Author Topic: wacko hands  (Read 2216 times)

kenberg

• View Profile
wacko hands
« on: July 15, 2020, 12:58:10 PM »
I played a few of the Wacko hands yesterday. As I think I have said before, one feature that I really like is that is that many of the hands present problems that have no clear cut right approach.

Here is  a hand, we are non-vul, our opps vul,  I am dealer, I hold a 2=3= 2=6 shape with  (as near as I can recall)

!S Kx
!H xxx (maybe 9xx)
!D 9x (the 9 turns out to be useful)
!C AKxxxx

So, do I open? I passed, much to the disagreement of others. If you put a gun to my head and tell me I must open, I open 1 !C not 3 !C.

This led to a very chancy but good result. The auction went as follows:

Pass - 1 !D - Pass - 2 !S (weak jump shift)
Pass - 3 !S -   X  -  Pass
?
Ouch. If I had opened 1 !C,  if they then reached 3 !S (as they would),  and if then my partner doubled, then surely I must pull. Partner, because of my opening, would be  expecting help in setting this.  Actually, had I opened 1 !C I doubt partner would have doubled 3 !S. I expect we would end in 5 !C off 1. Here is partner's hand (again as best I recall)

!S x
!H KQxx
!D KQJ8
!C QJxx

A 14 count, a stiff in their suit, support for my suit, and no doubt he will have figured me for long and strong clubs. Why? Well, it will begin 1 !C - X - 1 !H -  some number of !S. Our vul opponents will be bidding up their spades (they have ten of them) I will not be supporting partner's hearts, and I did open the bidding. With 4-4 in the minos I would have opened 1 !D so surely for my 1 ~!C opening I have 5 at least. And some values. Where are those values? In clubs it would seem.

So we would end in 5 !C off 1 when they cash their aces.

With my initial pass, I can reason that I never said I had any values at all, partner is doubling, for take-out but I should think with good values,  in a live auction, not the pass out seat. My values might well be enough, when added to his, to beat this. And so it was.

I started with the !C K, dummy came down as 4=4=4=1, I switched to the !D 9. Dummy has  ATxx in !D. Terrific. Whether he plays the A, or the T, or ducks, we are establishing some !D tricks.

Dummy has the !S A so declarer can pick up my K but that's only if he can get to his hand. He can't. He tries the !S A and another !S, I take my K and lead another !D. Partner cashes the !D KQ, we now have 4 tricks, he plays another !D riffed, and now pard just waits to collect his !H trick. Declarer is 6=2=3=2. there is nothing for him to do as near as I can see.

Yes we can make 4 !C, but if I open this hand 1 !C it is going to be very hard to stop in 4 !C. Basically, I think we can't.

I have no quarrel with a  !C opening.  I think opening it 3 !C carries a high risk of missing a game (when the other cards are laid out differently) but different players will see this differently. As I said, I like the Wacko hands because there is room for a difference of views.

Note that we have 10 clubs, they have 10 spades. LOTT claims that there should be 20 total tricks. We can easily take exactly 10 in !C, I don't see how the opponents could have made 3 !S,  I think they have only 8 tricks coming. LOTT is often off by a trick, here it is off by 2 tricks.  LOTT can be a useful guide, but I would not want my life to depend on its accuracy. I am more than willing to admit that passing that X was risky.

The hands were interesting, and fun. I made some errors. What else is new?

We could discuss some of the others.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 01:14:47 PM by kenberg »
Ken

Masse24

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
Re: wacko hands
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2020, 02:02:50 PM »
Here is  a hand, we are non-vul, our opps vul,  I am dealer, I hold a 2=3= 2=6 shape with  (as near as I can recall)

!S Kx
!H xxx (maybe 9xx)
!D 9x (the 9 turns out to be useful)
!C AKxxxx

So, do I open? I passed, much to the disagreement of others. If you put a gun to my head and tell me I must open, I open 1 !C not 3 !C.

Busy at work, so missed it.
Apparently I would have been in the minority? This does not look like an opening hand.
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2020, 02:32:01 PM »
I think it is close, but I passed.

Here is another:

!S Jxx
!H KJT
!D J9xxx
!C QJ

Partner opens 1 !C, Pass on you right, and you have to decide whether to respond 1 !D or 1NT.  I went with  1 !D, but I can imaine 1NT.

And in the discussion afterward, I made an error.

The auction went along as

1 !C - -Pass - 1 !D - 1 !S
 X and there was discussion as to whether the X is a support X for !D or if it shows !H.

I said that with discussion I like support, but that's not right.

I think that after  1 !C - -Pass - 1 !D - 1 !H then X should be three card !D support, since with four !S opener can simply bid them, but when the overcall is in !S I think the X is needed to show !H.

This might depend on just how Walshie we are. If responder can be trusted to not have four !H unless he has a GF hand then maybe using X as support is ok over the 1 !S as well. But usually I am not that Walshie.

As it happened, partner had both four !H and three !D.

Ken

jcreech

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2020, 04:56:28 PM »
On the first hand, I am with you and Todd and would passed at the table (most times).  I qualified it with a most times because I do occasionally get a wild hair up my but and recently opened in first chair Axxxx x KQTxx xx, so I cannot say it as an absolute.

As for the second hand, it depends on agreements.  Playing in a Walsh-style partnership, it is clearly a support double.  In a bid-em up the line partnership, I think it has to show hearts because someone has to take responsibility for the suit.  Without hearts, I pass and wait for the reopening double.  Now I can bid diamonds - I don't have four because I did not raise immediately.
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2020, 06:39:38 PM »
The second hand had some interesting features. Partner has a 1=4=3=5 shape (he kept getting singleton spades) and his !H were something like AQ9x, And he had good values so that 4 !H rates to be playable: Let the opponents take the first three !S tricks holding on to all four !h in the hand. Then a further !S could be ruffed in dummy, trumps drawn,  after which he has 10 tricks. Unfortunately, !H split 5-1 so that's out.

I do not recall his hand in detail, but I think 5 !C is off as well. We were in 5!D, off 1.

The auction, as I recall:

1 !C - Pass - 1 !D - 1 !S
  X -    2 !S - Pass - 3 !S
 X  -   Pass  - ?

Possibly I am a hero if I again pass here. This time they have only a 9 card fit and maybe we beat it. But after mulling over the choices of Pass, 4 !C, 4 !D, 4 !H I finally settled on 4 !D and pard, with good values, raised to 5.

Whatever one thinks of Richard's views of 4m, I think here, after I pass over the 2 !S call, we can definitely treat my 4 !D as non-forcing. But pard had quite a good hand, and took a reasonable shot. I did seriously consider 4 !C instead of 4 !D. Again I am guessing that partner has one !S and four !H and so, if he bids as I do, he will not be 4-4 in the minors he will be 5-3.   But I think he gets his five !C tricks, four !H tricks and the !D A. I do not recall the hand exactly.

Probably 4 !H is the most reasonable contract. Makes on a 4-2 split, too bad about the 5-1.

Good hands for a discussion. Best choice is not clear.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 06:41:42 PM by kenberg »
Ken