Author Topic: could this hand possibly be interesting?  (Read 1900 times)

kenberg

• View Profile
could this hand possibly be interesting?
« on: July 11, 2020, 12:06:20 PM »
Mps, no one vul, you are dealer and hold:

!S 85
!H 9432
!D T853
!C 974

You Pass, Lho opens 2 !S, partner doubles, Rho passes, fortunately you are playing Lebensohl so you bid 2NT, a relay to !C. Of course I still was not happy, but now my Rho bid 3 !S. Oh thank you! I passed, Rho passed, partner doubled. oops. Three more passes and now we are defending 3 !S X.

Partner leads the !C A

!S 85
                      !H 9432
                      !D T853
                      !C 974

!S 964
!H QJT8
!D AQ6
!C QT2

Ok. I cannot have an attitude in the !C suit, I can only have count and so I signal an odd number (with the 4, we were playing standard).
But Q 1: Suppose I had four clubs. Do I signal an even number? Partner's 3 !C was forced, I don't know where his length is. I don't really want him cashing the K and setting up the Q if I have four clubs. Anyway, I have 3 so it's easy.

Partner switches to the !H A. Oh my. Now I have this problem. I suppose in theory I could have the !H K but I doubt partner would lead the Aw/o the K with that holding in dummy so he has the K. I do not want him thinking I have a doubleton. So: Signal an even number?

Partner cashes the !H K and switches to the !D 4, the Q is played from the board. Now we are getting desperate. Count or attitude? I could, but don't, have the !D J and pard might like to know whether i do or don't. But also I might have an odd or even number of  !D and partner might like to know which. I am inclined to think attitude takes precedence over count here, so I played a discouraging 3. [Added: I guess if declarer had the J he wouold have played low. thus partner has the J, and so a count signal would not be mis-understood.]

The story ends happily , we beat it one trick for a 90% board. But I was uncertain about many of my choices.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 10:59:51 AM by kenberg »
Ken

jcreech

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
Re: could this hand possibly be interesting?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 01:58:32 PM »
I think when your partner saw dummy, it was known that you had very little on this auction.  Under these circumstances, where partner has doubled for takeout and later for penalty, you have probably started to show weakness, and dummy comes down with substantial values, it should be apparent to partner that you are looking at a maximum of a 4 HCPs, and none likely to be prime.  Your responsibility should be to show count so that partner knows which tricks will cash. 

Something about this defense does not make sense.  Since partner had the HAK, and only led the CA, then partner also has the CK.  If partner has the AK tight in hearts, and we are playing ace from AK, then partner made a mistake; it should have been the K then the A.  If partner has AKx, then to set up the dummy's hearts and then put declarer in dummy (allowing one or more pitches on the hearts) is also a mistake.

We do not have the full hand, so I am guessing that partner has a trump control and is not afraid of too many pitches  on the hearts.  But to lead a diamond after cashing the hearts and not cashing the other top club suggests that the club was taken as attitude, not count, and club length is of some concern.  Nonetheless, once that trump control is gone, the top club needs to be cashed in order to not see it go away.  I presume that happened, or the story should not have a happy ending.
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

kenberg

• View Profile
Re: could this hand possibly be interesting?
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2020, 05:32:06 PM »
Partner is 2=2=4=5 so indeed the hears are AK tight. We lpay A from AK at T1 bt often lead K from AK in the middle of a hand, particularly if we are not planning t play both. For example on this hand he could play the K and when it holds the trick it will be obvious to me that he golds the A, while if he leads the A it will not be obvious he holds the K. So we could say that A then K is an attention getter and so is from AK tight. And anyway, why on earth would he play AK unless he is hoping for a ruff?

So:
Kx
AK
KJxx
AKxxx

Actually he did well to restrain himself and accept the relay to !C, it must have been tempting to overrule me and bid 3NT, a disaster. Even 3!C can be set: !S to the A, !D through cashing AQ, then a ruff, the later they get a trump.

Now as to the play, I think he erred, but fortunately so did declarer.  For one thing, if he gets his ruff then the K will drop if declarer plays for it. Also, after the!D Q holds and dummy takes the !S finesse, now we have to take our firth trick. Instead, he led another !D. Dummy took it and led a !S drawing trump. He can now get back to the board via a small spot that is still in dummy and cash his hearts. [In more detail: As the cards were, declarer was dealt a 6=3=2=2 shape so, after drawing trump,  he could have just led a !H to get to the board and then pitched his !C on the last !H. But even if he had been 6=2=3=2 he could have reached the board in trump. Of course maybe then he would have gambled on playing a third !H while on the board, and pard could ruff, but surely the cashing of the AK would make him suspicious of that line. If by any chance declarer started as 6=2=4=1 we just are not beating this. ]

Instead declarer played a !C !. Whew.

Often we have to work out shape from logic rather than carding. When in with the !S K, partner can see what is likely to happen if he plays a !D. So he reasons: "Maybe the !C will cash, maybe it won't, but if it doesn't then we are not setting this no matter what I play. " To once again borrow from Yogi Berra, bridge is 90% logic and the other half is signals.

I am not particularly after partner's scalp in this, I have often made errors, often obvious errors at least in retrospect. I found the hand interesting because despite my lack of values I had to make a number of choices that I did not see as obvious. At T1, it was easy because I have three cards, thus I signal an odd number. But I easily might have had four cards. At this point I did not know partner had long !C.  Clearly if I have 2 I signal even if I have 3 I signal odd, but if I have 4? I really would not welcome a !C continuation since (a) it would set up the Q and (b) perhaps even be ruffed as the Q was established. Often we assume that if we just signal even partner will know enough about the hand to know if it is 4 or 2 but on this auction that's not the case.

My guess is that only the most expert pairs have discussed which spot to play from a four card holding here. I really think it has to be small both with 3 and 4. Note that std carding versus udca does not help at all in resolving this.

Going back yo logic instead of signals, I think that after T1, the !C A holding, partner can see 5 tricks providing both AKs cash. If they don't,  we need a !D trick. There might be something to be said for a !D, maybe the J,  at T2. Partner will still have a choice after declarer takes it and takes the !S finesse, but it seems lie a good shot. Largely it comes to hoping his two AKs cash.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 01:26:06 PM by kenberg »
Ken