fit with my hand. Probably unlikely. Would partner instead bid 3 !S with this? Does partner's failure to bid 3 !S deny running diamonds? This concerns me. Anyway, I want to alert partner to the potential for another strain by cuebidding 5 !S. This should show first round control (the Ace?) and I think implying the heart control. If partner's diamonds are "solid," he may catch my drift and bid notrump---which scores higher. 

But maybe my thinking is off?
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

thornbury

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2020, 01:19:12 AM »

PROBLEM A: 4 Diamonds
PROBLEM B: 4 Hearts
PROBLEM C: 2 Clubs
PROBLEM D: (d)
PROBLEM E: Pass
PROBLEM F: Pass
PROBLEM G: 2 Notrump
PROBLEM H: Club Queen

blubayou

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2020, 09:08:40 AM »
Problem A:   We have to bid game -- there is no point inviting when pard has zero aces --and I think either 5 diamonds or 3NT  is on. especially when my dream of a running 5-4 diamond fit comes true.   Just now it occured to me that I don't have to decide this turn, but can listen to partner  rescue himself .  which game to bid if partner pulls 3CX to hearts?  I wish i knew if that tips the scales toward NT,  or 5 diamonds.   Pass will probably make a lousy quizz score, but  here i go.                              --PASS    <--   These last sentences have to be struck;  partner may rightfully  take out PASS   as a leave-in          --  back to 5D or 3NT again for me:(

Problem B:   I give partner ALL the missing points in our suits (!h jack??)  and 9 or 10 of them.. ( opening points + 2 FOUR card suits is really swinging from the trees at the colours).  But I can't see another king over there , so unless he has 10 cards,  we are stuck with the equivalent of 3 losers in their suits.  That lets 5 clubs out for me, but i am betting the ranch on hearts coming home, partly hoping for !HAKxxx and partly that he has he jack as well as the AK.        --4 HEARTS
P.S.:  Sitting behind the 3!S response, i would never dare to double holding other than 9+ clubs+hearts despite the announced nebulous 1D opening.  If I had enough hand to correct a non-heart response to diamonds,  then the opener has psyched, given south's good cards.

Problem C:   As 2 weeks ago, still leaning toward  ONE SPADE,  with the non-forcing jump to 3 Clubs coming after pard's 1NT.  Two of a red suits  we can also live with,  but the killer rebid here is his possible raise to 2 Spades.    I have no right not to make a game try over this, but now it all seems like a trip down the famous rabbit-hole,  whether i reraise, or bid 3 diamonds --or name a green suit.  this is one of the 4 or 5 problems  I knew was going to end in madness even after 4 weeks of 'thinking'.

Problem D:   IT looks like we missed the winning 3NT,  assuming east's hearts can be shut out.  Partner should have quite a bit more than just a 'courtesy' reopening double:.  I am getting back on the gravy train  by returning to notrump hoping for 2  clubs, 5 of 6 diamonds, the heart  and 2 to 4 spades.   Raising to 5 diamonds is NOT worth the trouble since it will require this meat-axe I am dreaming about to have a prayer--  might as well play for some bad news and drop it at four.  Thanks to ??? ?? for mentioning that four notrump was an option--I started out as a passer.             -4NT
                             P.S.  A thought for those of us who are voting for a game bid [(c)  or (d) ] : We did not know at first tun to respond that pard had other than an ordinary opener,  [of acceptable shape] -- it is only after her rebid that we know he's got the goods.   Still, we have a bit more than the bits-and-pieces we are assumed to have,  so  fair winds, you high-road  folks!

Problem E:   We are big believers in the Rule of the Borrowed Queen in balancing auctions (more like the borrowed king)  so, this EASY positive response had partner doubled directly is not so certain  on this deal.  I am thinking about waiting for partner to tell me he has at least the middle range of a normal double -- WITH four spades  before reaching for that brass ring.  Knowing all the while that we may be able to scramble 10 tricks even with only 20-21 points between us.   Leaning heavily to the low road .                      -- ONE SPADE

