Author Topic: another Wacko hand  (Read 2211 times)

kenberg

• View Profile
another Wacko hand
« on: August 12, 2020, 09:31:08 PM »
There was a hand last night that presented in interesting play problem. I'll put declarer's hand at the bottom.

!S Q9763
!H Q64
!D KT7
!C Q7

!S AK2
!H A7
!D Q65
!C AT982

Rho deals and opens 1 !D, we overcall 1NT, the opponents now remain silent. Partner transfers to spades and then invites with 2NT. We happily accept with 4 !S.
The opening lead is the !H J.

I suppose we could make up wild distributional hands that were opened light but would assume, correctly, that Rho holds the !H A, the !D A, and the !C K. Maybe one or both of the unseen Jacks, or maybe not.

Declarer succeeded but he expressed concern about the !C J for his line of play. He drew three rounds of trump ending on the  board, then led the !C Q covered by the K, taken with the A, and then another !C. The J was on his right so all is well. He can get back to his hand with a !D and has plenty of tricks. The opponents can cash the !C J or K at T2 and the two red aces when they wish.

However as declarer noted, it could have been Lho who had the !C J, in which case he takes it and leads another !H, and the opponents get a !C, two !H, and the !D A.

What to do? Given the assumption that the  !H A [Oops, the !H K, see reply below], the !D A, and the !C K are with Rho, I think we can bring this in whenever  there is no singleton or void in any suit in either hand, and assuming that the !H lead was not a doubleton (which would be bizarre).  That seems like not too much to ask.

I will leave a little room in case you want to think about it.

Ok, here is what I think works. Our goal is to establish clubs, three club ricks will be enough, and we want to do it w/o letting Lho in.
So win the !H at T1 and lead the !C 2, playing the 7 unless Lho plays the J.  So Rho is in, either with the J or the K, you don't care. He presumably will not cash a red ace so he returns black card, let's say a trump. Win on the board and lead the !C Q. If Rho played the K at T2 then of course this Q  will hold. But even if if Rho won at T1 with the J, he still cannot cover the Q with the K else the entire club suit runs. Ah. Now two rounds of !c have been played, we have won the Q, we still have the A, and we will set up one more club. Draw trump ending in hand, ruff a !C  on the board, establishing the suit, and lead a !D from the board back to your hand. We take five spades, one heart one diamond, three clubs. That's ten.

Seems to work, at least I think so. If there is a gap (other than the prescribed conditions) I have not been able to see it. I sort of like the idea of starting a suit with small to the 7.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 05:17:42 PM by kenberg »
Ken

jcreech

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
Re: another Wacko hand
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 12:41:46 PM »
There was a hand last night that presented in interesting play problem. I'll put declarer's hand at the bottom.

!S Q9763
!H Q64
!D KT7
!C Q7

!S AK2
!H A7
!D Q65
!C AT982

I suppose we could make up wild distributional hands that were opened light but would assume, correctly, that Rho holds the !H A, the !D A, and the !C K. Maybe one or both of the unseen Jacks, or maybe not.

Ken, I would start by asking for a new deck - the !H A is both in East and South's hand.  Though, at this point, maybe it is a new pair of glasses that is needed, and the one in South is actually the K?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 12:43:58 PM by jcreech »
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

kenberg

• View Profile
Re: another Wacko hand
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 04:14:35 PM »
K is on the right, A in hand, Q on board.
Thanks.

Interestingly, if the A were on the right and the K in hand it would probably go the same way The J is led, small from dummy, Rho probably does not hop up with the A (nice if he does) and so you win the k and have the same situation as at the table.

I like the hand because it has a variety of interesting features. It's hard to see how to take ten tricks unless you can bring in three club tricks. You have five spades tricks (assuming a 3-2 break), one heart, one easily developable diamond. We need three more tricks and clubs appear to be the played to get them, especially since any way to get two club tricks probably also develops three.

But to develop clubs we need either a miracle or we need to lose one club no mater how we play them.  But while we cannot avoid losing one club we can avoid who we lose it to. A small club to the 7 does that.

Interestingly, there might even be overtricks playing a small !C at T2. As the cards were. it goes small-small-7-J. Now we plan to lead the Q when we get back in, and this will establish 4 !C tricks. So,  if Rho wants to hold us to 10 tricks, he had better cash out when in with the J.

I was trying hard to get all the cards right. I reversed the NS cards to put declarer at the bottom, but then I got my description of the opponent's cards wrong. Thanks again. I really like the hand so I want to have it readable.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 05:15:33 PM by kenberg »
Ken