Problem F:  Seven running diamonds plus a king and a KQ is not too much to expect, and adds up to thirteen notrump.   but how to ask if pard has this.   Can a 5 spade cue bid  show all three aces at once?  Well, it might with a dream partner, as what else CAN I have to be proud of, if he dos have such?            Let's go for it     --5 Spades
.PROBLEM!!! GEE:       The year's champion for driving a solver insane.   no FANCY  gadget to wish  your pair has agreed, just hunker down and guess well.   First blush it looks like 2 or 3 sick answers  (3C, 2NT,  or give up  [pass)..  but there are actually two more even sicker!   --  DOUBLE (responsive)  then correct hearts to spades  [letting poor pard make the fatal choice between clubs and spades,  and GLORY BE!--  BIDDING 2 spades!.  3 Clubs i would bid in a heartbat when i was 18.  Taking the diamond punches with pard's hoped-for good clubs not a problem, as i still have the mighty 9-8xx.  Jim's scenario of 'Let them rape me in diamonds  playing notrump --it's only FOUR tricks,  and i may manage 8 of the next nine  or come close"  has to be considered.   anybody who PASSES,  may easily find herself in posession of a plus score --  check out how  defense might have 6+cashers vs. opps perfectly OK diamond contract--. 
    This leaves the two auctions that probably end up in two spades.   responsive X with correction out of hearts,  and the simple two spade reply.      I am choosing one of those.  LET  the long trump hand take the diamond hits!  my AQT tight will hold the fort, eh?                                    --2S, or X followed by 2S  --

Problem H:>>  WHAT the heck were we thinking when first looking at this problem? -- Declarer running 4 trumps+club ace + 5 solid diamonds  for ten??   And how will a club lead change that?   kill some x-ruffing  and they are toast, toast TOAST,  unless they have all the above goodies!   IF pard actually has more than  nine clubs to the ten,  i predict a non-vulnerabl, not-doubled "bloodbath"!                   SPADE TEN   (actually giving them credit for an 8-card fit which hurts , if i crash my partner's stiff jack/queen,,lol)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 04:49:40 PM by blubayou »

bAbsG

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2020, 09:23:17 PM »
Your solutions have been received. This copy is for your records.

SOLVER: Babs Giesbrecht
       Qualicum Beach BC
       Canada

Your Solutions for the October 2020 Contest 
-------------------
PROBLEM A: 3 Notrump
PROBLEM B: 4 Clubs
PROBLEM C: 2 Clubs
PROBLEM D: (c)
PROBLEM E: 2 Spades
PROBLEM F: 6 Diamonds
PROBLEM G: 2 Notrump
PROBLEM H: Club Queen

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2020, 06:12:57 PM »
All thoughts subject to change.

A. 5 !D
I would dearly like to bid 4 !C, with the understanding that when partner responds 4 !H and then I bid 4 !S, this would mean that I want to play in spades if partner has 3 and in 5D if he does not. But I am far from sure that would be understood.

B. 4NT (trusting that it asks pard to choose a minor)
Pard is forcing me to the 4 level, so maybe my hand is good enough for the 5 level.  I suppose they are playing some big club system and I suppose that their 1NT would be maybe 13-15 or 12-14 or some such. If we end up declaring it's important to know which. If indeed the opener has only two !D then it is very likely that they do not have the point count to open 1N. Knowing their NT range could guide us in the play. At any rate, for the bidding, I think I want to go to game and I imagine opener can have two diamonds and four clubs just as easily as he can have two clubs and four diamonds.  Yes, I know, maybe 4 !H is the winning contract. We can't have everything..

C. 2 !C
Oh I suppose I am a bit light. Ok. But bidding 3 !C could leave us in a stupid 3 !C contract when we belong in !D, and bidding an inverted 2 !D might get us to a stupid !D contract when we belong in !C.  At least by bidding 2 !C this will steer us to !C when we belong in !C and we can still find !D when we belong in !D.

D. b1
I have no serious reason to think we can make more than 9 tricks in spades.

E. Pass
It's mps, they are vul, and it's not crazy to hope we can beat this a trick. Maybe yes, maybe no.

F. 6 !D
That 5 !D does not leave me with room to explore, but I have the !S A opposite what is probably a stiff, I have two other aces, all I have said so far is X over the 1 !S.
 6 !D seems to be odds on. If it makes 7 that's tough. I'll hope for 6.

G. 3 !C
Well, I have four clubs and I have some values. Unfortunately the values are not in clubs. Maybe pard doubled with good values and hearts, and we are about to hear a 3 !H bid.  Or not. But if 3 !C gets passed out I should probably be ok.

H. !S 3 (or some !S spot)
The fewer ruffs they get the more apt we are to beat this.
Ken